WINDOWS GENERAL /wg/

Windows is superior in every way. with its beautiful start menu, fast boot time, and quick windows apps, it's truly an amazing os.

Linux fags BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iv2wtBeo0Qc
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
thepiratebay.org/torrent/17961928/Windows_10_Enterprise_X64_2016_LTSB_MULTi-20_June_2017__Gen2_
wccftech.com/microsoft-trademarks-direct-physics-dx12/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Win 10 Enterprise best version

oh boy India general

hello sirs

Windbg is better than lldb and gdb
Winapi is better than whatever the meme shit Linux has is

>Still haven't removed Life at a glance
Fucking beta normie faggot

t. Ranjeet from Linux India

>all the window shills in one place
good, stay in your containment thread and stop spreading your misinformation on the rest of Sup Forums

why does "Photos" suck so bad

>mfw Spotlight shows a preview for Word documents but Microsoft's very own Windows search doesn't show a preview

it does have a broken tooltip though

because it was made by Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't make good software.

>using botnet search
kill yourself

too bad none of us can get it

which one is the botnet search

>call Spotlight search botnet
>Windows fax so stupid he doesn't know what I called a botnet
I bet you couldn't install Ubuntu even if your grandma walks you through it.

>with its beautiful start menu
If you're using the start menu in a way that's not "first few letters of the application name" you're retarded.
You should be using Everything for search.

>fast boot time
Why are you even rebooting?

>quick windows apps
All "windows apps" are shit.

>truly an amazing os
It's alright.

average Windows user
youtube.com/watch?v=iv2wtBeo0Qc

Does Ubuntu still come with botnet search

Yes, but its for amazon to search ur pc for u

when is the next "big" windows update?

they eventually listend to the community and had it disabled by default. there abandoning Unity so it's not a relevant issue anymore.

installing Gentoo is the next big update.

Q4 2017 probably

Do other systems even try?

I'll ignore all of the other stupid shit in that screenshot and just tell you to replace putty with kitty.

ok, it even picked up my putty settings - nice

>paying to use an advertising botnet

Windows Hate General?

EBAY
B
A
Y

>fast boot time
???

Linux can boot in 1 second.

Fall Creators Update

Sure thing thinkpoor

I dread the Windows updates now. It's like, what will they ruin next? 10 years ago a major Windows update would've always been an improvement.

>sharp edges and frosted glass
>horribly inconsistent UI
>abhorrent font rendering
>Minecraft and Candy Crush built in
>forced updates ("XD just shut them off and get WannaCry")
>advertisements in an OS that costs more than $100
>spies on you with no way to shut it off ("muh Russian placebo tools")
>"it just works" (right click/unpin from start, right click/unpin from start)
>oh no something happened! :(

>Install Ubuntu
>Track-pad stops working on second boot

every OS has the shit you have to grind through .

>sharp edges
Literally nothing wrong with that.
>frosted glass
Transparency is optional.
>Minecraft and Candy Crush built in
It's not built it, an ad tile is placed on your start menu if you don't turn off ads.
>forced updates
Only on Home edition, as it should be. Normies can't be trusted.
>advertisements
Turn them off.
>spies on you with no way to shut it off ("muh Russian placebo tools")
Use the official guide instead docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services

> beautiful
Shit, even ignoring everything else that is wrong with Windows, calling anything Microsoft designed since 2000 beautiful is honestly mentally ill.

I prefer Mint's menu. Also, it boots faster than Windows 10 does on my 1st gen i3 and 4 gigs of RAM.

Not sure what "quick Windows apps," are.

You misspelled "inferior", but that's to be expected since anyone technically literate who still prefers Windows must be an idiot.

This. The only people I know who use windows are illiterate in tech (like, it's literally impossible for you to explain the most basic shit to them, like what a cookie is), or is forced to use it for a certain program that won't work on anything else.

>most people who use windows are tech illiterate
>the userbase of the most widely used personal computer operating system closely represents the global tech literate/illiterate ratio
The world is full of surprises.

Say what you want about the OS itself, but Vista nailed the visual side of things.

