/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1316180/
amazon.com/Hosa-MHE-100-5-Right-Angle-Headphone-Adaptor/dp/B000068O6B/
youtube.com/watch?v=IKqV7DB8Iwg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks for the tasteful image OP.

Find a flaw.

It's so good that it causes massive butthurt which leads to /hpg/ shitposting.

Proprietary plug. Ugly pattern. Shitty polycarbonate headband. Boring sound signature.

Does anyone still care about the K7XX and TH-X00? The non-detachable cable with the Fostex might be a dealbreaker for me though.

i'm itching to buy either one even though I didn't care about either one back then. I knew I wouldn't be getting the HD6XX until Christmas and I thought I would be fine with it, but my consumerist desire wants a new headphone to pair with the HD6XX as a massdrop twin or whatever.

are there any other recommended items from Massdrop?

hey guys remember me?

That resolution.

>people actually used to recommend these bass cannons

*snaps*

What should I buy if I should buy akg k612 but I don't want to?

I don't know if you should buy, but you should buy if you don't know.

Beats.

people still recommend the DT880s so go figure.

i really hope my tinnitus goes away if I get an ear flush..

Why haven't you already bought an earwax removal syringe at a local drug store and used it?

I thought it was something like a few drops of mineral oil at bedtime for a few days then syringe? Would a one-day procedure work as great? I was also under the impression that the syringe was done by a doctor or nurse so I'm a bit scared of doing it myself.

Should I even get my hopes had if I had this ringing for at least 6 years or something already?

They used to be only $100. At that price range there were no better closed 'phones.

And now these exist and they're open.

Sure, it was years ago that that was the case. There are now better alternatives for both open and closed 'phones in that price range.

It's nice that random companies come up with good and cheap alternatives to popular and overpriced stuff sometimes. I wish the same would happen in the CPU and GPU industry.

>I wish the same would happen in the CPU and GPU industry.

That's a whole other ball game compared to plastic headphones. Hell of a cost of entry in that market, which is why you only have 2 or 3 players in it essentially. Best you can hope for now is that competition drives those few players to give a shit and make good/inexpensive hardware.

Just get one like this that shoots at angles instead of directly into the ear canal. They sell them at most drug stores. I use these frequently because I produce above average earwax amounts. You have nothing to be afraid of. I use them at least once a month and I've never injured myself with them. You just fill it with body temperature water (so you don't get dizzy), stick it in your ear with your ear pointed down over the sink, then depress the plunger rapidly to shoot it in your ear. Repeat until chunks of wax no longer come out into the sink. You don't need to use drops of oil or anything like that. Repeated syringe use will get all the wax out; it always works for me.
These syringes are a lot safer than a fucking super soaker, which a doctor successfully used in Africa without injuring the patient: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1316180/
You have nothing to worry about. The syringe will work and will not injure you.

I'd argue V6s were always better.

>We feel that prospective randomized trials are warranted to evaluate the utility of the Super Soaker Max-D 5000 in clinical settings.
Holy shit, my sides.

i'll take a look at what the pharmacy near me has. can't imagine what sort of build up I must have by now with only using Q-tips

Just be sure to drain your ears thoroughly after using it to prevent swimmer's ear. Lay on each side with a tissue under your ear for about five minutes per side after doing the syringe.

I got some Photive PH-BTH3s, what ear pads are compatible with these?

I want something a bit more cushy and hopefully not pleather as summer's coming and heat and pleather don't mix well on skin.

And for future reference and for the other headphones I have, what are ways of measuring/finding ear pads for your headphones?

My 598 just arrived and it sounded underwhelming as fuck with the 6.3mm to 3.5 adapter, I tried it with a replacement cable that doesn't require an adapter (3.5mm/2.5mm) and now it sounds much better. Is this expected?

>Is this expected?
Must be a cable impedance issue.

Also, describe the difference in sound.

>S N A P

I did some further testing and could reproduce the same problem w/ the replacement cable as well when twisting around the 3.5mm connector.

>describe the difference in sound.
low volume on one side, nonexistent bass, sometimes no lyrics (kek)

>cable impedance issue
what do? thanks anons.

After reading your further information I can say that's not a cable impedance issue.
>when twisting around the 3.5mm connector.
At which end? The end that goes into the headphones or the end that goes into your audio source?

audio source (PC). I own an X2 as well and never had this problem.

>Butthurt
>Not everyone tired of the massive shilling

If two separate cables produce the same problem when twisting the connector inside your PC's audio jack that suggests a loose solder connecting your PC's audio jack to your motherboard or soundcard. You probably first noticed it with the adapter because non-right-angle adapters lead to a lot of downward force being applied by the hanging cable, which acts like a lever, pushing the female jack upwards. That's why I always recommend right angle adapters. Anyways, that's not a problem with your new headphones. If you're handy with a soldering iron you might be able to fix your PC's audio jack.

