/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

ATH M40 best fone

Anybody hace experience using the headphone out on a power amp? Is it a terrible idea? Thinking of either getting a schiit jotunheim+bifrost ($800), but the Marantz hm7005 ($900) has a phono stage, banana outs with 80 watts into 4 ohms, plus a dac and headphone out.
Point it, will the hm7005 still sound good with headphones? Planning on buying th900s, dt1990s or lcd-x eventually.

The headphone outs on stereo receivers generally are afterthoughts. Might not be shit but don't expect it to be as good as an amp which was designed for headphones in the first place.

HD600.

/thread

You should look into the emotiva basx a-100, it's just an amp but it includes jumpers so you can mod it into throwing the full 50watts to the headphones, it will drive anything very cleanly

Best microphone under $50 for general voicechat/videogame usage?

Should I buy the hifiman X v2 or is there anything better in that price range?

ZM-Mic 1 is super good

I'd suggest looking into stax instead. I could post internal pics of the HE-1000 which would shock you in how shoddy the materials/construction are. So just imagine how shoddy the lower tier hifiman is.

I know this is kinda gay but does anyone here use covers? I feel like I'm destroying my HD600 with my own filth.

you are damaging your last man hood by doing it. honestly you only destory by your own filth if
1. dont take showers at all or rarely ever
2. you sweat so much in your ears
3. your on it 24/7 never bothered to clean it a few times with a wipe.

Yeah but mice and controllers naturally collect these things over time regardless of how many showers you take. Headphones can be pretty expensive and their pad replacements are a rip off.

RadioShack USB desk mic will work just as well as any

I thought RadioShack went bankrupt.

So my legendary SHE3590 finally broke after [spoiler]3 1/2 years.[/spoiler] It was the third one but it lasted way longer than the others which died in barely a year.

Did some checking in the archives and apparently a few years back they started sounding like shit. Any good replacement for this?

Usually use it on my phone. Huge bonus points if someone can recommend something good that has either playback/volume/mic.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

>trading in a bunch of old shit I don't use anymore to Amazon
>waiting a week for ground shipping to get to the destination

Hnngg, I want to get the HD600 already. I'm already tired of using my old shitty gaming headset on onboard audio.

>old shitty gaming headset on onboard audio -> HD600
You're in for a shock. You'll regret all these years spent using a shitty audio chain.

Don't know about that, but you can still get the mic from eBay or Amazon

Philips SHP9500S are on sale at Newegg. How do they compare to the HD600?

Are the HD6xx worth it if I've been saving up for HD600? From what I've heard their sound signature is different, less neutral, which I normally wouldn't want, but at their current price they're like 50% off what you'd normally pay for them (at least in Bongistan).

Much less bass, much more treble

stupid fucking weebs

what are the best isolating phones money can buy

HD600 is very flat. Great for analytical purposes

I'm mostly going to be using it for games, looking for immersion. When listening to music I'd also want something neutral. I'm not looking for headphones that have any sort of special sound signature, or have a particularly pronounced bass, or anything like that.

please respond

I've heard the audeze el-8 titanium closed are pretty good

Poorly.

Go HD600, they're the super remarkable neutral headphones.
HD650/xx are only a little less neutral, but they're just not that magic headset anymore.

I have some shitty old PS3 headset from ages ago
Which would be the better choice (prices are didgeridollaridoos
>SteelSeries Siberia 150 = $80
>Corsair Void = $85

Considering upgrading from the 6xx to the hd700 drop but hesitating because of looks.
Why the fuck are the 700s so ugly when hd800 looks so great
Is it worth 2 times the hd6xx price?

hey op, i found this pic a long time ago and i wanted to know if these headphones really exist or if there are real headphones looking smiliar, i would pay soooo much money for these i just think they look epic

forgot to add pic here it is

>he doesn't know about V-moda

omg thx

FYI: negroid bass but V-moda makes the famous V-Moda BoomPro mic.

Neither. Read the OP.

Pretty much nobody likes the 700. The 600 and 650/xx are much better.

True, 600 and 650/6XX snap much better.

Just ordered the 6XXs, first jump into the audiophile world. Have the 6 months until delivery to save some more for a DAC/amp setup so that's good.

