Previous thread: >>61112469 →

Previous thread: →

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440), HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p) ,and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/New-14-0-LED-LCD-IPS-Screen-FHD-Display-for-IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-T450-T450S-/192211525280
jacksonville.craigslist.org/sys/6199908028.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for actual last thread

Second for expensive 2133MHz DDR3L SODIMMs

If manage to get nc6220 on a low price, should I get one?

>Pentium M

No, no way in hell.

How much will I reduce the battery life of my T450 if I replace the screen with a 1080 one?
This ebay.co.uk/itm/New-14-0-LED-LCD-IPS-Screen-FHD-Display-for-IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-T450-T450S-/192211525280 Is the screen I was thinking about. Would it even work?

Is a 200 euro chinkpad of the x line generally good enough for watching 720p movies on winblows? Do I need to pay attention to the graphics chip for that a lot?

X220 or X230. Don't worry about GPU for just 720p shit

But I already have 3 Pentium M laptops and one Pentium 4-M. What is there to be afraid?

Reminder to kill yourself if you've considered buying a newish Lenovo product instead of a 51nb board.

Thanks for answering. Ilu :3

I know some of you have been using the T420 for quite some time now, but would it make sense to buy a T420 in 2017?

I'm about to get a bonus of about 7000 $ because I've been a good wagie, should I invest it in a P71 and throw away my 11 year old desktop computer (Athlon, 4 gb DDR3, mechanical hdd)

On a side note, I'd like to have something that I could keep 10+ years again. For outside, I use my company computer (t460s) but having a bit laptop instead of a desktop computer sounds really comfy because so I could also occasionally use it in the living room or on the balcony and stuff like that...

if you do, make sure to get an eGPU too

how and why got archived after just 35 posts?

The american posters went to sleep

I've never seen something such happening before.

What's a good OS to run on a T430 with 4gb RAM?

Got a x230 for next to nothing. 8gb ram, 256gb ssd. Came with Botnet 10. Remove it entirely? Or dual boot it with... what?

Any experience with Linux?

Only casually. Installed Xubuntu on an old PC. But looking to change that, learn things, etc.

Gentoo

GENTOO
E
N
T
O
O

I was in the same position. Start with Mint or Ubuntu until you learn common commands, then you can move on to something different.

Yeah I tried out Mint, but it seemed like Xubuntu was a better fit for me as well as the shit PC I was installing it on.

How much did you get it for? I want a x220 but I'm having a heck of a time finding one for a good price that isn't a stealth tablet. I might give up and go for an x230.

$80. Don't think they knew what they had.

People were asleep. Shame because I liked OP's pic

>W510
>quadcore i7
>16GB RAM
>1080p
>256SSD
>new battery
>NVIDIA
>>>$230

Why does everyone not do this

W510 is already 16:9 cancer, so if you're OK with that, you should go all the way to W530 and get much better guts for the same price.

I wanted a newer CPU because of the better iGPU. Plus, anything up to x40 tends to have socketed CPUs.

>Be me 3 years ago
>Doing bathymetry with my uncle
>We used T400 for data aquisition
>And some HP trash used as backup
>The poor thing endured the harshest conditions a laptop could possibly go through
>Being used on a boat 7 in the rain in a plastic crate turned on the side.
>Carried carelessly from trailer-office to the boat about 10 times a day
>I think to myself "god damn thats a good laptop, i want me a thinkpad."
>Fast forward a year or two
>Learn about the thinkpad meme status as the official Sup Forums laptop series
>Nothing has ever made more sense.
>Order a T420 a week ago
>Feels good man

Thinking about getting a memepad (UK here). I quite like the look of the T450, what would be a good price for one, currently seeing them on ebay for £350-400. My need isn't urgent so I'm happy to wait for a good price.

Or should I get a T460, is the performance increase worth it for what looks like an extra 100-150 squids?

