/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Intentionally Not anime Edition.

Old thread Google is your friend, you are our bitch.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-3/general/samsung-galaxy-note-3-sticky-roll-t3237249
techmeme.com/events
developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4254053/MicroXP_v0.82_-_eXPerience
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MOODS
DELET!

Trying to get Pokémon GO on my Samsung Galaxy S3, running Android 4.4.2.
It crashes on the Niantic logo screen.
Older versions get a bit further, to the log in, but won't authenticate.

Is my only option root and install a more recent OS?

Problem is Pokemon go wont run at all on custom OS's, unless they've found some sort of work around. So if you can't do it on stock, you can't do it at all.

Is there some kind of cheap programmable button that I can stick to my wall and have it so when it is pressed it uses my home wifi to send a HTTP GET request to a specific server?

Amazon's dash button would be a good option but can it be reprogrammed? I know they sell a programmable one but it's more expensive.

I have a Ryzen 1700X and a GTX 1080. Can my rig handle games at 4k? I'm thinking about buying a 4K monitor.

Two wires.

I want to learn programming using Python. I heard that Windows is pretty bad for it. Why do so many developers prefer Unix over Windows?

How is it possible that two compressors can give, for the same picture, the same mean square error but a different ratio of compression?

Is it possible to take a screensot of the pictures as appear on my moitor?

PrtScn

But if I'm got a resolution despite my monitor native then it will not appear as does on screen??

> can it be reprogrammed?
It sends requests to Amazon. Proxy and divert them to your web app and do whatever you want with them.

It feels like you're using 80% of the words you should be, and getting across 40% of the meaning.

is there a siggraph stream?

Because unix inspired operating systems were largely developed for developers. There was a commercial element in regards to servers but windows was fully consumer or bust, for a while. Linux and BSD apis are largely influenced by the original unix wake of development in and around the 80s in which is was a bunch of neckbeards developing for each other. They put a lot of care in their development while thinking about people from other companies who would be making changes based on their stuff. These days most commercial development doesn't treat future developers as a relevant stackeholder. Though there were certainly some companies ran like that back then. So really it is an accident of history and where the more community minded developers ended up congregating.

Hello people does anyone know if it is still possible or ever was to root android 5.0+ without pc last time i rooted was with kingroot on 4.4.4 kit kat galaxy s4 now im 5.0 note3

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-3/general/samsung-galaxy-note-3-sticky-roll-t3237249

I'm looking for a calendar for tech conferences and events worldwide.
Is this the best one? What do you use?
techmeme.com/events

I have some really stupid questions but I really want to understand the fundamentals before going too far:
When I install programming languages like Rust and Python on my PC, what exactly am I installing?
How come I can run an .exe file created by Rust on a computer that does not have Rust installed but cannot run Python scripts on a computer that doesn't have Python installed?...

Rust is a compiled language, your code gets translated to machine code that can be run on all machines that support the architecture you compiled for, python is interpreted language, needs python interpreter aka the install for running

I'm learning to program with Java at the same time I'm using (and learning) GNU/Linux. I'm using Eclipse as IDE but what I really wanted was to use Emacs + Tmux.

is it worth to learn Emacs and use it as some kind of Java IDE (I plan to learn C++ and Python in the near future) or Eclipse is good enough?

laptop came with retail windows / ms office 2016 but i can't seem to crack ms office, tried both KMSPico and Office Toolkit

any suggestions or pointers on what to do?

Because Office is already active, numbnuts.

When you run a script for a sandwich- language like python, the interperater translates the programing language into machine code. When rust makes an exe it turns the programing language into an exe and saves it so you can run it later.

>sandwich- language
What does that mean?

i still get this pop up though

Just give them money already.

im also a noob but i think eclipse is good enough

How accurate are phone fingerprint scanners against false positives? Like can any random person just swipe their finger and get a reasonably decent chance of the phone going "fuck it, close enough"? I know there are tricks to beat them, especially if you have access to a copy of the guy's fingerprint, but curious how well they work when used exactly as intended.

