/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?

CPUs:
>G4560 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - if you can't afford better or specifically need 8 threads but not a very powerful CPU
>R5 1500x - Decent but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - only for 144hz
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with exceptionally good stock coolers. (with the exception of the 1600X) consider using them over any sub 35USD cooler.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/NQXr8K
cyberpowerpc.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/kf3pvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/8sqzr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/83qzr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/GNfzr7
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KZw2D8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

we don't know user

How about these?

well hasnt something similar happened before?

Anyone know what the highest power draw single GPU card ever is? Is it the GTX480 or something else? Also what about dual-GPU cards, it would be the 6990 right?

I'm looking to pick up a cheap roomheater and currently the highest bidder on ebay on a set of two GTX480's. I can't find any 6990's at all or else I'd CFX them.

When did that shit start?

The only reprieve soon is that NVIDIA and AMD will be releasing some mining specific hardware which may reduce demand a bit. Also, it is expected sometime this year (probably towards the end of the year) ETH will become proof-of-stake, meaning that mining will be impossible. That will reduce demand but depending on other coin profitability it may not reduce it drastically.

>Also what about dual-GPU cards, it would be the 6990 right?
I think that crown would go to the 295x2

Both are valid.
If you really are on a very limited budget (meaning every 50$ counts) then go with intel.
But keep in mind your future upgrade will likely cost more.

There's a 70$ dollar difference between the two.

While the 1400 while not stellar is a proper cpu that will last you years.

The important thing is you don't waste money in terrible components that are/will be obsolete very quickly.

As far as the gpu goes you could try using ur current one for a while.

solid advice

On regular water-cooling probably around 380 W peak and that's with a voltage increase. With liquid nitrogen I think 650W (sustained) is the most I've heard of from a single card.

>295x2
I thought it might be but apparently not.

I mean Intel with i5-i7 vs AMD Ryzen.

Alright.

> Intel with i5-i7
but they don't fit your budget at all

The cards I'm bidding on are two MSI Hydrogen water block cards, 380W per card is fucking brutal, my 1000w PSU might not be enough.

Yea but as cheapo he'd basically be upgrading to current KabyLakes in 2-3 years, from his g4560 so that's his upgrade path.

Oh, I didn't know. I guess I'll go with AMD.

Dood are u the same guy?
You can go with the g4560 build(+50$ over ur initial budget due to mobo) and THEN upgrade to i5/i7 in couple years
OR
go with the 1400 (+120$ over initial budget/+70$ over the G4560 build) or whatever ryzen you can afford NOW.

We ready to roll with this? I'm just gonna pick up a second 2TB HDD later if I need to, one is good for now.

>are u the same guy?
Yeah.

I'm not planning on buying parts right now, because I didn't save enough money yet. In 2-3 months, I'll be ready. Also, some user was talking about R3.

That's not Intel and the 1080 ti is a lot faster for a little more.

The EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 is a little cheaper than that corsair one and it's rated very highly.

>1080 ti is a lot faster for a little more
160$$$

I gotcha, but when I did my original build a few years ago, the EVGA power supplies were getting some shit because of poor quality parts or something, so I've kinda stayed away from them ever since.

Any anticipated hardware deals for primeday? I know the previous few have sucked, but I am hoping for at least something this time. Ideally monitors for me.

You work at Wendy's?

Dude you can get the 850EVO 500GB for 65$ more

Same was true of Corsair with their RM series which has been fixed with the RMx and RMi series. EVGA has improved dramatically and now use Seasonic as their OEM for G3 units and tend to overperform wrt efficiency.

What does /pcbg/ think of threadripper

t.EVGA salesman

I want that fucker so bad, but I gotta behave myself and stick around my $1500 budget. I had a sick commission check last month from work, but I was planning on putting some way for my savings.

$65 for space I'll never use, though. That's pretty much going to only be the operating system files on that drive.

Yeah, it's been a few years. I'll take a look at a few of them.

It's shit.

what does mister fancy user think is better?

^ this user here. I need another idea for a GPU, the one I wanted was out of stock on Newegg.

>pretty much going to only be the operating system files on that drive

You don't gaym?

>$65 for space I'll never use, though.
Then why the FCUK did you pick a x370 mobo?
You could save 70$ by going B350

Intel Skylake-x.

Then what's the point of another user telling me to get 2 x 2TB HDDs? What am I gonna do with all of that space?

Is a Noctua D15S overkill for a mild overclock on a 1600? Looking to keep my build as quiet as possible.

It's worth getting a bigger ssd now and more hdd space if you need it later. Put all your programs and what games you play a lot on the ssd so they'll load faster.

what's the objectively correct gpu

>What am I gonna do with all of that space?
You realize that if you install your gaym on a HDD you're gonna get no benefits and loading times are gonna be slow as ass?
the 2x2tb or just the 2tb is for backup, videos, movies, projects, whatever, flac music collection idk what u do nigga

Yes, you could probably just go with something like a Cryorig H7 if you're not heavily OCing

...yeah, you're right. The fuck is wrong with me today?

You're easily influenced and cute.

I appreciate that, user. Mind helping me pick out a new GPU?

Look at the OP you blind faggot.

she means what brand of 1080 she shoud b gettin

pcpartpicker.com/list/NQXr8K

Any way to get this to $600 without compromising performance? I can't change the case.

Celeron, gt 1030, coolmax psu.