I'm looking for headphones to complement my hd650 under $400, currently thinking on the k712 but would like other recommendations

>I own an X2 as well and never had this problem.
I believe that has a 3.5mm jack on the end of its cable, meaning you weren't using an adapter up until now. Using the non-right-angle adapter may have literally loosened a solder connecting your headphone jack to your mobo/soundcard. Again, that's why I always recommend right-angle adapters, because non-right-angle 6.3 to 3.5mm adapters literally break headphone jacks.

amazon.com/Hosa-MHE-100-5-Right-Angle-Headphone-Adaptor/dp/B000068O6B/ these are the proper kind of 6.3mm to 3.5mm stereo adapters to use. These don't break headphone jacks.

I think you're right about the problem being broken jacks, but it's odd because I just tested an X2 and cannot reproduce the issue at all even when applying a bit of force on the connector. 598 in comparison seems way to sensitive.

I think the chances of both of the cables you're using with the 598 being faulty are slim, but you should probably test the 598 with both cables in a different source for the sake of thorough troubleshooting. You have a phone you can test this with, right? It's definitely not your new headphones. It's either your PC jack or both 598 cables are faulty.

I figured it out. Both cables and the headphones seem fine. The problem was a combination of the adapter keep slipping out a tiny bit (because of its weight, as you suspected), and my weak ass arms being unable to plug in the cable fully into the audio source, which is why the same issues happened with the replacement cable.

Thanks again user, I'll donate to EFF on your behalf.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Thank you, that's quite interesting.

Hey, I'm the user from a little while back who was looking at a new headset.
I got my HD 558 in, and it doesn't have a volume wheel. I'm going to end up sending them back, but does the senheiser 558 not actually have a volume control or did I get a bad pair?

>volume knob on a set of headphones
What? Are you mentally challenged?

I'm moving around quite a bit so I'm in need for some wireless headphones. I've seen that currently the sennheiser RS165 are on sale for 135€. Anyone ever tried those? I want to spend like 150€ tops.

>want to buy HD600
>want to listen to them before spending shekels
>no shop anywhere near me seels them
>need to travel at least 100km
Why is this allowed?

I mean something to adjust it.

And I'm stupid, that's what the boompro was for.

Ehh, usually high-end headphones are to be used with something that allows you to control the volume easily like an amp or pre-amp. How are you driving the headphones?

Does anyone have an issue with Win10 and an external DAC/Amp being extremely loud?

Using a Magni 2 uber and Modi 2 uber. Have windows volume at 15-25% and Magni at max 11:00. Yes it's not set on hi gain.

WTF, get a Schiit Fulla 2 bro.

Also, your boompro would work with a phone since most phones have support for a TRRS configuration 3.5mm jack, but most computers do not have support for TRRS and only support TRS, meaning no volume control.

What headphones? uber stack, gain low, HD600, Windows 10 at 100%, 8-12 o'clock is reasonable listening volume most of the time, whereas 12+ is loud.

I have a k702 and k712 on hand.

Yeah, that's what I'd think too, but it only had a chord.
I wish you were here several threads ago to tell me then. I got a pretty big consensus that the 558's are the best choice, and to tell the truth, it seems to work, and the boompro fixes the need for that
sorry, you mean phone like headphone right? Could that depend on the Motherboard, too?

BTW to everyone concerned I'm using Realtek to adjust, and the slider on the boompro for on the fly volume

>I got a pretty big consensus that the 558's are the best choice, and to tell the truth, it seems to work, and the boompro fixes the need for that
Good. The HD558 is indeed very good value/money.

Yeah, the Fulla 2 is where it's at for driving entry level 'high-end' headphones such as yours. If you have the Fulla, it eliminates the need for the BoomPro and any problems that come with TRRS. The support for TRRS does depend on the motherboard, but for headphones like that you shouldn't be using the audio from your motherboard at all, an external DAC/Amp like the Fulla 2 is far superior in audio quality and practicality. Even this lowest DAC/Amps like the FiiO E10K is superior to on-board audio.

The only real issue I'm having right now is it sounds, for a lack of better words, floaty. I did the mod removing the foam, so I'm not sure if it's a matter of that or something else
The point of the boompro was also for the microphone, i wanted a headset mic, and this offered the best of both worlds for a good price

Not him but I had the fiio e10k with dt 990 pro 250 ohm and they weren't strong enough to drive them. Especially when I was listening to music that had more bass in it you could audibly hear how the music got more quiet every time there was a bit more bass.

You probably could've gotten a USB microphone for the same price and then the DAC/amp, but if you find the BoomPro to be more convenient then it's up to you.

That's typical when it's only getting its power from the 5V USB standard, but if the E10K couldn't drive them, then I wager that the mobo audio couldn't either. That's why it's probably best to buy a decent amp first and upgrade your headphones as need be without ever needing to upgrade the amp.

I do, it's more familiar too. I find this more akin to the many I've had before, and I don't have to worry about it falling over like my previous desk mic. I got these headphones just in time too, I'm leaving to the bahamas today

Well, have fun with your tropical vacation while enjoying some good headphones.

Sure, but for the budget of HD558+amp/dac, it makes more sense to get better headphones, like HD579.

Thanks, I may end up leaving them here, I really don't want them to get ruined, and since the only way I'll be able to listen to music is via cellphone, I'll probably use an old pair I got hidden away. It's gonna be a long two weeks

Why is the low IQ riffraff so obsessed with bass?

