/spg/ - Smartphone General - Never Settle™ Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
New Galaxy Note8 leaked renders show camera bump, confirm position of the fingerprint sensor
gsmarena.com/new_galaxy_note8_leaked_renders_show_camera_bump_confirm_position_of_the_fingerprint_sensor-news-25858.php

OnePlus 5 will get EIS for 4K video with an update
gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_will_get_eis_for_4k_video_in_a_future_update-news-25852.php

Five new phones added to Amazon’s Prime Exclusive list: Nokia 6, Moto E4, and three new Alcatel phones
androidauthority.com/amazon-prime-exclusive-nokia-6-moto-e4-alcatel-783111/

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 details leaked, thinner bezels in tow!
gizchina.com/2017/06/27/xiaomi-mi-mix-2-details-leaked-might-even-thinner-bezels/

Camera Shootout
HTC U11 vs. iPhone 7 Plus vs. Xperia XZ Premium
gsmarena.com/iphone7plus_htc_u11_xperia_xz_premium_shootout-review-1625.php

Source: Pixel 2 ‘walleye’ and ‘taimen’ Specifications Revealed
xda-developers.com/source-pixel-2-walleye-and-taimen-specifications-revealed/

Speed Test - OnePlus 5 vs HTC U11 vs Galaxy S8 - Snapdragon 835 Edition
youtube.com/watch?v=9LnohX8G3vQ

old

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13302209/r
sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing
warosu.org/g/thread/S60982587#p60989456
androidauthority.com/global-smartphone-operating-profits-q1-2017-777468/
androidpolice.com/2017/04/20/lawsuit-filed-against-google-and-huawei-over-nexus-6p-early-shutdown-issue-and-bootlooping/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Im about to buy the s8

Good idea ?

Had a one plus one for years

Not perfect but basically the best phone out right now

strawpoll.me/13302209/r

Be prepared for lots of lag
sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing

Can't be worse than my cyanogen rn haha

Why are you still on Cyanogen? It's been dead for ages

Opo stock rom

>owns an Oneplus
>uses stock ROM
WHYYYY? That phone has probably the got biggest custom ROM community of any phone, you could be on Nougat 7.1.2 right now

Google Services is preventing my phone from going to sleep and killing my battery life. I've gone from 6-8h SoT to 3-4h SoT. How do I find out what exactly is keeping my phone awake?

>OnePlus 5 will get EIS for 4K video with an update
>telephoto lens is still unstabilized regardless of being the one needing stabilization the most
Also
>EIS

Should I get a U11 now or wait till the essential comes out to make a final decision?

If they can add EIS for 4K then maybe it's possible to add it for the telephoto lens too

Fucking chinks all I want is redmeme note 4 64gb/4gb model but they don't want my money and doesn't sell it now.

warosu.org/g/thread/S60982587#p60989456

Geekbuying are saying they'll start shipping the 4/64 version again on 4.7, Honorbuy will start shipping it on 6.7.

its still
>EIS

Google Pixel makes it work

US, unlocked (no carrier atm). Need a flagship breaker which goes insanely low (about less than $200 would be nice) compared to its features, also a phablet-size would be liked. I was considering purchasing a Moto G5+ (@$230), but is there anything else that could get my attention for less?

blackberry 10.

Nokia 6 Amazon prime for $179

not really
it maybe smooth with panning and shit but still a piece of hot shit when being shook in car

why did they have to make this so tiny? it would be perfect if they added a bit more screen

wouldnt it be too tall?

>Snapdragon 430
is that any good?

Have a OP3T, and want to upgrade to the 5. Should I just wait for the 5T?

yeah that's true. i guess it's the best size when i think about it compared to the on-screen keyboards of other phones

5.5":
Moto G4 / G4 Plus
Moto E4 Plus
LeEco Le S3

5.7":
LG Stylo 3 / Stylus 3

6.0":
ZTE Zmax Pro
ZTE Max XL

I asked this in the last thread but nobody answered, so I'm asking again in this one.
Since the Moto x4 announcement was delayed can we expect a announcement in mid to late July and a release date in mid to late August?
I really wanted the x4 but if it's not out by the end of August I'm going to get the z2 play

XZ compact when?

