/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread () is autosaging.

Do you have stupid questions that don't deserve a thread of their own? Ask them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
microsoft.com/store/apps/9n3pc6thlx44
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
supermicro.com/manuals/other/BIOS_Flash_on_C7Z170_and_C7H170_Series.pdf
supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/H170/C7H170-M.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

best Chrome alternative for Windows?(not Firefox)

Do nyaa.pantsu.cat and nyaa.si use the same tracker?

Why are prototypes forced in C++?
What's the benefit of using them as opposed to defining the method when declaring it?

why should I use git over dropbox (+ 1 year revert time)? it seems overly complicated for just the benefit of having the ability to revert code.

so i have a wifi adapter and i have to run this command everytime i boot into my pc to get wifi running
it requires su and idk how to run it at the startup
its create_ap btw

Bump, one user answered but would like to hear from more too. (do I need any special motherboard etc, is it worth it, ..) Was also too late to thank other user. (Thanks if youre reading this)

what do you guys do for work?

version control is about more than being able to revert. You want to be able to answer questions like "Who made this change? When was it made?" You want to be able to easily have separate branches and facilities for merging them. You want to be able to answer the above questions even in the presence of many such branches, with different people doing different things to different parts of the code at different times.

Asking again because pls respond.
I'm trying to run a program (MP3Gain). Every time I try to run it though, an unrelated .msi file of an old game I have runs in its place and doesn't let the damn thing run.
Reinstalling does nothing; it runs fine the first time the wizard is done installing it, but any subsequent run triggers the msi file which never advances and has to be task killed to get rid of it; and I have no fucking idea why or how these two are even remotely related.
The standalone zip version with no installer behaves just about the same. I tried uninstalling the game, and that did make it work, but it started happening again after reinstalling the game because it is something I play often. It's like both programs are using the same msi file but I DON'T FUCKIN UNDERSTAND WHY.

What is going on?

If I am a single developer, do I need it? since I see it getting suggested even for that case.

windows 7 is better than windows 10?
It's imposible upgrate my laptop?
How much time a pc or laptop works?
Wish one is the best antivirus?

The X56?0 Xeons were LGA 1366 chips. Consumer X58 motherboards accept them fine in most cases (some need a BIOS upgrade). They share the overclockability of the first-gen i7s they were contemporaneous with, and routinely get to 4GHz. They have six cores and hyperthreading. They're 32nm and new enough to have things like AES-NI. They can be had on ebay or from various Amazon sellers for $50 or less. Being LGA 1366, they accept all the same coolers as 1366 i7s.

In short they're an excellent upgrade for anyone who owns an X58 motherboard to put them in. They're cheap and still respectably powerful to this day.

you'll want SCM the moment you have to work with other people on something. Trust me.

Chromium/Opera.
More control over big projects.
And yes, if you wanna possible have a team working on it or you want it to be opensource. It's a valuable good skill to have, too.
Which OS? There are a billion ways to autorun a command.
I give boys pictures of my cute asshole and they pay me shit.
Yes.
Depends on the model.
Depends on many factors.
Common sense.

Separating the declaration of a function, which the compiler needs to construct a call to the function, from the definition of the function, which the compiler doesn't need at all, gives you a few nice things: the ability to modify implementations without modifying client code, the ability to conceal implementation details from client code, and the ability to write your implementations with out having to put any time into ensuring that every function is written in exactly the right place in your file.
That last one will really ring true for anyone who had to do CS homework iin Pascal.

So it does need a special motherboard - would it fit a H97 PC MATE motherboard from msi though?

>Which OS? There are a billion ways to autorun a command.
linux
i use lightdm btw

Thanks anons.

Create a service file that starts it upon boot

did kaby lake ditch some old amd card support?
I have a Radeon 7670 Myst and my new Kaby Lake build won't detect it.

so you know when you restart firefox it loads up the last tab you were on but then all the other tabs are kind of in suspended animation

well after ive been browsing for a while i'll end up with a lot of loaded tabs and the speed of browsing will suffer

so im wondering is there a way to return all the tabs that im not currently viewing to that 'suspended animation' state (and if so will it actually help speed up browsing again)?

thanks anyone

that sounds scary ;-;

Then forever run the command like a lil bitch instead of making it easy for your self

Why are you even using linux ?