Big boom boom leaves little to think about or comprehend, and normally blocks out things niggers dislike such as words aka lyrics.

youtube.com/watch?v=IKqV7DB8Iwg

>unironically using the term riffraff

>Budget: 300€
>Location: Europe
>Source: PC
>Type of headphone: Full-Sized
>Open or closed: Closed
>Comfort level: comfy over quality
>Sound signature: V shaped or Mid forward
>Past headphones: ath m50x, hd 598, fidelio x2, ath msr7

>Sound signature: V shaped or Mid forward
Aren't V-shape and mid forward exact opposite signatures?
How about DT770? V-shape, good build and comfy as fuck.

I wish I would've seen this earlier. Man fuck beyerdynamics.

>piss bottles
>greasy keyboard

sasuga beyer owners

Yes they are the exact opposite, but I like all low/high or all mid not some balanced shit

>low/high
DT770 has excellent bass, it's tighter than your average loli's first time chinese cartoon experience and highs can be sharp but if you like MSR7 you won't have a problem.
Get the 250 Ohm version and invest the rest in an amp like O2, Schiit Fulla 2 or Magni/Modi (always forget which one is the amp part because shit's always stacked).

rock zircons or kz zs5?

>bass
Sigh, riffraff.

Amp/dac combo that's capable of driving 250 ohm dt990's and HD600s? I could maybe settle for just an amp because I have a shitty dac but I would much prefer a desktop dac/amp.
$150 USD is my price range.
If optical in is superior to USB then I want that. Can't be powered by USB though no way that will output enough power. The fulla 2 isn't capable of driving the beyers well, I tried that at my friend's house. My 1.2 vrm dragonfly black is also incapable of driving them well. So more power than either of those.

>bass
lel

>riffraff
>anything below 100Hz is bad

>insists on bass
ooga booga go back to africa.

He asked for V-shape and there's good and bad bass you autistic retard.

>there's good and bad bass
You mean, like... fast?

lack of bass extension, bass could be tighter and punchier. it's also veiled, though mildly enough that it's hard to notice.

hd600 owner btw.

>Amp/dac combo that's capable of driving 250 ohm dt990's and HD600s? I could maybe settle for just an amp because I have a shitty dac but I would much prefer a desktop dac/amp.
>$150 USD is my price range.
If you have a DAC already, go Magni 2.
That has plenty of room, in power budget.

>it's also veiled,
Are you not using a dedicated headphone amp?
Their midrange should be excellent, if you get anything else that'd suggest issues.

>good bass
DT770, MSR7, Zircon, etc.
>bad bass
Beats, MDR-1A, Bose, etc.

>list of headphones with bad/good bass
Can you describe what makes bass good?

Speed

What makes bass... fast?

Entirely subjective. I like tight, punchy, fast quality bass that optimally extends very low and quantity is nice to have but not the deciding factor.
Bad bass will bleed into the mids and sound like your headphones shove diarrhea into your ears (aka beats).
Bad bass ususally has problems keeping up with the speed of the music and seperation of low end notes or it's completely overloaded mid bass.

DT770 have a lot of bass but it's not bloated or muddy and also has good extension, that's nice. Can be too much for solely music if you're used to veiled headphones w/o bass but it's awesome for movies and gaymen.
MSR7 is just.. it's there. It's not too much, it's tight, fast, extension could be better but whatever. MSR7 are perfect, zero mud/bloat. Easily the best purchase this year.
Rock Zircons, if i remember correctly they are somewhat similar to DT770. Mine broke too long ago and i didn't buy a replacement.

q701

th-x0, though you missed it.

can confirm. use hydrogen-peroxide based drops, let them sit for a while, then flush your ears. make sure the syringe tip will not injure you, so a soft flexible tip or one that can't go deep. I did this for impacted ear wax, which sucks by the way and is much worse than waxy ears but thankfully not painful (usually). I felt like it was not working because my hearing was not immediately restored but I just kept with it and I could tell the blockage was getting broken up a bit. on the 3rd day my hearing was restored. by the 5th day my hearing was better than it had been in a while. don't try and force it, just keep with it.

balance, impact, tightness and not bleeding into the mids. also no audible distortion and/or resonances.

yes I'm using an amp. the mids are amazing, but like the 598 it still has a slight veil in the upper mids into the highs that prevents it sounding as detailed and airy as my AKG. I don't like beyer treble spikes but I wish I could split the difference between the hd600 and q701. but hey it's a "laid back" headphone and probably the best of that kind, for open anyways. just my preference in sound, but I think people who say the 600 is perfect in every part of the FR are wrong.

Do you have anything higher end, such as HD600?
What about k712 and such?

Magnitude and phase response

>fast bass

It's like I'm on Head-Fi.

This thread is getting worse and worse.

No but HD600 is on my list. I don't have time to go around listening to and shopping for new headphones right now but soon i will.
Idk if i will like the "Sennheiser veil" though and what about K712? I also consider MSR7 higher end, they just sound amazing.

>who cares about...
I do. I prefer the k7xx over the 6xx and if the non detachable cable is a issue on the thx00 then make it detachable