/retro/

There's not been a /retro/ thread for a while, let's have one.
I've been working on this pos and it's almost working, but it keeps bitching about hard the hard drive.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/marcelvandenber/status/784688237218525184?lang=en
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4808945/HP-UX_11.11_for_9000_series
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4808934/HP-UX_11.11_Compiler_Suite___other_applications
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agat_(computer)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZX_Spectrum_clones
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I agree, time for /retro/.
Nice machine bro, heres my WIP machine.

Also pulled off an LGR recently and built a nice 486 box.

where do I get a nice retro computer?
Even pentium II's are expensive as fuck on ebay ;_;

Patience you must have, my young pada... retrofag.
Good things come to those who wait, just keep your eyes and ears open too.

bump

Is that the guy who "professionally" still uses his commodore because it "just werks"?

>but it keeps bitching about hard the hard drive
Hard, the Hard drive. Nice idea for a children's book, kek.

I ordered a LoTech IDE-XT adapter recently for my shitbox.
The old 10MB MFM drive deserves a little rest.

twitter.com/marcelvandenber/status/784688237218525184?lang=en

I still wonder if LGR lurks here every now and then.
But then again I think he probably avoids this place since there's more annoyance than valuable info, especially since around 2011/12. Others didn't have the luck to never enter the rabbit hole
>tfw you're here forever

>tfw you're here forever
Forever.

Kinda odd how people make such a fuzz about others using the same computer for literal decades while driving a 30 years old car, using a 20 years old washing machine or listening to disco on your 80's Sony hifi is no biggie

Beige keyboards are my fetish

They have a containment thread for that

True, but computers usually get upgraded.
A 30 year old car still drives at the speed limit and a 20 year old washing machine still washes, but a 26 year old computer won't allow you to manipulate those 20GB databases or watch YouTube videos.

It's a pretty significant thing to make a fuss about for normies.

Do Packard Bells have any sentimental value to anyone? I have a bunch of them and I don't know how to throw them out faster.

Part them out or just put them on sale for 5 bucks.

>Beige keyboards are my fetish
lol, my early 90's mech board was so absurdly yellowed when I found it in the attic I couldn't stand it and just wrapped it in tinfoil just for the shits until I could do something seriously about it.
in the end I completely forgot about restoring it with retrobright or painting it and just keep using it this way. interestingly the toil didn't rip anywhere yet, even after months.

Finally, a keyboard with proper shielding

No wonder you can't get anything more complicated than an xbox going, when you can't even double chek the shit you wrote. Champ.

Also, stop pretending you are cool because Model M. Every idiot has one ok?

2/10
Made me raise an eyebrow.

bump

It's not a model m you fucking dunce. Also I'm not writing a fucking thesis on a mongolian basket weaving forum so deal with it.

Check your local recycling centers, i've had luck there before. The boards will probably be fucked, but you may be able to get something good

bump

>he doesn't have his own time machine
topkek

bump

bumping with kot

It's one of those things where you really want one but once you have it you really have no use for it, at least for me. Check local ads, garage sales, ebay, ask around at work or your family if they have old computers they want to get ride of. That's how i got a few myself.

Wait, why would you want one in the first place then? Some collector autism?
You want one because you have use for it, not to leave them rotting again.

Sometimes, thrift stores have them. Where I live, they almost never have any PCs (I've only seen a P4 ThinkPad which I bought for $5.)

jewBay

They have nice big capital letters and big prices, just go and pick one
>SUPER RARE VINTAGE RETRO

wtf I hate multi-level caches now

Kek at the little Intel engineer

This isn't anything new, everyone wants things that they don't actually need and probably only use a hand full of times. Sometimes you get things thinking you'll use it for a project or toy around with it and then never actually get around to using it. Some people who post here have shelves filled to the brim with old tech, you're not going to tell me they have a need for all of them?
>not to leave them rotting again.
Some of these things where in the garbage or heading for it, it's better for them to rot in my closet. What do you want me to do, give them away to people who will just turn around and try to make a buck off it or recycle it?

>Some people who post here have shelves filled to the brim with old tech, you're not going to tell me they have a need for all of them?
They do, I've seen them set up some of their things from time to time.
The use is literally playing around with them.