That's not a 1366 motherboard, so no.

I just bought a new SSD and I want to install windows 10 on it. I'm currently only using my HDD with Ubuntu installed.

is there any way I can install windows 10 on my SSD and keep my Ubuntu HDD still bootable?

Sad times, thanks still user.

install windows on ssd
then reinstall grub

Vivaldi

That's it? I thought grub/all the boot stuff also being on my HDD would result in conflicts of some sort.

> low_quality_bait.jpg

Yes.
Newer laptops have chipset problems with 7.
Depends on specs and brand.
Example, There are Thinkpads that are 11 year old that still work with no problems, meanwhile your average HP laptop will die from overheating in 2-3 years because HP planned obsolescence where they dont add any proper cooling so laptops are 70-80°C.
Malwarebytes + Adwcleaner and you not opening shady stuff.

Who's the best internet provider, currently with cox who are becoming cucks.

your pc will either boot from your hdd and load your old grub install or it will boot from the ssd and load the windows bootloader.

just reinstall grub after installing to the ssd and set the ssd as your boot device in bios. then your pc will load grub, giving you the option to boot ubuntu or load the windows bootloader.

at least that's how it should work, but i've never used windows 10. 10 might complicate things, so make sure to do a backup of your ubuntu install just in case.

help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

> the definition of a function, which the compiler doesn't need at all.
Well actually, compiles need something to compile

> ability to modify implementations with modifying client code
No. If you change the implementation sufficiently to have to change how it is called you are going to have to modify client code no matter where the method is defined. If you are trying to refer to linking to a library then that is not what they asked.

> the ability to conceal implementation details from the client code
Suppressing a clients freedom is or arguable benefit and, again, no reason to mandate the separation.

> without having to ensure every function is in the right place
That's nice, but it's only necessary because of how the simplicaly the compiler it's written.

ctrl+w

Why does this happen? It's not specific to Chrome either, happens in both Opera and Mozilla as well.

How do I git gud at soldering?

Currently trying to resolder some wires to a circuit, but I can't seem to make any progress.

Like we say where i am from, You learn from fucking up stuff.

Routing
Throttling on either end
Distance to host servers

Hello friends.
I've been struggling thru some issues with my old wireless router, for the past few days, but managed to iron them out mostly. Last thing I'm left with is firmware upgrade (finally), but shit doesn't work. I got the package from the manufacturer's webzone, get in on and all that pops out is "upgrade are failed" pop-up massage.
What am I doing wrong pls halp.

Iwara throttles downloads.

Toshiba Satellite L755-sp5167
Half Tera
Intelgraphics
i5
Norton 360

>routing
Can you open a bit more on that?
I'm having problems with videos loading too, it takes almost 10-15 minutes for a single video to load.

Not 4K but its looking good

Iwara throttles the fuck out everything.
Everyone that isnt from Japan will have that problem.

Its actually faster to download the video and watch it than wait till it loads.

PinStar, microsoft.com/store/apps/9n3pc6thlx44

The internet is a series of tubes.These tubes go in a plethora of ways.
You are taking the long about route which is why its slow.
You have more servers that you are talking to to get to your end point.

That speed test is the closest servers to you,which is why they saturate your pipe

Sorry in advance, these are a lot of questions but they can be grouped together: I just updated my phone, I come from a jurassic 4.4.4 and going to 6.1/7.1. I wanted to know if the old must-have apps are still used:

Is Adaway still the best hosts-level ad blocker?
Please tell me a file manager (with root access) that is not as bloated as ES
Is Nova Launcher still the best custom launcher?
Is MX Player still the best video player?
Is SuperSU still the best superuser app?
Is TWRP still the best custom recovery?
Does anyone still use titanium backup?
Is Xposed still widely used?
Is Zooper still the best widget factory?

Damn I'm so old.

thanks but it turns out this actually closes the window

anyone else know?

