/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
askubuntu.com/questions/15284/how-to-boot-to-root-shell-when-grub-recovery-menu-fails-to-load-a-shell
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/reset_root_password
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/pull/664
http.debian.net/debian
youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Install gentoo

Install GuixSD

Install PCLinuxOS

Install Sparky

How do I install rikaichan plugin for qutebrowser?

Install Arch xD

Install Solus

Install KDE

I got this with xubuntu and couldent figgure it out, now on MATE I get the same thing.

jimmy@hoffa:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for jimmy:
Hit:1 us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:2 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [102 kB]
Get:3 us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB]
Get:4 us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [102 kB]
Fetched 306 kB in 0s (386 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
N: Ignoring file '20auto-upgrades.ucf-old' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
jimmy@hoffa:~$

nvm
sudo rm -rf /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades.ucf-dist

Install Debian

Devuan*

nvm its still fucked up even after updating the base to 16.10

*eats something from your foot*

Try
sudo mv /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades.ucf-old /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades.ucf
Maybe there's supposed to be a file without the -old suffix but it was deleted.

>Fresh install of the latest stable version of Antergos
>Boot first time
>This
>None of the three options do anything
>Googling the issue only gets me people asking on forums with no replies or "PM sent ;)" responses

NEAT

Pic didnt post for some reason

>"PM sent ;)" responses
Those people, along with the ones just replying with "this has been answered already in thread x" but that thread doesn't have an answer that helps you, should be put to sleep like fucking dogs they are.

Anyways, just load the default theme, does that work?

Is there a distro that focuses on free software but with newer packages than Debian and not as cutting edge as Fedora or Parabola?

I rm while in root, it may have been the java and flash updates no onw wants anyway, for some reason even when I chose not to install the 3rd party shit in the install, thats happened both times. Is that what caused it possibly?

Any way I can make my build more power efficient. I got a computer that'll be on 24/7 and wanna cut down on its power usage.
headless gpu-less linux box that I have root ssh access too

it doesn't have userscript support atm. There is a pull request but the maintainer doesn't want to accept it until he has finished a couple of other major codebase-wide changes which have been ongoing for a year or so now. You can grab the greasemonkey branch into your local install though. And then maybe adapt the ffxox addon to a proper greasemonkey script.

Possibly. Who the fuck even uses Flash these days? Ubuntu needs to get their shit together.

Look for any running services that you don't need running, stop them running. Change cpu governer. Look at perepherals you are not using, try put them in powersave mode. I think powertop could help with this but I haven't tried it in a few years.

I'd be happy to accept it if it actually was finished, but the author abandoned it. If someone picks it up, updates it, and makes it work with QtWebEngine, I'd be happy to merge it. I just won't be the one to do this work, as I have other priorities.

No shit, I can understand Java, but no reason to have that vulnerable ass shit system wide.

Default theme loads a blank black screen

Tried ctrl alt f2, keep getting login incorrect even though Im typing everything exactly as I did during install on the live usb

Yes, any distribution with newer software where you install a Linux libre kernel and don't install proprietary software.

>antergos

Nice useless, bug causing abstraction layer you got there, pretentious idiot. Enjoy your bugs, oh wait, you already are.

Is there a way to set up dual boot with windows without installing windows first?

I just found out you can get Windows 10 for free but I've already had Linux installed and configured for a while now and I don't want to give it up.

> the author abandoned it
Errr, no they didn't. The are actively developing the project. Are you referring to qtwebkit which is a completely different thing and wasn't being developed until recently. As a result, qutebrowser isn't supporting the old branch anymore.

Yeah, just install it second... If it is installed to the same harddrive at linux but on a seperate partition you will need to boot into a live disk so you can chroot into your linux install and re-install grub, which should pick up the linux install and add that to the grub menu. If windows is on a different drive just point the bios to the linux drive.

