Just realized I am desperately in need of a computer upgrade (currently running a Phenom II X4 965)

Just realized I am desperately in need of a computer upgrade (currently running a Phenom II X4 965)
Should I? Which one? Should I wait for a price drop after Threadripper comes out?

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/234744/intel-x299-platform-called-a-vrm-disaster-by-overclocker-der8auer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>price drop after Threadripper comes out

Threadripper wont compete with the R7's Dipshit, its like Intel's i9 platform, R9 if you will.

Just get the R5 1600. Best bang for buck.

1055T checking in. I need a make over. How bad is it?

isn't your cpu enough ? What do you do ?

Yes
R5 1600
No, Threadripper is the enthusiast platform, it won't affect the product stack below it.

same as you OP, i love my trusty 965 but its time to upgrade.

i bought the 1600

what do you need 16 cores for?
just get r7 1700.

i7 7700k

budget gaymen: 1600
srs gaymen: 7700k
non gaymen: 1700

1600/1700 depending on whether you want/need six or eight cores. Get the X version if you're too lazy to overclock yourself. Silicon lottery is barely a factor with Ryzen because of their yeilds; 1600s can OC past 3.8 on stock cooling so you should have no issue getting whichever proc you get to 4 with good cooling.

As far as price drops, they've already seen pretty decent price drops. That 1800X is selling $40 below it's original MSRP. I don't remember the other MSRPs, but the 1600 can be had for

>5 eggs for all ayymd cpu
>all cpu are (((award winners))) and """"great for gaming""""

and the retards on this board are still sperging about
>m-muh intel shills

>srs gaymen
>frametimes through the roof
didn't you learn in statistics that the average can be affected by outliers?

Cry more, jew.

Why are you so desperately in need of an upgrade? Because your CPU doesn't work for the tasks you do anymore, because it broke or because the Jewish shills on Sup Forums convinced you to buy their new piece of shit and dispose of your perfectly working hardware for no reason?

Simply doing shit is not enough. I want to do shit faster. Or do more shit at once.

>500% chance of Threadripper having boot guard
fuck getting AM3+

>desperately in need of a computer upgrade
>running a Phenom II X4 965
Pick one and only one.

techpowerup.com/234744/intel-x299-platform-called-a-vrm-disaster-by-overclocker-der8auer

Ryzen Pro is getting boot guard and encrypted memory. The absolute mad men. They're going in such an opposite direction of Intel's Jew people out of features that I've seen Intel fan boys get confused about how much you get with a $300 AMD CPU.

>buying AMD is always a downgrade

Look at Vega and Bulldozer

I had Phenom II 955BE and I upgraded to R5 1600

It's not significant enough, also I don't care about shitty recent games

Do not believe the Ryzen memers. That is a shit CPU. Fails to beat old Intels from years ago.

What Says

A Phenom II X4 965 has a lot of room for overclock, i have mine over 4Ghz on air.
The only reason for me to upgrade would be VMs but i have a server for that.

Another vote for 1600. I've been an Intel user exclusively since 1998. My i7-2860QM laptop was getting old in the tooth so I figured I would build my first desktop in nearly 10 years. Went with Ryzen and don't have any regrets other than going mATX and now wishing I had a second 16x PCIe slot.

Have it overclocked 3.8GHz @ 1.32V and power consumption peaks at ~83W with all cores at 100% load. When I'm gaymen it's more like 50W.

>boot guard is good
>encrypted memory will stop psp
user...

/thread

1600 right now is the best bang/buck.

Running same setup and need an upgrade just for SSE but shit would break my back, cpu+mp would fuck my financials up.

I'd rather get another HDD or DL more RAM.

Women laugh at people who buy AMD

AMD is for pathetic virgins

PLS buy intel. I work at intel. pls

>budget gaymen: 1600
Strongly considering it.

i got jewed and bought a 1500x for 170. so dont do what i did and get a 1600

I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also recommend not buying a cooler, stock cooler is fucking amazing, dorm bro has it at 3.9 stock fml

I'd go for the 1600X. Higher clockspeeds are important with Ryzen chips moreso than core count.

Go away, Brian.

deals are great for 1600, but if you got cash to spare, then i wud agree

Got a 1600 3 weeks ago, couldn't be happier.

Not even bothered to OC it yet. Runs everything I throw at it perfectly.

>i paid for a $1000 system with Intel year 2011 performance, I'm so happy!!

Hi Brian.

>stock cooler is fucking amazing
Is it really that good? I may just use that one then.

