Freedom Respecting UMPC

>open software
>open hardware
>actively developed based on community input

So why aren't you buying the umpc of the future? This is handcrafted to hit all criteria Sup Forums loves so much

Other urls found in this thread:

dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra
youtu.be/2rSt6bbAAb4?t=80
youtube.com/watch?v=bVYlrv0kbdA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But the pyra doesn't exist. It is still """""in production"""""

>ARM
What if I want to do something productive instead of playing angry birds or ricing debian mobile so I can get maximum internet points in desktop threads?

nothing you do is productive so it doesnt matter

4U maybe, I'm an ebay seller that constantly has to use photo programs, clean things and test them to make sure they work before putting them in auction/BIN.

Used cheap tablets with keyboard cases are the best umpcs prove me wrong

>used cheap tablets
>relying on ios or shitdroid for mouse and keyboard. Terrible experience with mouse+keyboard,super gimped multitasking, and restricted to baby mobile apps

ok next

>debian mobile is better

The open meme is overrated.
Great idea, bad execution.
Swappable CPU? ARM model and X86 model? Two CPUs?
And I think there's Debian for ARM.
Also Android.
Sometimes you need a full functioning PC in your pocket.

>pay hundreds for angry birds "umpc"
>pay hundreds more to install a dual-core x86 processor from 2010
lol

Because I don't want a "UMPC". The thing's too small for me to comfortably use it for much of anything.

If they made a freedom-respecting 15-inch laptop, as in a new one, not just libreboot for a few select old Thinkpad models, I'd be interested.

why would anyone on earth use one of these when you can get a 11" netbook with a full size keyboard

yea but it is since its an actual OS and any important package is already compiled for arm

? Those units exist and they work. They are willing to ship out "preproduction" ones if you don't want to wait for the larger manufacturing runs

>device specially developed for freedums and privacy
>not honey pot
pick one

It can run Firefox, Libre Office, GIMP, VLC, and all kinds of other stuff. If your first thought was to play games on it, productivity obviously matters little to you.

>Libre Office
>productivity
lmao'd @ ur ass

>t. has never used Libre Office

>So why aren't you buying the umpc of the future?

Because it's fucking expensive for what I get.
If I wanted to pay premium to "Think Different" I'd buy Apple.

Screen is shit.
Keyboard is shit.
Size is shit.

The only good thing about it is the open software and hardware, but that's not good enough for me to pay premium for it.
Especially not when the "open software" part (Linux) can be installed on virtually any notebook/netbook in existence.

>Libre Office
Use WPS.
>GIMP
Use PS + WINE.

The gamepad and dual analog sticks that occupy 50% of the "keyboard" screams """productivity""".

The keyboard looks like trash. The Controller portion looks like it would give you instant carpal tunnel. It just looks fucking dumb.

Obviously marketing thread

Everyone knows its not a umpc, it's a mobile phone in a fancy case with a tiny keyboard.

It's a umpc when you can install desktop versions of operating systems and run x86.

As someone who doesn't care about freedom I sure wish GPD would release a WIN 2.0 that didn't look like shit/had a better CPU.

Just get a chromebook with GalliumOS

I preordered this like a year and a half ago. At the time there was a working prototype and the whole last year and a half has been spent trying to make the 4GB ram work (still not working), plus tweaks to the keyboard, case, display, etc.

Evildragon always says it will be ready in "two months™"

Just cuck my butt up fampai

i absolutely love these but they cost too much. why would i use one?
what more can this thing do comfortably that my 30$ zipit z2 can't?

>UMPC
>future
pick one

Has anyone asked RMS or Terry Davis what their opinions of it are?

the whole point of that device was that they baited poor devs to make emulators for their hardware. "free" and "open source" software so they could sell their overpriced hardware.

>>So why aren't you buying the umpc of the future?

It doesn't respects my wallet.

Empty your wallet
Dry vagina
Look horrible
Be shilled by some group or another

>I sure wish I can buy some chink shit for my games
>Not a European masterpiece with s background of durability

The $300 doesn't look like such a big gap when you don't have the foresight of a poor person.

WHY ISN'T THIS SHILLED MORE!

Where can I buy this?

>They are willing to ship out "preproduction" ones if you don't want to wait for the larger manufacturing runs
ptitseb already got his, expect a gozillian ports at launch

dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra

here my friend. There will be resellers in the usa too

There's no point in worrying whether or not my freedoms will be respected if the device that's supposed to be respecting them isn't even good for the things for which freedom needs to be respected.

Oldschool palmtops were actually made to be used, they were built for general computing tasks and usually featured a software environment that was actually made for the form factor.

These pieces of shit are just $25 SBCs pre-assembled in a glorified keyboard/LCD case kit with a regular desktop version of Debian lazily thrown on with no other attention paid to it, they look bulky, ugly as shit and more like a toy made for overgrown children who want a gaming device they can jerk off to being "open" rather than a device for actually accomplishing something useful.

