Do you own a fan controller?

Do you own a fan controller?

Other urls found in this thread:

thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002702
amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0R05WE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, my temps are fine with my fans all at idle.

yes, I bet mine is the same as yours except with different LCD

looks queer

I've considered it recently. I want to be able to switch between different fan profiles when I gpu mine and when I normally use my computer and the tools for my msi board are kinda janky for doing that.

No I just use a couple splitters and let the bios handle it.

Where did you bought these splitters?

amazon, look up pwm splitter or 4 pin fan splitter. Just make sure you don't exceed th3e amperage rating for your fan header(s)

Looks retarded and useless, thought about it once but didn't go with it.

Yeah, but it's an internal one which I built, not something I bought. It connects via USB and is software-controlled, so I can define fan curves and shit for every fan in my system and control them just the way I want.

My friend does, because his wife complains it's too noisy to sleep.

No, I have a motherboard with software-controlled PWM and wrote a script to manage my fans.
The best part is it can go down all the way to 0% which means ALL the fans in my computer stay idle 95% of the time. The average time on time for the cpu fan is 45min/day and less than five min/day for all the others.
God I do love the silence.

If I exceed the amperage rating, would something like this thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002702 resolve the problem?

Nice user, I was going to do something similar but ended up with a motherboard that could do it for me.
Would be nice to have it running on external hardware tho, but oh well.
Did you publish the code/schematics/etc for your controller somewhere? It should be easy to do from scratch, but even easier you have can base yourself on existing work.

It should in theory, yes. I've tried using something similar on my old Z87 Asus board and while fan control always worked fine with a fan plugged in directly to a 4-pin header it was all out of whack with one of those things. The idea is to basically supply 12V straight from the PSU while splitting the PWM signal to all connected fans, which should work just fine. For whatever reason it didn't work for me, no idea why.

Would it be difficult to build your own DIY fan controller? I guess it could be done with a microcontroller, a couple of temperature sensors and some code. But the problem would be how to interface it with the computer.

why not motherboard pwm
and then linux fancontrol
i have mine configured to be off below a certain temp which is most of the time

supposedly the define r5 built in one blows up or someshit, but it's fine for me.

My laptop has one built in!

I didn't, I actually fucked up and lost the firmware source when a (almost new) SSD just bit the bullet and died spontaneously, though I was able to read the binary from the MCU and make a backup of that at least. I got lucky it was flashed with a working, bug-free version. I've been meaning to rewrite it but never got around to doing it.

The PC control application honestly ended up an overengineered mess, though it's very configurable and has been entirely stable for like 1.5 years, so at least there's that. It's kind of inelegant too since I didn't want anything to do with the whole mess of correctly reading temps from a huge variety of components in a system (or supporting new shit if I upgrade) so I just read it from the json OpenHardwareMonitor provides.

As for the schematic, it's all very basic. I used a TI Launchpad board which I had around and it just generates PWM for the fans. Each channel is buffered/level shifted with a single transistor, that's it. It doesn't do actual voltage control, just provides a PWM signal for PWM fans.

Why use one when the motherboard have voltage and PWM control?

I'm not autistic so no.

You don't really need to interface it with the computer. Just set it up once with something like a TTL-serial to USB adapter.

Just a voltage regulating one shouldn't be hard right? That's just some variable resistors and connectors for the fans.
Screw the temperature sensors, when just browsing turn them down so you don't hear them, when doing something more heavy turn them up,

Oh you even made a GUI, how fancy. I just used a command line tool to set mix and max temperatures and scale it linearly, works for me.
By the way, what theme is that?

>paying for hardware that does the job of free software

I recently bought that exact same one. It's hidden behind the door of my R5. I could care less about the gayming look but I wanted something to have manual control. It annoys me hearing the fans ramp up and down all the time.

Just set it to high when doing intensive stuff or low/off otherwise.

A motherboard? Yes I do.

You probably wont unless you're trying to run the whole case off one header. My 200mm fan is .3A max and my headers are rated for 1A each. Check your fan(s) and mobo specifications.

