/sqt - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread () is autosaging.

Do you have stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread? Ask them here.

Best minimalistic active antivirus? Seems like a common problem with a lot of them to make you system hang with high disk usage.

Comodo is mentioned in the wiki. Is it really any better than normal?

>minimalistic active antivirus
Unplug your pc. So minimal. Much safe.

Windows 10 forced another stupid fucking update on me, as per the norm, and now I can't open any Microsoft apps, including Calculator. It says I can't open it because I am the administrator.

Literally what in the blue fuck does that mean? I'm the only fucking user of the PC, of course I'm the fucking admin. Do I really have to make a dummy account just to use Windows Apps? My laptop doesn't have this "feature" yet, it better not fucking happen there too

microsoft security essentials is the only antivirus that is neither nagware nor rootkit

common sense is even better, but luckily the two can be combined

I literally cannot use the windows search function anymore

I am the ONLY user on the PC. What were they thinking

i currently have a plex server running on my media pc, and am interested in being able to access the drives themselves outside my network. currently, i just teamviewer in, but thats a pain.

what would be the best way to network share drives? samba is out due to all the shitshows, so would i just create a private vpn server and get in that way, or is there something better? ideally, id like the drives to just show up as network drives in explorer wherever i am.

Would it be possible to MacGyver up a CPU cooler (plus a fan) on an Atom board?

Is there a way to apply a delay to an audio stream from the internet? Long story short I want to sync up a the radio audio of a (sports) game with the video but the latter is substantially delayed

Pause the video until it matches up

>samba is out due to all the shitshows
What shitshows?

You fucked up UAC.

Re-activate it to use metro apps.

eternalblue. although that has been patched.

What music player is good on android?
I need bookmarks for podcasts and audiobooks and the like.

How can I hack a wifi hotspot on android
I know the first 4 letters of the password but the rest are all numbers that I forgot.
(there are 4letters then 4numbers)

Does anyone know a website platform that would work for posting stories anonymously? Traditionally the comments section of LiveJournal has been used, and with ToS shit some groups are moving to Dreamwidth, but using the exact same method of posting in the comments. Pic related, it just seems incredibly convoluted and honestly retarded, but a standard message board doesn't seem quite right, either.

Why the fuck are GTX970s rising in value? I can't even upgrade my GPU at all without dropping a ridiculous amount of money.

Is there a preferred benchmarking tool for Windows, or is it a load of bullshit?

Sup Forums
What kind of stories?

Crypto mining clowns would be the most likely culprit.

I am retarded, thank you

>blaming clowns for everything
Fuck you user, clowns are alright.

alright i want to start putting some songs onto CDs to listen to in the car. i'd prefer them to be rewritable. what type/format of CD would i have to get? can cd-rw be played in a cd player?

>can cd-rw be played in a cd player
Heh, what is this 2003. People still use cds? What about aux or bluetooth!

But yeah, audio cds of any format should work everywhere. Some headsets play data cds filled with mp3 files too.

CDs are like $.1, just use a regular CD-R.

It's been a long time, but I believe when a CD is mastered it sets it permanently. Far as I've seen, normal CD players won't recognize songs on those formatted rewritable.

It depends on the age of the player, but the newer ones will read mp3 format. This will store ~10x more than the older one.

Fanfiction, commonly erotic, not always. The idea is the whole request and fill thing, so the fics get nested under the writing prompt, and then comments get nested in with each chapter. The writer is supposed to reply to their first chapter with each new chapter, but it's easy to mess up and reply to the wrong part. And then with the character limit, you get chapters broken up into multiple parts, and all of those are then nested.

There's a matter of tradition, there's a matter of "if it ain't broke", and then there's "we haphazardly threw this method together back in 1999 and not a single fandom has found something better that isn't posting your own works on your own account".

Was the internet invented to post and view pictures and videos of kitties? :3

Why do gaming laptops exist? At this point they're using desktop components, lack the ability to upgrade, and you're forced with a heavy/bulky computer.

Isn't it easier to just get an actual laptop and use it for the occasional vidya or build a mini pc for moving around?

They exist because they apparently found people to market to.

So, I am trying to decide whether I should purchase a game. This is a common theme, that I do not know if my new computer will be able to run it smoothly. (New computer will arrive after Steam sale is over).