Most people though have their shit set up all the time and play games or use them as learning tools.
If you just collect them on shelves though, you're just a collector, also known as cancer.

>What do you want me to do, give them away to people who will just turn around and try to make a buck off it or recycle it?
If you really have no use? Sell them? Actually be sure to who you give if you decide to just give them away? I never gave or sold anything away if I had a suspicion they just end up on a shelf or resold.

Kek, poorfag without a time machine.

>If you just collect them on shelves though, you're just a collector, also known as cancer.
Yes, collectors should be shot and their collection seized and redistributed to the people.

That would be nice, BUT don't forget, it's their shit.
You won't like it when a /vr/-tier autists starts screeching and saying the same thing about your machine because you slightly modified something of it, because you actually use your shit instead of jerking off to it from behind a glass.

Luckily, collectors still play a good role, they store things properly and originally for the future and they don't live forever.

pretty much what the situation is for me, whatever I don't buy from my sources are 99% guaranteed to be sent to a landfill or destroyed with no exceptions, because there's nobody else here really who does what I do
if I'm facing down a nicely configured PII box or an old 386/486 or whatever else and I've got a choice between paying $5 to store it in a nice temperature-controlled area and mess around with it every once and a while or sending it straight to the crusher because some bitter retrogamer like is really triggered about it then I'll always take the former option, at least then I can put it to work or eventually give it away/trade it to someone who would love it in the future should I ever meet such a person
you think way too highly of your banal use cases while you look down on others, take a step away from the computer and calm down a bit

>not sure if bait or just autistic

really weak my dude, no wonder you can't get over yourself long enough talk to people and find this shit on your own

>mess around with it every once and awhile
So you aren't a collector, you use your shit and actually look for a home for shit you don't need.
So why call me bitter when that's exactly what I said? Is this bait? Because I sure took it.

because you just sound angry and jealous more than anything, working in the antique industry for so long I've met tons of "collectors" as you describe them and they're generally great people and my favorite kind of person to deal with, because they aren't just sleazy pieces of shit trying to use you to make a quick buck or clueless casuals just trying to glom on to trends or looking for beautiful stuff to ruin with shabby shitting or other god awful hipster practices

not to mention that when the time comes that they have to downsize or purge their inventories for any other reason, the prices are going to be fantastic for even more fantastic shit that wouldn't have survived in any other way

kot milasha

Fair enough if you have good experience with such people, because most that I know just jerk off to their shit, almost never sell or trade and will outpay or bid you with ridiculous prices just to get something. You ask me why I'm angry and jealous, they make the hobby of people who enjoy the hardware and software much harder so their can just hoard their shit. Most of who I know don't even know much about the shit they have.

Not to mention, rarely I've heard of collectors selling for cheap, I know some Apple collectors that have given out shit for real cheap, but then again, those where people who loved their machines, knew and used them, but mostly I see collectors trying to hook some hipsters for a big paycheck when they sense they can get it and want to get rid of something.

>working in the antique industry
what do you do? are you someone who literary things that retro computers should be an industry?

>but it keeps bitching about hard the hard drive.
What seems to be the problem?

like I definitely understand where you're coming from too honestly, and there are still shitty ones out there who are just dick waving or hoarding things irrationally but I just don't feel they make as huge a dent when it comes to the stuff it sounds like you're into

every time I miss out on something or am looking hard for something I'll always remind myself that 90% of this stuff was
made in the millions and it does show up... eventually
nah I don't just work with electronics, my family does estate liquidation so I see all kinds of shit and different kinds of people who buy it

retro tech sure as fuck isn't an industry barring maybe surplus resellers supporting business customers, I'm usually the only one buying that shit even out of our own sales and auctions

>nah I don't just work with electronics, my family does estate liquidation so I see all kinds of shit and different kinds of people who buy it
>retro tech sure as fuck isn't an industry barring maybe surplus resellers supporting business customers, I'm usually the only one buying that shit even out of our own sales and auctions
youre alright dude
nice digits

Don't currently have a pic but rebuilding a 486 DOS gaming machine I had in pieces from a few months ago. Currently got drives in place, gonna start the DOS install later tonight.

Noice

>gonna start the DOS install later tonight.
Keep us posted with some DOS pr0n

>Model M
>Tandy

Taking the smart right out of the word smartass.

