/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy S8 (international variant) currently going for $600 in US
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_international_variant_currently_going_for_600_in_us-news-25966.php

Samsung Galaxy S8 Active receives FCC certification
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_active_receives_fcc_certification-news-25958.php

OnePlus 5 vs iPhone 7 Plus vs Galaxy S8 Camera Comparison by Krystal Key
youtu.be/LInflBKFS-k

Sony ‘might’ have a truly bezel-less phone at IFA 2017
androidauthority.com/sony-bezelless-phone-ifa-2017-784323/

OnePlus 5 (Snapdragon 835, UFS 2.1) vs. Galaxy S8+ (Snapdragon 835, UFS 2.1) - PhoneBuff Style Speed Test
youtube.com/watch?v=LCsBbDgvktY

Lenovo’s Moto X4 Tipped to Arrive on Google’s Project Fi in Q4 2017
xda-developers.com/lenovos-moto-x4-tipped-to-arrive-on-googles-project-fi-in-q4-2017/

Confirmed: OnePlus 5's Display is Upside-Down - Likely Causes Jelly Scrolling
xda-developers.com/confirmed-oneplus-5-display-upside-down-likely-reason-jelly-scrolling/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ZUK-Z2-Smartphone-Review.170061.0.html
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4ck81r/using_new_pipe_and_sparss_to_browse_youtube_w/
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2016&nRamMin=3000&chkUSBC=selected&sIPCerts=5,6
amazon.com/LG-G5-Unlocked-Phone-32/dp/B01DJE22C2
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_frequency_bands
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I go for the Mi Max 2 if I have a p9 lite? That battery is tempting.

Yes

Reposting from the old thread:
Should I get a BB priv or passport?
Priv has true android, but passport has better build and battery, yeah?

Anyone used any oleophobic coating kits or liquid screen protectors? Are they legit or just snake oil? I don't care about "scratch resistance" and other lofty claims, I'd just like my four year old phone to feel slick again.

This Crystalusion stuff in pic related seems to walk a fine line between looking legit and looking like a scam, I don't even care about the money, I don't want to damage the phone.

Just buy a tempered glass screen protector. I paid less than $2 for mine and it has oleophobic coating on it.

When is Nokia releasing their phones in Europe?

as you see in pic related my power button got loose, anyone know how to fix this? i have a moto G4

Glue it back in

I'm about to go to Verizon to upgrade my Samzung s7 to s8+. Anyone have any other recommendations for phones I can get at verizon.

Axon 7 arrives today. Bets on if it's in one piece?

What courier and from where?

DHL and a store in italy. I ordered it on thursday, and it's coming a day early, but from experience DHL are decent enough.

Which one has better Battery life and Screen on time ? Mi5 or Zuk Z2 ?

Zuk Z2. 3500 mAh battery ~8h SoT.
Mi5 3000 mAh battery ~4-5h SoT.

I have an LG 5, what should I upgrade to? Looking for better performance and battery life. I don't care much for camera. I guess viewing videos in higher quality would be nice too.

bullshit, I get 5-6h on my z2

>Zuk Z2. 3500 mAh battery ~8h SoT.
Maybe in your dreams.

Nice try Xiaomi shills.

looking for a phone under 350$

max 5.2". mostly looking for a good (video) camera, smooth operation in general and durability. i live in winland so i'd prefer B20. my thoughts so far:

>huawei nova
proper aluminum. great camera except for stills in shitty lighting and there's no 60fps@1080p. smallest of the bunch, ips screen seems meh

>asus zenfone 3 ze520kl
decent housing. ips+ seems good. great camera with ois and eis, hdr apparently a bit flawed though. asus kinda sketchy as a manufacturer when it comes to updates and QC? im fine with custom ROMs though

>zuk z2 pro
another great camera although the stills are a bit behind in definition. good build quality but has 2.5D glass and shit. zuk might get discontinued but not sure if its a big deal. good amoled.

