/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Core-i5-2-60GHz-4GB-128GB-SSD-Webcam-Windows-7-Pro-Laptop-/152603490707?hash=item2387e07993:g:GfsAAOSw8HBZHW7t#viTabs_0
ark.intel.com/products/64896/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz
ark.intel.com/products/64893/Intel-Core-i7-3520M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz
cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/945PM_Express.html
cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/945GM_Express.html
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60
pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1787983,00.asp
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T410s-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-M520-2-40Ghz-4GB-250GB-C1-/352087873088?hash=item51fa129640:g:v2YAAOSwq~tZQVo-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are there any decent third party batteries for a xx20 out there? Lenovo-brand replacements seem to be nonexistent down under.

uno for clean your keyboards lads

You either get a original one or a chink one.

pick your poison

What would be my CPU upgrade options on this one?

ark.intel says the T1300 has the same socket as dual core yonahs and meroms, but is there anything more to it?

inb4
>why would you bother with something so deprecated
I can get this machine for peanuts. Why not.

Just bought a T530 for 250€

is there a guide or something on how to do it?

Nice going. Plan on replacing the keyboard or leaving it as-is?

Learn chinese my friend.

I just take the entire keyboard apart and blast it all with boiling hot tap water
cleans EVERYTHING out, its great

Best is the Core2Duo T7600, the 2.33ghz 4mb one
Comparable to a Core2Duo E6700

o-ok

Leaving it for now

>not submerging it in a tub or isopropyl alcohol

it's like you like cum on you keyboard lad

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Core-i5-2-60GHz-4GB-128GB-SSD-Webcam-Windows-7-Pro-Laptop-/152603490707?hash=item2387e07993:g:GfsAAOSw8HBZHW7t#viTabs_0

>i5 2.6ghz in title
>i7 2.6ghz in specifics
>i7 2.9ghz in description

Goddamn sellers.

I dont cum on my thinkpads
i have too much respect for them
and some of them are rare as shit so cumming on them would make me look like a fool in the community of retards with glawk fowty housefires

But will it sure work plug and play in this particular T60? Or could there be some, idunno, bios issues or whatever?

for the price it might as well be the i5, if its an i7 thats just a bonus
go for it, and hope for the best, worst case scenario you can dispute it if theres any issues because its technically a misleading listing

>I dont cum on my thinkpads
LMAO

Look at this casual

Tell us how it goes. Our older models won't last forever.
>Got mine for a good price, within a 20 minute drive, from a local seller, the day the listing went up, from a kid that clearly took lovely care of his laptop
I think god wanted me to have a t420 compared to some of the trouble people have.

My libreboot x60 has a windows key. Can I get a GNU key for thinkpad x60.

ark.intel.com/products/64896/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

ark.intel.com/products/64893/Intel-Core-i7-3520M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Apparently they're basically the same goddamn CPU.

probably, maybe, stop the autism, just put a sticker on it.

>windows 10
why

The 7600 is the highest supported processor

cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/945PM_Express.html
cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/945GM_Express.html
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60

Both possible chipsets support it, the thinkwiki page lists the 2.33ghz core2duo as supported

all mobile intel cpus that aren't quadcores are the same chip but with different clock speeds and more or less cache enabled.

not him but just installed windows 10 ltsb 2015 on a shitpad and it just werks.

again, why

Are there any with 4c/8t on older Thinkpads? 2000-4000 series all seem to be 2c4t.

Why are old Thinkpads so goddamn good? Why is it impossible to find a simple, good laptop these days?

because it just werks,

any i7 QM is 4c/8t

I think

Budget:

>windows Ultimate tweaker

thank me later

windows 10 is the best OS on the market, why not?

Budget: $120
Looking for: X230 (that doesnt look like shit)
Texas

First thing to do is check local sites like Gumtree and Craigslist, then maybe local sellers on ebay. Local markets can be fucky, report back on what you find.

Thinkpad T410
You can get one in great shape with an i5, 4gb of ram, windows installed for about 100 USD
Drop down a bit in cosmetic shape if you can deal with a bump, scratch or whatever and you can get em for like 70 USD
T400 is also a good choice since theyre like 60 USD but youre back at core2duo level

Aye, looks to be the case. Thanks user.

Whatever you get, also buy a cheapo second hand ssd.

i wouldnt put an ssd high on the priority list at that budget
ive got a 5400rpm hdd and thats just fine for shitposting and old games, im not getting annoyed by the machine being slow or anything

Literally nothing on Craiglist, and nothing worth mentioning on Gumtree.

It had one of these though, which is adorable.

pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1787983,00.asp

Aye, I'd like to avoid the core2duo. I'll look out for t410s, thanks.

Not sure I care enough about this laptop to do that immediately desu, but thanks.

