Why do programmers use Mac?

Why do programmers use Mac?

Because they're non programmers that pretend to be useful.

>Why do filthy web dev hipsters use Macshit?
Fixed.

Only those working in social/end user industry.

Friend worked on some image recognition software for banks and later railroad signaling software (Europe) and on both jobs he had Fujitsu workstations.

I seriously don't understand why, if you have the money, you wouldn't get a mac.
Like why wouldn't you want a beautiful, lightweight all-in-one with an amazing display that can run all three major operating systems?

Because they're usually adults that have been working with computers well before Sup Forums's autists were even born.

>I installed a different OS on my mac btw
Because I can get an easily repairable and upgradable machine with more power for the same price.

>this is what neets actually believe

maybe fucking Facebook "engineers" use macs, since they're spoiled cunts

I don't think programmers use Macs. I only see "coders" who "code" in Python using Macs.

i'm a java dev at AWS and pretty much everybody uses macs except the one guy on my team with long hair and metal t shirts with a windows laptop

Don't shit on Python homie, it's great for machine learning.

"facebook engineer" is a weird name to call successful language designers

Because if you ever want to compile iOS apps and release them in the App Store, you specifically have to use Xcode on MacOS.

That's not even true.

>facebook engineers

What about real programmers that make shit that makes world spin like z/OS and so.

App Store is not the end game for talented programmers.

have you seen the so called "programming socks" ? same reason they are FAGGOTS

This. 90% of people use Macbooks with a small minority using Thinkpads or whatever. It's a UNIX machine, with good battery life, compatible with just about everything that doesnt require any kind of tinkering or fuckery to get running

It shocks me when I hear people sound surprised that this isn't the case, I have to wonder where they live.

Pure cancer environment.

Anywhere that isn't in the US.

Where specifically? Because most of Western/Northern Europe isn't that different

Do you work in web dev or something?

Need a Mac to compile objective shit to work on Apple store (iPhone)

My guess is they want a computer and an OS that just work, they have shit to do, they don't want to fuck around with Linux for 4 hours.

>Why do programmers use Mac?
because its much like loonix.. if you know how to set up a dev server on your mac, you'll be able to do it easily on the loonix server too

All of the things we call computers in our day to day lives are horribly broken in thousands of different ways at once. It's hard to care which of many terrible options I coose and this is the only one of the big 3 that's actually certified unix.

I'd love if I could go live in a cave and work with pure computers (in the mathematical sense) and somehow be paid.

i have a friend who uses his imac for web development. he could probably do it all on a windows pc but i think its the unix like environment thats appealing

Because my department has tax payers money to spend and we use a server for all our real work

Couldnt I just install the Mac OS on my machine and get all of its benefits anyway? How is this even a question of money? Only retards would buy Mac hardware anyway

probably but how well does high end hardware work on it? then you also have to buy certain hardware (good luck getting it running on an amd cpu for example)

I guess, but I mean you could probably build something pretty good that could run Mac OS a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a premade Mac. I've never used Mac and can't comment on the OS itself, but every time I see people debate about Mac vs PC vs Linux vs etc, the only flack I see Mac getting is the price of the hardware. I don't think Ive ever actually heard anything bad about the OS itself

nodejs script kiddies are not developer

hi pajeet

only if your original intention was to get a mac for the os. the os itself has several issue besides being a mess but most are related to extendability. in a professional environment you cant do this because of licensing issues i believe. there is one workaround i can think of but that requires owning a mac in the first place

brogrammer spotted

aren't you misunderstanding something, my dood?

>one port

what are you talking about? I'm referring to the iMac. Who cares about the macbook

>no dependency hells
>comfy environment
>nice UI
>high dpi displays causes less eye strain
>looks cool for the picture

>talking about code grinders

I've never seen one use it. Ours were all Windows or Linux.

If you make good money as a programmer and you use your laptop 8 hours a day at work and 2 at home for 3 years, and can sell it for half what you paid for it....

$2000 tax deductible is nothing, you get 1000 back when you sell it so it's 333 per year

less than one dollar per day for the very thing you use to make a living

>What about real programmers that make shit that makes world spin like z/OS and so.

depending on what they are doing they probably use actual workstations that cost $5000 and have a shitload of VMs for testing and god knows how much ram.

At my last job we had 30 programmers all who worked of various laptops in our IDE which was on mac or windows and 2 workstations, you just used the workstation when you needed it (mainly for VM shit) but that was not often.

as far as what hardware do the guys who program the guidance systems for the F35 and trading algorithms for JP Morgan use?

no idea

I priced out a workstation once, when you see what goes into a real IBM workstation it makes you feel like a faggot for building your own "powerful do it all gaming pc"

you can spend $2000 on graphics cards like it's nothing

The higher end machine you have and the more expensive and weirder the parts you are running the more of a bitch a hackentosh is

do I need a mac to be good at programming?

Ask linus torvalds or richard stallman or Woz who programmed the first apple by hand with notecards

it's like asking if you need a luxury car to be a good driver

unix like base with more support and better out of the box setup than linux.

Don't get a macbook then? My mbp has 4 ports, and at most I use 2

Except its 100% true

"coders" use mac

You need two Macs to be good at programming. and iphone, too.

Because if you don't need windows, why wouldn't you? Windows is cancer for development.

Linux is fine but some people don't feel like messing with config files to get everything to feel right. The first time you do it you feel like a god who has complete and utter control over your environment. The 10th time you do it, it feels like an annoying chore

because the person that buys the equipment at your work needs to make sure he blows through the entire budget to its maximum every year so they can keep getting the same amount of funding for when they actually need to use it on something the next year

apple's toys are a pretty good use of wasting the spending department's money while simultaneously showing the suits an upgrade THEY can interact with

It's a stable unix environment you don't have to fight with, making it well worth the apple tax.

They spent all that money on apple hardware wall tvs and decals that they couldn't afford ceiling tiles... sad

This

Also a decent package manager, actually working virtual desktops, and a touchpad that's actually on par with a tablet and not an emulated mouse with shit-tier gesture detection from the 90s. MBPs are great to work with.

2 rupees have been deposited in your designated shitting street Ranjeet.

>as far as what hardware do the guys who program the guidance systems for the F35 and trading algorithms for JP Morgan use?

Mac Pros from 2010

/thread

I think we all know that real programmers use focused rays of sunlight to etch instructions in silicon. “Muh Debian “ is meme just as much as your meme-intosh

GOOOD fucking job. You did it you posted the same bait mac thread for the millionth time. You must feel really proud right? It's not like everybody has told you that it is the only unix-like system with an important company behind it. yes they use mac because they don't have time for Ganooh/timesinkOS™ and they'd rather use a shitty normie version of unix than fucking wanblows. Now yyou can go get the blech, be sure to drink the whole bottle.

/thread