Here's my setup, no controller needed, maintains pos pressure and is pretty quiet. I keep the side an at 100 to cool my 390x and keep it running passive except for gaming. case fans are easier to change than gpu fans.
>inb4 xfx

no, too much autism

Yeah, as I've said it's overengineered. I wanted custom curves though, having this lets me basically customize fan profiles based on load (i.e. quiet with madVR video but faster in games). That's just the default WinForms theme, nothing special.

Hell yeah, I bought it just for the rice

Fan control, it cant get any more autistic.
Your mobo should come with one. Set it up once and forget about it.

Why would one want to manually override ? Want it louder or want to fry your gear ?

no but i want want, just because. The asus ROG is sexy af.

Mobos are usually retarded and can only do fan control based on CPU temp, not based on GPU temp for instance.

>Would it be difficult to build your own DIY fan controller?

Not really, you just need something like a soldering test grid, put a fan controller input and output connector, and a potentiometer inbetween, hooked up to the voltage pin.

Thing is, you'll want to make it look good (like, a front panel... panel, bicolor leds depending on how high it is set, etc), or even make it capable of controlling multiple fan controllers - either all from one pot or one pot for every fan. And then the material cost goes up since you want leds, microcontrollers to drive them and whatnot.

At which point it saves you a lot of time to just buy a pre-made one. I got a Zalman MFC1 Plus, at one point I tried computing how much it would cost to make something same on my own, and with PCB design and component cost I was already near what this thing costs on retail - without even the aluminium front panel. They could afford it to make it priced that low, since they make them in the tens of thousands, while you are building 1.

I have one, but I need to get rid of it.

No, I just bought a phanteks PWM to DC fan converter that's the size of 2 flashdrives wide that has like 8 ports and powers from SATA, just velcros behind the motherboard and lets 1 PWM port decide the speed of the fans. Works great and I don't have all that rice shit on the front of my case that requires temp sensors taped to everything.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0R05WE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How is that retarded? How about get a GPU that doesn't have shit cooling and doesn't act as a miniature Sun

I had one when I was 16, a Core 2 Duo was hot shit and gaymen branded components just started arising.
Obviously I was 16 and thought having a fan controller and LED fans was hot shit (when there were basically 0 windowed cases and all you could only see of your fans was a faint glow through the mesh)

Any decent motherboard with 2 or more PWM headers will render this device useless though

yea and its a waste of space, a pull out drawer there would be more useful

only glad to have it one time when my cat knocked my pc down and fucked up a mystery fan, turned them off one by one and determined it was the heatsink and then went back to never using it

>C2D era
>gaymen branded components just started arising.

lmao

It's retarded because the CPU isn't the greatest heat source. Your 100W CPU doesn't require more airflow than a 200-300W graphics card.

I understand that, but what I'm saying is the mobo manufacturer is not responsible for the heat of your graphics card. It'd be a nice feature but it isn't retarded to only build your onboard BIOS's abilities around what your standard user is going to have.

SpeedFan can manage speeds based on speeds of other fans. Just set it to be managed by your GPU's fan and it will do what you want.

Right, so the UEFI should handle actual CPU cooler fan speeds, but case fans must ramp up and down based on GPU too. This doesn't have to be in the UEFI, it can be done entirely in software. SpeedFan does it for instance, but SpeedFan isn't perfectly compatible with anything. A non-retarded fan control program coming with the mobo would be the ideal solution, but everything I've personally used is designed ass-backwards with more focus on an ugly skin rather than functionality.

No, I have a motherboard for that.

>Turbo setting is A-OK. I have so many fans they don't need to run wild. Nice and quiet.

Why the fuck would you buy a fan?!??!?!?! your fucking dumb as shit, just use some natural air intake and outake(your breath), fuckign dumb italian bitch doesn't realize you can just use nature fucking

>

Just put your PC outside and let the wind take its course

Everything NZXT is shitty. I had one h440, its looked nice and dandy, but it was a hot furnace inside. For me no more meme cases.

Honestly if god wanted you to use your computer he would be actively cooling it himself, and if your computer overheats thats just your fault for not putting enough faith into christianity(fuck other religions)

Have the 240 Phantom. Cable management is shitty as fuck. Cooling is good though I guess.