That can be an issue. I lucked out and found a bargain the day I started looking, most find themselves waiting a few weeks or even a few months. How urgently do you need the laptop?

you should pick up that poor t43 anyway desu
theyre good for browsing Sup Forums and playing Halo
pic related, my t42

Not urgent.

Showing that classic some love is a pretty decent thing.
Then it might be an idea to wait around a little while. Thinkpads last like no other laptop, so if you only plan on buying the one you don't want to settle. Then again, they're often cheap enough to be able to justify multiple purchases.

>not known about the 4 core CPU mod on T61
Look at this pleb

>he doesnt own a thinkpad G40
what kind of plebs are you?
dont you want a beefy multi fan cooler in your machine that handles 80w processors?

A T530 looks like the cheapest thing that'll fit your bill.

i have to ask for the last time before i pull the trigger on this deal. replacing my modded t430 with an x230 (i7, 8G ram, 120G ssd) for 300 usd (in europe). is it worth it? i am planning to replace the keyboard if i buy the x230. will i regret it in terms of screen resolution downgrade?

I'm planning to install Parabola GNU+linux-libre on m'y future T530. Does it support Libreboot ? Is it hard to flash a BIOS with those coreboot things ?

GNU+Linux just works also, but it doesn't mistreat you, it's more secure, you can tailor it exactly according to your needs and wants and it will obey your every command
it's pure waifu material
windows is a dumb aids ridden, cum guzzling, cheating whore with plastic tits that treats you like garbage and who's primary goal is to control you and milk your cash while also infecting you with all kinds of diseases she got from niggers that used her as a cum dumpster in your bedroom and stole your tv on their way out

T530 buyer here. I'm not gonna use Windows, I'm planning to install Parabola like said on post upstair ^^^

Latitude E6410 is a decent alternative to T410, too. Both of them have the option of 1440x900 screens, but they seem to be more common among the dells.

Thanks for the cpu-upgrade.com, didn't know of it. Guess I should trust what it says then.
I checked the thinkwiki before I posted, but somehow wasn't sure whether those T60 that shipped with solo yonahs have exactly the same motherboards and bios as the upper range ones and would support the meroms.

chink G42 motherboard when?

I would kill for something like that, imagine the G40 but with something like a 65w i5 or a Pentium G4560
8-16gb of ddr4, integrated would be a must unless they could slap something on there in the place of the chipset so the cooler could handle it
maybe something like a mobile quadro or gt 1030 in bga form on there
slap in a 1440 x 1080 screen and youre golden

Hi guys,

today I bought my first thinkpad and I'm extremely happy with it, keys are lovely, the clit feels great, all the bells and whistles.

One problem, though. The X220 has hardware keys and the Debian Stretch system can't see them as XF86 keys. What do, guise?

This is what it throws at me when I press volume up.

FocusIn event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyInferior

KeymapNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
keys: 4294967237 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

CreateNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
parent 0xcc, window 0x600146, (-100,-100), width 1, height 1
border_width 0, override YES

ClientMessage event, serial 18, synthetic YES, window 0x600146,
message_type 0x152 (_NET_STARTUP_INFO_BEGIN), format 8

message_type 0x153 (_NET_STARTUP_INFO), format 8

DestroyNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
event 0xcc, window 0x600146

FocusOut event, serial 20, synthetic NO, window 0xcc,
mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyInferior
^C

why redditors are so eager to post without actually trying to fix the problem themselves?
is it entitlement?
>help me!!
is it just being retard?

Sorry, should've added

AFTER TRYING TO FIX THE FUCKING THING FOR 2 HOURS

I fixed my XF86Mute button, at least. But I don't know what to do when it doesn't even show me any keys I could maybe put into Xmodmap or something.

I know shit about tweaking Linux and have no idea about your error, so this is not a quality comment, but on my E6410 the volume keys just work on Ubuntu (which is Debian based) and I think they did on my X200 too.
Also, try asking /flt/ maybe?

I am sorry for asking here, the second I hit post I saw "SQT" and "FGLT" in front of my eyes.;

How many x220 palmrest have you guys gone through? im buying my 4th one

>AFTER TRYING TO FIX THE FUCKING THING FOR 2 HOURS
You didn't try long enough.

It depends entirely on what you're doing, I've gone from T60p to X220 to X230, and up until now I've been fine with the resolution, but what I want out of my laptop is changing because I'll be putting my desktop back together again, and no longer have need for something maxed out but with a tiny footprint. As such I'm going to get an X301 or T430s.

If you're using Linux 1366x768 is ok. It feels a little claustrophobic in windows though, I can't use a web browser and feel satisfied that I'm seeing enough of the page (and it is a world of difference to my 1440p monitor.) I should install that old mod where the titlebar and tab bar are combined I guess.

