This is the world's smallest computer Sup Forums

This is the world's smallest computer Sup Forums

>as powerful as a commedore 64
>powered off of the ambient light and heat in the room alone
>can be reflashed by shining precise light at it
>transmits information via radio signals (not wifi or bluetooth)

You can snort this computer up your nose.

Other urls found in this thread:

eecs.umich.edu/eecs/about/articles/2015/Worlds-Smallest-Computer-Michigan-Micro-Mote.html
youtube.com/watch?v=VjLRNkNgJGU
cia.gov/library/video-center/video-transcripts/insectothopter-the-bug-carrying-bug.html
technobuffalo.com/2017/01/22/nintendo-virtual-console-super-mario-rom/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cool beans!

>You can snort this computer up your nose
That's where it'll will be in a couple years, right up in your brain. Not even mandatory, consumers will love it like they do they smartphones, etc.

Link?

there are computers far smaller than that

No OP, but here: eecs.umich.edu/eecs/about/articles/2015/Worlds-Smallest-Computer-Michigan-Micro-Mote.html

Its from a couple years ago.

i want a computer in my nose that is participating in a ddos attack and has open telnet

But can it play Call of Duty at 4K?

youtube.com/watch?v=VjLRNkNgJGU

Really makes you think

Literal nanomachines!?

Not quite, but man made enzymes are literal nanomachines.

>cant plug in my vga cable

Neat.

If you ever did nobody would belive you. The computer deciding if you are fit for public apperance would swiftly deport you to Australia

it sounds like australia would quickly become a very cool place full of people that are redpilled in this reality

And the aboos.

Can't forget the aboos.

Sounds good to me desu, so long as the software is libre.
Being able to instruct your brain to instantly go to sleep / wake up at a certain time sounds great.

(you) too user

The software won't be libre

Stop it

>powered by ambient heat

The laws of thermodynamics would argue otherwise.

google words smallest compute proof me wrong

*snorts up nose*
*no light*
*doesn't work*

source

no user the ambient heat in your nose would power it

Considering how tiny we can make older tech these days, it makes me wonder why nobody has created a little box the size of a box of altoids that contains perfectly accurate hardware recreations of dozens of old consoles and computers. Software emulation is cool and all, but it's never perfect and always has one weird quirk or another. Why deal with the quirks, unplayable games, etc? Why not have a tiny cheaply manufactured 2W metabox instead?

In particular I'd love a hardware recreation of a reasonably powerful late-90s PPC Mac. There's lots of games that can't run in emulators like SheepShaver due to lack of an FPU, graphics hardware, etc…

Have you never heard of a thermoelectric generator?

Because it's a niche market without any money in it?

Strap up faggots, in a few years we're in for a tough ride, just wait till the government figures this shit out

Can it run games?

fuck that IS SMALL

The sectors of government that actually have need for this kind of stuff have had it for many years before us. Rest assured their computers are probably ten to a hundred times smaller already.

Future user here.
All the cool ravers take Accela

>fuck up programming it
>never wake up

I feel like people will start caring a lot more about whether software is open source / libre if it's being implanted directly into their brain.
Although no one cares about the software running on their personal tracking / recording device they carry around with them everywhere so maybe not.

>Your mother has been infected with BrainLocker™
>Send $200 worth of bitcoin to this address or she dies in her sleep

Is that a question, user?

UMICH STILL THE BEST

Can you overclock it tho?

Yea Yea

But what the fuck does it do?
Anything?

If it just works for the sake of saying it can work then who gives a shit.

>it is now possible to create passive devices powerful enough to do orbital equations
Cool

>make it stomach-proof
>make it able to release drug doses
We accela now

>Have custom dies manufactured for them
>Just have to glue them together
It's not all that impressive considering the fact that they got chips manufactured for them.

Considering todays chip manufacturing its possible to make a chips even smaller than that shown.
It's just that i highly doubt that universities have the funds for very specialized custom chips that would be manufactured at the smallest nodes possible.

What would make things interesting is a manufacturing process that would be very cheap to make custom chips on , have high density and make high performance logic elements.

Powerful governments are at best a generation or two ahead of the leading litho node tech. ASML and related companies have working technology for it that isnt yet capable of mass production, but for black budgets and high tech it is still possible.

It's not massively advanced, but they do have stuff people wont believe.

Honestly, satellites have probably been capable of doing that for decades. Patched conics aren't difficult to calculate. We didn't do it decades ago because we didn't have a reason to.
The michigan micromote is solar powered, but there is no reason it couldn't be modified to exploit the temperature difference between say a hot pipe and ambient air. It would probably need to be bigger though.
Here's the fucking crazy thing, they demonstrated one with a camera. Pic related. It's 2x4x4 mm. Transparent cylinder on top is a 160x160 camera.
web.eecs.umich.edu/faculty/blaauw/images/pdfs/546.pdf

RF range is 15 mm, so not great. But it's been a couple years they could probably extend it a bit. I would be surprised if the guy doing this work isn't working with the CIA.

>The Я Files

I was saying thats its pretty neat what is capable of being made that is that tiny, "self powered", and what it can do.

There have been labs which created conceptual environment powered flying bug machines a decade ago, and that idea had been on the table since at least the mid to late eighties. I know this isnt new or bleeding edge.