Just gonna go full tower next time

I have the same case and it's fine. I have the 3 stock fans on the front doing intake, a 240mm rad for the CPU blowing out the top and the 120mm rad on my GPU blowing out the back. Motherboard temps are in the low 30s.

I put them on low in the bios, never clean inside the case.
It's like 10°C over ambient inside the case, but pretty quiet.

it's 2017, don't that shit work automatically

Clean the inside you fucking mong

>What is maintenance

If you have a mid-size or larger case in the year 2017 your shit isn't going to overheat no matter what you do to it. Seriously, there are numerous videos of people sticking random shit like stuffed animals in there and doing hack cable routing and just about anything you can think of. It barely has any effect on temps.

Pretty much. You only have to pay attention to cooling with 2 or more graphics cards.

Yes I do. Needed? Nah. looks good and matches my black and blue theme? hell yes

I actually did like a month ago in the first time since... probably one or even two years ago. Microdust settled, so I need to take the parts apart and clean them individually with a brush or something since air doesn't get that film of dust that glued to things.
Just checked, 6-8 over ambient.
Nothing's getting fucked over some dust, it's not like when ram died because you didn't clean it back then.

I'm autistic so I clean mine out every month or so. It just so happens that my room is always really dusty though.

My 212Evo has the dust film you speak of. I just want to submerge it in alcohol and give it a good scrub, but the temps are fine regardless.

All temps are fine, I just want it spic and span. But my cable management sucks.

As you can see though, the NZXT one has buttons failure.

See how my number 3 spot is more blackened? Just happened one day, never worked since. But the other 4 do thankfully. I just keep the fans at 1500rpm. Works just fine

Yeah, I get you, I cleaned it super often in its first year.
That dust is a bitch and it looks like shit too.
Cable management isn't that important for temps actually, just having a constant flow and heatsinks properly exposed to it is what does it. I do have cable management super tidy (but not custom cabled) because I have a ton of drives though.

If I don't get my cables right, I can't get my side panels on. This is with a fully modular PSU too. But because i's windowed, I try to get it perfect like you see on the Internets.

Man i had one with top rad. Temps were not good, water around 40C, when i added another gpu, thing gone into 50C. If i opened the damn frontal refrigerator door temps dropped 15c.
Tried even with intake delta fans. The case simply cant intake enough air.

Moved to a very cheap but well ventilated thermaltake v4.
Also, as someone said, I hate cable management in h440

fuck the noise
just set your shit at max

I got this old guy on the front pointed under the GPU. It makes a huge difference, temp goes from 68 to 56, I never believed in fans so much before. Noisy but manual fan control is the point - its only noisy when it has to be.

at first i considered it because i was so fucking rage because i couldn't figure out how to automate fans on leenox

then i got a revelation that is surprisingly hard to find by googling shit:

sensors-detect
modprobe dem missing sensorz
echo 0 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/pwm1
echo 255 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/pwm1

wee :3

after that i could finally kinda understand how the fuck to configure fancontrol thing

then i made it into a systemd service file

then i wasted too much time trying to prevent the fans go 100% (very loud on gpu) on program exit when the system was shutting down

then i discovered you need to put this "make fans back to 0" shit in ExecStopPost nothing else works and i actually have no idea why. it supposed to

still on system shutdown it goes 100% for less than a second then goes 0

=====
#windoze edition

speedfan is kinda shitty too

graphs are too unnecessary why can't it just keep the given temp (range)?

oh it can.

oh wait the algo sucks:
1. can't change refresh rate
2. fan speed can only change by a constant preconfigured amount every refresh.
makes it super retarded, slow reaction times or else big fanspeed jumps

>not splitting all your pwm fans off one system fan header.

plebs

>fan controller input and output connector, and a potentiometer inbetween
this is a bad idea for PWM fans. You want a proper PWM controller (which is a cheap part) that can be tuned by adjusting a resistance value (depending on your controller, the exact circuit varies).

no because I live in thailand so my rig would just blow up with idle fans