/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
monoprice.com/Product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567
apexhifi.com/Arete.htm
head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/
head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-dt990-250ohm-should-come-with-warning-label.853750/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It was like six years ago (wow it's been a long time) and the only reason it happened was because I had my jack connection on the floor (don't do this) like a retard
Ever since then I've made it a rule that I only plug my cable into something that is at least kneecap level. That and I only buy detachable cables now, the M50x didn't exist back then but if it did I could have just bought a replacement cable for like $20 and saved myself a lot of trouble. Plus I guess I was just rough with my headphones but I found anything with a fixed cable tended to fray at the driver connection in about a years time and then the cable either had to be replaced or the headphones had to be trashed.

Help /hpg/! Whats is this phone??

need some recommendations for a mid fi level universal iem

>Budget
flexible but prefer to stay around 800 aud
>Location
Australia
>Source
chord mojo or straight from a samsung s7
>Type of headphone
universal iem, ba drivers are preferred
>Comfort level
high
>Sound signature
preferably neutral, i dont mind slight bass or treble boost but would rather have a decent soundstage and flat responds than having nigger bass in my face
>Past headphones
cans are hd700 and vmoda m100
iems are se215 and jh angie

so far ive been looking at se535, noble 6, ath e70 and campfire nova but according to reviews ive read they all seems to fall short on some aspect, any recommendations are appreciated

Sony MDR7506

thnks user!

need some decent wireless earphones that don't look shit, budget of around 150 AUD

I've been looking at the Sony XBA-N1 and XBA-N3 IEMs. They're hybrids - both BA and dynamic drivers. Not a lot of impressions available for them due to how limited the release was. Apparently they're light, comfy, and easy to drive. N3's are more neutral than N1's from what I can figure. Well below your target price though, N1's ~270-300 AUD, N3's ~350-400 AUD on eBay.

Personally tempted by the N3's but the price is a bit beyond me I think.

t-t-tame desu

thanks for the recommendation user, i'll look more into them, tbqh im dropping money from my bike upgrading budget so figured i can sacrifice a part or two and buy something with more immediate return instead

AK T8iE sounded incredible out of a Mojo last time I tried them out, comfort is probably unmatched by anything else.

>Budget
£300
>Location
UK
>Source
Schiit stack. Likely selling them for something else within this year
>Type of headphone
Over-ear or on-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
High. I'll swap the pads if they're the only problem
>Sound signature
Nice sound + big soundstage
>Past headphones
HD 600

cheers user, did you demo the original model or the mk2?

mk2, apparently the xelento has better treble and sub bass, but I think the owner was just trying to upsell me.

Canadafag here. Going to cave on those massdrop sennheiser HD 6XX. What amp should I get? Objective2?

Depends what your budget is like, but I highly recommend the NFB-11: audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

If you can't afford one right now, you've got 6 months to save up until your HD6XX arrives anyway.

Reposting from last thread since it's at page 10:
I could, but should I? AFAIK the Fulla 2 is enough for ~300Ω, and I really don't plan on upgrading my headphones any time soon after that, except to try out HD600s maybe. What else is better about it?

And while this looks interesting, can you sell me on a $300 amp/dac when there's a very highly reviewed $100 one which most people consider fantastic and easily end-game (with a possible amp upgrade to the Magni which I personally probably won't need)?

K7XX OR HD6XX?????????????????????????

HD6XX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>And while this looks interesting, can you sell me on a $300 amp/dac

You'll get the most out of your HD6XX that way. The Fulla 2 will output only 40mW into the 6XX, as it's USB powered, and distorts at higher volumes. It'll sound okay on it at lower volumes, but it's still not ideal. I'd rather buy something nice and future-proof to save money in the long run, but that's just me. I'm not advocating that you spend thousands on an amp and dac, only a few hundred. My HD650 really sounds great on my NFB-11 compared to how it did with the sound card I was using before.

I forgot to mention, you will also want more power available for when you EQ. For example when you've got -8 dB set in your pre-amp, you're going to need to crank that volume knob on your amp quite a bit further.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

HD6xx, unless you've got HD600 or HD650 already, in which case k7xx.

I've been told before that for sane listening Fulla 2 should be just fine, and you'll only really need more volume if listening to really quiet source material (which I've never done yet, and am unlikely to do). I also don't think I'll be spending too much time messing around with EQ or whatever to be honest.

Also if it's just a question of power, the Fulla 2 can be kept as a DAC and a dedicated amp (Magni or Magni Uber, for instance) can be used to boost power, and I've seen this recommended quite a bit. This is either cheaper or the same as the NFB-11, and also allows incremental upgrading - letting me decide whether I actually need more power or not before spending money on that.

Would you still recommend the NFB over doing that? If so, why? I don't want to sound accusative or anything, I'm genuinely curious since I'm not too knowledgeable about these things.

There's a huge fan of the nfb-11 around here. I honestly think the device is still too untested, and generally recommend the fulla2 (upgradable to fulla2+magni2 stack). It costs $100 and it is extremely useful, even if you felt like spending money in nfb-11 or jotunheim or schiit uber stack or something else in the future, due to its form factor and the fact it's usb powered.

And to add to , there's also the FX Audio DAC-X6, great value / price but as it's wallwart powered and bigger, it's not as nifty as the Fulla 2.
In any event, I suggest against spending $300 on your first amp, and recommend making your first amp a small, usb-powered dac+amp, for maximum usefulness.

Speaking of the DAC X6, how does it compare to the Fulla? I honestly don't care about form factor as I'm not going to be carrying it around and I have a decent enough amount of room on my desk. Otherwise, they seem to be the same price (with the X6 actually being slightly cheaper here in the UK) and yet seems to have ever so slightly better specs.

Well the way I see it, it's about getting the most value to your dollar. But I can see from your point of view that something like the NFB-11 is quite a bit to be paying up-front when this is just your entry into the hobby. I still think it's a good idea, if you can afford it. If you feel more comfortable starting out with the Fulla 2, with a plan to upgrade if need be, go for it.

Some reviews mention the dac coloring the sound to be warmer than usual.

Yeah that's probably what I'll do. Thing is, I don't intend to be "entering this hobby" - I just want to upgrade from my entry-level stuff I've got right now (my main PC uses a soundblaster z card for crying out loud - yes I was young and stupid) and get a better experience, without ever spending too much additional money unless I need to replace something.

>the dac
I assume you mean the DAC-X6, right? I got confused for a moment because the fulla is also a dac.
Anyway since, like I said, I'm really unlikely to want very high volumes in the foreseeable future I'll just stick to my original choice of Fulla then, and get a magni if I ever need it.

Why every time i buy a headphone, he has ALWAYS a bad contact which results in making sound only in one side of headphone.
How could I avoid this ?

NewEgg has Senn HD471G for $40, but it has no store reviews. Anyone tried?

>Thing is, I don't intend to be "entering this hobby" - I just want to upgrade from my entry-level stuff I've got right now

Okay, well I hope you enjoy your 6XX, user. By the way, I recommend buying this over the DAC-X6 and Fulla 2: monoprice.com/Product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567

>wireless
>decent
Impossible, I've listened to wireless cans costing over $300 and they sound like shit even when compared to my HM5s

Do you mean it happens eventually to the headphones you buy?

It happens approximately after 6 months

It's the cable going bad. Buy headphones with a detachable cable so you can replace the cable when that happens. That way, you don't have to replace the entire headphone.

Maybe stop buying disposable headphones, and get some HD600.

Hm, this does look tempting. Some people say it's even better than a magni/modi stack, and that's while being at half the price of one.

I do have to pay $46 shipping, but amazingly it's still slightly cheaper than just buying Fulla 2 directly (assuming I don't get hit with surprise customs tax or anything like that). Is there a catch? Or is shiit actually overpriced despite all their talk of cutting unnecessary costs and avoiding audiophile markup?