Was Lincoln a chinlet?

nope

The CIA developed a remote control dragonfly for carrying audio bugs in the 1970s:
cia.gov/library/video-center/video-transcripts/insectothopter-the-bug-carrying-bug.html

The design is surprising. It's more clever than high tech. It uses rocket fuel(probably H2O2) to inflate a tiny plastic bag to drive the wings up and down. It looks like guidance and control was similar to laser guided missiles of the time. Much of the control was probably done offboard. Onboard electronics needn't have been more complicated than heering aids of the time.

Flight time was like a minute and it turned out to be very sensitive to cross winds.

There are a host of problems with building robot bugs, one is the actuators. As you go smaller electric motors become less efficient and hard to fabricate. Piezoelectrics would be good for this. The problem is that piezoelectrics require high voltage. Doing DC-DC conversion on that scale is challenging. Hell even making good actuators is challenging. Had a friend doing work for the airforce investigating how to make the piezoelectrics for robot bugs.

Actually flying them is pretty challenging too, but it would be trivial to do something like the CIA did with the dragonfly today. Tracking it with a laser and sending commands to it. Light is a great way to send information back and forth at this scale.

whoa...
so this...
is the power....
of ....

A lot of older manufacturing equipment is getting sold off. So smaller companies and other have a shot at getting 180nm to 65nm used production equipment if they know where to look.

To be honest given some of the older gear I have seen at auction I surprised a group or a really rich person doesn't just buy a 90nm setup and start cracking out custom chips. Sure it may be 90nm when the market is pushing 14nm, but 90nm was cutting edge for 2004 and that level of tech can do a heck of a lot, even beat a lot of current stuff if the software and hardware are specialized together. My 1995 desktop smokes my 2012 desktop for a narrow range of tasks I have optimized it for.

read nigga read

Those are ARM shitboxes running emulators

No

but does it have a sid chip?

cant wait to play doom on it

The implied question is "Are you fucking retarded?"

Yes. I'm studying physics, I'm aware of what thermodynamics is. At least based on the picture provided, I seriously doubt a big enough heat difference could exist to generate the amount of power that thing requires, however little that may be. And that isn't even talking about consistency in that.

Jews, you know it sure as hell won't be used for good things.

how big is that coin?

using it as a size reference isn't much good if you're not already familiar with that particular coin

that's hard an expensive
putting software on off-the-shelf overpowered hardware is easier and cheaper
and software can be get you 99% of the way to the same thing

>I seriously doubt a big enough heat difference could exist to generate the amount of power that thing requires
At 500Pw, the pressure gradient of a light breeze would charge it.

Good goy

you mean 500pW?
watt is a capital W, and pico is lowercase (P is for peta-, a much, much larger unit)

>that's hard an expensive
Not for the companies which originally made the hardware.

A Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Sega collab box, covering everything up to 6th-gen, could easily be mass-produced for $500, and I would buy that.

And these days, the power and storage requirements would be so low, you could probably flash a 128gb sd card with everything you want to play, and play them on a totally passive device.

I'll swap remembering the notation case for a basic understanding of Bernoulli.

for a large-scale item it wouldn't be difficult, though still more difficult than using an off-the-shelf SoC, which they have already been doing

like the NES classic, it has;
SoC: Allwinner R16 (4x Cortex A7, Mali400MP2 GPU)
RAM: Hynix (256MB DDR3)
Flash: Spansion 512MB NAND
PMU: AXP223
which is stupidly overkill, but since it's common shit, it's cheap
that's enough hardware to fit every NES game ever in it's RAM alone

ps. yes, even nintendo will go the easy route when available
they've even been caught out using pirated roms in official re-releases
technobuffalo.com/2017/01/22/nintendo-virtual-console-super-mario-rom/
it wouldn't even surprise me if they were not using emulator code that is completely of their own design

>TFW annon isn't impressed if it's a silver dollar...

never heard of it

B-Bill Murray?

>Advertising via dreams.
>Buy the iPhone 45 plus now!
If you buy in your dreams you buy for real.

>implying Apple won't be embedding chips that need to be surgically replaced every 2 years for thousands of dollars.

>do something illegal in dream
>wake up to police knocking on door

Easy, just make the temperature difference really large. IE put one on a steam pipe in the siberian tundra during winter

Can't wait for these to be implanted into human brains.

>tfw you use your gnu/linux powered thinkpad to hack the brain of your 23yo QT3.14 neighbor and program her to give you a deepthroat, then to fug you, and then you erase any memory of her doing it from her head, all with free software of course

If you have some from of insomnia, try avoiding looking at a screen an hour before bed. If you absolutely can't do that, install a blue light filter on your device and see the difference. Blue light from displays fools your brain into thinking it's daytime, and thus prevents you from easily falling asleep until your body can't handle staying awake. This causes an awful amount of stress and hormonal imbalance. You're life will be a lot better once you start sleeping better.

Try to stay away from sleep meds as well, the side-effects are not worth it. Weed is much better than pills (as long as you're at least over 25, DO NOT SMOKE WEED IF YOU'RE UNDERAGE, IT CAN FUCK UP DEVELOPING BRAINS PRETTY BAD)

this

>weed
When you need just to drink some lemon balm and eventually adding some hops to it.

>has dream
>dream is not diverse enough
>gets v& for hatespeech by the Apple police

SANDRA
A
N
D
R
A