Well, I had no idea about it, this sucks. Still, such a problem shouldn't occur when I'm using the ubuntu's website to download the iso, right?
But can this cause such a drastic downgrade for download speed? I get it's obviously dependent on the server we're talking about, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Try downloading something else.

Also Iwara is way better than the old alternative, trust me.

Its either this or FC2 where the video download speed is limited 70Kb/s, MMDs are censored based in the site rules (No public loli and tentacles) and you download a 40MB flv file which you have to pay instead the original mp4.

my tweeters stopped working on these speaks

anyone have any idea how i would go about fixing them?

Whats the most secure email to use?

Just tried it and yeah, it seems like I was being impatient about Ubuntu's download speed, it went to 2-2.5MB/s right now. Don't know about the old alternative by the way, was it really that terrible?

help me
teamspeak is not working

Your own with pgp

Yes, you were limited to watch like 7-8 videos a day, low quality and resolution versions of them and compressed flash video instead the original source video like iwara does unless you paid $20 monthly.
Also popular videos get put behind premium automatically, and thanks to MMD sekrit club faggatory this site was really popular for MMD creators that want their content to be removed automatically or limited.

Iwara just uses a private/friend system.

WE
NO
SPEKO
TACO

UNNASTAN?

Install C++ packages.
I assume you are using windows 7 x64 right? give me a moment and i will link you the installer.

Not him but its huespeak.

microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Also you only need
vcredist_x64.exe, dont download the others.

Open then up and check the wires to the tweeter haven't come lose.

i already have
microsoft visual c++ 2015 isnt it?
i already have it installed.

I posted 2013 not 2015.
You need them all, they're not backwards compatible.

Stupid, i know.

Pic related.

Right so I have an Ipad 2 (inb4 appleshit).

At some point or another I think an update fucked it and now its constantly stuck in recovery mode.

I've tried a soft reset. I also went to itunes and tried to update it through there. Basically when I try to update or restore it through itunes it will say the update is complete and that the ipad just needs to reboot and then it will show up in itunes or turn on. This doesn't happen. It either times out and can't connect or just straight up stops rebooting.

The cable is fine, the pc its connected to is fine, everything is up to date minus the ipads firmware.

I've also just let it charge for a while, and even when I was sure that it had messed up the reboot I let it do it's thing for 3 hours or so.

pls help Sup Forums

Am I losing any audio quality by setting Realtek to quadraphonic and using "speaker fill" (where it outputs stereo to the two speakers separately instead of actual quadraphonic)?. I only want to use two speakers at a time, the desktop ones when I'm at my desk and the TV ones when I'm at the couch. I plan on simply turning off the speakers when not in use.
I have it set up and it sounds fine so far, but I don't want it to bite me in the ass when I go and try something with bass or something.

i hate microsoft

Most programs that need them install them together with them.

Example, any Steam game will install it if they are needed.
LoL installer does.
Most basic programs that need them do it too.
Teamspeak should do it but i cant confirm you since i dont use it.

Recently put together a small computer for my office but I'm having issues getting it to display anything on my monitor.
Build is
Super Micro C7H170‑M
Intel Pentium G4620
EVGA 400B PSU
8GB DDR4 RAM
I've already tried reseating everything, the fans seem to be working but I just cant get a signal through the DVI or hdmi ports. What do?

>That motherboard
Are you setting up a small office computer or a server? should have bought a MSI H110 motherboard.

Alright lets start.

Did you connect the CPU 4/8 pin power cable?
The 24 pin motherboard cable?
Did you pushed RAM till the locks are in place?

Do the fans keep spinning or they stop?

Actually, I didn't have to do the quadraphonic option. For some reason it didn't work until I set it to that, but now it works just set to stereo. Whatever. Same question still remains, but I'm not hearing any difference in quality anyway, and there's no delay between the four speakers when I do have them on too, so that's a plus if I'm presenting something at my computer to someone on the couch, so we both get audio. As far as I can tell, the computer is simply sending two different audio signals to two different amplifiers, so I don't imagine the quality would be any different? I'm retarded when it comes to audio shit.

