/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

puretime03.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are you wearing today, /wt/?

What are some cheaper examples of watches with dual smaller dials like in the pic related...?

Nice Air King, I mean Sky Dweller, I mean Datejust, I mean Day Date, I mean Oyster Perpetal, I mean Explorer.

They put 5 lines of text on the dial just in case you forget what model it is. Recent models also have the word Rolex engraved like 100 times too in case you forget the brand.

does Sup Forums approve this chinksite?
puretime03.com/

>$300 up to $500 for a fake fucking watch
I won't stop you, but I will laugh at you. You could buy an actual decent watch for that money.

my dad's old Explorer II. I really need to go get it cleaned/serviced one of these days

that watch looks sad :(

>riding the metro home
>business guy in a suit looks exhausted, flat out asleep on a seat
>wearing what appeared to be a PP Nautilus

Should I have bashed his head in, gone for the watch and run away?

Would it make me a bad person?

The Metro

snzh 55.

what strap would be good? was looking at a cordura.

>be me
>recent trip to Italy
>park car in the middle of the day in a parking lot packed with other cars
>come back less than 2 hours later
>smashed window, car emptied out
>luggage for a week long trip also gone, including my favorite watch
>file claim with insurance, watch was a gift and I didn't know it was worth 300 dollars

Now I have 300 dollars and I'm down a watch, any suggestions? I'm a fan of silver watches with leather bands

That watch looks incredible, reference?

I'm looking for something black with a thinner bezel and a metal band with a second hand for work, something $200 or less, analogue or digital is fine. I have babby wrists. Been looking at Braun watches, but I want to know what Sup Forums thinks.

Conversely a nice pocket watch would be cool.

I am thinking of doing something nutty guys. A brand new Rolex Submariner is $6800 if you shop around.

Parts for the new rolex are nearly unfindable, I have seen the following parts sell for:

bracelet $2200
case $2500 (with crystal, without crown)
dial $400
movement $3000
box/docs $200

That's $8600

I would make about $1200 after ebay fees

If I do this 6 times I can have basically a free submariner just for my trouble on ebay

I have enough paypal credit to do it, I would make a video of me unboxing the watch and show the serial number so everyone would know they were getting brand new unused parts, i might even get a little more than i listed if I do that.

what do you think?

Sounds like a hell of a hassle, and you're assuming you'll sell the parts at the price you expect, or in a timely manner.

I agree, but I'd also like to add that that's a pretty big investment for no assurances. Maybe you'd score big, or maybe you'd be 9k in the hole. Do you have the finances to make that gamble?

I sell shit on ebay all the time, I have hundreds of transactions.

breaking the watch down to 5-7 main parts and selling them is no big deal to me. The prices seem pretty consistent for these parts and most people are selling the parts slightly used, I would be selling them all matching from one watch with the protective film still on them and the SN documented

>maybe you'd be 9k in the hole. Do you have the finances to make that gamble?

I have researched this enough to know the worst that would happen is I would break even or lose very small.

The bracelet and movement are sure things. And the case is nearly a sure thing at that price

there is no way I could lose ALL my money, it's brand new rolex parts, they have value

Then go on ahead, I wish you the best of luck. You clearly know what you're doing, so don't let a rando like me stop you

So I have 6k for a watch. What's the best options?

Snow Frake. Be sure to get the new version.

serious options only

Yes, that was a serious option. Were you just expecting to hear "ROLEX, PHUCKA"?

>Then go on ahead, I wish you the best of luck. You clearly know what you're doing, so don't let a rando like me stop you

I am open to opinions about this and criticism. There may be something I have not thought of, however I don't see how I could lose 100% of my money

was thinking breitling, omega, tag heuer and what not

Both rolex and grand seiko would be better choices than anything from those makers.

ahahahahaHAHAHAH

>grand seiko
I have too many seikos and don't like rolex

I will never get why they put ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX on the fucking watch, like what were they thinking jesus

Look at one of the in house tudors then.

Looks good, but why are you wearing it on your hand?

Anti-counterfeiting measure.

>breitling
>tag heuer

Shit up your nice expensive watch just so it's harder for Chinese people to copy it. The logic is flawless.

what do you wear? Timex?

I actually hate the new version; I'd prefer it a lot more if the GS was on the bottom so the spring drive text and power reserve didn't look so lonely.

I'm wearing an Omega shitter, fight me

pics then

>watch no longer fits wrist
>still have the extra accessories to make it bigger
How do I adjust the size for my MK6247?

By throwing it in the dumpster where it belongs and getting a real watch.

>but why are you wearing it on your hand
as opposed to?

Does leaving a watch in the sun for a long period of time give it patina? Also does sliver dial even age? i don't see any sliver dial that have patina

Your wrist.

>real watch
A watch only serves one purpose though, so why would I need a new one?

nice

idk. thats the way it naturally falls on my hand. i also prefer it to be more towards the hand rather the wrist to stop it from moving around.

didn't there used to be a pastebin?

Seagull 1963

What strap width did you use for the metro? Also, what spring bar size did you use?

So I went with my girlfriend to the local Hudson's Bay in London, Canadia buy a gift for her relative in China. We picked up this Timex Weekender chrono from the clearance section for $59 Canadabux ($45 USD). For the money it's a really nice watch- the finishing is much better than I expected, superior to Chinese mechanicals costing twice as much, and I forgot how handy Indiglo is. Superluminova ain't got shit on this. I'm thinking of picking one of these up off Amazon or something for myself, maybe with the blue face. It really seems to punch above its weight, and I am sort of searching for another honest working watch after my Komandirskie started acting up. It's not too loud either, despite all the noise people make about the Weekender TICK TICK TICK.

