/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/
pastebin.com/bWJVLC5Z
omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/omv-plugins-3/3-stable
geckoandfly.com/4093/unlock-and-recover-hard-drive-password-hard-disk-password-removal-tool/
youtube.com/watch?v=XqMEEvmfyQU
reddit.com/r/linuxsucks/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ait boys, I posted this on the other thread, but I might as well throw it on the new one, too.

>CS major, c++ focused rn
>Winfag my whole life

I guess I've come to the point where I have to learn how to use linux. I have Ubuntu dual-booted, and I've learned how to do really basic stuff like install programs and mess with files.

I'm still totally in the dark when it comes to using the OS with doing anything programming-related.

what do?

This was meant for you: If you're really serious about learning, then you have to either use GNU/Linux as your main OS, or remove Windows completely.

how the hell can a cs major not know how to use linux?

I can't find a spir-v compiler on ubuntu, is this intended? There's no package and I already have vulkan-utils installed, why would there be no spir-v compiler package for ubuntu?

HOW DO I ACHIEVE FULL FREEDOM

Normal pc stuff.

Like ricing cute 2d girls all over your desktop.

I was totally considering doing it, but then I like to play the vidya, which from what I've heard is a pain in the butt with compatability

I'm new at CS, still very much learning things C:

You mean QT traps, right?

Install one of these: gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Just installed my first tar.bz2 program (FF Nightly) and it doesn't show up in my application list in gnome. It's also telling me it won't auto-update, which i'm assuming is a permission thing. Was it a mistake to unpack it into /opt?

I allready use on of those. I mean real freedom. Free hardware free firmware.

>I was totally considering doing it, but then I like to play the vidya, which from what I've heard is a pain in the butt with compatability
That's fine, just use Windows as one would use a game console. Only boot into it if you want to play a game. Don't even bother installing a web browser in it or anything.

Become an hero.

If the software is what controls the hardware, then using free software should be enough, no?

The CPU microcode is considered by stallman to be part of the hardware yet it could control my computer too.

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Use clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Have a pptx but don't want to install libreoffice just to see the text and catppt returns a silly error? I got you cover:

#!/bin/bash
# Convert pptx to text
unzip -qc "$1" ppt/slides/slide*.xml | grep -oP '(?

sgml-tux is very ugly. Please consider changing it.

>Without sensible defaults
Sounds like a trip.

I agree. I love the idea but you guys need an aesthetic update asap. I might be able to draw something for you. I just got a digital tablet and I have been needing something to draw to practice and get used to using digital painting.

>mfw foobar in wine is the best player for linux

>not mpd + ncmpcpp

Is there a pdf-editing application that auto-calculate works correctly on? I'm using evince, and I don't know how to get it to work, if it should work.

I have a TTRPG character sheet, where when I input the stats, it should auto-fill in all of the appropriate forms related to what I put in, e.g. str 10 means str mod of 0, +0 to all str based skills, etc.

lol good luck playing back midis with the syxg50 vst

>mfw no face

People are doing what with PDFs these days? Isn't that a job for a spreadsheet?

The sheet can be printed out if you like, and pdfs have more stable form and formating than a spreadsheet. It might look pretty on Microsoft Office 2017 but like shit on LibreOffice.

Yes, try to log in as root and run it or use sudo. If it works that way you know it's a permissions issue.

So you are not looking for the best music player but the best windows vst host? Well sorry buddy bat that has nothing to do with linux.

not him, but can you not export spreadsheets as pdf?
hell go even more autist and latex it

You have to add a .desktop file to /usr/local/share/applications or ~/.local/share/applications.
specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

Hello, I am having a minor issue with Debian 9. It isn't really that big of a problem but I would rather deal with it now so it doesn't potentially turn into something more severe. A little backstory, I decided to use the Debian 8.8 install and then upgrade to testing because the latest installer was giving me problems. So anyway, when I run sudo apt-get upgrade I get the following output

pastebin.com/bWJVLC5Z

This is after upgraded from stable to testing using dist-upgrade. This output is a little worrisome because I am fairly confident that I do in fact use some of those packages, but I could be wrong. If anyone could shed some light on this I would be very appreciative.

I downloaded a video using youtube-dl but when he watched it on Windows it hadn't sound. How do I convert it to mp4 using ffmpeg with sound for Windows?

Not an expert.

I think that deb 8.8 probably has packages that have limits placed on them. The furthest you can get is like a v.45 while on 9.0 you can reach v.62. Those old packages would be replaced with new ones. I think it's safe to auto-remove.

Just be sure that you did
>$ sudo apt update

before you do all of that, to make sure that there are new packages to install to replace the old ones that are going to get removed.

Eh I wouldn't be that worried by it. Just mark any you use as manually installed. Looks like some things just changed dependancies and some stuff got deprecated.

Is there a way to switch to a window with just the mouse in CWM or do I really have to press Alt every time.

I randomly chose xscreensaver, which is marked to be autoremoved and noticed that the most current version is the version currently installed. I actually use xscreensaver so I don't know why it is apparently "no longer required."

With this paste-bin, it doesn't actually show what version you are using that would be auto-removed. It could be that when you checked the version of it, it was the one that was installed and will stay.

You could try to use synaptic to see what version those packages are (maybe).

Worst case scenario, make a list of the packages that are getting auto-removed, and if there is no current version installed, then reinstall it. Auto-remove, in my experience, has always been a safe process.

Probably because it was installed as a dependancy of a metapackage that no longer depends on it. "no longer required" just means it was installed automatically (as a dependancy) and is no longer depended on by anything that was installed manually (ie that was actually passed to apt install).

To mark it manually just use `apt install xscreensaver` or `apt-mark manual xscreensaver`.

what format did you use? probably just downloaded the video w/o sound

>it could be that when you checked the version of it, it was the one that was installed and will stay.
Apt doesn't call upgrades removals though.

mkv. I tested before and it was working fine.

I was from the last thread. Used testdisk as suggested by an user and it actually shows the drive (hooray!). I chose [Intel] as the partition table type when prompted (not sure if that's right) and when I analyze the drive, no partitions are shown and I get "Read error at x/1/1" where 'x' is every cylinder analyzed so far.
Do I need to let it analyze the entire drive?

I need a distro with the following features, ordered by importance:
1. Opts out of GTK3.
2. GTK2 fork of Firefox.
3. Opts out of systemd
4. Pure GTK2 XFCE
5. Debian-based.

Could you please tell me if a project like this exists?

Any idea why this doesn't work?
function scpbeam {
scp "-i /path/to/key" "$1" "$2"
}
Results:
$ scpbeam user@host:test ~/
ssh: Could not resolve hostname host:test: No address associated with hostname
The host information is correct, I can do it the normal successfully.
$ scp -1 /path/to/key scpbeam user@host:test ~/
test 100% 12 0.7KB/s 00:00

Fuck you, your little bitch OS has no games or software. Fucking faggots are fucking cancer.

Thoughts on bunsenlabs?

Try having "-i" and "/path/to/key" as two seperate arguments.

Still no luck but I decided to re-run it as root and it's analyzing the cylinders at an incredibly faster speed. Previously it was doing about 1 cylinder per second but now it's just under 100 cylinders per second. Just though it was strange since the documentation specifically states that it doesn't need to be run as root. Just gonna let it run for a while and see if anything turns up. If anyone can offer any other advice, that'd be great though.

Can't you just install debian and configure it that way? I have got systemd banned in apt preferences, you should be able to do the same for gtk3
$cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: systemd
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: systemd-sysv
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -1

Sup Forumsuys. I'm thinking of doing something stupid and need your input on how (un)feasible it is.

Instead of making an freenas+intel based nas, I wanna do a ryzen+ubuntu w/zfs nas because $/perf and preference of linux over bsd.

Thoughts?

lrn2sshconfig so then you can just do scp shittybox ~/files ~/shittyfiles you can of course name them how you please

Lol. Ended up increasing to a little more than 10,000 cylinders per second. It finished and found no partitions. So ya. Still no access to the data. If someone has any ideas please let me know.

I want to know if there is a distro specially made to opt out of GTK3. There are many applications that depend on it in current Debian so I need a distro that mantains the GTK2 versions. I'm specially interested in a fork of Firefox that uses GTK2. I'm aware there is one for Arch but it would be better if I can avoid to install Arch.

Same result.
Probably a better idea. I'll look into that instead. Thanks both of you.

yeah do it, much better than juggling with what identity files every time. makes messing with all the different machines you might have much easier.

OpenMediaVault (debian based) appears to have a zfs plugin omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/omv-plugins-3/3-stable
So maybe just use that? I dunno.

If it is stopping you booting could you put it in an externel enclosure, boot to some live disk and then plug it in and play with it?

Also, wtf is an intel partition table? The only ones I know of are msdos, gpt and some shitty old mac one.

I'm thinking about switching from Windows 10 to KDE Neon. I'm a little nervous to do it since I don't want to try to install it and then have a ton of issues and then get discouraged and revert back to Windows 10.

I have had issues trying to boot into Linux before with my GTX 980 trying to get drivers to work long enough to get in and install them manually. Multi-monitor layouts seemed to not work very well under GNOME and Unity in the past either.

Is it worth it to use Wayland on KDE? I don't have any problems on my T430 and HD4000 but I hear that there are issues with Wayland and Nvidia.

How likely do you think it is that I will have similar issues again? I want to be on Linux on my desktop but I don't want to Dualboot either.

It's already external. Using a sata to usb cable with power. Tested it on other drives and it works fine so its not the cable.
And FYI, it's able to analyze all of the cylinders without any freezing or hiccups. It finishes but just doesn't find anything, even after a deep search. Not sure about the "Intel" partition. It was pre-selected by the program and based on other tutorials it seems to be the right option.

Use the good old Xorg until you feel like trying the less mature Wayland.

There is no likelihood of issues in general but if you have some you just fix them.

Why ZFS? Other than that, go ahead.

is KDE Neon worth it? I hear it's basically Ubuntu 16.04 with updated KDE Plasma packages and less ootb software unlike Kubuntu

What does parted and fdisk say?

An fdisk -l doesn't show the device. A parted -l shows:

Error: /dev/sdc: unrecognised disk label
Model: ASMT 2135 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

I dunno. maybe geckoandfly.com/4093/unlock-and-recover-hard-drive-password-hard-disk-password-removal-tool/

Apparently if your drive is locked at the hardware level you can't even write to it. You could test it by trying to use dd to write to some random block (and hopefully not make the situation worse).

Why does Debian 9 still not come with 1920x1080 as a mode in xrandr by default? I cannot get xrandr to do anything I say.

XFCE is old as fuck and easier to manage in my opinion than KDE.

I have an external drive that's formatted in NTFS. If I use Linux as my primary/only operating system. Am I OK with reading and writing to the drive and using it like normal with it being NTFS even if my Linux install file system is something different such as ext4?

Yo guys I got another drive to put xubuntu on cause I was so fucking tired of windows bullshit.

Problem is I cant fucking install anything. Ive never had this problem before. I didnt download the 3rd party shit cause I didnt want java or flash and I think that compiled download may be fucking it up?

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Yeah, the ntfs driver on linux is pretty solid these days. As long as you are only using it for media and not installing linux programs to it because ntfs doesn't have the permissions support that linux stuff expects.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the linux version of CmosPwd.

>is another process using it?
Use this to check: sudo lsof /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Any recommended tiling terminals out there?

"Tiling terminal?"

I've only ever heard of tiling window managers.

Inside a tiling window manager, X will make terminal conform to absolute tiled sections of the screen.

I recommend spectrwm, but use i3 if you're a brainlet.

Is LMDE the best "just werks" distro? I keep going back to it.

lsof: status error on /var/lib/d[kg/lock: No such file or directory

so that mean i gotta make it?

emacs

Worth a try I suppose. Although if it isn't autocreated something is up. Here are the perms of mine so you can copy:drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Jun 28 16:52 /var/lib/dpkg
-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 Jun 28 16:52 /var/lib/dpkg/lock

hopefully i dont have to reinstall shit... mfw

MKV is a container format that may or may not include audio streams. YouTube has various formats that you can see with $ youtube-dl --list-formats "$URL". Specify the one you want with the -f option when downloading. Make sure it's one that doesn't say "video only".