If it's really that good then I'm definitely going to consider it, because with an external power source and a speaker output it's more versatile. Now I don't know if I'll notice any difference on my pair of $10 logitech speakers but at least it will provide placebo, at no extra cost.

Where to buy 53mm drivers? (with international shipping)

There's no denying this

Thank you ! I didn't know headphones with a detachable cable.

I would like.. but it is not my budget...

>preferably neutral, i dont mind slight bass or treble boost but would rather have a decent soundstage and flat responds than having nigger bass in my face

Campfire Lyra II. You want decent staging so you would want to look at a dynamic/BA hybrid.

>I would like.. but it is not my budget...
The HD6xx on massdrop are $200 right now. They're basically rebranded HD650.

This may still be above your budget, but ask yourself, how many headphones have you replaced already? It sounds like quite a few, maybe 4-5? Even if you were buying low-end $40 ones, you already probably spent around $200 or more. But you had horrible sound quality, and had to replace them often.

Get the HD6xx and you will get one of the best pairs of headphones that exist, and they will last you a lifetime.

>and they will last you a lifetime

*plastic snapping*

*new headband being bought and replaced by hand with minimal effort*

Also if you have such a huge head you can stretch them out to prevent snapping.

I will think about it... Thank you

poorfag here, i'm looking for some in-ears, i've been looking through guides and the wiki for the past hour or so but i'm in Greece and the options are extremely limited.
Of all the recommendations on the guides I found the mee audio m6p (former meelectronics?) for 28eu (~32$), should I go get them?
I've been buying shitty earbuds for years because I use them a lot and they all break like described after some time, but I've seen these recommended a lot and apparently durability is their selling point, are they worth the extra bucks? I'm not very demanding sound-wise, I'm currently listening on some samsung earbuds and I'm loving the sound, so I guess any decent in-ear will be good enough.

I'm looking to replace my recently broken Expensive Mistake(tm) with a sturdier, easy-to-repair headphone for my computer.
I've got about 150 Eypos, microphone's not a big deal now. What really matters is that they have good build quality and fairly insulated (possibly closed over-ear).
Use is mostly general with lots of movie/animoo watching and occasional vidjaegames.

dt 770

Fellow weeb unite. :3

Don't really use headphones these days (current top IEM >>> current top headphones). I have a pair of Genelec 8020 and Fostex HP-A4BL for desktop use.

How are these? R these gud?

The non-detatchable cable kind of turns me off, despite looking like good headphones.

Less than 100 HD6xx left available.

my K702s have been pretty abused by me since it became my beater headphones.

I need to revive it but I can't find any replacement earpads (and whatever the driver cover is called too). Finding a mini xlr cable should be a bit easier since I see some options already off amazon.

Do I have to resort to ebay or somewhere else shady

K7xx

Easy to do a detachable cable mod, otherwise there's the beyer custom studio

Hifiman edition S open/closed backed headphones for $130, a good pick up?
Could also grab a pair of HD598s for $100

Just looking for something new to listen to.

HD6XX are done

how many of you got one?

Just got LCD-2 and its supposed to be a "dark" headphone? Sounds way brighter than AKG K712

I already have the superior HD800.

>Budget
50-100 euro's max
>Location
Netherlands
>Source
Samson Meteor Mic, Samsung Galaxy S4, Generic Laptop
>Type of headphone
Stuck between over-ear ones and IEM's
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy, but I can compromise
>Sound signature
Warm-Neutral
>Past headphones
Turtle Beach trash, Generic usb gaming trash and the Superlux HD681 EVO in that order.

I was looking at the Audio Technica M40x. Was wondering whether they really worth their price tag.

I am looking that's portable for both home(vidya) and stuff when doing work in my college on my laptop. Willing to compromise on a few things here and there. Ideally a upgrade from the Superlux ones.