Processor: i3-7100u 2.4 GHz – 3 MB cache – 2 cores – 4 threads
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620

Recommended specs:
>Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
>Graphics: 4GB NVIDIA 9xx series card or better with driver version 352.21 or later

Minimum specs:
>Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
>Graphics: 1GB NVIDIA 640 or better with driver version 352.21 or later

I used Shadow of Mordor as an example, but this keeps happening. The computer that I have is an kabylake i3, and the specs all recommend i5 and i7s at greater GHz than what my computer has to offer.

How can I make sense of this? How can I know if a game should run before I buy it? I fucking hate buying games to have to return them because they don't run on my computer.

thanks, yeah i'm terribly indecisive but they are pretty cheap so i guess i'll look into getting those. i do have an aux cable and all that stuff but i was kinda feeling nostalgic for some CDs.
i'm going to drive at like 3am blasting vaporwave

>New computer will arrive after Steam sale is over
Just by it on special and wait till you get your new PC before installing.

Also you can always on low settings and low resolution like a real poorfag.

Simply put, you're under the minimum specs. Integrated graphics don't count for much when it comes to gaming. It doesn't have any VRAM, it works off your normal RAM, which you didn't even post.

Test it. There's only one way to find out.
Also
>It depends on the age of the player, but the newer ones will read mp3 format. This will store ~10x more than the older one.

I'm trying to make the Realtek control panel show up but I'm not having any luck

I have a Lenovo g550 using Windows 10 Pro, and the device manager shows I have a "High Definition Audio Device" with microsoft drivers on it. Realtek installed itself successfully, and I tried both the download in Lenovo's website and on Realtek's, but the thing is that the godforsaken control panel does not show up on system tray nor anywhere.

Please help.

I have 8gb of ram, but I can upgrade it if I want to. Though if I have to upgrade it further, I probably wouldn't get the game in the first place.

It's great to know that I am under the minimum specs. Which ones am I specifically lacking, because it's hard for me to interpret it.

It seems like you are suggesting the graphics are below minimum. What about the processor?

Well yeah... but why 970s?

Is it normal that a phone, when turned off, won't charge when connected to a computer? If turned off, it'll only charge with a charger.

All of them, technically. An i5 is better than an i3, and an i7 is better than an i5. You have an integrated graphics card, which, as I said, has no actual VRAM. Any actual card is going to be better than that, unless you're comparing a super old card to a brand new integrated graphics. Basically, it says the bare minimum is owning a graphics card. You do not own a graphics card. That's going to have the biggest impact on the performance.

Everything else good for etherum is already sold out?

How do you look for torrents? (google is an exception)
I'm looking for rare dvds and I don't have any private trackers and shiet

Cats fucking blow

I guess that means more nethack and solitaire for me, then.

Where to find good flacs rar?

I used to use KAT, then it died, then extratorrents, then it died, now I use Zooqle

I can relate. Also played MUDs at that time, but then you're mixing nethack with a community and that's just a hit or miss.

No, it was invented to shitpost. And developed to facilitate military communications.

Is mining bitcoin an old nintendo dsi possible?
>2 arm9 processors

Yeah, good thing that a lot of my gaming is in-person now, as opposed to on the computer. Perhaps I'll finally be able to run some of the games that I purchased without checking the specs to see if my computer could run that.

There's a fun part where you learn to understand the video settings and tweak it to improve performance based on the power of your video card or CPU.

I had an AMD FX-6300 and it still runs strong this generation.

Integrated graphics is another story.

You are probably unaware, but there are benchmarks for common graphic-instense games. When I was shopping around, I was looking at graphs labelled things like: Fps for Witcher 3 @4k max settings for 20 common GPUs on market.

Your GPU should be ~50% of your build budget. If you have a decent CPU, you will not need to upgrade it much. Unless you are trying to set a record for cat populations in dwarf fortress, it will never hinge on that.

Also, keep in mind your objective. If you only have a 1080p or 1440p monitor, budget cards may give you everything you need.

I did look at some of that stuff. People playing Overwatch on the laptop that I plan on buying with the specs that they said. But the numbers don't quite align in a way that makes sense to me (for the specs).