Pls stop typing like a nu-male fedora. Just do some research it isn't fucking hard.

huh?

This website for people over the age of 18

got me there I'm actually seven and a half

Is this legit or just meme?

>something on Sup Forums
>questioning meme status

I'm not an authority on this but it certainly looks like a meme. Everyone and their mother are unironically recommending the HD600s so I this is probably ironic.

Yeah, that's what I fear. I'll probably stick to my schiit plan and get a phono preamp sometime down the line.
I've heard of it, but I don't know why I'd do that. The jotunheim is already a really powerful amp that can easily drive t50s and he6s

He didn't ask anything you moron.

Not very well? That's not a good comparison

If you really want isolation and nothing else, probably some stupid Bose botnets with active isolation. The sennheiser momentum is also sold with ANC if you pay enough, and they actually sound good.

I'm looking for a successor for my K701 that's slowly turning yellow/gray.

I'm in Germany and willing to spend up to 450 Euros for an upgrade. I mostly liked the 701's openness and soundstage, therefore I'd go for full-size open back again. I'll be connecting to an Essence STX (to be replaced with an O2/ODAC soon).

The new headphones should definitely be a little more comfortable than the 701, and have a little more punch to it.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I've been looking at the Beyer T90, but don't know if that'll fit my bill.

Thanks a bunch.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I disagree with what it says about the hd600s because I own them and they are perfect but after 4 years I've been thinking about trying something new headphones. Maybe those dt880s I thought I googled them and they have pretty high reccomendations.

I recommend against. Perhaps try k712 or something.
The problem with the beyers is that treble's absurdly powerful. That's very dangerous to your ears. There's countless reports of related issues.
Idiots perceive treble rape as detail, and this company is just exploiting it.

I'm new to caring about this stuff. Gonna get a decent pair of headphones soon and I was wondering if it would be alright to start out using ATH-M20X or if I should spend the extra buck getting the 40s

Go for the 40s.

That's nothing, when a sennheiser snaps, shades of razor sharp plastic fly everywhere at speeds of up to 300 mph. My friend was almost blinded by it, needless to say he's not bought another sennheiser.

Hey, I just recently upgrading my k702's to the Hifiman HE400i's. I'd definitely recommend them, they're like next tier comfort honestly, the pads are really snug (and the first headphones I've ever worn that actually work with glasses properly)
They are SUPER open though since they're planar, like, they're as loud on as they are off.

Between these, clearly m40x. Below that, it's chink-fi.
However, does it have to be Audio Technica? Consider other headphones at about that price, such as the Sennheiser HD558 and the Sony MDR-7506.

Hifiman is amazing and shit at the same time. On one hand they have a fucking un-damped planar driver with no backplate which is somehow super neutral fucking voodoo magic. On the other hand they can't figure out QC for shit.

How can I split audio out cable from my PC so one goes to active speakers and second to headphone amp?

Why not use a preamp?

Schiit Fulla 2 and Magni 2 Uber are suggested.

I need headphone suggestions.

>Budget
No more than 150€.
>Source
Either my UR 22mk II or my phone (Galaxy S3 GT-I9300).
>Type of headphone
Full sized over ear.
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
Rather nice since I wear glasses at all times.
>Sound signature
Rather neutral.
>Past headphones
AKG K271 MKII. Nice balanced sound, but there's no bass. Not just the boomy side of it, but I simply can't hear bass guitars lines at all. Amazing when listening to classical music, but I don't feel they do much else.

Pic related what I listen to at the moment.

Look into mdr-7506, mdr-v6, HD380 Pro, m40x.

Some look familiar to what I had tried before, but I'll keep an open mind and will look to try them again if I can, thanks.

>Budget
Preferably under $100
>Location
Australia
>Source
At the moment, front panel or USB. Wouldn't mind looking into a better set up, if you anons wouldn't mind sharing some relatively cheap ones.
>Type of headphone
on-ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
I want to be able to sit at my computer for 6-10 hours in one sitting, with minimal breaks. Sound quality doesn't bother me, as long as things are actually able to be listened to. I don't want some dusty old coot farting in my ear.
>Sound signature
"v-shaped (boosted bass and treble)"
>Past headphones
Plantronics Gamescom 308 - Decent ear foam, fairly decent built-in mic, can skip if I bother finding a decent mic arm for a mic I already have.

