Is there any reason i shouldnt use atom

is there any reason i shouldnt use atom

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jhallen/joes-sandbox/tree/master/editor-perf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

> 700MBs of memory for a text editor

fucking how?

What is Atom?

You can't. Every matter is made of atoms.

Don't care, 16GB RAM installed

The only reason to use it is if you're a webdev because the thing is a fucking browser.

So install a fucking IDE to make use of it?

If you're doing python just get pycharm and thank me later.

Atom run so badly microsoft out of all company managed to make their fork perform better.

>a chrome instance just to edit text
Try opening a 1GB file and come back.

See you in one year buddy.

>being a ramlet

it's inferior to VSCode in every way

vscode exists

>thinking your ram will save you from crashing

Who the FUCK opens up 1gb in a text editor to do some real work? What kind of technical debt hell hole are you working for?

>secure backdoor

The RAM usage is one thing, it's another that it hogs that much RAM while being slow as fuck. When I use Sublime there's no slowness at all.

sublime is also closed source

I'm not going to suffer through god awful performance just because "muh foss"

I'll switch to Atom when the devs make it as fast as Sublime, which is likely never.

>Who the FUCK opens up 1gb in a text editor to do some real work?

What are log files

130k pages of logs? You might as well just grep out lines with a few keywords and hope it's enough to know what the fuck you need to do.

Logs should be rolled-over anyway prior to even reaching 1 gig.

enjoy ur botnet then :^)

They should but sometimes you inherit old systems and get told "I dunno I don't touch it it just werks", so you don't want to be the one to break it.

So you just archive off the old giant log file and keep it somewhere.

you use vim for those. atom and vscode are code editors. 1gb logfiles are not code

Go use Emacs if that bothers you.

>code editors.
lol. Tools specifically designed for code artisans™® amirite?

no. tool specifically designed for editing files that contain source code

I've never seen a text editor load slower. It wants to be an IDE. I'm on a 6th gen i7/16GB/M.2. SSD, there's no excuse for it's load times.

It takes 1s to load. Then you have it opened all day. No biggie.

its a web browser

I would not complain that much if it was only this electron shit, but atom feels slower than other electron apps

It looks good and seems to have decent features, but Sublime is just much faster here.

>700MBs of memory for a text editor
and whats worse, there is no intellisense in those 700 mb lol

> 700MBs of memory for a text editor

and it uses to crash searching in log files with only 3000 lines.

>Daily reminder that craptom is written in Javascript.

Because they rely on the DOM. Not sure how they model text, but I guess every character could be a separate DOM entry. JavaScript is generally fast enough nowadays, but messing with the DOM is what makes it slow in the browser.

Maybe you should learn to use the command line to search logs you brainlet.

At least with emacs you can run a server and access it as a client so you bypass the load time ...

What's up with the atom/vscode shilling on Sup Forums?
Why would anyone shill such a steaming load of shit?

github.com/jhallen/joes-sandbox/tree/master/editor-perf

over 10 fucking minutes for something other widely used and superior editors do in 10 seconds.

>b-bubut i don't use this
yeah, atom seems to be the perfect tool for writing hello world and fizzbuzz

ed is the standard text editor. ed is small, ed is fast, and ed is standard. If you're an idiot, you should use emacs.

>posts emojis
>argues over opening log files in something other than vim/vi
truly retarded

I don't give a fuck about benchmarks. Performance is a binary switch: either it's acceptable for me and my use cases or not. vscode's performance is acceptable for me when dealing with small to medium sized java, python, typescript and elixir projects. And then it beats alternatives in terms of features and comfort of use (except with java where eclipse/intellij is clearly better so I use that).

For quick edits from inside the terminal where launch speed is important vscode's startup time is not acceptable so I use vim.

hurr durr you guys should stop using a text editor that improves your daily productivity tenfold because this arbitrary benchmark shows it's slow on a thing that has nothing to do with any real world use case

>improves your daily productivity