Windows users - Why have you not switched to Linux yet?

Windows users - Why have you not switched to Linux yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoscroll/occjjkgifpmdgodlplnacmkejpdionan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because I use my computer for working, not installing the newest edgy window manager

Start10 allows me to make start menu look like Win7

Because I use my computer for shootan gaymes, not installing the newest edgy window manager.

>hundreds of different and incompatible distributions
>no support for out of tree binary device drivers, unless you compile it for your specific distro kernel
>no standard desktop environment
>lack of industry-standard software
>toxic community

I just use my computer for work and some games, it's not part of my lifestyle or personality. I have shit to do besides fuck around with dependencies my whole life.

yeah, the community is enough to instantly drive a normal person away from using Linux. nobody wants to be talked down to by a fat autism sufferer or be told to read some ancient obsolete wiki that doesn't even answer their question.
autism killed Linux before it ever started.

Because I stopped using the command line for pointless shit in the early 90s when dos finally fucked off.

I'm not going back. Fuck Linux.

I still use the CLI to run a script or something once in a while, other than that it's useless.

I'm a dumb pajeet

Doubles never lie!

It doesn't work as i want it to

Stop posting Christopher Bane you dumbass

Tried it, pathetic for desktop use.
Tried mac, much better for desktop use and I would be using it right now had apple opened up hardware wise (which in turn brings in the games) but alas.

C H E C K E D

I have Linux Mint on my shitty notebook because my parents use it so it's easier not to catch shit virus and it runs better than Windows, but I still use Spydows on my PC because gayming.

Why haven't Windows fags not become rich enough to buy a Mac?

Because I play vidya instead of playing with some commands

Because...

WINDOWS 7

I use Visual Studio (C#) for work.

I play games.

I use office, and no, that piece of shit libreoffice doesn't even come close to this.

Ditched Windows years ago, never going back especially with shit like Win10

There's no Paint 3D to make three dimensional Polandballs.

I have the shitty Bash on Ubuntu on Windows that works pretty well but if that's not enough I just run Linux in a vm. Also have a couple bideogames on Windows

I have no reason to

You could go mac imho.
Still would have C# visual studio and office + many other better alternatives and most important real terminal.

video games and it just works

Video games.

>I play games.

because dumbass Linux won't scroll a webpage on touchscreen. instead it just fucking points

VSTs

1. Windows is comfy, I mean it does all the things i need, so why switch?
2. What distro should I install? There are so many of them
3. Muh games

Because I'm autistic, those colorful tiles are the only thing that can get me an erection.

Dual boot master race. Win10 and Arch (honestly all linux is the same but I fell for the meme), it used to be Win10 and Debian Testing. The only thing that keeps me from going to Linux full time is games. My productivity stuff is all PDF, docx and pptx. Nothing any office suite can't do. Windows is better if something needs to be done fast. There isn't (to my knowledge) a way to have drivers install when a device is plugged in for the first time. I like how "free" as in freedom linux is but its only "free" as in gratis if your time is worthless.

because i already dual boot linux and win10. windoze for games and linux for work

Can someone recommend a Linux distro that is:

>easy to install / configure
>looks good out of the box (I don't like customization)
>isn't arch/gentoo

?

L T S B
T
S
B

Video Games

elementary os

Games, but I mostly just play TF2 or OpenRCT in my down time so I rarely need to boot into Windows

I need Windows for school cause I'm an IT student and there's a lot of Windows-specific stuff. I'd dual boot but I couldn't get it to work with my BIOS. Linux always refuses to boot, tried turning off secure boot and turning off UEFI and still nothing. So for now I'm stuck with Windows.

I use Linux everyday at work and it makes me miserable. Command line is a massive time sink for basic tasks.

lol, do you even grep?

The only reason to run linux is to cling to old hardware. I use Bunsen Labs on my lattitude d430 but that's it, I haven't found a strong enough reason to completely switch away from windows

I don't plan on switching until I understand where and why directories and files are placed where they are and how the fucking repo system works. I'm sick of looking up how it works only to be met with "do this command" when I'm trying to understand what it's doing in the first place.

Bash is cool, though. It is a selling point to me.

thats like refusing to speak a language until you know x thing, you learn x by using the language.
if you don't use a shit distro, the wiki will usually tell you.
else google, else stackexhange

How it's supposed to work
/home - user directories
/usr - user-installed programs and config
/bin - system programs
/etc - Editable text configuration
/boot - the bootloader

Nothing else you really need to know

As for repos, it depends on the distro, but basically there's a program that manages "packages" of programs and their dependencies. There's a centralized repository containing these packages. When you install a package, the package manager gets the info about the package and the required files from the repo and places them where they're supposed to go. Some distros let you add third party repos, and other things, but you shouldn't really need to know that stuff for a working system.

Yeah exactly

Try grabbing the actual scroll bar dumby, it's not a phone. Arch on my touchscreen laptop here, just werks.

So does classic shell

not the os, but the programs my dude.

>I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'll just shitpost and shill

wincucks are all babies that will break down crying when they can't figure out how to configure the most basic settings on linux

They don't want to realize microsoft was hand holding them this entire time.

In order to configure even basic things, you need tutorials or guides because you can't expect a begginer linux user to know stuff beforehand.

Thats the problem with linux, there is no problem with having to configure stuff trough the terminal to do advanced stuff, thats great.
But soon enough you'll find something that is not working properly and what you do? You have to search for how to solve problems on the internet. And you waste time.
The nice DEs, file managers and everything that makes linux more friendly won't prevent that from happening.

I wish Linux to succeed but there are a lot of things to improve.

>the reason Linux isn't user friendly is because people don't use it prior to using it
>the reason people don't use it is because they don't use it
You could say that when trying any OS for the first time, including Mac and Windows. I doubt you knew how to do everything needed done in windows when you were younger.
Of course you'll need tutorials on things if you've never done them before. This doesn't mean Linux isn't user friendly.

- no games
- I am not a hacker and can't fix shit with applying patches or some other dumb crap when something breaks
- driver problems everywhere

I need to use: Arc gis and corel draw for work. So i have no choice.

Because Desktop Linux is a trash fire.

Because I'm not a server.

I use Linux on my laptop, windows was too slow on it and I like to take my laptop into the bathroom with me while I poop so I'll have something to do.

Linux is pointless for desktops but it makes a good poopy time OS

Works on Chrome/Chromium. Did you really check just FF and come to that conclusion?

video games and complacency

im not proud

>when one of your main features is doing a dual boot with your main competition's OS
What a shitty OS, if you ask me... Even Linux can do way better than that

>can't use a VM
Are you poor or just plain retard for an IT student?

games, best I could do to avoid dual booting is setup a VM with GPU passthrough.
Best fence sitting solution so far if you have the hardware and patience for it.
But it creates additional headaches in the long run when it comes time to upgrade your system.

I have a job and other responsibilities.

looks nice

I need software and drivers.

Nice digits, and...

CHECK

>press middle mouse button in any browser
>doesn't scroll
I can't be the only one who doesn't like to use the mouse wheel for large pages

>i have no counterargument so i'm just going to call him a shill

Network and graphics drivers don't work as well. Not as user friendly.

Because I have Linux in Windows.

>inb4 another bash is not linux argument
Windows has had Linux syscalls implemented for a while now, it runs almost everything you throw at it.

>>using a touchscreen for a desktop/laptop

gentoo

Cause I need to use Adobe's apps and I dont have money to buy a Mac.

You're not alone user

But who was onenote and sketchbook pro??

Because I actually want to do some work, be productive, play video games besides tux racer, not constantly obsess with the command line, something that actually is compatible with what most others use, etc.

Name one reason why I should switch besides "Non-Free" or "Anti-Privacy"

I used to have Windows 7 on my desktop about a year ago, and it was the last Windows installation in my house. I got an unwanted Winshit 10 downgrade overnight and that was the last time I used a Micropoo product. I've been using GNU/Linux (mostly Debian) for about 8 years, so pulling my rare pepes and formatting the hard drive was a pretty easy decision to make. I have tried all sorts of Windows 10 versions in VMs and it's truly an abhorrent user experience. I'm perfectly content with XFCE as a desktop environment.

I also have an iMac and a MacBook Pro so I use OS X a lot. It's also good, but I'm probably going to hackintosh in the future because Apple hardware is shit. Not as shit as ASUS, but still pretty fucking shit.

Still as telemetry

It takes less work to remove metro-shit from your menu than to make linux work as good as windows.

Linux is decent if you do not work on your computer or if you do run server.

If you need just text editor for your shit-code go ahead,use android phone,windows phone anything can run and compile code now.

It is just that windows support is MUCH better I do not have to code my own driver for each hardware that I buy...

also muh games lulzik :^) carat nose.

Solus
Zorrin

Any Debian garbage

Coz games and shieeet

Because i use my computer to run games that don't get crippled by opengl when ported to linux.

Because I use my computer for things other than act as a web server or browser

if this copland os is a linux distribution and doesn't have any complex fuckin installation and is out of the box like this. I'm in for linux.

I don't want to relearn how to do things in a terminal, that I know how to do in with a gui.

this

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I want to try PCLinuxOS or Mint. I want it to function similar to Windows (not looks, functions, as if I can go on Steam and download a game and it works fine) until I can get good at other OS' in the Linux family.

/thread for 99% of users

Finally making the switch tonight, just got a server with Windows 2016 (courtesy of the college I work at), installed RemoteApps for the Windows apps I'll still need to use but can't run through Wine.

what you dont realize is that this autism exists in the windows community too but on windows people realized that they dont make money if they behave like total autistic little cuntwagons.
that was never possible for lin00x idiots so they reveled in their little power fantasies instead of actually improving the product to make it usable

Honestly speaking, I made the move from Linux to windows, and it was awesome, I had to revert to windows when I realized that I had to do actual work and not just muck around in the terminal with neofetch. Linux needs full on program compatibility for anyone to pay attention to it as an operating system alternative let alone a competitor with windows.

complete casual fag here. _EVERY_ fucking interaction ive had with linux is a COMPLETE and UNEQUIVOCAL pain in the motherfucking ass. I would rather get an unlubed colonoscopy than to try to figure out how to get the wifi to work by googling for 10 hours before I realize linux 'just doesnt get along' with the drivers for my wireless adaptor.

Because I use my computer for working, not installing the newest edgy window manager

?
Most of the time the device is already supported by drivers that ship with the distro. That's generally not the case in Windows, and I swear I have never successfully had Windows automatically and successfully find the driver when I plug in a device for the first time.

its windows 10 mate, i just know a trick to out Copland OS on the taskbar.

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoscroll/occjjkgifpmdgodlplnacmkejpdionan

Because Linux has shit for software support.

Drivers, Having to go through the trouble of finding alternatives to my Windows Software and the trouble of re-configuring everything for no reason at all and sincerely everything can be summed up as: "I just don't have a single reason to switch to Linux".