Get Thinkpad yoga

>trying to take keyboard off
>broke a key

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Can I glue it back?

fuck off nigger

build another desktop and get an x series that will actually last ten years

broke a key how? did you just pull off a keycap?
if so just push it back on you dumb nigger

Is arrow direct a reliable refurbisher? Or should I be wary?

>quadcore i7
1st gen cpus are 45nm cancer
enjoy you're housefire and shit battery life + performance

Yeah sure, I'm reliable refusbisher. Now gib me all you shekelz goyim.
Don't forget that if the dGPU on that shits itself, it's game over.

no fuck you

a tiny bit broke.
It won' stay anymore.

Any refurbishers that you would recommend?

why?

Okay /tpg/ I asked this in the fake thread but I'll ask again. Do I buy this:
jacksonville.craigslist.org/sys/6199908028.html
T430 with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD. Also comes with AC and battery. What do, Sup Forumsentlemen?

Yourself
Get Thinkpad E440 or E450
Get E430 instead

Shit, meant to put it's $100

>is the performance increase worth it f
the increase in cpu performance has been almost non existent since sandy bridge.

You only get better temps, and maybe more battery time.

the t450 should be fine, but what do you want it for?

grab it

Alright, thanks

I have a simple question. I am an owner of a T420s which I love other than one giant glaring flaw. Said flaw is forcing me to have second thoughts unfortunately. So here it is, the screen f-ing sucks. I mean it sucks bad. It's the 1600x900 but just looking at it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. The question is, what is the oldest T series Thinkpad (or Latitude or Pavilion) I can get that actually has a decent modern looking screen?

701cs or anyother laptop with STN or DSTN panel

Should I jump on this or what? Is it a good price?

>Thinkpad yoga
Fucking disgusting.

I got a 701cs a while back and decided to put Gentoo on it. Been compiling KDE for quite a while now. Any other suggestions.

Forgot link ttps://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA5HA5D72881

Doesn't the P71 have a shitty hinge?

>E-series
what do you hope to gain

Hope? There is not hope for those who desire to buy

and I thought the $140 I paid for mine with nearly identical specs (+charger and battery) was good...

yes get it

too much

why do you think that?
muh modern? muh halfassed apple clone?

Just writing small programs/katas (for fun) around so I don't have to be tethered to my desk.

T4Fiddy it is.

turn off your trip, newfag

But mooooom, what if I forget to turn it back on again in the general where it's relevant?

how much for an x220t with 16gb 1333mhz ddr3 and 500gb ssd? (+ ips screen).
i7 2620m

$250

I'm eurocuck

€250

W530 owners, anyone have trouble upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10? I keep getting stuck at 32% of the upgrade process.

nevermind figured it out, it was that peice of shit quadro

>Why do you think that
>muh modern
>muh halfassed apple clone

Look there buddy. I have a shitty Dell 3340 which is a good example of modern days computer. Its made out of plastic and feels very cheap, the keyboard layout is a mess (like always from a computer that was made in 2014) and the genuine design is bad and unreliable.
This computer is not thinkpad but it does not have to be to show it's point being proven. As you know, lenovo has dropped a lot classic and foremost useful features like ultrabay, so called legacy ports, rollcage, the simplicity to take it apart, easy to repair because they went the hard way (more expensive route) when they created these computers (for example the power jack and how it is connected to the motherboard via a cable) and of course the keyboard.

There is no point buying a "thinkpad" that does not have the thinkpad features. You would be better off just buying a regular computer than overrated and thus overpriced thinkpad. As a user of T30,T40,T60,T61 and X220, I can't stand people who use newer machines than XX30 (I hate xx30 users as well) because they do not represent the kind of thinkpads or the "thinkpad experience" in a way compared with these older thinkpads. You lost ultrabay, proper keyboard, even then dedicated trackpoint buttons in xx40 generation, rollcage, socketed CPUs and Ram slots, third party batteries that work without a bios mod due to lenovo whitelisting (which also impacts on other components as well), thinklight, proper docks and sliced batteries and the classic purple enter key.

tl;dr Go die in a fire faggot and X60 computers only

If ain't broken, don't fix it.
Thinkpads during 2006 were fine. They should have not changed them from there on. I can allow T400 but xx10 are out of the question since they don't have complete roll cage.