>moto g5 plus
no comparisons in gsmarena but the camera seems very decent thought it lacks eis/ois and 60fps@1080. ive heard some other critique when it comes to more serious photography. bloat-free android is always nice. a bit larger than the others

>xiaomi mi 5s
nice metal housing, no gorilla glass though. good camera except for no ois or 60fps. ips kinda meh. no b20.

>honor 8
seems great otherwise but even my current s4 mini has a better video camera

idol 5s seems promising too

thoughts?

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ZUK-Z2-Smartphone-Review.170061.0.html
>ZUK Z2: 9h 6min SoT
>Mi5: 8h 24min SoT

Nice lies, ZUK shill

Can you get zuk only as white?

thanks

There's no reason to buy the ZUK when Mi5 is the same price and has
>better display
>better camera
>better audio
>better build quality
>faster memory (UFS 2.1 vs EMMC 5.1)
>more custom ROMs (inc. official LineageOS)

Yes, black hasn't been available for a long long time

Why chinks always make shitty woman colours so much that no one doesn't want to buy?

Honor 8 and G5+ have the best cameras among the phones you listed.
I'd go with the Moto for the stock android and future updates.

>shitty broken GPS
>underclocked SD820
>1GB less RAM
Fuck off back to /csg/ you stinky xiaoshill.

like i said, the shitty video camera in honor 8 is a dealbreaker

>good (video) camera
Try searching "*phone model* video sample/test" on YouTube to see what the different phones look like

the compression/processing on youtube makes it kinda pointless

>shitty broken GPS
it's been fixed, and it never was an issue on custom ROMs

>underclocked SD820
only the 3/32 version is underclocked, 3/64 version (which is selling for $199) is the same as the ZUK

>1GB less RAM
literally unnoticeable

All the points still stand

You won't find much better for $350 and

You can still compare what difference OIS/EIS/neither makes, and the audio quality of the video

Phone broke on me last night, costs too much to fix (audio jack broke, screen and thermals messed up, sensor module gone), what's a good phone to replace an lg g3? max budget is 200

sp00ky

moto g4 or g5.

Redmi Note 4 Global

looking at gsmarena comparisons, its not really better than the others i listed
very true, thanks

how good is it? Will it work US T-moble 4g?

No

Bought Lenovo K5 and fucking christ the camera is utter fucking shit. The front camera is better than the back one, got a refund and looking for a new phone.

Is Redmi 4X or Redmi Note 4X worth it? I just want to have good camera

It has band 4 which is T-Mobile's main LTE band so you should get 4g in most places.

cool thanks, i checked on willmyphonework and was unsure

They both have shit cameras as well. avoid chinkphones if you want a good camera.

Yeah no don't listen to him. it lacks B2 and B12, you won't get shit and end up buying a fancy brick.

is there good third party android youtube app that lets me view my subscriptions

NewPipe + SpaRSS

reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4ck81r/using_new_pipe_and_sparss_to_browse_youtube_w/

I'm looking for a "waterproof" phone that will last me a few years. I'd like a USB-C charging port, SD slot, and at least 3GB ram and 64GB ROM. I can wait a few months if something new and great is coming out but really need to get a new phone before October.

thanks i like newpipe but i want to see subscriptions so thats perfect

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2016&nRamMin=3000&chkUSBC=selected&sIPCerts=5,6

What's the recommended file explorer now ES is a botnet?

My native explorer only supports FTP, won't let me browse NAS'

amaze or solid explorer i guess

I want to remove Smart Connect(tm) from my phone. The problem is I don't know how its called in either the package manager or in the /system/app/ directory.