E.g.:

$ youtube-dl --list-formats youtube.com/watch?v=XqMEEvmfyQU
[youtube] XqMEEvmfyQU: Downloading webpage
[youtube] XqMEEvmfyQU: Extracting video information
[info] Available formats for XqMEEvmfyQU:
format code extension resolution note
249 webm audio only DASH audio 56k , opus @ 50k, 1.45MiB
250 webm audio only DASH audio 74k , opus @ 70k, 1.91MiB
171 webm audio only DASH audio 124k , vorbis@128k, 3.22MiB
140 m4a audio only DASH audio 129k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@128k, 3.56MiB
251 webm audio only DASH audio 143k , opus @160k, 3.74MiB
278 webm 192x144 144p 64k , webm container, vp9, 25fps, video only, 905.91KiB
160 mp4 192x144 144p 113k , avc1.4d400c, 13fps, video only, 2.12MiB
242 webm 320x240 240p 116k , vp9, 25fps, video only, 995.17KiB
133 mp4 320x240 240p 278k , avc1.4d400d, 25fps, video only, 5.85MiB
17 3gp 176x144 small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2@ 24k
36 3gp 320x240 small , mp4v.20.3, mp4a.40.2
18 mp4 320x240 medium , avc1.42001E, mp4a.40.2@ 96k
43 webm 640x360 medium , vp8.0, vorbis@128k (best)
$ youtube-dl -f 18 youtube.com/watch?v=XqMEEvmfyQU

sudo lsof /var/lib/dpkg/lock
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
dpkg 2000 root 3uW REG 252,1 0 15730817 /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Well CmosPwd doesn't seem to help. I can't figure out how to point it at an external device. It just seems to want to point to the primary drive. I'll follow the tutorial for the Windows version in a VM tomorrow. Gotta Well CmosPwd doesn't seem to help. It can't figure out how to point it at an external device. It just seems to want to point to the primary drive. I'll follow the tutorial for the Windows version in a VM tomorrow. Gotta get at least a few hours of sleep otherwise I'll be dead at work.

brand new to bash and ive gotten stuck with a problem

i set up an alias for "subl" to run sublime text

I want to open javascript.js in my current directory, but have sublime run in the background

MY PROBLEM:
>typing "subl& ./javascript.js" will open sublime in the background, but the file is not opened.
>typing "sub ./javascript.js" opens the file in sublime, but not in the background. my current bash terminal is unable to be used unless i hit CTRL+Z, which closes sublime
>after hitting CTRL+Z, typing "bg" gives me "no such job" error. typing "jobs" returns nothing.

im ass blasted right now

reddit.com/r/linuxsucks/

>dpkg 2000 root 3uW REG 252,1 0 15730817 /var/lib/dpkg/lock
Well it looks like dpkg is running somewhere, so you could just kill that ... find the terminal it is running in and finish your currently running installation.

>lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
Wat. Maybe you should check mount and make sure there isn't some shitty fuse filesystem mounted over top of root or something.

>"-i /path/to/key"
remove the quotes

Ctrl Z and after u stop 7t write bg and enter. Starts it running in the bckground

use:
subl ./javascript.js &
ie put the ampersand at the end of the entire command, not just the program.

Dunno why ctl+z is killing sublime though.

>sublime text
nonfree pig disgusting

>170x250
>saving and/or posting thumbnails or worse, using a thumbnail as the base of an edit

Stop it retard you're making GNU users look bad

What are some secret (lesser known) terminal commands?

thanks for the answers,
subl ./javascript &

did the trick

I dont know why ctrl+z was killing it as opposed to pausing

cmus is fine

htop

ctrl+z pauses a program
running fg brings it back to the foreground
running bg brings it back to the background (same as executing it with &)

right, but in this case ctrl+z would kill it completely

typing "jobs" and nothing came up

typing "bg" or "fg" got "no such job" error

chattr is pretty awesome, but not really used

nl

>1 character shorter than cat
>adds line numbers, comfy to grep

Oh yeah. We only want high definition Sup Forums memes in here ...