Free hardware

Hello /g
Let's have a thread for help us finding free Hardware, laptop and more for running our favorite Linux Distribution.

What is the maximum Free we can find/buy

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/amd-libre.html
hackaday.com/2017/01/14/blob-less-raspberry-pi-linux-is-a-step-closer/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I found an original xbox that I run Linux on in the trash does that count

Well i don't know,
is Xbox Free ?

Purism is pretty nice, but don't count on a free CPU.

Implement risc v in an fpga

minifree.org T400 with libreboot

>minifree.org
the Core 2 Duo P8400 don't intel IME shit?

You can also find X200 on ebay with libreboot

libreboot.org/amd-libre.html
What do you think?
Would AMD benefit from this? Would they get positive reputation doing this?

This desu. FPGAs are the final frontier.

Now it's all a question of trusting FPGAs...

Raspberry Pis got intensely scrutinized, they're pretty good. They're almost entirely free aside from a software blob on the GPU side, without which you can only run VGA modes.

Meaning you can have a libre Rpi in terminal mode.

Don't hold your breath. Alphabet agencies will never allow it.

>let's buy free hardware

I wish there was a separate word for that

Like in Finnish, vapaa vs ilmainen

>minifree.org T400 with libreboot
>Libreboot T400
>€198.00–€428.00
No thanks.

My God you guys are insufferable

But Finnish is retarded in every aspect possible

That's pretty paranoid thinking.
For now, at least.

>His language doesnt have a single word for the expression "From our dog too"

You're just jealous

That's what makes it retarded desu.
"Tämä on koiraltammekin"

Libre is a good loanword to use. Shame its native english counterpart liberal has too many conotations in modern english.

I want to run a linux distro but I'm concerned I'm not going to be able to game. I play a lot of steam based games, and Battle.net games. Including overwatch, heroes of the storm, and hearthstone.

I'd also like to run gta 5. Is it possible for me to do this, or should I stay on windows?

The reason I ask is because I want to do an AMD Ryzen build soon, and I have a few Os's picked out and I'm really excited but concerned.

GPU Passthrough on KVM

If sacrificing your freedom really worth it to play some shitty games that you won't even care about in 5 years worth it? Go free, or go home. There is no in between.

What about the Asus Tinker Board? It uses the same SoC as the Chromebook C201 which can run Libreboot and supposedly works with the mainline Linux kernel. Not much information on them currently though.

it uses xfat as its filesystem which is propietary.

Best bet is Raspberry Pi like said. I'm thinking about using one with Debian as my main computer until we can get at least dual core RISC-V CPUs that are clocked at like 1-2GHz. You can't run shit on the little 300MHz single core ones they have now.

Does anyone know more about the Raspberry Pi situation? Is the non-free firmware lisensced through a third party or can we petition them to release the source?

The most free you can get is not using any computers.

Unless something has changed with the Raspberry Pi, you need blobs to even be able to boot it. You'd be better off with an older Thinkpad that can use Libreboot.

You know what my dad always taught me (and I was raised in a capitalist society, in england and france.. with my parents) he said listen, as long as you can afford to buy things - you're free, as soon as you start getting things for free, you're hooked HAHAHAHA

>raspberry pi
>free hardware

fucking lmao m'lord

It cannot even boot without nonfree software.

Some people are working on a FOSS replacement for that blob and it is now possible to boot the Raspberry Pi without that blob. You do end up losing quite a few features though.
hackaday.com/2017/01/14/blob-less-raspberry-pi-linux-is-a-step-closer/

How many times was he dropped on his head as a child?

Our business basically gives away free hardware.

Start some bullshit charity, takes 5 mins. Call up mid size companies and ask if they will donate their old laptops and junk as a writeoff

you will be neck deep in obsolete thinkpads in a week trust me

similar schemes to this are where all the $200 thinkpads come from on ebay, but once you get to ebay some poor faggot has to box them up, make sure they work, provide some semblance of "it will work when you get it warranty" pay jew bay, pay shipping, take photos etc... but they don't have $20 in the the damn laptops it's all labor

>find xbox
>run linux on it in the trash

W...Why don't you just take it out of the trash?

dual boot free windows 10

We aren't talking about free as in gratis, user.

Is it actually possible to efficiently "install" risc-v on a fpga? Are there implementations of it that one could use?

We can hope for open FPGAs, with blueprints and stuff.

kek

It's symbolic because Linux is trash.