It's really not. If the people using windows understood how fucking stupid the NT kernel's monolithic architecture is in the age of the internet, then those people wouldn't be tech-illiterate. They also wouldn't be using Windows.

Vista wasn't bad for a Windows OS, but it was extremely resource heavy, especially for its time.

>glass
That was the peak of skeuomorphism in design and I'm glad it's gone.
I expect at least another 5 years of mostly flat and then another shift.

>how fucking stupid the NT kernel's monolithic architecture is
Explain your reasoning an offer an alternative non-monolithic kernel that's is not a poc toy.

>Explain your reasoning.
Sure. When I run my internet browser of choice, there is literally no point in which I wish for that browser to have administrative privileges. The reason for this is obvious: you are not always fully in control of what your web browser does (pop ups and redirects being a couple of examples). Combining this with the need to use the internet browser to download new programs (like Windows does - although the store is a half-hearted attempt to address this) is a recepie for trouble. Furthermore, they don't even request any sort of verification, shy of clicking yes on their UAC once (or, in the case of Vista, literally every single time).

Meanwhile, in, say, linux, you use the terminal or their software manager to download new things, neither of which can be redirected to install things other than what you asked for. Furthermore, even with this added security layer, you still need to give the system administrator password in order to install anything, from something as small as a new font, all the way up to a kernel update. YOU are responsible for your security, and nothing gets installed without the admin's explicit permission.

This is why linux users do not freak out whenever a "virus" appears in the wild, despite not having an antivirus. Without their explicit permission, it can not possibly affect their computer. If it does, then they have nobody but themselves to blame. Meanwhile, Windows users can and should blame the architecture of the NT kernel.

I thought Linux fags didn't care about looks. Form over function bitch. Who cares if some of the elements don't match up with the other? I bet you color match your underware to your bow tie when you visit gay bars to get fucked by faggots like yourself. Fuck you.

To further expand on this guy's post. He's literally just talking about the web browser having admin privileges in Windows, but it doesn't stop there. Literally everything has admin privileges in Windows, while almost nothing does in Linux, MacOS, or FreeBSD. Furthermore, at least in Linux, it is extraordinarily easy to sandbox things through firejail/firetools, which some will argue is redundant, but it keeps even your settings in programs from being messed with.

Man you're dense.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a distro that actually looks good? Not shitting on GNU/Linux, I'm just curious.

I've tried Ubuntu a couple of years back and that Unity just looks like shit.

Linux is also a monolithic kernel but kernel architecture has nothing to do with your post.

A browser doesn't need (nor has) administrative privileges to download files, I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
Clicking Yes on the UAC dialog is the Windows equivalent of prefixing a command with sudo.

>Literally everything has admin privileges in Windows, while almost nothing does in Linux
That is simply not true. Only services are elevated, anything the user starts is not elevated by default.

I use Linux Mint Cinnamon with the Minty theme.

For some reason I get massive screen tearing on Cinnamon even on YouTube

>Clicking Yes on the UAC dialog is the Windows equivalent of prefixing a command with sudo.
That's the point. Literally everything 3rd party that you ever open requires you to click Yes on UAC. You are giving every 3rd party software Sudo status, from the first time you open it, until it gets updated (at which point, you need to click Yes on UAC again in order to keep using said program). You NEVER need to use Sudo to run any 3rd party software on Linux, because you are never giving any 3rd party software administrative privileges. You give those privileges to terminal, to your software manager, and to your update manager, and literally nothing else.

> dsguising intolerable density with transparency
It's better than anything after it, for sure, and that XP on default. But ME and before were the ones that didn't make you feel like you've eaten several pounds of old, dried up cake when you work with them.

>Literally everything 3rd party that you ever open requires you to click Yes on UAC
Plenty of applications can be installed just fine with plain user credentials. Some (e.g. Chrome) don't even give you an option and install themselves straight into AppData (a dot folder in ~ equivalent).

Your issue is that Windows doesn't have an official curated repository of applications, not the kernel architecture.

Not true. In fact, if all I wanted was curation, My complaints wouldn't exist, as I acknowledge the Windows Store (half-assed or not, the layman can get everything he could want from said store).

windows store isn't anywhere close to a good repo

Then maybe you should make a complain that isn't the lack of a software repository.

