/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/g/1498557578843.jpg
i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/133/668/68.gif
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser
pastebin.com/wphKeGLU
repology.org/metapackage/linux/versions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the best way to get os x style file previews in gnome?

Why does rms only wear red shirts?

Not all my shirts are red or purple, but many are. I like those colors.

What does fglt think about non-Linux GNU distros?

GNU/Hurd, GNU/kFreeBSD, GNU/kNetBSD etc?

Hurd is interesting, but it will take some years till it's 100% usable, afaik current version is 0.9. Didn't try the BSD ports, but they seems to be just some rather useless experiments.

I've used GNU/Linux for long enough, I think, so how hard or easy would it be for me to try one of the BSD distros?

Not all my shirts are red or purple, but many are. I like those colors.

None of my shirts carry messages (such as words or symbols). That practice strikes me as lacking dignity, almost like being a sandwich man, so I won't wear clothing with symbols, not even for causes I support. This is not a matter of ethical disapproval, so I don't mind selling hats and shirts with free software slogans on behalf of the FSF; but I choose not to wear them myself.

Maybe one day Hurd will be a thing. I wish.

>tfw if you embroider TOP GNU on a baseball cap and mail it to rms he won't wear it

Sometimes I smile while being photographed because I feel happy.

Should I use Void or Arch for my x220?

void

I wish there was a tiling DE. I want the luxury of a fully featured DE but I can't be arsed to install it all manually.

Just replace whatever DE youre using with a tiling WM and bam you have what you wanted.

i.4cdn.org/g/1498557578843.jpg

did you just post a link to a picture on a imageboard?

Is it really this easy? Or do I have to do this again each time I update or something?

People who always complain about systemd, I don't understand it, why don't use just stop using it, and that's it.

You hate Windows? Good, just don't use it.
Why can't this be the case with systemd, or in fact, any software?

can someone explain this photo thx

You mean replace the WM in whatever DE he's using with a tiling one. Otherwise he won't get a full DE, which is what he wants.

You got banned on search engines or something?

Yes, no need to download it and the reupload it. Also it kept erroring when I tried doing that.

Install 4chanX, it lets you post from remote urls.

i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/133/668/68.gif

No it doesn't, all that does is download the picture then reupload it. In fact, that's exactly what I tried doing.
What kind of fool uses Sup Forums without 4chanX?

Ring or Signal?

>requires Chrome and a phone number
Fuck that shit.
Definitely Ring.

Help me out Sup Forums, I want a good DE, it doesn't have to be perfect but atleast something that is better than goddamn KDE and GNOME

GNU Ring* actually

What don't you like about kde/gnome that might be fixed in other DEs?

The whole point is that we can't because systemd makes other things depend on it. "Don't like systemd? Don't use it!" becomes "Don't like systemd? Don't use gnome!". It nearly became "Don't use tmux!" too.

Other software projects don't press third party developers into adding hard dependencies for their software. Why can't this be the case with systemd?

I need pulseaudio, which has systemd as a dependency.

Why would software depend on it?
I mean, I can see GNOME, a whole DE, depending on it, but what about other software? They surely provide a --disable-systemd configure option.

I haven't really checked for that, I just find KDE to be bloated and Gnome works a bit redundant. Like if I'd compile and install a program, it wouldn't do .desktop the way I want it in the applications menu

>replying to redmumbai shills

Not him, but if I install another WM along with the WM that comes with my DE, the only change will be that I will get the option to log in through both WMs in the login screen, right?
So if I break something in the other WM, I can always switch back to the stock one.

what?

Install Gentoo, it uses OpenRC instead of systemd by default.

>I can see GNOME, a whole DE, depending on it
Do you really mean that? Do you think it makes sense that you should be forced to use a specific init system, DNS resolver, system logger, entropy gatherer and fuck if I remember what else just because you want to use a certain DE? Especially considering that before systemd came around gnome worked just fine regardless of the software you chose for each of those tasks.

Even if that particular poster turned out to be a shill, there are people lurking that are not shills and may believe the "arguments against systemd are just flat-earth lunacy" propaganda if not shown otherwise.

Thank you for the advice. I use Devuan myself. Still, that doesn't change the fact that distro maintainers shouldn't have to fork packages to remove hard dependencies on specific init systems, DNS resolvers, etc.

If there was a file called for example foo.txt, containing the text "test" in the current directory, and one ran the command
cat foo.txt > /dev/null

Why wouldn't that overwrite the /dev/null file with the text "test"?

(Sorry if this is a noob question).

dumb question here
I want to have a keyboard shortcut to run Synaptic in xfce. Typing 'sudo synaptic' works in the terminal but putting it as the shortcut doesn't work. What should I put to have it run an application as root?

is this a homework assignment?

You can create a shell script and put it in the desktop instead of the shortcut.
#!/usr/bin/sh
sudo synaptic;

Since when do they teach you how to use GNU/Linux at schools?
Nah, I'm just curious.

install a gui "sudo" like gksu and create a shortcut to "gksu synaptic" then start that.

What are some cool terminal commands?

mfks.reiser4 /dev/wife

For the uninitiated:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

/dev/null is a "device file" that doesn't really exist, but acts as data sink; it discards all data written to it but reports that the write operation succeeded.
There's a little manpage: man 4 null

Can I create device files?

So I just ordered parts for a new computer, including AM4 motherboard and R5 1600. What distros come with Linux 4.10 or later as default? Or should I just compile it myself?