Stop shilling this piece of overpriced weak-ass trash and back something actually worthy of the mantle instead. Same goes for GPDshit.

What's the difference between standard and normal? The prices seem reasonable. How does it compare against GPD WIN? Other than being unable to run winshit.

UMPC special snowflake shits strike again

$60 android phone
$20 bluetooth keyboard
Dual boot any linux you want

-Real keyboard, real power, real portability.
-No $800 special snowflake kickstarter bullshit
-Android community of 10 years superior to IRC linux dropout pre-suicide shits who only got into UMPCs to be contrarians

muh "but if I don't get a shitty UMPC, how will I appear different to normies who don't care anyway?"!

What makes this better that my librebooted thinkpad? Can it even run libreboot?

>he uses libre office
>he doesn't use comfy vim+LaTeX

>he doesn't have any income outside welfare

standard and normal?
There are standard and mobile, for a total of 4 versions.
2gb/4gb standard
2gb/4gb mobile

The mobile means it has mobile bands to connect to 4g internet like phones if you want that functionality.

The biggest difference from the gpdwin would be build quality, that has an awful keyboard. Ive owned the open pandora and it has a nice keyboard and people say theirs have held up 8 years. people are crying about the shitty keyboard on the win and the shoulder buttons wobbling badly out of the box

pyra pros:
>better button layout
>back-lit keyboard
>clickable nubs
>2 TF slots in front and one microSD slot under battery
>long battery life
>easier to open and maintain than GPD
>hardware supported by custom linux distro

cons:
>underpowered ARM CPU (huge dealbreaker)
>weak powerVR GPU
>THICC
>linux only (face it most vidya is on windows)

the pyra looks hawt af. controls look awesome! i bought a pandora and its sad but ive never used it its still in mint condition in its box.

Shit I'm retarded, normal = mobile. It's kinda late here I wasn't paying attention to what I'm writing.
Thanks for the clarification. I might get one of those for on the go gaymin. I was looking into portable gaming devices for the past 2 weeks.

>Linux only
Didn't Microsoft brag they'll bring W10 to ARM soon™? Plus, all console emulators are on Linux as well so all you'll lose are some windows exclusives. You wouldn't be able to play any AAA games on this anyway so you don't lose that many games.

imagine feeling this personally attacked and insecure about a portable computer form factor

sell that shit on ebay, i've seen sold listings for open pandoras going for $400

there's always like one or two posts in every pyra thread that read like either a shill or a fresh off the boat redditor who has no reason to be here

go worship this toy on r/gaming with the rest of the plebs

yea but most games youd run on this are lower spec ones or emulators, both categories already cater to linux users.

windows on these tiny lower powered devices is terrible since you waste so much of the power just running the os. It is THICC to make space for a B I G battery

>use WINE

>ARM
>free
lmao
at least on Intel you can put OSS firmware and the hardware is documented

>/csg/

learn VI or Emacs, stop using ATOM for your HTML shit

You do that manually ? You dont have scripts for that, poor Julio

I agree windows is resource heavy, but as far as games are concerned there are some in my library that haven't been ported to linux and fiddling with WINE is a pain in the ass, it won't run them all without bumping into some issues.
Hell GPD manages to play Last Remnant just fine, doubt pyra can handle a game of that calibre with WINE when it struggles to even run video related:
>youtu.be/2rSt6bbAAb4?t=80
It needs a better ARM processor.

>Hellolo

>cons:
>THICC

Haha I understand what you mean my friend, I am a loyal Lenovo customer. I love their business class thinkpads!

Are the drivers for the graphics acceleration actually open or will I have to use this thing in some crippled state while praying that some chip manufacturer plays ball or some autist manages to reverse engineer a barely functional open driver?

Is EvilDragon a tranny or a woman? Based on the latest update It sounds like they wont ship anything before September at the very earliest.

haha my man what the fuck are you doing pulling out that strawman when this piece of chink shit is exactly the kind of product that would appeal to the typical contrarian thinksheep who doesn't do anything with their tech but waste time take pictures of it

tell whatever dumbass hired you to market that trash that they're making us cringe too hard and they need to leave

No, the OMAP in it uses a PowerVR GPU, which does not have FOSS drivers.

>uses non-Chink SoC
>mostly produced in Germany
>chink shit

>I buy niche tech and I don't do anything with it
>S-s-so you must too !!

>ARM
>open hardware

Lad...

Go ahead, try running wine on arm.

If windows can run on ARM, why can't windows applications run on ARM?
youtube.com/watch?v=bVYlrv0kbdA

Materials look cheap as fuck.

it's not "Debian mobile", it's just Debian. It's a full desktop OS

you just described me

Because wine isn't an emulator, it's merely an implementation of the windows API. It can't magically make an x86 binary run on ARM. You have qemh for that.

hello luke

libreoffice is fine

>open hardware
what processor does it use

First prototypes. They were literaly made off leftover plastic from some industrial shit.

What if I was running windows on ARM can I use any application then?