Laptops

I need a laptop for college and I've decided to purchase a gaming laptop. Here's the two laptops I have in mind.

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498817726&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=predator helios 300&dpPl=1&dpID=41v2oytxs9L&ref=plSrch

Asus laptop
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N9QKYZ9/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498817740&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=asus gaming laptop&dpPl=1&dpID=41RQViYVZQL&ref=plSrch

Which one do you think will have better build quality? Better parts and performance? Should I choose the Asus because it's a more reliable company even though the graphics card is 3gb vs the 6gb in the Acer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5lQB7F8mMW0
youtube.com/watch?v=00Bi_iT1zzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OpyTlGIW_H8
youtube.com/watch?v=6tpe_6ILN5k
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234538
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes
it doesnt matter how much vram you have when youre bottnecked by thermals anyway

Gaming laptops are always a waste of money and make you look like a man child.

I'll be traveling a lot too and I won't be able to use my gaming PC. I'm looking into purchasing a laptop cooling pad in hopes of lowering the temps

Asus and Acer are both low quality pieces of shit in general. Check notebookcheck, their reviews are usually pretty on point.
Also consider Schenker

You're a fucking idiot.

Sage

Maybe instead of gayming, choose something compact and quiet that you could actually use in class? Also what is battery life.

honestly, neither of those is the best for the money here, particularly in build quality.
My recommendation?
The Dell Inspiron 7000 Gaming.
youtube.com/watch?v=5lQB7F8mMW0
youtube.com/watch?v=00Bi_iT1zzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OpyTlGIW_H8

BTW, I do own one, so there's your disclaimer.

>a laptop for college
>bigger than 14'
believe me you wont be hauling that around
if you are, you will be "that guy"
you will get better performance and better portability if you get a mitx desktop and a 200€ used latitude or dankpap

>t. college student

I won't be using it in class mostly. I'll be away from home and travelling around quite often so I need something portable

I'm not too concerned with battery life

I'll definitely check out Dell even though they're not that popular

>even though they're not that popular
You must lead a hard life trying to maintain bubble color.

Neither of course.
Buy some custom built Sager/Eurocom/Clevo laptop and ascend to a new level.

Did you just say dell isn't popular? As large as Asus and Acer combined

They're not popular in terms of gaming laptop. I should've been more specific. Also, Asus and Acer have a better reputation for parts, costumer service, and lifespan of their laptops.

>Clevo
Gl finding a replacement battery for it after 2 years.

t. Clevo owner

Looking at some clevo laptops rn with gtx 1060 and they're extremely cheap

What's the build quality like and did you have any other problems with your laptop?

Trust us. That Dell is amazing for the price and you can option it out like the Acer and Asus. But it's better built and doesn't look particularly gamer-y. You could pass for a Normie with that thing but still game pretty hard.

Stop being a manchild.

Like I mentioned earlier. I won't be using it outside my house. I don't use my laptop in class. I'm going to be away from home for a while and constantly moving.

Battery life and bulkiness is not a huge concern

I have used dells gaming lineup, and I have to say that they are a pleasure. Generally thin profile compared to competitors. Friend of mine had his msi laptop fail ( logic board) and he was given a dell 15 7000 and we were blown away. He wanted to sell and buy that.

Easy to do
t. Clevo owner for 4 years

Get your shit together man, a laptop is very useful in some classroom settings. I have been an EE major for 3 years and I bring my laptop everywhere in case I need to work on a program or draw up something in AutoCAD. Go online and check out some of dells laptops. If you wanna get serious, get a multi use laptop. The 10 lb laptops are the ricers of the computer industry. If you are in college then you must be fairly poor, dell is the best value compared to the brands you mentioned. And I would argue that it also has better build quality.

haven't said anything about it havinig great battery life or not being bulky, though those are worth mentioning. It really is THE best gaming laptop for the price.
If you want to waste money on something else, go right ahead, but there's something to be said for build quality and reliability. Dell is like the Toyota of the PC world, and the Inspiron 7000 Gaming is like a new Toyota 86..

Cheaper to buy a new laptop than a battery replacement.
t. Clevo owner for 6 years

Here I agree more or less. But for me at least is easy to find one. The seller I buy from can bring anything.

I had problems with fan noise on idle but fixed it with prema bios. Doesn't mean it'll be the same for never models.
Nothing to complain about build quality and I like the fact that it's just solid black, hiding my power level.

>buy 500€ HP laptop
>A10 9600p, R7m 440
>play less demanding games on it, I have a powerful PC at home anyway
>have fun
Gaymen laptops suck

The A10 9600P is a great APU.

