Perl

What do you think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

builtinperl.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

$_ is pretty neat.

dead language for dead people

I appreciate PCRE, though. The OG PCRE, that is. I ain't re-learning that shit. Maybe they should be called RCRE, now that Ruby's the best language with first-class regular expressions.

Too bad it's not OCaml.

Pretty cool a decade or more ago.

Now, there are simply superior alternatives, like Ruby.

Perl has a lot of support in bioinformatics. Particularly in Europe for some reason.

But even now Perl is being slowly phased out for python in bioinformatics. More so in the US.

However so many servers have scripts that are in Perl. Perl was basically the internet in the early 2000s. Perl is not going away anytime soon, but it's already evolving into an arcane language only known by the holiest of monks.

Also fuck Perl 6, it's an aborted fetus with a tumor on it's face

Perl is good because it is easy to make a forth in perl.

It's comfy as fuck

>superior alternatives, like Ruby.
Explain.

Perl was killed by Python, but I wonder what'll replace Python since it has its own problems.

>I wonder what'll replace Python
Perl.

>what will replace Python
Lua

GOAT language.

would be cuter if it was $_$

>python
>problems

someone who is on rails should be careful who he's calling dead

Perl Python Ruby

all dead to me

Wrong

No

Python is the abortion, research more about Perl 6 before you spout nonsense

This

No

Leaving an interesting link for you guys builtinperl.com/

It was pretty good as a faster solution than shell scripts and AWK, but went full retard with OOP. There's no compelling reason to use Perl today considering that Python exists.

Perl was killed by Perl 6

Python got shitter, Perl got better. Let Python die like Ruby or Pascal.

it was bash-inspired, retard
$ echo foo
$ echo $_
$ echo bar
$ echo $_

Keep telling yourself that, Perl 6 shill

Opinion discarded

>Ruby
Opinion discarded

>Perl 6 before you spout nonsense
I didn't know Larry Wall browsed Sup Forums. It's an honor to meet you sir!

>Typescript
>VBA
Nice chart

i know python. Is there any reason to learn Perl?
I couldn't find any advantages that perl has over python

Less bloat, not a meme

I use Perl to write quick scripts that are a bit too cumbersome to write in Bash for whatever reason. That's literally about it.
Perl 6 is completely different and is actually quite interesting, however I don't use it for anything.
I prefer Perl for simple regex/data-cleaning scripts. You can often boil it down to one line whereas Python would be pretty verbose otherwise.

Speak no ill of Saint Larry, heathen!

How's it a meme, besides just saying its a meme.

After learning an object oriented language like Java or c++, then learning a scripting language like python or Ruby, you usually can read just about any program and understand most of the syntax and guess what it's doing. People who know lots of langs generally have no fucking clue what is going on in a Perl program. Also Perl is just one of those clusterfuck languages in general.

Don't get me wrong, Perl has its place and some people use it very effectively, it just sucks for large projects with multiple people.

For example, I once tried to contribute to duckduckgo, and they use Perl. The amount of unreadable spaghetti in their codebase is actually laughable.

Are you telling me you can't read your code? Because that is your fault and yours only.

I hate it people made more tutorials for Python than Perl, suggest is better when is not. If you want the easiest syntax to learn then go for BASIC, but don't tell me Python is better than Perl.

Python is better than Perl.

Still on the top 10 of most used languages.

Also, perl6 is great. I had lots of fun with it.

Please elaborate. Because i think Perl6 is great.