How are Dell Latitudes?

I've seen a couple people talk about them but I really want to know more about them so I can get an idea if I should get them or not.

trackpoint isn't as nice as thinkpad's (if you use that)

other than that, solid laptop, easy to repair, heavy as fuck

They're decent business laptops. Sturdy. Note, that on some there are only dvd-rom. It's as a security measure in majority of companies.

I've used heavy laptops in that past.

I have about four of these from work, they are ok but I could not recommend them over a Thinkpad.

How are the netbook variants?

Cheap plastic shit. Get a macbook.

Latitudes are greater than or equal to thinkpads. for quite a few years thinkpads have been coasting on the reputation IBM built for them. their keyboards are nothing to write home about compared to their old machines and people still spend more just for the red nipple. Go with latitude, cheaper and very well built, reliable laptops

dude thats a d620 from 2006

My dad had an old squarish one running XP for like ten years. Seem like reliable business machines if they're anything like that still.

Fuck off.

Planning on getting another variant that looks identical actually. A D630.

Dell Thinkpads, love my e6410

e6400, e4300 and e4200 are pretty neat and you can find them at ridiculous prices

latitude xt is dope but goodluck finding one

I'll try and look for the e6400, e4300, and the e4200 on ebay right now.

Found some good deals for those laptops. Like wow.

Don't. The screen hinges are propably gonna be absolutely worn out, and next thing you're gonna do is ask on Sup Forums which ThinkPad to buy. I've had d430 ,12" one, looks similar to d630, except it had an ulv c2d processor, and gma950 graphics. It served me nice for taking notes (although connected to AC for most of the time, because battery life was shit) but the hinges after some time began to wobble like pudding and after some time they held the screen only in a specific angle, otherwise the screen would fall onto the table. TL;Dr buy a ThinkPad, don't waste your money.

the hinges on e models are way better than the ones on d models

I'll try to find an e model.

ThinkPad by Dell

A+

That blue looks so nice.

i want an e6510 now. possible one of the best laptop designs of all time

I actually think the trackpoint is nicer on the latitude.

I've not used them since 2010. One of the biggest problems with them is that once something breaks you're either going to be unable to fix it or you'll have to spend a lot of money to get it done. To make a long story short, Dell keeps all of their hardware to themselves, so if anything like your screen or fan breaks then you'll have a hard time getting spare parts. There's also some evidence to suggest that things are slightly similar from a software point of view, for example upgrading one of their Vista laptops to Windows 7 often broke the fucking thing.

i've got an xt, n-trig drivers are a pain in the ass. won't even detect the display.

DO NOT get a 630. The model with dedicated graphics is by far the most common, and they fail since it's a novidya quadro.
My mother's D620 has been going strong for 11 years now. Sure, the hinges are a lot looser now, but it still doesn't have any screen wobble.
Can confirm, I have an E4300 and this thing is absolutely glorious. Perfect size, the screen is far better than any stock ThinkPad panel, and the full magnesium chassis feels better than a goddamn macbook (while also being a lot stronger). The hinges are on par with old ThinkPad T series.

I have a ThinkPad dome on my Latitude, and it feels exactly the same as a ThinkPad now.
It's easy as fuck to do; you simply put a bit of heatshrink tubing on the stem to make it a tad thicker. Then, cut the ThinkPad dome in half so it matches the length of the Latitude's, and put it on.

ikr
why dont we have colorful tech anymore

Latitudes are great. I've had the E6220, E6430, E7440, E7240, E7250. The 7000 models are more modern so I like them better. I think they've made the batteries internal and got rid of the docking port in favor of usb c shit, though.

These are basically thinkpads made by dell.

I have the E6440

Its well built, easy to repair and service. My model has a socketed motherboard as well so I could upgrade it to a quad core in future when they're ultra cheap.

Still... theres something about the all metal design of macbooks. The utter shit maintainability and repair-ability and high cost though are too much though.

I'm getting the intel graphics one.

Fine for business use, don't get the E7470, keyboard replacement requires taking apart entire laptop.

should i? gonna upgrade to an i7 740qm. currently have an msi gs60 which i dont even use, so probably gonna sell it and use this for plex streaming and diving into linux.

only thing im stuck up on is dunno if it has bluetooth.

where is a good place to get replacement batteries?

forgot pic

Bought a latitude e6420 as a gift for a family member who needed a laptop.

They're built very well and they seem really easy to service too.

I think they can even use external graphics cards if you are willing to tinker.

The only con I found was that the screen was 1366x768 (or something similar) crap. the quality of the screen itself seems ok though.

you can find them for stupid cheap on the dell ebay page refurbished. The machine I bought was refurbished and I didn't find any real flaws.

this is fake news

fag

>your screen
you have no idea what you're talking about, you don't have to replace a screen with the exact same model