It really is
Rarely need to use the R7m 440, as the integrated graphics are plenty (runs tropico 4 on highest settings just fine for example)
Also gives nice battery life while playing games on the go, easily lasts 3 hours of gaming (instead of like 1.5 hours with the dedicated GPU)
Only more demanding titles require the use of the dedicated GPU
CPU power is also fine, never ran into any issues, keeps 2.4Ghz on all cores under full load and stays at about 78C
The only problems are the small 40Wh battery, the locked down BIOS (like almost all laptops have) and the 768p TN panel
Overall I am happy with my machine

>gaming
>laptop
Choose one.

Don't buy a gaming laptop, you'll never want to take it to class because of the size and weight, and the fact that you'll look autistic.

Not OP, but weight and size aren't really an issue for me desu
I just put in in a laptop bag with the charger, wireless mouse, and a bunch of other stuff
And as long as its under 10kg weight is no issue
Still don't recommend gaming laptops, battery life of them is terrible, are a pain to disassemble and they run hotter than the surface of the sun
And performance is going to suck anyway

Did you not have to carry books in school? I did and having a heavy laptop pissed me off.

>Still don't recommend gaming laptops, battery life of them is terrible, are a pain to disassemble and they run hotter than the surface of the sun
This is why Sup Forums recommends the Dell Inspiron 7000 Gaming (7567)
It has fantastic battery life thanks to a large battery, it takes one screw to disassemble having been BUILT to be upgraded, and doesn't overheat. You can't get it to throttle.

I saw video about this once. It says that the best thing you can do is buy both a cheap Chromebook and a gaming desktop. You are then able to carry a lightweight laptop around campus and use it for school and come back to your dorm and have something that's high-powered.

Today's gaming laptops are a joke. They are heavy, overheat easily, and even though the specs seem like heaven they usually don't perform as they are supposed to. Plus they are expensive af.

Not to mention Chromebook plus desktop setup usually even ends up being cheaper than a gaming laptop.

I think that this is a much better option and investment.

> I need a laptop for college and I've decided to purchase a gaming laptop

saged & reported

And as to weight, the Dell Inspiron 7567 id just 2.62 kg (5.78 lbs)

>I saw video about this once.
That doesn't work anymore. The Dell Inspiron 7000 Gaming exists.
It's light, doesn't overheat at all, is built to be upgraded (and therefore easy to disassemble), cheap, well built, and well specced.

You're thinking of the gaming laptops that cost over $2k. We're talking $1.2K tops here.

Yeah that's actually not too bad, that's barely a gaming laptop though because it has a 1050Ti. That's a good thing though, if you buy a laptop trying to play high-end games, you're going to compromise the design and functionality of a laptop a lot. The 1050 is really about as good as you should put into a laptop, higher than that requires so much cooling that it's not enjoyable to use.

Desktops are still better though

granted, but they aren't portable and can't be carried to class.
A good laptop is pretty much mandatory for college these days.

I used a macbook air when in school and had a gayman desktop for home.

>apple
So you overpaid for absolutely everything so you could look cool in front of classmates.
Good to know you're a retarded shill.
Next opinion please.

All laptop batteries are made using generic 18650. If you are not a tech illiterate (you clearly are) you can restore your battery yourself. There is no need to replace entire battery if it's just cells that are worn out. Even if you don't have a clue how to do this you can probably find place that will do it for you cheap.
Not that I'm trying to defend Clevos, all gayming laptops are shit for clueless children, like you.

/Thinkpad
> No results
wow I'm amazed Sup Forums

nah, my chinkpad had died and I decided to finally try an Apple product for the first time. I sold it a year or so ago and got almost $500 for it which was half what I had paid for it in 2013.

>Gamimg
>laptop
Choose one and only one

Laptops like those are the exception
Most gaming laptops really suck

I made a mistake of buying a gaming laptop when I was younger, they are a waste of money especially for college stuff, buy something light that has a shitton of battery life, your back will be thankful also

Guys im having a similar issue choosing laptops for Video and photo editing. Ive got my eyes set on the Dell xps 15 with the gtx 1050 however its pricey af. any better recommendations?

we are all manchild here stop trying too hard

if you're willing to sacrifice build quality then this is alright

youtube.com/watch?v=6tpe_6ILN5k

I don't want to make another thread but I'm looking for a college laptop and the most intensive thing I'll probably be forced to use is like visual studio or unity stuff.

Is there any cheap suggestions(under 500) that will work out

Gaming laptops are not really great. Buy a decent buisness laptop, they are light have a good battery and are light. You dont want to carry a 3-4 kg laptop all day

Get something cheaper
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234538

see: