Replace your computer with a tablet

>replace your computer with a tablet
Why do people continue to spread this meme?
Even my grandmother looks at multiple applications at once on laptop which is a pain in the ass at best on tablet.

people just follow what ads / companies say because they cant think for themselves

A tablet is a computer

As an avid user of the iPad Pro, maybe I can shed some light on that.

Re: multiple applications at once, I have a 13” laptop and a 12.9” iPad. Something I began to notice about the laptop was that I rarely tried to have more than ~2 applications visible at a time. Trying to cram any more into visibility just induced reflowing and general bullshit. If you’re going to have a 23” display, then yeah, you’re going to want to be able to do some heavy simultaneous viewing. But 13”? The experience degrades beyond two visible tasks anyway. And, for what it’s worth, the iPad Pro now does three: two apps side-by-side, plus media playback in PiP. It also supports workspaces very similar to those found in macOS.

Re: usability, the iPad is shockingly usable at this point. There are very few use cases that aren’t served by it. Basically, ask yourself this: are you in a position where you require a very specific application for a very specific reason in order to meet your needs? If yes, you’re probably always going to need a desktop-class OS, and that’s okay. But a lot of people will answer ‘no’, and tablets — particularly the iPad – are for them.

It doesn't even have a file system lmao.

This almost doesn't count because you're using an iPad Pro. It pretty much beats out all of it's competition. Comparatively, the average chinkshit grade Android tablet doesn't even come close in terms of usability.

I’m running the iOS 11 developer beta, so, yeah, it kinda does. At least, it has something as close to a file system as is truly necessary: a place for files you’re working with to go while they wait to go somewhere else.

Yeah, agreed. It is literally the best tablet. Android tablets in general should be avoided at all costs. The Pro starts at $649 and trades blows with last year’s MacBook Pro on benchmarks, which is completely fucking unreal. It’s worth every last dollar.

>ask yourself this: are you in a position where you require a very specific application for a very specific reason in order to meet your needs? If yes, you’re probably always going to need a desktop-class OS, and that’s okay. But a lot of people will answer ‘no’, and tablets — particularly the iPad – are for them.
It's actually the opposite since tablet software is centered on very specific applications. The exception are resource intensive or super dense UI programs like 3D modelling or pro video editing.
For general computing desktop/laptop still shits all over tablets because they aren't running gimped mobile OS's. Even browsing Sup Forums on ipad is awful compared to desktop.
The only benefit is portability.

>it has something as close to a file system as is truly necessary
Can you download a cbz through safari, open it, view and delete a couple images, rezip it, then open in a comic reader?
Can you download an image and upload it to Sup Forums without compressing the image or losing the filename?

What I mean is that, if you’re specifically trying to run some kind of academic research software, or cataloging software, or something that’s required from the top down by your school or your workplace, that may never be available on the iPad. But if your needs are more general, like “email”, “word processing”, “photo editing”, “video editing”, “taking pictures”, “reading books”, “watching videos”, “taking notes” etc, that’s when the iPad shines. It’s a matter of “I need Photoshop” vs. “I need to edit photos”.

I’m positive that you can do almost all of those things. PDF Expert can unpack and repack zips really well, and you can handle photos however you want with Files/iCloud Drive/your app of choice via the share sheet. The one thing that I’m not sure it can do is alter the file extension of the .cbz file to perform that specific operation. It might be able to, I’m just not sure because I’ve never tried it.

I know what you meant, it's common idea, but I think it's wrong.
The tablet experience is currently defined by specific use software aka apps; the fact specific niche apps like academic software or CAD are bad on tablets doesn't change this. Tablets are good at most specific use software; they excel in portability and apps with a focused use. Things like monitoring your diet or sleep, tracking sports, etc. The issue is you can't use apps together easily.
Compared to desktop OS's multi-app workflows are horrible if not impossible barring extremely simple things or apps that are made by the same people.
Even if you only do "email", "word processing", "photo editing", and "reading books/papers" you can do these things far better on a desktop OS that has a fully featured windows, multitasking, file system, etc.
I can type and read my paper in Microsoft Word while having browser open next to it with multiple tabs on Wikipedia and other sources, while also having a pdf open and youtube playing in the background. Maybe you can barely cobble together this on an Ipad but add one more thing like a citation manager and it quickly becomes a mess and slow. What takes inb4 you'd never need to that
Enjoy artificially limiting yourself to what App developers and mobile OS allow you to do. A desktop OS also has limits but they're vastly higher.

Tablets like surface with full featured OS are future not over specced iPads still running same old gimped iOS.

So you can't upload an image to Sup Forums without compressing it and losing the filename?
Nice computer bro.