M40x with pads
Hm5

Just got my dt 770s in. Great fucking sound compared to my cloud IIs. Now I just need a good amp, I feel like they could be a little louder.

Thanks for the suggestions, but they're both about $170.
I probably should said $100 AUD to clarify. My bad.

>on-ear
>10 hours
No.
Do yourself some good and go over ear.

I just picked up a new headset for my pc since my old one broke. I don't know if this is relevant but the old one was a USB Headset and the new one is an analogue. Whenever I use Skype or Teamspeak, etc. with the new headset and someone talks, everything else gets it's volume lowered and when noone talks, everything else's volume slowly rises, which is really annoying. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I already have set communication to "do nothing" in my sound configuration.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

>I just picked up a new headset for my pc
hahahah lmao, what a pleb.

Well, I've been wearing these Plantronics ones for the past almost 12, and it's not going to be a straight 10 hours.
I've tried several IEMs before, and they all feel irritating after a few minutes.

For comfort, go *over* ear, not *in* ear (IEM), not *on* ear (resting on ears instead of on head).

Got any recommendations for a sub-hundred AUD set then? I bought these too long ago and have no idea about headphones.

100 Australian Dollar equals 59.08 British Pound
Sorry, I don't know anything that cheap. I'd suggest not getting anything, and saving money into an emergency fund so that you can last a couple of month without income.
Come back when your economic situation is better. Good luck my friend.

I'm thinking of buying a AKG K92 for 60€ on Amazon, is it worth?

Dunno exactly what the prices are over there but take a look at some of superluxes stuff, maybe an m30x or something too.

if you can get some velour earpads for it, maybe

It's not financial issues, I'd rather just not spend a ton on headphones.
I know I bought these on sale, but are even decent quality headphones worth more than the $100 I'm expecting to get anything for?
Cheers anyway.

Anyone?

Decent starts around 70GBP. The good stuff is 150-300.

How good is SMSL M3 for HD650? Will it power them enough?

>Budget
About 100 CAD or 75 USD

>Location
Canada

>Source
It's going to be plugged into my motherboard which uses a Realtek S1220A

>Type of headphone
Full sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
As much as possible,but I can always buy ear pads

>Sound signature
Doesn't matter

>Past headphones
None, I currently use my Samsung earbuds that came with my phone

So far I'm thinking about the Audio-Technica ATH-M30x, but can anyone provide more knowledgeable suggestions? Thanks in advance

Is the planar meme worth it at all? I'm the fag looking for neutrals and currently looking at the HD600s. Somebody mentioned hifiman planar ones, are they worth considering at all if I'm just looking for something realistic and neutral?

I don't know if anyone here can help you, and you may be better off going to or something for this.

Max input power for the HD650 is ~240mw at 300ohms, that amp gives 24mw at 300ohms, or 1/10th of the HD650's maximum.

So i doubt it's powerful enough really.

i want wireless headphones because it's 2017

What's more important to you, bass linearity or treble linearity?

Uhh can you explain to a newfag?

HD600 has more realistic cymbals and other treble based instruments. HE-400I has tighter bass because of its extension and the lack of a midbass boost like the HD600.

Then go get some faggot

Watch out, you'll trigger the poorfag who can't afford a 384GB phone to store FLACs for wireless use.

>tighter bass
Sorry if I'm being autistic, but what does that mean? Like I said, I really am a newfag itt.

Am I understanding right that the HD600 is better for treble, while the HE-400i provides a more realistic bass at the cost of trebles?

How do they compare in terms of soundstage/positional accuracy?

If in doubt, go HD600. There's no more neutral than that. Not without some flaw or another, that is.
It's a reputable modular (all parts replaceable) headphone that's been around since 1997 against a newish headphone with notably poor QC.

Meme with some truth behind it
Love my good old knife-ears (DT 990 pro)

Thats the gist of it.

HE400i absolutely destroys the HD600 in terms of soundstage, HD600 wins in imaging though.