Performance wise my X230 has never let me down. A 3520m, 16gb ram and an eGPU will make you a happy user if that's your priority.

Also the screen viewing angles are great with the IPS, the colours are far from vibrant, but you'll never have problems seeing what you're doing or looking at content lying in bed at an awkward angle. And it's LED so you don't ever have to worry about the colour temperature shifting over time (I'd love an X61s but it's clear that CCFLs aren't a good idea around 8 years after original release.)

Hope that helps.

what's the difference between t420 and t420s?

smaller, soldered cpu, ...

is that good or bad?

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T410s-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-M520-2-40Ghz-4GB-250GB-C1-/352087873088?hash=item51fa129640:g:v2YAAOSwq~tZQVo-

Here you go user, not much damage, just a bit of scuffing. Go at it with some soapy water and a bit of kitchen towel and it'll clean up nicely. Has 4gb and a nice i5, and is the slim model because why schlepp around all the extra weight when the price's the same.

Overall bad.

If you want to upgrade the CPU at some point, it's bad. Otherwise there's no difference and the device overall is much thinner (practically the same as an x-series) and lighter.

What do you use for scrolling?
Two fingers, edge or circular?

is it possible to swap out the quadro 1000m in a w520 for a 2000m?

come on you pricks BUILD THE DAMN THING

Budget: 500 $ or below
Size: doesn't really matter if its portable and not too small
Performance: Ill just use it for coding ( Atom ), and Ill install BSD/LINUX with wm only.
Other requirements: portability, libreboot support, fat keyboard would be prefered.

Looking to upgrade my laptop at work, using an old HP Probook 840 G1. Work is a mix of IT, DBA, sysadmin and report/dashboard creation. Going to need at least 1080p IPS, 8+ gb ram, lots of ports including ethernet, hdmi/displayport and usb.

HP Elitebook is out due to the crappy screen. Convince me on why (and which) Thinkpad I should get instead of a Dell Latitutde E7470 (7480 lacking mechanical docking is a big no-no).

ebay has a ton of germans selling thinkpads used from businesses

hahahahaha
be patient

someones t470 order on another site i browse

christ does he live in the middle of the Amazon or something?

Trackoint

Spain
on an unrelated note, i just discovered ctrl + s makes a spoiler thing?
[spoiler] neat [/spoiler]

gb2 to Sup Forums fag

weird
I ordered a custom T470 and it's only being shipped to the UK. I wonder why it takes an extra month to ship to Spain.

Im not sure, he didnt list his config besides having 16gb of ram
maybe he picked something weird they have to source
or it might just be an overestimate

Whats a good laptop bag for an x230?

>laptop bag
>for an x2**
why? it fits in any backpack, even in smaller shoulder bags

there's a section for bags in the sticky, some of those bags have padded laptop sleeves

I know the guide says to avoid E series laptops, but for £250 would a Thinkpad E540 with an i7 4702MQ, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD be worth picking up?

You do realize 840 G1 has 1080p IPS screen option, right?
>HP Elitebook is out due to the crappy screen.
wew lad.

SSD upgrade for a X230: should I look for SATA or mSATA hdds?
(apparently, the answer is mSATA, but please someone confirm)

do you want 2 drives or 1 drive in the laptop

thanks for the detailed reply. in the end i decided to keep my t430. i have spent too much energy on modding it and i want to continue that. it is going to make an excellent machine for many years i am sure.

2: ssd for the os and programs, keep the original normal hdd for the rest.

thats a good price for it, considering they were new 2 years ago for like 900 pounds
just note that with an E series you lose a lot of premium features mainly related to build quality, i/o and the materials used
but when it comes to used, doesnt matter too much, except for how long you expect it to last
in 2015 a T440 with an i3 and no dgpu was 900 pounds, the e540 with the i7 and gtx 940m was the same price

well there u go

although I went this path and ended up just ditching the HDD, the extra noise/vibrations/power consumption was not really worth it

but you can get used Samsung 840/850 EVO mSATA drives off of Ebay for cheap, you can also get mSATA to 2.5" drive adapters for cheap too

I'm looking for a Thinkpad because of the brand status, I think i'll probably stay away from that then. I'm in no rush, I'm sure i'll be able to find other nice ones that aren't E series.

is it true that it must be an msata if you want to install an os and be able to boot from it?
(i read some conflicting info on some forums, somebody said that if the extra hdd is not on msata, it won't appear as a bootable device in bios)

on my x230 everything's bootable.

You'll want the boot drive to be the 2.5", because the mSata is limited to SATAII, whereas the 2.5" is full SATAIII.

Page up and down.
Also home and end

no it doesn't matter the mSATA drive works as a normal hard drive

you might have to change the boot order in the BIOS, but it all works like normal

speed difference is pretty negligible