Earlier today I received this little laptop from my uncle. He ran it (along with other stuff) by me before throwing it into the dumpster, so of course I ended up taking it.

Battery (including BIOS battery, if it has one) is completely dead, but apart from that it works just fine. Even has XP installed. I don't really have a need or any use for it though. Ideas? I guess I could try Puppy Linux on the thing and have a nostalgia trip, must've been almost ten years since I last used that thing.

>GREEN SYSTEM

>like I definitely understand where you're coming from too honestly, and there are still shitty ones out there who are just dick waving or hoarding things irrationally but I just don't feel they make as huge a dent when it comes to the stuff it sounds like you're into
>every time I miss out on something or am looking hard for something I'll always remind myself that 90% of this stuff was
>made in the millions and it does show up... eventually
I agree, but as you already said too, 99% shit for you is either going to a landfill if you don't buy it for 5 bucks.
Where I'm located it ain't that easy, specially because the older shit never was really popular when new here and those dick wavers just want to get their mitts onto anything that does pop up.
Not to mention, the only reason anything gets sold online is to take advantage of the "retro is the flavor of the month and good for a quick big buck". Lucky if you happen to stumble onto something yourself.

Also as we know, places like eBay are expensive too, even if you really did want something that you know you won't otherwise find, not that it has always stopped me.

>working in the antique industry
How much would you value a Mac Classic II in unknown working condition with no keyboard or mouse? They seem to be going for a few hundred online in working condition and some guy in an antique shop has one for 45$ CDN. Also anyone known if they use standard mouse and keyboards or am i going to have to fish out original peripherals for it?

That's already a pretty capable machine, sure Linux would be nice.
CMOS battery change shouldn't be that hard, if youre into messing with this shit, you could ever replace the cells in the main battery.

I used to have a Latitude very similar to this one, specs wise too, as my main laptop.
Used to play Runescape in the shopping centres wifi. Kek.

He's an engineer and he built this balancing rig himself.

>"professionally"
Why in quotes? He does it for a living.

Not him, but check prices online that actually sold.
Also, mostly there's always those 300 buck units that never sell while those 50 buck units that pop up from time to time get sold right away.

wtf is goin on here?

Yeah, if I end up fiddling with it more the first thing I'll do is definitely changing the CMOS battery. Don't think I'll bother with the main battery though, unless I get completely hooked on retro. I have a pretty utilitarian view on technology tough, so I might just end up passing it forward.

I wish I had your Runescape nostalgia towards the machine! Before we had internet at home and I was only able to play at the library or at a friends house made it that much more magical.

dial-up

This. The biggest mistake people make when pricing things online is to use the prices of active listings. In other words, shit that has not sold. Always check the sold listings for no-pay/canceled bids and common closing prices to get an idea of what people are actually willing to pay for them.

Looks like an acoustically-coupled modem.

weird that I don't see those types very often with retro shit, closest I can think of is a dude who runs a mom-and-pop computer shop who gave up on it after buying out the whole building and now just hoards trade-ins from his regular customers while collecting rent, supposedly he has some real nice shit in a warehouse I want to get a crack at some day

and I've fallen for the eBay meme on occasion too, mostly for really esoteric shit that has 0 chance of showing up locally that I'd still get some use out of, been dumping more than I should on early WinCE handhelds lately that I'll probably end up using as glorified organizers
like $35-40 if it works and boots to an operating system
$15-20 if it's dead
they use ADB keyboards and mice which aren't too difficult to get a hold of honestly, surprised whatever you're looking at doesn't already have a set with it
yeah people who price only based on ebay rates are pretty retarded, our strategy is usually whatever the sold listings say and then slashing it by 25% or up to half depending on how niche it is

Nice! I have a Visualize as well, though mine's a C3700.

