/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

If you want help:
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?

CPUs:
>G4560 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - if you can't afford better or specifically need 8 threads but not a very powerful CPU
>R5 1500x - Buy the 1600 instead
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; Get a 1600x if you don't OC
>i7 7700k - only for 144hz
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60hz at high, running most maxed older games at 144+hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@60hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; Go for the R X580 if you can
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen benefits from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with exceptionally good stock coolers. (with the exception of the 1600X) consider using them over any sub 35USD cooler.

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-edition-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-105-zt.html
amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYMVAVM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GeForce-GDDR5-Memory-Express-Black/B01MEHGRMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498834589&sr=1-2&keywords=GTX 1050 Ti
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>7700k

7700k only for 144hz is a pretty good advice desu

Yes it is. Even then a lot of users go for a 1600 or 1700 still because they might benefit from more cores better, but the 7700k still bests anything at high framerate and also some productivity software like Photoshop and such (anything that doesn't scale well from threads)

Is there a site that tells you the best bang for the buck for computer parts? I have a set budget.

It's entirely dependent on your specific usage so no website will tell you that.

Reminder to report all Intel shills. These threads will continue misleading inexperienced builders until you do.

Only a shill would call someone else a shill, you shill.

Need mining machine. Should I just go for ryzen 1700 and rx580

frig off

>Need mining machine.
What for
>Ryzen 1700
For a GPU mining machine?
Please don't get yourself into mining without all the enormous knowledge it requires to make gains because you're gonna end up losing a lot of money just like all the people that drove on the mining craze

>cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
AMD FAGS BTFO

Is it safe to increase core voltage % on MSI afterburner?

>2017
>signle thread is relevant

Use 7700K instead

is a G4560 with no GPU acceptable for a budget Linux build?

Why Linux specifically?

good point I guess it doesn't matter

Then yeah, g4560 for budget builds is obviously great.

Do online prices typically drop near the end of the year? Is it wise to buy parts bit by bit over the next few months(take in mind that I won't be able to test them till my parts are all together as my ram on my old computers bust). Or just buy them all at once?

The Intel i7-7700K is already fantastic value. Don't delay, buy today!

>build a ryzen pc with c6h
>full of problems
thanks amd

Can anyone explain to me why the fuck isn't my Ryzen posting?

I did my setup twice so I am sure everything is plugged in.
RAM is compatible.
What the fuck is wrong?

Did you plug the HDMI cable into the motherboard, or the GPU?
Ryzen doesn't have an iGPU so the motherboard ports are worthless.

Yes.
HDMI cable to my 290x.

are all the fans spinning?
According to the guides, Ryzen takes forever to actually make its first post because the motherboard checks everything like 30 times before allowing itself to post.

It turns on but it doesn't post?

>Can anyone explain to me why the fuck isn't my Ryzen posting?
It's not posting because you're full of shit. Corelettes pretending to have a faulty amd CPU isn't new shill.

Fans spin on. Then spins off. Caught in a boot loop. No post.

you're taking the shitposting to a next-level, shill-kun

let it go through this for a while. The first post takes a while with Ryzen

Timestamp and pics, or you're full of jewtel shit.

Try leaving the bare minimum for it to post so only 1 RAM stick, no additional PCIe cards and all, unplug sata cables too
Try waiting 10 - 15 minutes if you haven't already, let it enter the boot loop and go take a shower

Typical AMD. Intel chips don't have these issues. Is it too late to return it?

>The first post takes a while with Ryzen
What?

Fuck off retard

You can suck my dick user.

Will try.

If I remove all additional PCIe card how will i know it posted. Will try with 1 RAM.
No sata cable aside from SSD. Will try remove it.

For what? No i5 memes please.

>If I remove all additional PCIe card how will i know it posted
Additional beyond the GPU i meant

A 7700K, the best gaming CPU ever made. Why would you buy anything else?

Nevermind. False alarm my GPU wasn't slotted properly. Now it posts, and I even tried a few games. My AMD processor is running everything silky smooth without stutter.

shitposters out please

I'm interested in an external usb HDD. What brands are generally the most reliable?

Alright guys. It posted. Turns out I had to let it sit for ~5ish minutes of boot looping. No one warned me it would take that long so I kept turning it off after the fans spin down.

It's not supposed to take that long to boot, i suggest you update bios

That's good user.

Will do. Gotta install my OS and get this up and running first.

why do you all never talk about thermal paste here? which one is better for ryzen? which method?

That's what I'm using at the moment and it's pretty good.

semen and raw

Just use mayonnaise, premium brand thermal paste is a scam.

Line method directly above the die would be best.

How long do people think I'll have to wait for AMD to match the performance of the 7700K? I want to support the underdog and all, but they're SO far behind the performance of the 7700K that I'm almost considering buying *spits* Intel.