What is correct way to backup personal data to cloud?

Recommend me a self-contained program for verifying MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 checksums

cfv

Hi, I am looking for a good hash function to encrypt my data with. Which one should I use?

That's not how you say that.

>hash function to encrypt my data
That's not what that does.

What do you mean user?

How so?

md5sum
sha1sum
sha224sum/sha256sum/sha384sum/sha512sum

Hashing just creates a short checksum number. It's not about encryption

why is this considered ok? do "people" still think sluggish web apps are the end-all and be-all?

>It's not about encryption
But this does not make any sense user, are you claiming that cryptographic hash functions do not behave similarly to a random oracle?

GTFO

What? Why are you shitposting user?

Hey is ebay affected by America's black friday thingy? Do prices typically drop nearing christmas?
I know people list there own prices but yeah. Also does anyone know why theres such a big import tax from america now?(Is this Trumps doing)

J A V A S C R I P T

You do not need an internet connection. Just start writing notes to yourself.

I am unsure how this is relevant to my question about hash functions?

from /pcbg/
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p.

English please.

A hash takes a bigass file and reduces it to a like a 20 digit number, that you can use to verify the original file. You're not encrypting anything. You lose the original information.

If they're trying to jew you. (microsoft office is going to be turning or has turned into a subscription/rental service) Just crack the software.

>You're not encrypting anything
You are not encrypting the input, but as long as it is a cryptographic hash function with properties similar to a random oracle it should behave just like stream ciphers.

with no inverse

A random oracle is not supposed to be reversible user.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that if I'm running a resolution less than my monitor's native resolution, then the picture saved by print screen will not actually be a direct representation of the (upscaled) picture that I see on my screen.

Can anybody tell me how the fuck this is possible?
Both FreeBSD and Windows are on separate disks, but I had to set FreeBSD to the same disk as Windows in order to boot. Everything works, weirdly enough. Grub gives an "Invalid Signature" error when trying to boot FreeBSD, but it still boots fine.

You're overthinking it.

Is 2gb of memory on an adroid if all I do is call and text?

But the entire point is that I want to compare upscaling methods when I set my desktop resolution to a game's native res (and let my GPU handle the scaling) or when I leave it as is and let the game's software methods upscale it. Hard to do so when I can't take an accurate screenshot of one of these cases.

What is it with everybody dropping words from their sentences all of a sudden? Worried about wearing out your keyboards?

You can't do it without a capture card.

A)Yes
B)Ram really isn't a good indicator of how powerful your phone is

Can I run the WinToHDD from an XP machine to install Windows 7 to a partition? The site says 'host OS' must be Vista or later but I don't know if that means the OS getting changed.

If not, can anyone think of a way to install from a Win7 iso without use optical or USB?

Thanks.

Whatever your GPU outputs (i.e. your current resolution) will be the what shows up in the printscreen. Unless your monitor itself is doing the upconverting (highly unlikely, unless it's some bullshit feature trying to make 1080p video look like 4k), then you're inventing a problem that doesn't exist.

Why does everyone on here say you need 4gb or more for Android? Is that just a meme?

I have a weird ass setup. I'm dual booting Windows and Hackintosh, and my intention is to use Parallels with that installation of Windows.

A while ago I managed this without trouble. I could add my secondary hard drive and do whatever the fuck I pleased.

Now however, the secondary hard drive only works on the virtual machine and when I restart it seems there's a conflict between the real hardware drivers and parallels'. My secondary hard drive ain't being detected for shit and it's throwing out an error 31 on the device manager. Only way that I could fix it was by uninstalling Parallels tools.

The only version of Windows in which I managed not to have this issue (I tried 7, 8.1 and 10) is Windows 7 so far, but I get really crappy performance for some reason and everytime I open the damn virtual machine it detects the drive as new and prompts for a restart, which is an annoyance, not gonna lie.