Also, you might need to upgrade your BIOS since your motherboard is a Skylake Motherboard and you are using a Kaby Lake CPU.

How to store hard drives? I have 3 right now so my desk is enough but I'm planning to buy more and don't think I have enough space near my computer for them.

Is it normal that I can't fully disable PWM fans like you can 3pin ones? 0% in Speedfan still has them spinning :/

yes, the fill sucks ass, but if you unironically use linux (preferably gentoo) you will have front speaker signal copied to back with stereo sources, windows xp style. Doesnt matter with 5.1/7.1 etc signals though.
You dont need to set it to quadrophonic from what i member, you can set both blue and green as front speaker and make them play simultaneously

No.

What am I doing wrong then? Some Speedfan setting I've fucked up?

Yeah, this is what I have now. The green and blue jacks are both set to front speaker. So no issue with quality then? Using Windows.

small office computer my dude. the motherboard was $80 I guess I should've gone with an MSI.

I connected the 8 pin CPU cable
Connected the 24 pin Motherboard cable
RAM is locked snugly into the A2 slot

when it powers up the CPU fan and the fan in the back spin. they power off when I turn the power off.

How can I go about upgrading the BIOS without having a visual aid? This is the first time I've had an issue like this.

Put them IN the computer case

yup. they play the same signal, it should even have the same volume if you used identical speakers.

I usually adjust the volume on the knobs for the desktop speakers and the stereo's remote for the TV. I keep Windows volume at 100 all the time. Not sure if that's what the default is. I've read somewhere that 50 is the default and pushing it to 100 is actually lowering quality or some shit, but most sources seem to say 100 so I just keep it there.

Well, I'm planning to use them for storage mostly, you mean buy internal drives instead of external ones? How many drives can a case storage? Let's say I already have a SSD and one internal hard drive, how many more can I put in?

NIGGA SERIOUSLY
ARE YOU ASKING ME HOW MANY SLOTS YOUR FUCKING CASE HAS.

LOOK IN THE MOTHER FUCKING CASE AND FIND OUT FOR YOUR FUCKING SELF NIGGER

HOLY FUCK THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST POST THIS ENTIRE MILLENNIA

Depends on your case and mobo, you gotta open it up and look

it really does not matter imo, at least not with on board audio cards. Someone should really measure this properly with FFT or something, but noone cares enough i think.

I thought there was a standard number for cases, didn't know they varied from case to case, sorry.

Super Micro is a rare brand, hell even Biostar have USB BIOS flashing without the need of turn it on.

Look at this, Read the Number 2 in page 9:
supermicro.com/manuals/other/BIOS_Flash_on_C7Z170_and_C7H170_Series.pdf
If it was a common brand i would be able to help you but this isnt., honestly i never heard about Super Micro.
supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/H170/C7H170-M.cfm

Even your motherboard site confirms it:
>Intel® 7th†/6th Gen Core i7/i5/i3 series, Intel® Celeron®, Intel® Pentium® processors; CPU TDP support up to 115W TDP
>† BIOS version 2.0 or above is required

You could always RMA it and get a H210 or B250 motherboard for cheaper.

Any relatively good android apps to learn German? I learned this language for 3 years back in high school and would like to start anew.

pls someone help me. I've tried everything I can think of and have read legit 27 times.

There is no standard number of 3.5" slots, depends on the case size too.
Some cases only have 2, other 6, hell mine has 14 and modded in another 4 in the backspace.

A BIG case has a BIG number of slots
A SMALL cast has a SMALL number of slots

Okay user I get it, please stop bullying me.

>did kaby lake ditch some old amd card support?
Nope.

Make sure you have adequate power to the card. Set the BIOS to PCI-E graphics first and disable the onboard graphics. Install the current AMD drivers. Try another slot.

That's highly dependent on where you live.

Use flux. I don't care if your solder is rosin core or not. Slap a big hunk of rosin/flux on whatever you're soldering.

I need to get the drivers for a Acer E1-510, the official website only has downloads for the x64 Windows 8 but it has W7 x86 installed, how can I find which drivers it needs and get the appropriate ones?