>Install Antergos
>This Problem on fresh install

>Install Fedora
>Will not boot after installing Nvidia CUDA

>Install Debian
>Can't do shit because the ONE AND ONLY user account on this computer is not a sudoer for some goddamn reason
>Can't add to list of sudoers because its not already on the list

Is there a distro out there that isn't bullshit?

is it possible to make a build server?

something that pulls from a git and runs "cmake && make" and dumps a log somewhere on build errors?

Mint

>Can't do shit because the ONE AND ONLY user account on this computer is not a sudoer for some goddamn reason
For security reasons you fucko
Just run "usermod -aG user sudo" as root and reboot.
Or open /etc/sudoers and go to the line that says root ALL=(ALL:ALL), copy it and paste below and just replace "root" with your username, save and you will get root access.

>Can't add to list of sudoers because its not already on the list
Boot into root shell!alalalal!!!!
Like: askubuntu.com/questions/15284/how-to-boot-to-root-shell-when-grub-recovery-menu-fails-to-load-a-shell
Or: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/reset_root_password

I'm referring to the GreaseMonkey/userscript pull request which was discussed above:

github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/pull/664

Same thing. Wont let me because "sudoers".

Did I fuck something up in the installation process?

>run several distros in VMs
>performance is shit
>install VB Guest Additions
>hyper speed engaged

Literally no reason now to use Linux as main OS if VM runs flawlessly.

Okay let me clarify, the machine will not let me log in as root because the only user account I can log into after booting is not on the list of sudoers.

Su does not work

Sudo su does not work

Sudo -i does not work

Are you telling me "su -" command doesn't exist?

>won't let me
>as root
Dude, you fucked up something in the process of installing the knowledge of what root is for sure.

chroot and set new password, fix all your other shit while you're at it.

>the machine will not let me log in as root because the only user account I can log into after booting is not on the list of sudoers.
You are confusing me. Can you login as root at login? It shouldn't tell you anything about the sudoers because sudo isn't installed by default.

Aren't you supposed to specify root password during installation?...

Yeah, and you are also prompted to create a username and password of one other user (which doesn't have sudo).
Probably the guy fucked something up during that setup.

The only account it lets me log into after booting is the user account I made when I installed it an hour or so ago.

When I open the terminal and type sudo -i, it asks for a password, when I type the password (that users password is exactly the same as the root password), it tells me that my username is not on the list of sudoers.

Same for sudo su

Same for any action I do with sudo

Su tells me authentication failed

Read those links above about how to get a bash shell from grub you idiot. Logging in isn't required, let alone sudo.

>it tells me that my username is not on the list of sudoers
You should login as root and edit /etc/sudoers like this.
Of course change "user" to your username

>Su tells me authentication failed
That means you entered the wrong password. Are you sure you set the exact same password on root and user?

Have you tried to see what happens with Arch or any other distribution?

Password was exactly the same

I went ahead and reinstalled debian and just left the root password field blank this time. Sudo works now. Just gonna make sure the username is a sudoer and then set a new root password.

Fedora and Debian did not have this issue, but I dont yet know enough about GNU/Linux to know if that's a stupid thing to say or not.

Arch without some kind of graphical installer may as well be Chinese to me.

Install Parabola

Holy shit the Mageia install takes forever.
It's been a fucking hour.

Getting a bash shell from grub DOESN"T FUCKNG REQUIRE A PASSWORD
What is the point in coming here and asking for help if you are not going to read the replies you get? Seriously, what is going through you head?

well I have an updated branch which took all of fifteen minutes to port and add some more features to. Haven't pushed the webengine stuff yet because I haven't got 5.8 (which apparently has native greasemonkey support) and before 5.8 it is rather diffuculte to get run-at document-start to work properly.

Gonna be honest with you. No idea what the fuck a bash shell is.

The thing I did was easier so fuck it.

Windows is the best system in your situation.

Well then, open a pull request ;)

>There is a pull request but the maintainer doesn't want to accept it until he has finished a couple of other major codebase-wide changes which have been ongoing for a year or so now.

Still not true. See

>the maintainer doesn't want to accept it until he has finished a couple of other major codebase-wide changes which have been ongoing for a year or so now
I hope you are not impying that opening yet another pull request will make this magically not true.