>"thinkpad experience"
>being hung up about a keyboard that is the same one on a shitty dell latitude

I see your pain, but
>socketed CPUs and Ram slots
Is all gone really that bad? The T440p still had socketed CPUs. Does the T460p have not? Too lazy to look it up myself, sorry. And what about RAMs, I guess not everything past XX40 is soldered, right?

To my eyes, it's the same. So shitty layout that you have to stop and look down on the keyboard if you hit in the correct spot and to make things worse, try do it in dark without a backlight keyboard or thinklight.

i meant the old latitude and the x220 keyboards, which are both overrated shit. p

if you're the guy I replied to, you're a fucking idiot for mixing up your < and your >
check your post again

i cant fucking stand modern laptop keyboards and that along with price is the primary reason I use a thinkpad

I don't understand the hate for these kinds of keyboards. I'm able to hit the right keys in complete darkness without looking down at the keyboard.

Do you mean these layouts? I do like this thinkpad layout because moar buttons and quite similar keyboard to a T60.
>you're a fucking idiot for mixing up your < and your >
That didin't come as a surprise. What I meant was that there is no hope to those who buy XX30 and newer laptops. XX30 can still have the 7-row keyboard so it's a bit acceptable.
Of course you are able to type but good luck on those function keys.

>but good luck on those function keys
I'm able to hit the right function keys too.

Good luck doing that exact samething on computers that have come out for the last 12 years.

Samething with Russian prefering their T-72 over any new model because the crew already knows how to operate so it will be cheaper and effective that way.

Once thinkpad keyboard, always a thinkpad keyboard.

Why the fuck ask then?

I just wanted to know if you guys have any experince on those laptops.

You can get a T440s with a 1080p IPS screen, then replace the touchpad.

>Good luck doing that exact samething on computers that have come out for the last 12 years.

Or a keyboard that has come out in the last 40

Or the qwerty layout which have comeout in the year 1873.
But disregard that, I suck cocks.

>2570p autist hasn't postd in a while

I miss him

Well I don't.

What is your advice /tpg/ ?

Looking for a laptop

Budget: 900 max
Size: 13" - 17"
Performance: preferably i7 as i run a good number of VMs. Max RAM something like 12GB+ is probably ok.
HDD is okay, will upgrade to SSD. Prefer sata SSD vs m2
Other requirements:

Has to have:
- to be able to run current distros of linux.
- docking station / ability to connect 2 external displays
- 1080 minimum res.
- wifi

like to have:
- ability to fit 2 x SSD / HD
- bigger screen a plus
- USB 3
- backlit keyboard and / or thinklight
- numpad

enjoy the webm as thanks for your advice

His shitty laptop broke and he's only got a dumbphone.

>enjoy the webm as thanks for your advice
No, I don't like 3D grills.

just bought a t420 and am running linux now

to whoever made the buying guide: t-thanks

I had all thinkpad generations from t30 up to t440 and the best chassis is from the t61 t400. i just tlove that keyboard and its not as filled with glue and rubber as in t410-t430. t61-t400 is the best chassis

I would like to replace the 1024x768 screen in a 14,1" T60 with a 1400x1050 panel. Do I have decent options?

So, is this basically the Thinktard containment thread? How does it feel to be in the same boat as Sup Forums in your peers' eyes?
>Posted from my Mac

Did Lenovo move all the drivers for systems older than the T420 to a legacy page somewhere that I can't find, or did they just take them down entirely?

They took them down

I was going to put Linux on this T400 anyway so I don't care too much, but thanks for letting me know