What is the linux of mobile os?
Ubuntu Touch or should i get a android and root linux kali on it?

Yes, perfectly fine for most stuff phone stuff. Maybe some heavier games won't run at full fps.

IFA 2017

Unless you have some very specific needs, it will be more than enough, also because according to Nokia their products will focus on being as fluid as possible through a clean Android, and will see extensive support with fast and frequent updates.

Also, Nokia 6 is built like a tank, comes with QuickCharge 3.0, and has a fuckhuge battery. The screen is 1080p LCD. Honestly it seems built to last. For the price it's really a decent phone.

I wonder what can compete with it.

Is the G4 Play any different?

No one knows for sure, but I'd be surprised if they don't release Moto X4 by the end of August.

Why the Z2 Play over the regular Z Play though? It doesn't improve much and the battery is smaller, and it's also way more expensive.

Is the Snapdragon 410 different? I'd assume It'd be the same since they're both 4XX

Well it's only 5.0" and it's got the weaker SD410. For the same price you might as well get the Moto E4.

It's quite a bit weaker but fine if you don't plan on gaming much.

lmao OP5 displays confirmed to be assembled in the phone upside down

Chances of OP actually fixing this are about zero.

Why can't google just make the nexus 5 with updated components? I need to upgrade this year but everything seems so shitty in comparison.
>optimal size for my little hands, doesn't feel like I'm trying to hold a weirdly thin, yet too wide tile in my hand like 5.5" phones and up feel like
>great rubbery grippy back.. seriously 10/10, keeps it from sliding off surfaces
>decent camera, decent photos with HDR+
>solid as a rock, withstands 4 years without a case or screen protector, hundreds of drops (I'm just realy clumsy), and quite a few times getting wet
>smaller top and bottom bezels than some new phones
>stock android
>$350

only complaints from fellow handlets I've seen are
>muh front facing speakers because I'm a nigger and can't use headphones
>muh bootloops because it was an LG

Instead I'll end up paying 700-800 dollars for the pixel 2 because it is small, with probably worse specs than the XL2 (dumb) and it will be an ugly dual-toned, fragile, overpriced mess with big bezels, and no 3.5mm jack.

Thanks for reading my blog

How does that matter?

S7 ROOT IS NEAR. CHECK XDA FOR A DROP TOMORROW.

Apparently it causes some scrolling issues

take me back, back to better days

Because there isn't barely any profit to be made selling $350 phones.
androidauthority.com/global-smartphone-operating-profits-q1-2017-777468/

The earlier Google Nexus devices were subsidized by Google and sold at a loss / no profit to increase android market share and app store usage, no need for that now that android is nearing 90% global smartphone market share.

Sorry if stupid, but are there any apps that actually do much w/r/t lowering the temperature of a phone or are they just glorified app managers?

redmi 4x bruh.

anyone here feel into snapdragon meme for getting an update and support ? why mediatek shitter on nokia 3 got nougat ?

it's on battery setting stock os since 5.0, settings - battery - battery mode switch to power save. Power save downclock the cpu and turning off cpu cores.

How long do you guys use your phones before buying a new one?

I think I bricked my phone, I've got a Xiaomi Note 3 Pro, I flashed this firmware so I could install android 7.1:

(won't let me post a link, but it's the kenzo miui firmware: miuifirmware_kenzo_7.5.4.zip)

But now I can't even access fastboot/twrp, the "mi" logo appears very shortly (like 1/5th of a second) when I power up the phone, and then the screen goes black

Any ideas? Did I fuck up this phone for good?

ask in /csg/, they'll know better. doubt it's permanently bricked though.

>dat pic
ATTACK OF THE CLONES!

>what are bugs, user?

Hallo Bernd!

Do I need android 7.0 if I want to flash a nougat rom? I'm on lollipop atm, looking to make my phone last a little bit longer

Hello

Thank you /spg/, the redmi note 4x is pretty decent

Enjoy your broken screen

My S4 is four years old. I'd still use it if it wasn't so painful to use.