I am said maintainer. It never was true in the first place.

O-Okay. I'l open a new one once qtwebngine 5.8 hits testing because 5.7/6 have annoying prevalant edgecases.

What's a free cli irc client?

irssi

Is it botnet-free and free as in freedom?

uninstall Chomsky

it's a mind virus

>Irssi is free software licensed under the GPLv2, available for Linux, BSD, Solaris, Apple, Cygwin, …

So currently i have computers on my lan set up to back up their shit onto my loonix server, but all it will take is one lightning strike or home invasion and i'm fucking done and dead. Is there some free online service which will allow me to store at least 50GB of data as a backup? I will store it there as about 5x10GB encrypted files. Security is not a problem since everything will be encrypted.

Hope you're all safe and comfortable on systemd 231-17.

$ apt-cache policy sysvinit-core
sysvinit-core:
Installed: 2.88dsf-59.9
Candidate: 2.88dsf-59.9
Version table:
*** 2.88dsf-59.9 900
900 http.debian.net/debian testing/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

i installed manjaro i3 edition it was running perfect but got insecure about memes and deleted it now i am still distro hopping debian was too big to download fedora was a slow buggy but its still better than a lot i didnt install display drivers for my hardware tho :^) but still manjaro was running perfect and now 17.0.2 is released i think i should download it again or

Cna anyone please tell me how to disable antialiasing on fonts in Ubuntu Unity? I use i3 as my WM, but I doubt that matters. Do I just go into one of the Unity setting GUI thingies? I never used those.

What is the correct and safe way to install the newest version of GCC to be used concurrently, without fucking everything up or getting hacked?

update gcc

what distro are you using?

Ubuntu with GCC 6.2

Poettering is the kid in the red shirt Linux community is the other kid. Infosec is the GI Joe Soldier. youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8

In nemo is it possible to sticky these disks to the bar and add their mount point in front of it? I dont want them to mount by default, but i want it so they arent spinning until i decide to mount them too.

Tried to install from source, downloaded the files.

> sha512sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match

Changed mirrors, same shit..

Solus
Install Solus

Does anyone have any experience with the Arch-openRC ISO? Is there any issues with it?

Or should I just install Archiso and then just install openRC after?

shit distro.

You'll need go set up partitions beforehand. After that you're good to go.

I recommend that you consider 7 or 8.1 instead due to privacy and stability issues.

>tfw reordering my collections of movies and shit between my network computers
>tfw all movies are in full hd bluray rips and it takes forever to move them around at 20MB/s speed
i miss the days of everything is 700MB axxo rip ;_;

I'm trying to install the Electrum Litecoin wallet for OpenSuse but keep getting this error
already have the normal Bitcoin wallet installed fine

any other Litecoin alternatives for opensuse, or other altcoin wallets in general?

Linux

GNU/Linux*

install windows

Found a mint condition HP Compaq 6715s at work and brought it home since the boss doesn't give a fuck about laptops that look like they're from the stone age. Pic related. I think this is definitely one of the best looking laptops right after some thinkpads imo. Threw in 4GB of ram inside, a wifi chip, surprisingly had a fitting HDD for it. Has all covers, all screws, this thing was just left here back in the day and nobody cared about it.
I'm super into old technology and reviving some of it makes my day. The HDD I threw in had windows 10 on it, now before you stop reading, that's why I'm writing here. Should I attempt to install a lightweight linux distro on here? Shilldows10 seems to be working decently well, youtube playback works relatively fine, and I know on linux it can be either miles better, or just complete dogtrash. (Something to do with the flashplugin or whatever it may be, this is from past experiences.)
I could just use this thing as a doorstop and throw in the hardware in a newer laptop, but since all I need it for is media streaming, should I bother?

You need python development libraries.

Not sure what the package would be called in OpenSuse but usually it would be something like "python-dev" or "python-devel"

I wish I could at this point

thanks this worked

Linux is for servers, don't use it for doing desktop tier shit

I remember when I first learned how to use command prompt too

If i close all incoming ports does it mean i'm unhackable?

yes