Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
help.gnome.org/users/evince/stable/print-booklet.html.en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

GNOME is comfy

GNOME is great

>logo is a foot
wtf I love gnome now

sorry, I only have 4 gigs of RAM and a 2.0Ghz i3 processor. I need my resources for other things than a DE.
Also, once you go WM you never go back

the Gtkfilechooser is the worst piece of shit out of every single DE there is.
Fuck gnome.

GNOME isnt bad it's just boring
with something like LXDE you can customize every fucking thing while GNOME is just GNOME

Tried GNOME. Looks like shit, performs like shit. I prefer Windows 10 and macOS to Linux with GNOME.

What if I use Gnome but hate it for good reasons?

I don't hate on GNOME. I think GNOME, KDE and xfce are the only DEs worthy of existence. Everything else is just a waste of talented, or even shitty devs.
Unity is finally dead. MATE, Pantheon and Cinnamon should also give up. Since all of these can get the equivalent UI using GNOME extensions or KDE/XFCE ricing.

Gnome is shit and developed by hipster retards that only care about looks and not functionality or bugs. Basically the desktop equivalent of js devs.

>there's poor people browsing Sup Forums right now

Gnome is literally unusable.
End of.

why?

Because everyone else says so!

Former GNOME user here
It looks great but the window UI takes up half of your screen and you have to click 3 times at different corners of your screen to switch windows
Not convenient at all

No, because KDE isn't a hog anymore and works better than Gnome in every way possible.

If I wanted a giant ATM machine for my desktop environment, I'd go to the bank.

gnome devs are retarded

Or use Windows 8.

And Nazis

Looks ugly and bland though. XFCE+kwin is my setup.

I'm coming from a MacBook so Gnome is comfy.

I've tried i3wm and I can see how it could be better, but I'm too lazy to try and figure out all the new keybindings I have to remember.

So how many more times do you need to get debunked before you stop posting this nonsense?

Doesn't work on my machine (openbsd)

Ugly? Plasma 5 looks great, but to each their own I guess.

LXDE is shit. What you're actually enjoying is Openbox Window Manager which sits on top of LXDE, which is just a bunch of shitty software at the core.

You have yet to debunk this

It was fine back when it was all I understood.

4gb ram and core2duo, gnome runs just fine.
another shitbox has a celeron and 1gb ram, and runs cinnamon adeguately, so i would expect gnome to be fine there as well

>half of your screen
>click 3 times
???

unity 7.4/7.5 is better

I liked gnome, but then as I grew up I found myself needing advanced WM capabilities and so I switched to i3

Is Unity dead now?

Yes

How about your screenshot? This is hardly ugly by any stretch of imagination. Not mine though.

GNOME3 is neither a tablet nor a desktop UI and combines the worst of both worlds.
I've tried it a number of time and just can't grow to like it.

Yes/No.
It's as 'dead' as XFCE - in that it no longer has a corporate sponsor, but it's not actually dead.
It'll be better off now as Canonical won't be trying to add more tablet features and it can finally be ported to Wayland.

Which DE allows me to have the date like the following and it not look like complete ass or just simply not render at all.

i like gnome even with its inconsistent design decisions

>It's boring to use DE to launch GUI applications
>I want to rice!!!

Stallman hates GNOME, and so do I. We should listen to our God and savior.

what is it with Gnome and huge Window controls

I dunno but it can be changed afaik

I use GNOME and MATE, and MATE is better.

My man.

>my setup isn't bland
your color scheme is shades of gray

>my setup isn't bland
>your color scheme is shades of gray
>Not mine though.
And again, how about a screenshot of your setup?

>Stallman hates GNOME
WRONG.

>stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

>Mostly I use a text console, for convenience's sake. Most of my work is editing text and that is more efficient on a text console. On the text console, the touchpad can't cause me any trouble if I touch it by accident.

> I do use X11 for tasks that need a graphical interface. I have no preferred graphical environment or window manager. Since my interest in using graphical environments is small, I don't want to spend time comparing them.

> This is not an ethical issue, just my own personal preference. On the ethical level, I think it is important for free software to provide free graphical user interface software, which is why the GNU Project arranged to launch three projects to develop that. The third, GNOME, was successful, so we never needed a fourth one.

>Most of my work is editing text and that is more efficient on a text console
This isn't even true, what a retard.

It is also bad on KDE.
Some applications are larger than my resolution and you can't resize them.
If I wasn't lazy, I would fix it, but guis isn't my thing

KDE also has a proper file picker and no screen tearing out of the box. I think you'd rather choose that.