Advice?

Checked.
>No one warned me it would take that long so I kept turning it off after the fans spin down.
I think there were at least 2 posters who mentioned over the past few days. Maybe vendor specific what's your motherboard user?

AMD brand thermal paste

Asrock. I never noticed it being mentioned. Really scared me.

>Advice?
stop being a faggot

>which one is better for ryzen?
Thermal paste helps thermal conductivity, it has no relation whatsoever to brand
I could slap thermal paste on my hard drives and stick heatsinks to it and the heat they produce would be better dissipated
There is very little difference between cheapo thermal paste and $10 thermal paste tube, so just get a $4 stick or such and you're good to go. Peanut or line method are the best because if you spread the paste yourself you're gonna create air bubbles in there, whereas letting it spread itself when you're sticking the heatsink in there will make it spread normally

>OP contains a mention of 7700k
>Autism and falseflagging in the thread
Really makes you think

Who is jooing who?

please don't check numbers outside of Sup Forums

Don't pretend you're not a part of it. And your threads are a fuckton much worse than those with the 7700k considering all the shilling you do, faggot

should I buy this

overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-edition-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-105-zt.html

>Asrock
I believe those podters had MSI, and others in thread strongly recommended ASRock.

>300 Good boy points
>390 fucking freedom bucks
>1060
No

Prices are quite a lot up thanks to miners but sure, it's a decent card

>please don't check numbers outside of Sup Forums
Get fucked faggot

lurk more newfag

I own windows 10 on my laptop and desktop but have no disk. If/when I get my ssd for desktop and want to put windows 10 on it. Can I move Windows on to it?

Let us know if it takes that long to post next time you boot.

Help! Newfag here
What is a good pc i can build for $700?

USB boot loader.

It's not recommended at all because the massively different drivers for your laptop can and will cause crashes if running on a desktop

>lurk more newfag
>moar

It doesn't. I had to restart my PC.

What do you want to do on your PC?

Just buy an Intel 7700K, Z270 motherboard and whatever else you can afford. The iGPU on the 7700K is more powerful than any AMD graphics card anyway.

> Can I move Windows on to it?
Sure. I suggest using something like Acronis True Image if you get an M.2 SSD and will have to migrate to GPT without data loss, it can do that.

Pentium G4560 (~$70)
H110 mATX motherboard (~$50)
2x8GB DDR4-2133 RAM (~$90)
240GB SATA3 SSD (~$90)
1TB 7200rpm HDD (~$50)
GTX 1050 Ti (~$150)
mATX paneled case (~$50)
450W 80+ Bronze semi-modular PSU (~$50)
That's $100 left over for whatever you want to upgrade/snort coke off of

What current parts do you have if any? Monitors, keyboard, PSU, ram, hard drives etc.

>GTX 1050 Ti (~$150)
Hehehehehe

Was gonna get an H7 to cool my 1600 but apparently they're gonna take a while to ship out AM4 brackets.
How much better is a Noctua U12s? Enough to justify the price difference?

FUCK YOU

What changed? I got a Niggabyte 1050Ti last week for $165.

At least 2GB cards are still available.

No. Unless you are doing some insane overclocking, you will never need a Noctua U12.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYMVAVM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's how much I paid for a GTX 1060 6gb a few months ago when it was on sale.

Gonna OC to 4.0, I was just wanting something as quiet as possible. What do you recommend?

You'll need a beefy cooler for an AMD chip even at stock. They use a ton of power.

I bought mine from a mom and pop store that had 1050 Tis, 1060s and 480s in stock. No 570 or 580s though, they never were able to get them in stock.

How are current RAM and CPU prices? Will they get any better or worse in a month?

What's peanut method? Having trouble with Google
I'm planning to get a sata
price. I don't care much about the speed really just wanna see what all the hubbubs about.
I don't have a verification key. That's why I'm asking. Will authentification be an issue?

ASUS Dual are shit, though. I have a RX480 one, it went on sale (I wonder why) and sometimes after 3+ hours in Forza it does a colorful hang.

>No 570 or 580s though, they never were able to get them in stock.
Thanks for fueling my anger.

This is the worst time in a while to build a new PC, isn't it?

Good CPUs are dirt cheap, RAM is kinda pricey.

proofs

Worse. Retailers won't go down unless nobody buys ram. In their eyes the consumer has already accepted the prices, and they will not likely get lower.

yeah

>What's peanut method?
Literally just put a small blop of paste in the middle, size of a peanut / slightly bigger than a pea
>Will authentification be an issue?
Most likely since i'm fairly sure windows license is attached to hardware, but cracking it is easy

lads, what you think

amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GeForce-GDDR5-Memory-Express-Black/B01MEHGRMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498834589&sr=1-2&keywords=GTX 1050 Ti