This. That 1080ti looks dope as F but... I can't break that damn budget.

get an R5 1400 (-$30), don't buy windows 10(-$90), get a WD Blue instead of Black(-$20), and just get 8GB of RAM for now(-$60).

that's like $200 right there

>Intel - Core i5-7500
>1050ti
>450w bronze PSU
>USD 100 Windows 10 licence

>>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming

Who buys a PC "just for gaming"? Why not just buy a gamecube or whatever console and play that?

g4560

Go R5, don't activate Windows or get a grey market key, buy a used GPU for now, get a 500-650W PSU for slightly more, use one RAM stick until you get another one later

>cyberpowerpc.com/
>Build a PC with 2 GPUs
>Sell one at 2x price used to make up for the mark up

pcpartpicker.com/list/kf3pvV
I just wanna run emulators prior to PS2/Gamecube

>I just wanna run emulators prior to PS2/Gamecube
What does that mean?
SNES/Genesis?
Then an APU is more than enough

I just want some hardware supported by ganoo/linux drivers that can run multiple virtual machines and have a keyboard that won't break after a month of programming.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8sqzr7

From what I could gather, I took you guys advice and got it down to this much. It's going to run Excel Macros (whatever the fuck that is, it takes a lot of memory apparently) and be hooked to 2 screens.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

Gaming requires more resources than normal everyday tasks, for example watching movies or browsing the net. Not only for gaming means for work, which needs even more resources. Now kys yourself.

pcpartpicker.com/list/83qzr7

>gaming @ 4k or 1440p
>ITX

my only two demands

I want that 1080ti, dammit... But this shit is getting outta control.

>buying a laptop drive

You play at 1080p/1440p 60hz sister, why do you even need a 1080 let alone a 1080ti

went to frys today. all the video cards were picked clean except the 1080ti and poverty tier cards. only saw one radeon a 460.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GNfzr7

Excel scales with threads well so an R5 will be much better than an i5

Yes. Bitcoin craze.

Because I fell for the GTX 970 meme on my last build and I was salty about it, so I feel like overcompensating. Plus, based on my parts, the 1070s and 1080s I'm looking at are in the same price range. But that could be due to me not knowing 100% what the fuck I'm doing.

A 1060 can play games at 1080 60 fps. You are indeed overcompensating.

get a used 980ti sweetheart

>not getting the 1600x

1060 will need to lower some setting for the upcoming PC games for sure.

leave her alone, the 1700 is the best pick for that kinda budget.

I had the same predicament back when I got my gpu. Get a 770, or save $100 and get a 760. Turns out I rarely play any graphically demanding games that have been released in the last few years. When I do I can still run most settings on high and get a decent 50-60 fps. My 760 is still running fine after 3 years.

I mean hell I was running a 660 and it was only Far Cry Primal that really kicked it in the guts.

guys, should I build computer with Core i7-7820X CPU now or wait another two or three years ?

I have x5470 right now

Wait. The only thing that is relatively cheap right now is RAM. GPUs and SSDs are expensive atm.

I'm going to delid my CPU tomorrow, lads. Wish me luck.

I got a 1080ti cause I wanna play Ace Combat 7 at the highest setting, as well as TW2 and maybe FC5. But it is up to you. The GPU market is so fucked at the moment that you can afford to wait. Everything afterwards will be better or cheaper unless you are going for a high end or low end card.

How would you future proof this build if I wanted to maintain it for another 2-3yrs? Preferably playing vidya at high-ultra setting and and doing video editing.
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KZw2D8

This looks really solid. Thanks!

I don't plan on upgrading for at least another year or two. At that point 10 series cards should be relatively cheap. I hope.

No problem, buddy. Also, I made sure the PSU is modular because it will make the entire build easier in such a small case.

Get less expensive monitors, switch to an i7, and get a larger ssd.

I think I finally got it, boys.

Is this a new build? If so there is not reason for you to go with an Intel build unless you want really high framerates (over 100 fps).

Go with an R7 1700 build. You should be able to upgrade to a better CPU in a few years if they stick to the same socket...

gigabyte fans are noisy as fuck, would not recommend

I would go with the EVGA G3 instead of the NEX which is an older model for an extra $25.

I have a Gigabyte GPU right now. It's noisy without headphones, but I always have those fuckers on, so it doesn't bother me.

Well if you like open headphones then it is still a problem. I've heard asus cards are pretty quiet.

Right now, without spending $400+, your options are GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1060.

The RX 550 is a pile of shit

The RX 460/560/GTX 1050 are all barely cheaper than the 1050 Ti and significantly slower.

The RX 470/480/570/580 all cost $300+ due to le crypto miners

The 1070 is like a fucking $400 card which is a stupid price to pay unless you're gaming at 4k or some such bullshit.

That leaves the GTX 1050 Ti at around $140 and the GTX 1060 at around $200. They have nearly identical price:performance ratios, so it's just a matter of what your budget is.

>my opinion follows
>(my opinions are facts, btw)

1080p gaming isn't going anywhere for a while. Consoles are slowing the fuck out of graphics development, so graphics aren't going to get amazingly better in the next 5-6 years. The GTX 1060 is the best card to buy, right now. It's a cool, low-power-consumption card with exceptional price:performance and price:wattage ratios, and it'll run any game on ultra settings at 1080p60fps.

So

>what's the objectively correct gpu
GTX 1060 3GB. Any other answer is biblically retarded and nothing but the highest order of Reddit-tier stupidity and lack of critical thought.

What kind of psu is that? I have headphones and when I'm not playing any sounds on them, I still can't hear anything from my case.

This is exactly what I have in my room right now, except I have all 6 slots in my case filled with fans

>3GB

Always get the latest generation of Nvidia cards. Nvidia has a bad habit of not supporting the older generation cards in terms of drivers unlike AMD.