>video editing on an iPad
feces tier

>photo editing on an iPad
look at me I can draw on picture in snapchad

>Word processing
Subpar

>Taking Notes
The people who I see "taking notes" on computer and tablets in general in my science courses, are the people who drop out of stem and become marketing majors. As you proceed to upper level classes you'll see the amount of laptops/tablets drop dramatically.

>“taking notes”
Until they make it feel like paper it's shit.
Also Surface does it better since it has an actual OS and real keyboard.

I actually prefer monotasking, it tends to help me focus. And you’re right. When I’m in the middle of a particularly heavy research project, I do sometimes fall back on more powerful desktop-class computing equipment.

That said, the iPad + desktop model is still pretty viable. I take my iPad to campus with me for classes. It’s really well-suited for that environment: the Apple Pencil is good for note-taking, the mic is good for recording lectures, the camera is now as good as the one in the iPhone 7 (insert pictures into notes!), and it’s the perfect interface for all my books and note-taking needs. In addition to all of that, it’s a general-use light-duty computer. It’s an academic’s wet dream. Even when I’m using that desktop-class computer to type up my paper, I have handwritten notes pulled up on its desktop that were taken on my iPad, and the iPad is sitting right next to the keyboard acting as a combination notebook and textbook. If I don’t need it for either of those, I can use it as an extra display for my computer via Duet. It’s useful literally all the time.

As an aside, I object flat-out to your statement that reading books is in any way better on a desktop-class OS. I have *never* seen an implementation of ebook reading on any desktop OS that compares to software like iBooks, Marvin, or Chunky.

Nice reading comprehension. I said you can handle photos however the fuck you want. That includes sending them to an app that applies no compression and preserves filename, as opposed to Photos.

>video editing
Luma Fusion.

>photo editing
Affinity Photo and Pixelmator.

>word processing
Both Pages and Word, both of which are reasonable baselines. Hanging indents are a pain in the dick on Word, but it’s not bad otherwise.

>taking notes
Handwriting notes on a tablet is for the truly patrician student. Handwriting improves retention, and the tablet helps keep you neat, organized, and productive. You never lose or forget your notes or books, you’re never without them during an opportunity to study them, you never run out of paper or lead or ink. You never wear holes through your paper or fuck it all up by making a mistake. I can literally shift an entire figure downward in seconds to accommodate something I think should go above it. You just can’t do that on paper. Best part is, if I’m out of my depth with handwriting (for instance, programming notes), *then* I can whip out the Smart Keyboard.

>I actually prefer monotasking, it tends to help me focus
Just because you're using multiple applications doesn't mean you're not monotasking.
I am monotasking while writing a paper, typing a homework, or posting on Sup Forums but I use multiple applications in doing each.
If someone was reading a textbook while using a calculator and scribbling notes on paper nobody would say they're multitasking. It's using multiple tools in conjunction which mobile OS's continue to fail at.
The rest of your post is not replacing computer with iPad but augmenting it.

>That includes sending them to an app that applies no compression and preserves filename, as opposed to Photos.
Which won't let you upload to Sup Forums.
Please prove to me you can post any image downloaded from Sup Forums back to Sup Forums without changing the filename or hash.

FWIW, if I was going to take notes, read a textbook, and use a calculator at the same time, I’d open the calculator on my phone, and put the textbook and notes in split-screen. It’s not rocket science.

Honestly, I’d probably use the calculator on my phone either way. PCalc is bomb as fuck, and I prefer using it to using the numpad or the mouse-based interface. I guess poking it on a Surface might be okay. I don’t know. Honestly, the Surface has always rubbed me the wrong way by seeming more like a laptop with a touchscreen than a “tablet”. Windows just isn’t a touch-first platform. It’s a keyboard-and-mouse platform, and that DNA isn’t going to do you any favors. If it sucks and is significantly diminished when you remove the keyboard, it’s not a tablet.

>FWIW, if I was going to take notes, read a textbook, and use a calculator at the same time, I’d open the calculator on my phone, and put the textbook and notes in split-screen. It’s not rocket science.
It was an example of using multiple things not being multitasking idiot.
The idea that preferring monotasking means a tablet is suitable is stupid since many monotasks are done better using multiple tools at once.
It's like someone using a broom refusing a dustpan because they "actually prefer monotasking".

You could have bought a mac book air for less than your iPad which could have accomplished significantly more.

It doesn't sound like you replaced your computer with a tablet.

How the fuck do you write a hole in your paper?

>It doesn't even have a file system lmao
iOS uses HFS+.

APFS*

Depending on the version

This reminds me of the "why pay for internet at home when you have mobile data on your phone".