I am dead-set on the laptop that I am pulling those specs from. I want to mostly do school work, skype, browse the internet, and word-process. Gaming is a bonus. I've never had a powerful machine, and I thoroughly do not mind playing old games or games that are really lightweight. I like Faster Than Light, Cook Serve Delicious, Crysis 8, Eldritch,and other minimalist (graphics-wise) games. Fucking love me some Cataclysm DDA.

Does a password cracker for winrar actually exist?

I don't know why miners think hoarding GPUs is actually a viable strategy for making money.

It's good for a very short time period, between the point when the currency actually starts being worth something and the point where the mining difficulty increases and ASICs and whatever they use these days become mainstream.

There seems to be a new crypto coin started every day, though. Jumping from one low difficulty coin to another might be part of the plan.

Is my 3tb seagate dying? It keeps doing a zipclick noise followed by spin up then keeps repeating doing that over and over again. I bought the drive in 2012 iirc. I know now it is one that was prone to failure :(. What is HDtune telling me here? I can access the drive completely fine.

Gigantic emergancy.

PC won't boot. Or more specifically, the SSD won't boot. The motherboard lights up and I hear fans so it can't be that. I fear it may have something to do with having to put it in sleep mode numerous times last week due to a heat wave. When I tried to take it out of sleep mode, instead of booting up as usual, nothing pops upon the monitor and strangely, the caps lock light blinks when I hit a key.

Please tell me my data isn't lost forever. AT the very least, how do I get it to boot? It took me a long time to save up the money to build this thing and it's going to suck if my precious stuff is lost forever or worse.

If it helps, the SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO and there are three HDDs from Western Digital. The OS is Windows 7, the CPU is an FX-8320E, and the motherboard is an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0.

Do you see the BIOS logo/message when botting up?

If I set my GPU to compute mode will it stop displaying?

Your data is probably not lost. Is it a intel cpu? What generation? Haswell? Some generation of intel chips had sleepbug issues along with usb3. Mine does it (4670k) but never to the point the system refuses to boot after a complete shutdown for a coldboot.

What's the largest micro SD that'll fit in a Galaxy note 4?

No, but the PC is working again. Somehow. I don't know what went wrong. First I remembered there was a setup CD in the DVD drive but removing that didn't work. Unplugged all USB devices. Still didn't work. Finally, I unplugged everything, opened up the case, dusted off the parts (not that there was much dust), and wiped down the PSU filter on the underside (which was EXTREMELY dusty). Plugged everything back in and NOW it works.

Still scary though. The SSD status is still labeled "Good" and almost 2TB has been written to it. I have no idea what the problem was and that kinda pisses me off. Weather's cooling down so I'll just not put it in sleep mode unless absolutely necessary.

Also, I already said the CPU is an FX-8320E. AMD brand.

Anyway to tether an android device on Verizon to linux without paying extra?

when I pop open task manager, my cpu usage looks like it spikes and then goes back down
is this because of a bitcoin miner or something?

What's the best no-nonsense bandwidth monitor?

I keep hitting my limit but I'm not doing jack fucking shit. I just want to see what data is leaving my laptop/desktop. I don't think its my Playstation.

I have 2 montiors connected to my desktop, one is DVI, the other is Displayport.

The Displayport one occasionally refuses to pick up a signal sometimes (usually waking the computer up from sleep).

How do I unfuck this? I've tried turning the computer off and then on again, I've tried unplugging and plugging back in both the power connection of the monitor and also the displayport cable (both ends).
It seems like Windows recognizes the monitor (as it doesn't auto adjust the resolution and display things on the second monitor), but the DP monitor refuses to pick up the signal (shows DisplayPort NO SIGNAL and then goes back to off).

Important question.

All of us have shit in our PC, laptop etc that other people should never see. How do you protect all that stuff? And don't tell me with hidden folders.

What ISP should I use? I'm moving out of my parents' house and will be paying for my own Internet for the first time, but I won't be able to use the regional ISP I've had forever (Moving from NYC to Nashville). I'm looking for the best value of price/speed/privacy

Recently any time I've gone into a game my laptop would beep consistently and flash 3 lights on my different lock lights and then turn off.
What does this mean and how can I fix it without destroying my laptop?

>Crysis 8
Good luck with that, games from the future are too intense for my tastes. You should have just said normal laptop immediately. Microcenter sells these $200 asus laptops that will be more than enough.

What OS?

Just installed lavfilters 0.70
Why are my annime jaggy?

If your cursor is like duplicating in Windows 10, and the duplicate is all wonky and glitchy, wtf is going on?

With hidden folders. Or you could create a virtual drive and mount it when you want it.

If your carrier has crippled you phone so it can't do usb tethering you probably have to root it. On the linux side any modern DE should handle USB tethering just fine out of the box.

I need a new /SMALL/ smartphone. I'm so pissed that the days of tiny easily hand held smartphones are a thing of the past and now all I can ever find are bloated mini tablet cock suckers. I used to have an iphone 4 and had it for 5 years before it broke and recently got an htc one m8 at the advice of Sup Forums and it's big and shitty.

Can anyone recommend me the smallest smartphone that isn't a piece of dogshit. Android OS preferably, that'll be able to store and play music decently as well as browse the web. A decent camera would be a plus but by no means required. It doesn't have to be a recent generation smartphone but as long as it can run the latest OS version it doesn't really matter.

It's because the act of opening it uses CPU.

Depends on what's available in that specific location. Was just talking with someone who lived somewhere around NY who had to use dial up because there was nothing else that was connected to the building. You might find that you've only got one ISP to switch to.

... It's probably because of the task manager loading...

How do you stop directly streamed ads on Twitch?

stop watching twitch

thanks, I always got a little paranoid at that, esp. since malwarebytes and windows defender didn't find anything

use a third party streamer instead of the main site, like livestreamer, though I think it's called viewstreamer or some shit now
either way it works by streaming through your video player, such as mpc-hc or vlc if you use that
if you still need your dumb twitch chat though, you can just open a chat window instance in your browser or something as well

Just bought a Moto G4 Play

How to commit suicide?

Z3 compact or z5 compact.

Sorry.

Laptop is a Mac and Desktop is Windows 7.

Looks like it's the usual. I'm checking out XFINITY right now.

Since I'm living alone, what Mbps should I be going for?

How do you get rid of this shit

Just bought the parts for my first pc and I'm curious about installing windows. I have a usb drive with 64bit windows on it and I'm unsure about the product key.
The computer I made it from was upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 during the free upgrade period.
So the question is: Do I need to buy a product key or will the one on my current computer work?

How could I write this array in JavaScript on one line that has one semicolon?:
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;

var arr = ["a":true, "b":true, "c":true];

or
var arr = [a:true, b:true, c:true];

is not equal to
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;

help.

IIRC even if it doesn't work you should be able to skip that step with no downside except a watermark on the lower right of the screen.

Okay I see what I did wrong but still have a problem. Associative arrays can only be in curly brackets.
var arr = {a:true, b:true, c:true};

equals
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;

but this
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;
for (var x in arr) {
arr.push(x);
}
alert(arr);

has a different output than this:
var arr = {a:true, b:true, c:true};
for (var x in arr) {
arr.push(x);
}
alert(arr);

I find I don't know enough about the networking pipeline. Youtube (and only youtube) has been chronically very slow to initially load, taking ten seconds or more just to load thumbnails and halting three seconds into the video to buffer, but then finishes loading at full speed, buffering a minute of video instantly. What arrangement of throttling, if it even is throttling, could result in a slow start before normal function and of what benefit is that to an ISP?

I'm listening to a playlist and its halting four seconds into every single fucking track and its reaching a breaking point.

Is there a way I can find out why I got banned from facebook?

In javascript, arrays and objects (associative arrays) are fundamentally different and you need to stop mixing them.

This creates an array:
var arr = [];
This assigns an object property to that (which does not add it to the array)
arr["a"] = true;

If you want an associative array (which is an "object" in JS), you must initialize it as {}, not []

If you are using your ISPs DNS servers it could be hitting there local cache, and missing.

Is it possible to bring an ice cube to room temperature without melting it?

I'm on google dns, for ipv4 at least.

Do it in a vacuum?

Sorry, I had that backwards. It would be in a pressure chamber if anything, but even at high pressure water can't get up to room temperature as a solid.

Well, unless you form it at high pressure, as phases VII and X are both ice.