Don't suppose you have HP-UX 11.11 install media you could share?

check this shit:
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4808945/HP-UX_11.11_for_9000_series
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4808934/HP-UX_11.11_Compiler_Suite___other_applications
there's 10.20 and 11.31 too but I need to reseed them
have you found the porting and archive centre too? there's a ton of good shit on there that really helped convince me to give HP-UX a try, was considering a 3700 but it was a little more expensive and the 3000 still seemed like it had enough horsepower for what I wanted

Sorry for shitty image quality, but, I have an IBM ThinkPad G40 I got for $5 that I'm gonna use for a Windows 98 SE + KernelEx machine. I currently have no charger or TrackPoint for it ATM, so I'm going to order those sometime. I'm also gonna throw in a 64GB CF card (to replace the slow 4200 RPM HDD) as well as 2GB of RAM (after I install the Unofficial Service Pack.) What do you guys think?

Ironically people use those as daily drives in /tpg/

At least I could use it and laugh at people who have the latest MacBook Pros.

True that, fucking MacBooks have gone to shit in the past few years.

Where can I get an Agat keyboard? I can't find any and I want a comfy communist keyboard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agat_(computer)

eBay.

Just checked. None on ebay.

If you really want a Agat keyboard, good luck.
Else there are always other soviet clone machines.

>separating one of those from its keyboard
please this is my safe space
don't think you'd have much hope to turn one up outside of straight up going back there though, only would ever expect complete systems to show up on the international market

Being from East Europe, I had so much of Soviet clone shit back in the day.
Wonderful technology, almost always better than the systems they copied.

in what ways? they don't seem all that different to me, not that I would be surprised if they tricked them out a little

More RAM, better graphics chips, faster CPUs, in the likes of that, like Z80 and 8080 clones that I have personally owned that where more efficient per cycle and clocked higher.

This is what slavs actually believe.

>a clone system made AFTER the system it's cloning with government funding
>n-no way it can be b-better
put your tinfoil hat back on

A goodwill near me has a similar looking screen going for 35$

that makes sense, from what I skimmed it looks like they started with 1:1 clones but later enhanced the designs as time went on

the latest and greatest may have always been west of the wall but the stuff coming out of warsaw pact countries was just as fascinating in its own right, one day I might fall for one of those overpriced ukrainian ebay listings just to have an example, especially of one of the PDP-11 compatibles

Yeah uh-huh...

Western Intel 8080: 3MHz, flat 6-11 cycles per instruction. Introduced 1974
Soviet CCCP KR580IK80A: 2Mhz, flat 6-11 cycles per instruction. Introduced 1979
Western Zilog Z80: 4Mhz, 3-6 cycles per instruction (2-5 w/fetch overlap). Introduced 1976

It's a terminal

>Another development, the KR580VM1 (КP580BM1), has no western equivalent.[7] The KR580VM1 extends the Intel 8080 architecture and is binary compatible with it. The extensions differ, however, from both the Intel 8085 and the Zilog Z80. The KR580VM1 extends the address range from 64KB to 128KB. It adds two registers, H1 and L1, that can be used instead of H and L. Several 16-bit arithmetic instructions were added as well (DAD, DSUB, DCOMP).[8] Just like the Intel 8085 and the Zilog Z80, the KR580VM1 needs only a single +5V power supply instead of the three voltages required by the KR580VM80A. The maximum clock frequency was increased from 2MHz to 5MHz while the power consumption was reduced from 1.35W to 0.5W, compared to the KR580VM80A.

It's more fun to think about having a retro machine than actually having one.

Yet still gets curbstomped by the 8Mhz Z80H that came out before it.

Well, it wasn't a Z80H clone, was it?

yet in the systems it was used and that were clones of a original system, it was better than the original

pretty much the whole point of it and it's true

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZX_Spectrum_clones
Read up on all the improvement the clones had over the system it cloned.

Topkek, that's some dedication to make ZX clones

Well they're both improved 8080 clones. The difference is what it took half a decade for the soviets to do, Zilog typically did in two years and did better.
Basically the soviets had improved clones of older hardware, while the western world had already moved on to more advanced equipment. It's comparing the same tier of tech rather than the same time period.
>1991 1M Speccy
Jesus.
I disagree. I'm having a blast playing through Rise of the Dragon and dialing up a few retro BBSes that still exist. Using my original registered copy of Telix, no less.

Nobody sayd that advancements didnt exist already before the clones, the point was that they where better clones of the ORIGINAL.

Got DOS set up, Windows 3.1 and all drivers installed. Now time for some Oregon Trail. Hell yeah.

GOD DAMNIT

How can a fire destroy bullets?