How's the treble and bass on these? I heard they were really bright. Does it not bother you at all?

I put in the order but then cancelled it cause they're ugly ad and I'm not poor. Gonna cop a HD650 instead and swap the driver's with my HD600.

M40x are good but i don't think they are warm. They will also require you to put HM5 pads on, the stock ones are godawful. You'll end up paying approx 120€.

HM5

plz

What's the deal with Multibit?
There's a Modi 2, a Modi 2 Uber and a Modi 2 MULTIBIT

It's like a pound of clamping force you fucking pussy, get over it.

do i need to get a new amp for my k7xx? using the fiio e10k

Without mods or EQ, the treble is indeed hot specifically in the 5-6 kHz region. Nothing an EQ couldn't solve though.

Bass is very clean and detailed, a big improvement from HD600/650 whose bass tends to sound one-note and bleed into the midband. If I want to nitpick, the bass lacks punch.

With the resonator mod recently released, it elevates the HD800 into another level since it solves both the treble and bass issues. The mod is a must have for HD800 users.

Multibit simply sounds different than the normal one, at least if we're talking about the Schiit stuff. Very easy to A/B if you have both units in hand.

>solves both the treble and bass issues
Does it really? From my research that would basically make them near-perfect, and most probably the best headphone in existence.

Out of curiosity, what amp/dac and stuff do you use?

>DACs make a difference in sound quality

>Budget
$200
>Location
USA
>Source
Samsung S7 phone
>Type of headphone
Fully wireless earbuds
>Comfort level
As comfy as possible
>Past headphones
Senhizer Momentums, one of the best pair of headphones I've ever used

I'm looking for just an every day use pair. Currently looking at Sol Republic air amps. Might pull the trigger on those if i don't find anything else. I don't want to spend to much, becuase knowing myself there's a good chance I might loose them.

Not sure it's the best headphone ever but I'd venture the HD800 is hard to beat at its current $900-ish price. It's lightweight and comfortable to wear as well, the suede material of the earpad and earband don't heat up at all with prolonged use.

I have Apex Arete solid-state as amp and Schiit Modi Multibit as DAC.

apexhifi.com/Arete.htm

Call the electric company. You have issues with your grounding.

>Fully wireless earbuds
don't

HD600

What's wrong with wireless IEMs?

There's some info on that shit in this:
head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/

Very well received, supposedly sounds awesome, but measurements say it should sound the same. Magic stuff.

I'm slightly interested, but advice is to wait and see after n years, rather than try it yourself. If you need further arguments against buying, consider it adds latency due to the n-tap filter it implements. A few milliseconds do not matter, but if you play games, it's easy to be uncomfortable with the idea.

What emotion is this post meant to convey?

stop fucking shilling the HD600

What is the second best headphone in the world behind the HD600 and why are Beyerdynamic and AKG headphones treble cannons with shitty build quality?

Rule 11- Advertising (all forms) is not welcome

>people with different opinions than me must be paid shills
Did you forget your meds?

HD600 is paid Sennshilling.

>Multibit simply sounds different than the normal one
I see you got a defective unit.

HD558 worth at 90$ amazon or can I get it elsewhere for cheaper?

I haven't seen them cheaper elsewhere but it doesn't hurt to look. They're a fantastic value at $90.

SHP9500 > M40x + HM5 > HD558.

Sound is subjective. The dt990 can be had for like $120 on ebay. Cheapest you'll see a hd600 is like 240 on amazon. I love my dt990s and they are very good for the price.
After hearing the fostex THX wooden $400 headphones though I would do anything to have them I have never heard anything like that before. I'm trying to find a headphone I can afford that sounds similar. They truly and completely blew me away.

You've got that backwards m8.

No

>wooden headphones
you can't make this shit up
Are they powered by sunlight too?

head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-dt990-250ohm-should-come-with-warning-label.853750/ enjoy your hearing loss.

>his headphone is not powered by nuclear energy

We all know you posted that thread, tard.