>no good reason
help.gnome.org/users/evince/stable/print-booklet.html.en

Why not use the terminal exclusively?

I like gnome because it looks good.
With adapta as the gtk and shell theme it looks great and works fine. I'd consider kde if I could make it look as nice.

My specs are too old.

Not him, but here's a screenshot of my setup.

gnome is fucky but i see plenty of nonsensical hate about things that are non-issues

>he makes assumptions about people he doesn't know en masse
I think you're the autistic one here.

So now that Canonical is gonna make Gnome the DE for Ubuntu, does that mean we'll actually get a usable Gnome?

Im a newfag with Linux, and im good with MATE, but out of curiosity, how friendly is gnome?

I just switched back to gnome after trying out KDE. While it's cool and you can make it look good and to however you like, it's fucking overwhelming.

It's hard to figure out what settings affect/configure what, software app Discover is absolute fucking trash, won't even install calibre, very easy to fuck up tweaks/customizations especially in panels...

I see why Ubuntu chose to go the GNOME route, KDE is nothing like Unity, at least GNOME is familiar

That's dash to panel right? How do you change the font for the clock/weather, tweak tools font settings doesn't change it at all.

I like my title bars to be consistent across applications

some quotes from gnome developers

>Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We’ve fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality. A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

>I’m particularly surprised by the inclusion of themes. It seems bizarre that we specifically designed the GNOME 3 control center not to include theme installation/selection and then to reintroduce that very same functionality via extensions.

>The point is that it decreases our brand presence. That particular user might understand what it is that they are running, but the person who sees them using their machine or even sees their screenshots on the web will not. The question we have to ask ourselves is: how do we make sure that people recognise a GNOME install when they see one?

>We’ve always argued that if it is anything, GNOME is a UX. There might be a case for letting people tweak things here and there, but I really think that every GNOME install should have the same core look and feel. Otherwise, what is it that we are doing in the first place?

Don't customise goy, use stock, paint the logo on your forehead, we brand whores now.

Developer of Transmission was approached by gnome developers to remove the functionality of adding a notification icon in the status bar (staple for any desktop environment/window manager comibnation but removed in gnome)

He replies:
>So now we can have three builds of Transmission that decide at compile time whether to use AppIndicator, GtkStatusIcon, or nothing at all, over such a stupid feature?
>Removing it altogether, as you suggest, will hurt XFCE users.
>I wish GNOME, Canonical, and everyone else involved would settle on one consistent API for this and stop fucking the app developers over.
>In order for this ticket to move forward, I’d like you to tell me what change should be made to Transmission that will make it work properly, out of the box, on GNOME Shell, Unity, and XFCE.

To which gnome developers reply
>I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I’m sorry that this is the case but it wasn’t GNOME’s fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

Your app is no longer "GTK app". It's Gnome, Ubuntu or XFCE app. Enjoy your enthusiast OS lol, we're totally not corporate faggots we swear!1

Because GNOME is also behind the development of GTK.

GTK is a fucking mess. Even the maintainers of LXDE has switched to Qt.

And Qt i.e. C++ isn't exactly Cloud 9 either.

I even vaguely recall Linus Torvalds having beef with GTK and opted for Qt instead. And we all know his infamous rant about C++.

That's how atrocious GTK is. Don't quote me on the above though.

But hey at least Rust and GNOME are working together. Whether that's a recipe for ultimate cuckdom or something beautiful only history can tell.

But wtf do I know. I haven't done any non-trivial programming with either toolkits.

Take it for what you will.

>GTK/GTK+ still can't do this in 2017
>literally every single OS and every single DE can do this
>the devs have known about this since 2004
>GTK/GTK+ STILL CAN'T

I have to use it at work because the machines have nothing else installed and I don't have sudo rights. I have come to greatly dislike it. It's a bitch to customize, by default the titlebars on all windows are disgusting, GTK is crap. I gave it a try and have since installed KDE on my desktop and laptop. I have even asked about getting it on my machine at work, but of course that isn't happening.

WHY IS EACH ENTRY SO TALL
WHY CAN THE DRIVE LIST NOT BE HIDDEN
WHY ARE THERE NO LARGE THUMBNAILS
WHY DOES TYPING FILTER THE LIST RATHER THAN JUMP TO THE ENTRY

GTK makes me so angry jessu fucking chrits

Gnome-shell is actually written in js
Go figure