Is vulkan picking up speed?

I remember looking at the games supported list for vulkan on wikipedia like a year ago, it wasent anywhere near the size of the DX12 list. Looking at it today they are far more equal... DX12 being proprietary window 10 only BS has likely crippled it severely. Don't know if that will last though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support

vs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/232880/microsoft-trademarks-direct-physics-havok-rebranded
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support
youtube.com/watch?v=H6st6QZTDxE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You know fine well Sup Forums don't give a shit about FOSS.

techpowerup.com/232880/microsoft-trademarks-direct-physics-havok-rebranded

>DX12 being proprietary window 10 only BS has likely crippled it severely
LMAO THE DELUSION

mmmh who cares? Directx 11 is the best.

Fuck off Huang.

The real reason NVidiots are terrified of DX12/Vulkan taking off. NVidya can't just slap a bunch of driver patches on and call it a day.

Hi Huang. How's GV100 yields?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support
OP this list literally hasn't changed since I've checked it last time back in early 2016. I think the only difference being Wolfenstein 2

it's only microsoft sponsored upcoming games that seem to care about dx12 anymore. vulkan is definitely the future.

funny thing about this is Direct Physics was a project from Microsoft more than a decade ago and was dropped because DX10 hardware wasn't really ready for it.

Seems so, even hobby games like Installation 01 are going to use it

Give it a few more months and you'll start seeing it in any every new gen game on the PC. It's already fully supported in Unreal (and I think Unity as well) and it works surprisingly well when competent people implement it. Big problem is that people don't really know how to use it correctly. Yeah, you have full control of when render calls are made: but you can still have code that is slower than just filling a buffer with calls and letting the driver decide when to execute.

Really, Vulkan is just OpenGL AZDO supported in a native API. The people who know AZDO have contributed to the project and already know how to use the API pretty effectively. The people who don't know AZDO just aren't going to get that much performance boost from Vulkan (and in some cases will have persistence drops).

The other thing to consider is that any GPGPU work is going to go through Vulkan soon. Not just OpenGL, but OpenCL in particular.

AMD failed to make nVidia adopt Mantle so they donated Mantle to Khronos and now nVidia is obliged to adopt it.
That's some 4D chess right here.

>dx12
Dx12 had less than 15 games on the list.

Vulkan > DX. Nothing else to discuss.

Does it mean that every game made from now on will be a clumsy glitchy piece of shit made in Unreal and Unity? Cry all you want about AAA games and devs lacking creativity but looking at engine, graphical fidelity and advancement going back to glitchy Unity and plastic Unreal is like being set back to stone age.

DX12 is pretty big actually. It has basically gone the same route as Vulkan. Asynchronicity, swap chain buffers, command lists, et cetera. However, they do have their differences in techniques. For example, D3D12 has this cool texture compression via z-order curves that is a total mindfuck. It's kind of like how you used to program programs onto a floppy in a spiral.

Neither do I. Fact is that one is cross platform, and one is botnet10 only. It's pretty obvious which is the better choice.

>clumsy glitchy piece of shit made in Unreal and Unity
Well you're certainly going to have more games made in Unreal and Unity. You're acting like games haven't been just made with out-sourced tools. Everyone and their grandma used the Quake 3 engine for the longest time.

>GPGPU work is going to go through Vulkan soon
That's actually a really exciting thing. OpenCL was basically OpenGL for computational science, but it'll be nice to see the possibilities for parallel computing in a Vulkan environment.

The big thing about Vulkan is that you don't just have to pass vertex or pixel data through graphics card hardware: it can be literally anything.

>failed to make nvidia adopt mantle
Mantle was always an academic pursuit. It was more of a proof of concept than anything else.

And thanks to AMD (and DICE) for doing the hard and dirty work for bringing something new to the market.

Vulkan has the advantage of being supported across multiple platforms so only one api to support. If it turns out to be the dominate graphics api it will be for that reason and that reason alone simply due to cost/time savings.

It wasn't just them. The entire industry got in on it and spent millions in labor hours to make this a reality. When the Khronos group felt confident about adopting AZDO into a new API, it just really took off. This was a big collaborative effort.

>Vulkan has the advantage of being supported across multiple platforms so only one api to support.
Same with GL, but D3D is still takes a huge cut into the market.

>If it turns out to be the dominate graphics api it will be for that reason and that reason alone simply due to cost/time savings.
Ehhh... in the long term I think that's right. Drivers are great because you don't have to think about the hardware past a surface level and you can just shit out command calls to the driver and let it play catch up and try to push the triangles to the screen.

Bad thing about that though is that drivers suck and you'd get better performance out of a competent and efficient command buffer system. So yeah, you'd probably have better portability (especially across platforms with a huge gap in hardware specs) with Vulkan since you can directly scale down how many draw calls you're making to the GPU without much hassle.

I really hope Vulkan takes off big time.
On my RX 460 on Linux I get 30 FPS more with Vulkan compared to OpenGL when playing Talos Principle.

Serious Sam team are very competent: that's why.

Now factor in all those emulators implementing Vulkan backends.
Didn't Dolphin even drop the unmaintained DX12 backend in favor of it?

>i really hope
It's not IF it takes off. It's how fast will it take off.
Doom on Vulkan is also a shining example of low-level API doing it's job.

Yes, they did. And RPCS3 is also implementing Vulkan backend afaik.

isn't it bad new for Nvidia Physx?

Just like OpenGL was better?

>but D3D is still takes a huge cut into the market.

Because microsoft pushed hard for it during a time it was easy for them to do so. From then on it was a snowball effect, and it`s not like it mattered since everyone was using Windows anyway.

OGL was a fucking mess. Vulkan is basically Mantle. And Matle is good.

Yeah I know. That's the point.

Nice samefag retards

I cut my message short. What I meant to say is that Microsoft is having a harder time with DX12, and it's the perfect opportunity to take away its market with Vulkan.

Vulkan is Mantle which is itself just OpenGL AZDO. So you're right.

Wow they spent over a fucking year of software skullfuckery to bring some performance improvements? Maybe it's finally time to bring back hardware scheduling, mr. Huang?

Too bad the graph from the video I posted is from May 5th this year. youtube.com/watch?v=H6st6QZTDxE

OpenGL is better. Simply because it's cross platform and libre. So, yes.

and still Microsoft crushed it because they are basically to big in the market.

>Microsoft crushed it
Shoo, pajeet.

You really showed me /r/pcgaming!

About tree fiddy

Better than 1.7% tho.

>140 completely unnecessary frames per second.

Fabrication technology improves.
Please buy Pas... I mean Volta.

dx12
>works on windows 10
vulkan
>works on windows 7/8/8.1/10 and linux
gee i wonder why they choose vulkan over dx12

>the human eye can only see 20 fps

Thank you mr. Huang! But i fear Pas... i mean consumer Volta will increase the performance without skyrocketing the TDP with biggur dies. Right, Huang-san?

24 actually. That's why movies look so real.

Thank you based AMD for bringing us mantle.