Any clues?

how do you see detailed memory usage stats in miui 8? on the open apps thing i just see "2GB of 4GB available" (with nothing running) but apparently there is a separate screen that says the memory usage for android OS, android system and system UI

But I don't want to see my current resolution, I want to see the resolution displayed on my monitor.

Before this thread I didn't mind anime fags. But this cryptoshitposter? I'm pretty salty. I am trying to understand what they were thinking when they decided to post this shit and I just can't convince myself that they are reasonable.

Yes. There's some heavy gaming and shit that pushes the limits of phone hardware. But most of that shit got more or less perfected a few years ago. There's a big hype train created by manufactures now to keep selling new shit. For call/text/browsing damn near anything will work.

>current resolution,
>resolution displayed on my monitor.
ergheregerhergehhheheh!!!

What is wrong with my posts user?

i just had some ad pop up on my computer, something about a painter program offer. i panicked and closed it right away before reading what it actually was. i'm assuming this happened because i have corel painter installed, but is there any way to find out what exactly triggered it?

i did a scan with malwarebytes and didn't find anything.
there were two scheduled tasks related to corel painter which i now have disabled. anything else i could do?
i feel dirty now, i don't want adware on my machine.

>windows
>non-free programs
>antiviruses
Format and install Guix.

Again, your monitor is probably not fucking with the resolution that is being pumped out your hdmi cable. That make sense? If it is, then literally the only way you could "capture" that is by pointing a camera at your screen.

just let the gpu upscale it. what the fuck kind of game are you playing anyway that has custom upscaling built in. your display's upscaling won't be better than the gpu or if you have some fancy upscaling tv you should put it in "game mode" anyway so you don't get input lag

Yeah, I'm getting the strong impression that at least a couple post chains here today are bait. But there's always the chance they genuinely are retarded. I hate this thread sometimes.

Is it really worth it to get a rx580 8gb over the gtx1070 8gb? I mean considering the difference in power usage. Overall i'll be saving with a gtx1070 and i'll be gaining better performance

Please see Considering the refusal to reply to my post I get the feeling that I am dealing with shitposters and even maybe a samefag.

Ah I was worried since I just bought the moto g5 plus with 32gb of storage and 2gb of memory. I've got more than enough for what I want to do on my phone. The only game I play on it is hearthstone and that ran fine on my Galaxy S5.

How much does it cost to run my PC for most of the day on idle and then sleep it at night when I go to bed?

36 pence.

Got some PWM fans that wont shut the fuck up.

If I have a PWM fan plugged into my motherboard header, how do I undervolt it? Telling it to spin at 0% just makes it spin at 500rpm, I need it to go lower.

is leaving your pc on better than turning it off

Is it legal to sing on a public bus?

Just use sleep mode I would. Most of the benefits without the extra energy usage, and also the noise and heat is unpleasant if your PC is in your bedroom as mine is.

whats the goto format for storing/archiving images while still keeping quality, small loss in quality is acceptable
ive got some few thousand jpg's id want to size down en masse

Your components get massively stressed with the power going through them when you power up, so dont power up/down often.

I should add they dont get that massively stressed but it's enough to take a tiny bit of their life span away. You could argue components would last longer if left on than turned off every day because of this.

I haven't done anything to customise Sup Forums since they introduced the new features however many years ago that was. What should I be using?

leave it on during the day, at least if you stay at home and you're using it, and then you can use sleep mode at night. i wouldn't turn it on and off many times a day, mainly for convenience

Where do you get your windows VM images?
Do you use this
developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
Or do you use stripped down versions like
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4254053/MicroXP_v0.82_-_eXPerience

I'm running win7 32 bit. If I upgrade to win8 (or win7) 64bit can I still keep my files?

Cool beans thanks.

What do you mean exactly? You can tar-gz them all but I doubt that you will save much space.

no, you can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit, you need to do a fresh install. do a backup

This hasn't really been a problem in the last several years. Mostly falls under the heading of outdated advice.

Fuuuuck

Thanks user.

Remember to install Guix after you format.