I've been running a custom ROM on my OPO for almost two years and I haven't run into a single major bug. If you owned an OPO you'd know the stock ROM is a POS, any custom ROM would be an upgrade to it

>be prepared for lots of lag
>Can't be worse than my cyanogen rn haha

no, you don't need it. Depends on the phone if there's Nougat available or not.

Any tablet recommendations? No games...

usage? budget?

videos, email, voip, gps nav'ing etc, preferably around $100...

Should I wait until the 4th of July sales start kicking in to buy a new phone?

Since I'm on a budget, would it be better to go with a Samsung S5 or a J7 2016? Or would someone recommend something else that has a similar price and specs that won't break easily

>similar price
budget? country?

Out of the two, the S5 is far better for a little more money. Wasn't it once a flagship?

I'm in the US and I'm looking for ~$200 but cheaper would be nice. Max is $240.

Anyone?

Nokia 6
Moto G5 Plus

decent phone with garbage battery

Would the S5 be a steal for ~$160? It has a Snapdragon 801, 2160p/16 mp camera, and alot of other features

New or used? If used then $160 is a bit overpriced unless it's really immaculate

Also it'll probably be slow on the stock touchwiz ROM so be prepared to install a custom ROM to make it usable

Is there anything else at a similar price which would be better?

new or used? What country/carrier? Wanted features?

Could probably get newer LG models for that price

Yes but even then I would suggest waiting for the OP6 or something else.

Either is fine for me, needs to be in a usable condition though

I want it unlocked and am the same person from

Just stick with what you already have

is xiaomi mi 6 good? thinking about to get it :s

2 years because I'm a normie

My phone was 5 years old.
R.I.P Galaxy Note 2
2012-2017
Died to falling for the 80th time

Android? Like 6 months. Longest ownership was iPhone 4s before left in a cab and 6s which I've had since release

That phone is less than a year old, why would you need to upgrade already?

2 years usually

>tfw wanting to change this so was planning on getting a Pixel, assuming that Google would keep their devices up to date with Android for a while
>tfw they're only going to get updates until next October

>next October
The pixel is guaranteed software updates until October 2018 and security updates until 2019

Next October as in next year October tho

This. Get a pixel

Does Snapdragon really have an advantage over Mediatek in terms of software support (custom roms, recoveries, shit like that) or is Snapdragon just a meme?

Year to a year and a half. Sometimes I buy fall flagships, sometimes spring flagships.

Got a Pixel last year, waiting for Pixel 2 this time.

If you upgrade every 2 years that's fine I guess, but compared to how long Apple updates their iPhones, Google went full jew

Anyone else had a Nexus 6p just suddenly die? Like no drops and never got wet.

Google and Huawei are actually being sued for what a POS that phone was
androidpolice.com/2017/04/20/lawsuit-filed-against-google-and-huawei-over-nexus-6p-early-shutdown-issue-and-bootlooping/

Is buying a phone with 4GB ram a bad investment?

No

Phone is not an investment. It's a tool.
And no, phones are evolving too fast for futureproofing.

Well, my 6p doesn't have either of those problems. It just died and doesn't turn on.

Looking for advice. Looking to upgrade. I'm on Verizon. I just want the best phone I can get. I was thinking the Galaxy s8 but i don't know if it's just a meme and I also work on a construction site so the durability has me a little worried.

Any advice on what I should go with?

My Nexus 5 is still running and is still totally viable current day; I know the feeling, and always wanted a real successor to it myself.

Ultimately, I bought a Sprint HTC 10 for around 220 dollars used in very good condition.
Very solid build, high end hardware, great camera, chamfered back gives an oddly good grip, unlockable bootloader that keeps warranty (and S-OFF sadly for a fee) with good ROM support, Sprint variant can easily be GSM unlocked via software, and size is much more manageable than many other new phones and isn't too much bigger than the Nexus 5. Bonus points for SD card slot and top notch headphone output.

I don't regret getting it instead of the Pixel at all, especially for the price I got it used; It's the closest thing to a Nexus in my mind besides the uninspiring Pixel, honestly.

What's wrong with the phones already suggested?

For ~$200 used I'd look for
LG G5
HTC One M9
Nexus 6
Galaxy S6