Distro for a workstation

Any Linux sys admins here?

What is your distribution and DE of choice for your workstation?

I'm currently considering Fedora, Ubuntu or Debian Testing with Gnome as it seems to be the most supported and updated DE in the next few years.

I've been running Arch KDE for the past few years and its fine OS but due to its nature and KDE being a dick sometimes it is not as stable as I would like.

Also, this thread is not meant to be a distro nor DE flame war as the choice is based on personal preference even though I might start using Awesome or I3 as my wrist is starting to hurt.

MacOS

macOS

He said he wanted a workstation, not a Facebook machine for fags.

I've got friends who use Awesome and really happy with it. They are both sys admin and computer scientist types. It seems like it can appeal to people who are in it to trick stuff out or need a streamlined workflow for something specific. I've heard good stuff about i3* and it's variants as well.

I'm a big fan of DWM, it's what I use. It's extremely lightweight, open-ended in terms of what you use with it, well written, stable. I found that having to compile my settings in and writing those settings in C isn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be just given the overall application is so well written.

just install fedora workstation and dont listen to anyone, you'll only get confused
Ubuntu is a nice option too

Fair mentiones as I've seen plenty of them within the IT companies but mostly with web devs.

Yes, i3 / Awesome are both noice but I would have to create a new workflow and get used to it asap.

Did you stick with Gnome or ? I can't get used to it but I guess with extensions I can make it usable.

At the moment Gnome is the only kind of good looking and usable option after KDE. Unity is fine but will get replaced by Gnome soon.

Yeah, the future development of Gnome is my only reason for considering it.

The trackers memory usage is bit annoying but I can deal with it easily

I guess Fedora 25 (as the 26 is still not out but I've heard that the upgrade proccess on Fedora greatly improved in the past few versions) or Ubuntu Gnome it is.

Thanks anons.

Plasma is not more buggy than Gnome

i love plasma but it still has some bugs

In my case it was, there were some issues with the taskbar and Plasma crashing after using the scroll to increase sound levels. Journal did not capture anything to debub and I wasn't in the mood to create a thread on the forums to debugg it.

Plasma has improved so much in the past year but it still need some improvment stability wise.

like gnome
and I think that Fedora use wayland since 24, wich is buggy as hell

debian stable with i3. works for me.
>arch
never. i would never allow that on my network. not to mention working on it, haha. I value my time, and so does the company.

you can also try newest ubuntu 17.10 snapshot, it uses gnome

Yea I meant hackintosh since its easy to manage if you are not tech illerate, and apple hardware is not worth it

T. Owns macbook

god I wish I could get a footjob from her...

>i value my time
>uses debian

if you're used to vim/tmux/etc bindings getting used to dwm/i3 takes maybe an hour tops. If you're not used to bindings for things though it's a change of mindset for sure.

I'm not a sysadmin but a dev instead, I use Ubuntu 16.04. I really don't like Unity, but it's better than Gnome and KDE is too glitchy, this shit actually allows me to get work done and functions decently with 3 monitors.

Slackware.

And I'm not trolling. If you're a competent sysadmin, it's the system that stays out of your way the most, doesn't surprise you, doesn't throw any curveballs and lets you get on with your work. You don't need to constantly install new software on a workstation so dependency resolution is a non-issue (all the standard stuff you need is installed right from the start anyway).

Porting to it is easy as fuck cause your package manager is too lazy to fight you. And the knowledge you gain isn't distro- or version-specific, so it doesn't have an expiration date.

All you have to do is set it up once, write a script to roll it out to however many computers you need, sit back and light a pipe.

not an argument

That's cool. There is no need for newer packages or you just backport them?

I would prefer to wait for the LTS version or use 16.04 with Gnome.

I do own a stinkpad which is compatible with OSX, not sure if all the hassle with kexts is worth it.

Yeah, I've been using vi/screen/tmux daily as it part of my job. I guess I should switch to Awesome or i3.

Truth be told I've used Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity and it just worked without any issues but as it is abandoned I guess Gnome should be next to get used to.

Debian stable user

not saying it's the best option as it definitely takes some getting used to. you'll find that you don't have to reach for your mouse much, hitting Alt+Key makes things like switching windows, opening terminals, etc really fast. (when i'm bored and thinking i just habitually blast through all of my windows)

Fedora

My company supports Debian Stable with Xfce only. Its mostly for historical reasons, I think it's fine since the workstations are intended for working. Like 40% of our ppl use it, most of which are devs. Most are pretty content. Really low learning curve, hard to break anything, easy to repair.

People are allowed to run anything, but there's support for Debian/Xfce, Windows and macOS. Ill gladly help someone installing Arch or Mint, but that's about where support ends.

This. I'm still new to GNU+Linux and Slackware has been the most hassle free distro I've used.

Debian Stable with XFCE is what I was going for originally but as Gnome is getting popular in most of the main distros I was considering it.

Maybe I'll jsut install XFCE as backup DE and use i3.

Gosh, so many darn options.

As somebody who has a riced out Arch setup w/ bleeding edge anything, I respect and appreciate those who use Debian w/ XFCE for the purpose of getting things done. 'Generic' can often mean 'works on most things'

just werks

SysAdmin here, I use Ubuntu 16.04 with unity at work, Mint with Mate at home.

Currently I'm considering switching to Fedora at home.

That better be a trap

Nope. that is Ariel Rebel.

I knew i'd flogged my dolphin to that face