This conversation so far can be summarized as:
>the nt kernel is bad
>why
>because windows doesn't have a software repo

Except that's not what I'm complaining about.

It's more like:
>the NT kernel is bad
>why
>because everything needs sudo status to run.

Try to get on the same page dudes, there's nothing to argue

But that has nothing to do with the kernel.

When you say "everything" you mean installers. Installers obviously need "sudo status".
Windows doesn't have a software repo so third parties need to ship their own installers.
Hence you need to run third party installers with "sudo status".

I'm not just talking about the installers, no. I'm talking about literally launching the program after you have finished installing it. The UAC comes up on almost everything the first time you run it. This is an attempt to remedy their shit architecture.

r8

>The UAC comes up on almost everything the first time you run it
Give me some examples because I have never encountered that.

You meant
>GAYMING GENERAL /gg/

Not him, but it really is almost every 3rd party software, whether you're talking about Steam, a firewall, an antivirus, Adobe shit, pretty much anything I install.

That said, I saw you mention that chrome doesn't do that. I don't use Chrome, although I do use firefox, and it did it. So did brave, which is chromium based. Hell, my work needs the Weather Channel app, and IT does it every time there's an update, although that's on Windows 7, not 10.

Steam will only ask for administrative privileges when it's installing game prerequisites or if it's repairing itself after you've reinstalled Windows for example.
I am running several applications from Adobe's creative suite and none required elevation after installing.

Chrome doesn't do it when _installing_ because it's installing in the user folder. Firefox does it when it's _installing_ because it installs in Program Files by default. I have never seen Firefox ask to be elevated since I've installed it.
There's also nothing weird if an application asks to be elevated when it's updating. Program Files and related folders are protected and can't be written to at all without administrative privileges.

:(

I wasn't talking about the updates/installers themselves. I was talking about after the install/update was finished, and you tried to run the program for the first time afterwards, for a total of 2 UAC "Yes," presses.

As for Adobe, I'm more talking about the reader. Can't speak to the creative suite.

Yeah I have never encountered an application that does that.

A firewall might require it when you're changing the configuration.
An antivirus will usually require it when you're temporarily disabling it and such.
But I have never seen an application that randomly requires admin privileges when running it for the first time.

Even then it's completely unrelated to the kernel, the other user is retarded.

>blackbird

>download msdn iso
>install
>activate with autoKMS

lol, using botnet trash. you must be retarded.

>V6
>version 0.9.98

People don't quote me in the same post with that retard.

Ahh, the design that attracts autists.

>tfw most computers noticeably improved in performance after the glass was removed.

>Winshit 10
>Beautiful

Kys faggot

This simple program alone will trigger every wincuck on Earth

wp?

lol 16 years old confirmed.

> takes 10 hours to boot after crash because boot caching is fucked up

>being retarded

the best antimalware is Common Sense Suite 2017

LTSB
thepiratebay.org/torrent/17961928/Windows_10_Enterprise_X64_2016_LTSB_MULTi-20_June_2017__Gen2_

>MSE says OH NO A VIRUS
>action centre tells me to restart to complete changes to UAC
>theres a drive encryption virus going aroud
welp, time to learn linux I guess

Why?

wccftech.com/microsoft-trademarks-direct-physics-dx12/

>turk
>takes it up the ass

why am i not surprised?

Windows is superi...
Stop.
Just make a normal /wg/ thread.

This.

There's a fix for it. Google it.

Strong damage control here

QUESTION REGARDING: file placement on the windows desktop. Windows installed on 250 gb SSD, also have a 1TB HDD for files.

When I only had my HDD, I was able to easily drag files onto my desktop, and arrange folders there as well. But now that I've got my SSD boot drive set up, the desktop is now linked to the SSD, not the HDD. I would like to be able to have my visible desktop linked to my HDD, so when I drag and drop files there it will fill my HDD instead of constantly writing and rewriting on the SSD.

Any suggestions?

Are they trying to compete with vulkan?

inb4 jewgle botnet
inb4 1338 edgelord

How's this guys?

inb4 please use lelnuks