It's decent. It'll still be outperformed by even a budget aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo though (the Spire is the one that comes with it, not the Max).

It's better than a lot of modest aftermarket coolers.

>I don't care about new games
>p-p-please buy intel goy, it is superior for gay men
your shitpost exceeded the boundaries of space and time user, you're literally contradicting yourself at this point.

CPU : $200
Motherboard : $70-$100

You couldn't hit $1000 with this kind of pricing unless you're throwing all sorts of stupid shit into your build.

its amazing considering the fact that its free. I already have like 4 hyper 212s lying around, but I was surprised that ayyyyymd didnt cheap out

1600 non-X is best price/perf.

b-but muh 3 way sli 1080ti and raid 0 with 2x 2tb 960 PRO.

For a stock cooler yes, but 212 evo is still better

R5 1600 if you can't wait till Zen2. Then you can just put zen2 in the same motherboard (unless you cheap out, so don't cheap out). Zen2 is going to blow Zen away, 10% IPC improvements + far better clocks due to IBM based 7nm. That badboy is going to be the cpu that finally replaces my aging 2500k.

>I don't care about shitty recent games
at least you're being honest about being an idiot.

Had a 1100T, upgraded to a 1700X an OC'd.

Buy used 2500k + some better Asus or Nigabyte P67 or Z68 board (P8P67 Deluxe and P67A-UD7-B3 for example) instead.
Save shekels and have identical or slightly better single core performance compared to zenver1.

>IBM based 7nm.
Who?

>That badboy is going to be the cpu that finally replaces my aging 2500k.
I wan to believe and 2500k is not aging or 'showing it's age' in my usage.

Just get an R7 1700

>2500K
Already trash. 2600K should be bare minimum if you want to stick with Sandy Bridge.
>zenver
Is this supposed to be some pathetic attempt at merging bulldozer and zen?

If you don't know IBM, then you are to young to be allowed on Sup Forums. But lets just say that IBM had first class foundies that got wasted on the limited usage they made from them. And now tglobalfoundries owns them, and they are going to sue the tech to jump right over intel's foundries. IBM was on the front of foundry tech, and they liked to work on massive clocking cpu's. So now imagine Zen on a process made for 5Ghz monster cpu's and not 3Ghz smarthphone SoC's...

sue should be use

Good question: it's almost garantee to reach 4.0 on 1700? Bet 1800 does it easily.

One good thing about tr is infinity fabric running 2:1 to memory. Other is process stepping. Last goodie is a bunch of pcie.

I was considering Intel x299 meme, but since it will run so hot I will be throttling back to around 4.0 it's probably easier to go tr and cheaper too.

Yes, I should have written 'source?' instead, so you could have saved your keyboard.

I'm typing on Model F terminal emulator manufactured in Scotland in 1986, that I got alongside with 5170 in 1990 dumbed by my then employeer. Young at hearth.

For historical reasons, its not even a dream to have AMD x86 cpu's made in IBM owned manufacture.

>Already trash. 2600K should be bare minimum if you want to stick with Sandy Bridge.
In a single to quad threaded operations, there is absolutely nothing to gain.

>Is this supposed to be some pathetic attempt at merging bulldozer and zen?
>He doesn't know gcc arch naming and posts' on Sup Forums

>Should I wait for a price drop after Threadripper comes out?

That already happened nigger. They dropped prices on the Threadripper announcement. Just go get one.

It is good for a stock cooler, it is big and has vapor chamber base, like highend GPU coolers.

How do you run Ryzen on windows 7?

you shouldn't be using windows 7 in 2017

i really wanna know this:
the thubans actually out perform vishera in a few ways.

How good is the 1500x? Should I upgrade my g3258 to it or the 1600?

I've never had an AMD processor until now, and I've been fucked by intel's kikery by having the non k and k CPUs. What is AMD's policy and what differences are there between x and non x CPUs?

>non-x
Stock cooler, can OC
>x
OC'd out of the box, can OC. As in, this one is for lazy people.
>AMD policy
Idk, anudda shoah so far

Was that a tricky question?

By installing it. For a hassle free experience use a ps/2 keyboard and then install USB drivers + AMD chipset drivers off AMD website.

then you're probably good enough with your phenom 965

The 1600 non-X is by far the best value for a processor on the market right now, with only the 1700 non-X maybe even coming close, and they won't drop in price when Threadraper comes out.

If you buy either, you still have a clear upgrade path for the next 3-4 years (Zen 2/3 = 2*6c CCXs on 7nm), until DDR5 comes out and AM4 retires.