What are the best casual wear, under 200 dollar watches?

gshock

it would make you a nigger

you got refugee'd
take a loot at orient star classic

>TICK TICK TICK

only the non-chronograph modules have this issue, the chronos do not have loud ticking so if that bothers you, be sure to get the chrono

I bought a 3-hand Weekender when I first started university in 2012. At the time I didn't even know it was a "thing" because I didn't know shit about watches, they just happened to be cheap and in stock at Walmart the week before I left. I hadn't worn a watch before that and was told you should have them for exams.

The ticking is fucking maddening. You could hear it everywhere, in your dorm room, in class, in an exam. But once my battery died the day before an exam and I had to borrow a friend's watch, he had the chronograph version of mine. I realized it was a lot quieter and found out later it's actually because the movement is built differently.

tl;dr the Weekender tick is real, but doesn't affect the Chronograph models.

>Living in the same city as fucking Al Archer
>Not collecting vintage Omegas
Fucking plebs man, I swear.

Picked up one of these for 35 bucks.

Was looking for a really water resistant watch for the beach and work (waiter on weekends). I hate wearing anything nice to either place. Just stresses me out, and this shit is so cheap I can beat the crap out of it and not care.

Hope it looks decent enough in person. Might change the band though. Something metal?

How cheap are we talking?

please no bully.

It's the CAR221A, I personally prefer the CS3113

I won't bully if you take a wrist shot

That Longines is pretty neat, I'm a sucker for integrated bracelets. What's that women's watch, does that thing in the middle spin around?

It is pretty nice.

clean your shirt, thats disgusting

Yes. It is a borel cocktail watch. The two red hands show hours and minutes and there are two discs in the middle, one fixed and one running seconds.

Neat. 1940s?

Looks pretty good in real life, bought this for a relative who was looking for something reliable. Was impressed by the decent build quality and bezel.

Yep, Landeron cal. 48.

Alpinist on a Phoenix strap

does anyone have any idea where I go to find a discontinued Seiko at retail. I know there are some Japanese sellers you can email and they find the model you're looking for that have never sold. I can but it on eBay but I don't wanna pay 300 extra because it was discontinued

Guessing you don't have a wrist shot. Looks pretty big.

That's ugly as fuck m8.
It only looks good with leather.

I am 94 years old and have lived my whole life as a sub in a bsdm twink in a san Francisco fetish community I filmed 4 hours of man on man BSDM anal prolapse sex today.

but that watch is the gayest thing I have ever seen in my life

I think your post mades me want to save up a bit more and get a subby.

no, you're ugly as fuck m8.

I did try it on to see how it'd fit with my 7-3/4" wrists

Oh, nice. Thanks user.
Looks pretty fine. Just WAY bigger than I'm used to. I mostly wear vintage.

how do you put a nato strap on an F91w

i cant figure it out

pretty sure you need to buy an adapter

Exactly, I only wear divers on rare occasions, usually opting for a vintage omega, chrono, or tank watch

You just have to buy a thin NATO

>it's an abomination to make a gold moon watch

Not necessarily so. Gold is an excellent IR reflector and will protect from overheating in space where you have zero convention. In fact gold foils were used for that on the moon landing vessel.

Instead the real question is: why on earth was the face of the moon watch black? With 1.4 kW/sqm irradiation and no cooling that would cause rapid heating.

The later Alaska designs with white face makes much more sense.

Sweet you should do this with different colors but keep specific parts back and basically build a rolex from different parts and have a unique franken fucking rolex.

nobody wears a watch anymore

Belongs in /fa/

It's about time. And I'm saying this as a fair regular to this board. It's just not tech.

>Not necessarily so. Gold is an excellent IR reflector and will protect from overheating in space where you have zero convention.
Not worn on the outside of the air conditioned space suite numbnuts

also ozs counted for the moon walkers and wearing a weaker metal that weighs a lot more was not going to fly.

The faces were black because they were small and just did not get that hot. Sold gold watches are for men trying to pick up other men

not for chronographs from the 60s that got us to the moon with superior stainless steel

>nobody wears a watch anymore
yes I do, i wear it so i can look at my arm and see what time it is exactly.

or if you have a mechanical "to see approximately what time it might be give or take"

>Sweet you should do this with different colors but keep specific parts back and basically build a rolex from different parts and have a unique franken fucking rolex.

I was thinking of doing everything "buy it now" and raising the price a bit on the items I don't have yet, and putting it together that way when parts don't sell

i think it would be fun

Rolex the company are assholes and wont sell regular people things like bracelets and hands

Yeah because they don't want dumbshits trying to change the hands themselves and then whine when they inevitably fuck it up

To bad most of the time, this thread doesn't actually talk about the time-keeping aspect of watches; just the aesthetics of it.

That's why it's /fa/

I think requiring you to pay someone in the rolex supply chain $400 to check your gaskets and change your hands might have something to do with

if you send your rolex to rolex and it has fake hands on it the won't ship the hands back to you, rolex parts only

and they wont sell parts to the public

>To bad most of the time, this thread doesn't actually talk about the time-keeping aspect of watches; just the aesthetics of it.
it varies a lot, some days its post all day of "does this shitter look good" and some days there are good discussion of movements and watch history

i have learned a lot here

You give too much credit. It's mostly the former than the latter. And, either way, watch history is hardly about tech either.

>You give too much credit. It's mostly the former than the latter. And, either way, watch history is hardly about tech either.

no it's not, any fool can replace the movement on a rolex.

Rolex wont let you buy fucking aftermarket BRACELETS

do you think you could figure out how to put a bracelet on a watch user

regardless rolex has driven the prices of their parts to the moon and their watches are worth more in pieces than assembled

a rolex is 1950s tech, you can unscrew the back without shorting it out or giving it a virus