Is there a way for me to figure out its name? I looked through the installed packages and the directory but nothing with its name is in there, not even resembling.

so what should I get then if im on tmobile and want to spend less than $250-300

why the fuck would you use any other file manager when amaze exists and is open source

htc u11

Not him but Amaze crashes all the time on my Xperia Ion (running stock 4.1.2)

ZTE Blade V8 Pro
Moto G5+
Alcatel Idol 5S

LG G5 for $250 is a pretty good deal
amazon.com/LG-G5-Unlocked-Phone-32/dp/B01DJE22C2

Nokia 6

com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware

Honor 8
Moto G5+

there a a bunch of shit reviews on amazon for the g5.

I saw a G6 for $280 on ebay. is that too good?

Yes, it's probably stolen/fucked up
Pick one of these

Thanks, I didn't know gsmarena had such advanced search options.

I'll check it out.

>trusting Amazon reviews
You realise it's mainly tech illiterates writing them? Also you're way more likely to write a review if you have something to complain about, for every user having an issue there's 20 people happy with their phone who didn't write a review

it just has a cracked screen so a moto g5 is the best?

Thanks. How did you figure it out?

I tried that one before, but it didn't work (it seemed to be still on my phone). Then I opened up my /system/app directory with my file manager and it showed the icons. I found 2 files which had the same icon as the app I wanted to remove and delete those. The app is now gone.

What's more important to you? Features on a phone or OS support/updates?

SkyTube has offline subscriptions not tied to any account

MK Explorer

os updates and just a snappy response. I dont download games or any other shit so just want instant feedback

You'll get a snappy response from any of the ones I mentioned because their ROMs are rather lightweight and the 625 truly is the sweetspot SoC, but if updates are really what matters then you should get the G5+

thanks, i'm going from a nokia lumia 620 and am a bit tired of windows os

here, thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy A5?

I'd rather it had more internal storage than 32GB but with the SD card that probably wouldn't be an issue. Price point and other features look fine to me. I've never owned a Samsung phone before but I've heard people complaining about all the bloated software they pre-install on their phones, how bad is it really?

also how can i know if the
ZTE Blade V8 Pro
Alcatel Idol 5S
are supported by t mobile lte?

do you have a specific recommendation?

A5 2017 is alright. camera is shit though.

They are.

>camera is shit though

Well I currently have a 3rd gen Moto G which doesn't have a great camera. As long as the Samsung's camera is comparable to or better than my current phone then that'd be fine.

Look up the bands on the phones info page on GSMArena.com T-Mo/AT&Ts usual bands are 2/4/5/12/17 but 12 and 17 have been rolled into each other so if you see either mentioned it means 700MHz is supported on both T-Mo and AT&T

what's a good chink phone to buy? i have, at most, 200$. 150$ would be apreciated.

Also, aren't there any shops that ship phones the way Goldway used to? First in UK, then in EU, I mean.

thank you so much have a donut

Mi5s
Redmi note 4 Global
Zuk Z2

Honorbuy
Ibuygou
Giztop
Grossoshop
Flosmall

all have EU warehouses or EU protected shipping.

Most free as in freedumb smart phone?

can i import subscriptions from my youtube account

Moto G5 Plus really does have all day battery, holy shit.

So glad I got it for $349

The only thing I'm not too sure about is B28 support which is seen on some chinkphones, B28 uses the 700MHz spectrum, but slightly different
It does overlap frequencies with B12/17, but I'm not sure if a device with B28 support could pick up the frequencies in B12/17

Would anyone know this?

so theoretically I could use a redmi note 4 but on 3G?

It's in the URL for the app
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware

No, that's not how it works. it's a completly seperate band that is only used in Asia.

I think Goldway has that again

so i would be stuck on 2G. guess il get the moto 5

>$349
It's like $200 in the US

Yeah. get the g5+ if you can.

In Australia its $399 for 16GB/3GB and $449 for 32GB/4GB. Managed to get the 16GB for $349 though

I'm talking about B28 FDD-LTE, not TDD-LTE which is used solely in Asia
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_frequency_bands

any one know a good chink phone that will work in NA on att sub 200?

Anyone know what the Moto X4 is expected to cost?

I have a moto g4 on ebya for $50 is it a good buy?