So far I've mostly been using *buntu, but I've been thinking of giving OpenSUSE a try.

telnet kirjava.xyz

grep is nice

Yes, the manpage shows an example.

with mknod I think

sudo apt-get install pv && PS1="" && clear && echo "Follow the white rabbit." | pv -qL 10 && sleep 9 && clear && echo "Knock, knock, Neo." | pv -qL 50

not OP
i love you.

tput setaf 2

Needs more green.
This.

I tried.
x="$PS1"; PS1=""; tput setaf 2 setab 0; clear; echo "Follow the white rabbit." | pv -qL 10; sleep 9; clear; echo "Knock, knock, Neo." | pv -qL 50; PS1="$x"; tput sgr0

; uset x;

I can launch Terraria only when I run the game executable. There's a shell script supposed to run it, but it's not working because it can't find the executable. Can someone tell me how they fucked it up?

"Terraria" is in "./game/Terraria". How does the script not check the "game" directory?

It does cd to the game directory, what's the output you get?

it seems buggy

Unrelated, but what colorscheme are you using?

Running Terraria
./Terraria: line 38: ./Terraria.bin.x86: No such file or directory

I made it myself. I tried to recreate the Kugel colorscheme from Geany.

r8 my oh see

while sleep .01;do i=0;while [ $i -lt 30 ];do i=$[i+1];[ $[RANDOM%4] = 1 ]&&s="\e[32m $[RANDOM%2]"||s="\e[30m $[RANDOM%2]";printf "$s";done;done

The fault seems to be in ./game/Terraria script, not the one shown here Is there a Terraria.bin.x86 file?

thought that too on the first try, then I realized that you need to make the terminal larger

>i=$[i+1]
Why not i="$(($i + 1))"?
Or is this some bashism?

Yes, sorry I just noticed that.
Here's the /game/Terraria script.

Yes, Terraria.bin.x86 exists.

is there any reason not mount /usr/ as readonly? is this the default?

Because golfing. $[] is 2 chars shorter than $(()), but $[] is old shit, people should really use $(()).

Disregard line 38 and the echo, I added that to see what the path is.

You don't need to use $ for variables inside $(()), btw.

I didn't know that, thanks.

Replace line 39 with
if [ -x ./${BASENAME}.bin.${ext} ]; then
./${BASENAME}.bin.${ext} $@
fi;
And see what happens.

I hate when I get this Sup Forums's bbcode code tags wrong.

just use the 4chanx hotkey

Running Terraria
./Terraria: line 40: ./Terraria.bin.x86: No such file or directory

I guess that the game/Terraria script doesn't get into the game/ directory. Shouldn't line 5-6 do exactly that? I guess there's an error somewhere in the first start.sh script and the other that's being sourced in start.sh here in line 9. I guess the proper directory doesn't get passed down properly.

Here's the gog_com.shlib script.
pastebin.com/wphKeGLU

Yep, line 6 in here is cd-ing into ".".

>./Terraria: line 40: ./Terraria.bin.x86: No such file or directory
But if execution got to line 40, that must mean that the directories are passed down right, because if the file didn't exist, execution would be stopped by the if statement that you added.

How will sandwich men ever recover??
Sandwichlets BTFO!!

Shorter && smoother with bashism.
while sleep .025;do for((i=0;i

zsh:1: parse error near `)'

>bashism
>zsh

sudo apt-get install pv && PS1="" && clear; $(mpv -vo null --no-terminal "youtube.com/watch?v=kdAMq5LdAvs") & 2>&1>/dev/null; setterm -term linux -back black -fore green && clear && tput cup 2 0 && echo "Follow the white rabbit." | pv -qL 10 && sleep 12 && clear && tput cup 2 0 && echo "Knock, knock, Neo." | pv -qL 50 && sleep 10 && killall mpv && reset

Anyone use st? Know how to make it start in a different dir?

I use a program called xcwd to open a terminal in the same directory but using st -e "cd `xcwd`" doesn't work.

I don't understand. It's right there, what is happening?

Anyone?

repology.org/metapackage/linux/versions

Ok so I'm trying to install arch linux but whenever i start the install process my screen gets like this, is there anyway to fix this? I tried googling it but found nothing. I tried it on my laptop and it worked flawlessly with no graphical glitches. I have a GTX 970 and an i7 6700k if that helps

Heres a follow up with the login screen, all the commands work it just looks like this

when in the boot menu press the key that lets you edit the command line, then add
noacpi nomodeset
to the end of the command line.

optional: remove silent and add verbose

Turn off your dedicated GPU, use the iGPU to install arch, install proprietary drivers for nvidia GPU, turn your GPU back.

You won't be able to install any packages that go to /usr/bin or /usr/sbin.

I.e. installation will fail.

What did you expect?

Try replacing it for OSS.

No, it doesn't.
[ebuild R ] media-sound/pulseaudio-10.0::gentoo USE="X alsa alsa-plugin asyncns bluetooth caps dbus gdbm glib gtk ipv6 orc ssl tcpd udev webrtc-aec -doc -equalizer -gnome -jack (-libressl) -libsamplerate -lirc -native-headset (-neon) -ofono-headset (-oss) -qt4 -realtime (-selinux) -sox (-system-wide) -systemd {-test} -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 1.571 KiB

>-systemd

nice glitch art, saved