/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - Budget builds (R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - only for 144hz
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with exceptionally good stock coolers. (with the exception of the 1600X) consider using them over any sub 35USD cooler.

Other urls found in this thread:

frys.com/product/9197658?site=sa:adpages page:P129 date:070217
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market
be.pcpartpicker.com/list/XG9MHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/GTG9HN
pcpartpicker.com/list/wkKXd6
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129028)
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7HN5EG0785&cm_re=Internal_USB_Hub-_-17-116-035-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824009484
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for FUCK YOU RAJA

d-don't worry navi will be good

>2017
>Trusting Raja
>FE is more than 500mm when Raja said it will be sub 500
>People think RX is going to be sub 500mm and perform better than a 1080

>7700k

Ha, that's a good one, user!

Which hdd is the fastest without being too loud? All I have is a WD Blue from an old computer and need to supplement my ssd.

Are there any legit places that sell Windows 7 codes? I have the home premium disk from years ago, but already used the code. I have no access to any other computer so can't download an OS either.
The only other alternative is travelling to a distant store and buying Windows 10, neither of which I really want.

Does anyone know of an AM4 board that can hit 3200mhz with 32gb of ram?

Will intel ever lower the price on their 1151 socket lineup?

>intel
>lower prices

Kinguin although that is pretty grey

Is this a good deal?

frys.com/product/9197658?site=sa:adpages page:P129 date:070217

Pretty grey?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

I don't know how that is relatable

>NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
Okay, so what SSD should I buy then?

Can I permacrash my PC if I boost RAM speed through Ryzen Master and the RAM is not able to achieve the particular speed? I have 3000mhz sticks but I can't get them to go more than 2400mhz through the BIOS, was thinking of trying Ryzen Master for the same. Any body has any experience with that?

I just don't want to brick shit.

Sata

h-how tall are they?

No you won't brick anything. If you can't achieve the clock, you get instability or crashes. At worst, you soft lock your clock and are unable to boot, then you just remove the CMOS or if you have a fancy mobo, hit the reset button and try again.

Thanks for the info mate. I was worried because the Mobo used to throwup a can't over clock error whenever I tried to boost through BIOS. I thought I might just fuck shit up through Ryzen Master.

Any idea why I can't get RAM past 2400MHZ? I updated the bios and am using recommended DOCP profiles. I will admit that I bought a cheapo motherboard (Asus A320) but even that supports 2600MHZ stock and upto 3200 on OC, but my RAM just refuses to go past 2400. I am at wits end here

Probably like 5'8"

They're standing on something, unless they all have freakishly-long lower legs. The magic of cinema.

>Any idea why I can't get RAM past 2400MHZ?
Is your RAM on the QVL?

Wow, it's neat to see that they have ankles like a foot off the ground.

No, I checked. But the QVL hasn't been updated since April, and I bought the only 3000mhz RAM I could find. It was probably a stupid decision and I regret it , but there must be some way to get it to 3000Mhz or somewhere close to it.

>No, I check.
Well there you go. Let me guess Ryzen right?

>There must be some way
Try updating your BIOS. Otherwise you are shit out of luck until ASUS adds compatibility or get a new mobo.

Guess I'll have to wait for updates then. The last update made the RAM run at 2400, up from the 2100 it was stuck at, so I'm hoping that things will sort themselves out in the future.

Any chance boosting from Ryzen Master will work?

be.pcpartpicker.com/list/XG9MHN
+ GTX1050 / ti.

Probably not. That is why the QVL notice was added to the OP. Too many people buying RAM not on their mobo QVL and then coming here wondering why their RAM isn't clocking at the speed it was advertised.

which one should I choose?

Thanks for the help guys. Never bothered checking QVL's with DDR3 before, as everything used to work on everything. Lesson learnt I guess. Gonna pray that ASUS add support some day.

>Never bothered checking QVL's with DDR3 before
AM4 is a new platform which is why. You won't find this problem with intel cause their platform is mature. Give the manufacturers time. They will sort this out with new bios hopefully or worse new mobos.

What case do you guys recommend for an Intel 7700k/GTX 1080Ti build?

is this good for the money?
pcpartpicker.com/list/GTG9HN

Yeah it's pretty good

P400S

>i3 6100
Get a G4560/g4600 instead, performs pretty much the same for much cheaper.
A cooler for such a weak (& unlocked CPU) also doesn't make much sense.

Are magnetic screwdrivers really that bad? The guide says they will fuck up your components but surely they are too weak to do anything

d-does it sucks?
pcpartpicker.com/list/wkKXd6

what power supply would you choose?

Magnetic screwdrivers to deal with casing shit.
Everything else use a normal screwdriver.

>7700K
>$215 motherboard
>$580 SSD
>1070

What the fuck are you doing?

Is this monitor any good? LG 29UM68-P.
It's 29" IPS ultrawide,75hz, with freesync, 5ms response time.
If it's good, will it work well with an rx 470?
Gonna be using for gaming and programming

when will the gpu prices get lower ?

never

Gold, Platinum or Titanium?

what usage

overwatch gayming

bought cpu, now just need ram and gpu
hoping prime day isn't shit this year

Anyone?

Evga G3 750w

So i cleansed my computer, also aplied a new thermal paste. At first maybe much, after reaplying again it was good amount.
So when i start up my PC, everything is good. I can browse the net, do some things.
But whenever i try to play any game, the computer autoshotdowns within seconds-
Also tried a new CPU fan. Is there a chance that maybe my VGA (fan) died?
6 year old PC

Why do you need a 7700k, AIO, GTX 1070 and a 1TB SSD to play overwatch?

I use a I-57 3570k @ stock with a 970 also stock getting 144fps + max settings.

Refer to Refer to

I can get this PC for 780$, is it a good deal?
(I live on a island in europe so i can not get the best deals on pcpartpicker or something like that):

Case: Antec P190+1200 , 650w + 550w (newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129028)
CPU: i7-3770
Memory: 4x4GB @ 1600 MHz (16GB)
Graphics: EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
RAM - 16GB
Motherboard: MSI7681
Storage: 2 x 3TB HDD
Wireless network
BlueRay writer

please drink lots of water
staying hydrated during hot times is very important

i forgot to mention it is used computer.

Given current 1060 prices and your location, it's a solid deal. CPU isn't the best if it's a non-K 3770, but at least it's a P67 motherboard, so you could drop one in later.

Hello guys. I'm building a computer and purchased this huge heatsink. How is the fans supposed to blow?

sexy

Why do $100 1080p screens look so shit? I mean I have one from 5 years ago. Are they any better now at same price point?

>How is the fans supposed to blow?
what

>>>leddit

That looks good bro. Having them blowing directly at each other like that creates a supercool vortex inside your machine that's better than LN2.

Leave your case open and look at the fan when you play games?

TN panels

Time to get IPS

any software or other difference except for price/performance ratio between amd and intel, only had intel.

Can a PSU that runs all sata power through the same cable kill all but one HDD? I have a bad PSU, and I was testing my components on my friend's brand new one. After switching the connections, only 1/4 of my HDDs, all on the same cable, work. I removed them and tested them individually and they're dead. Wtf happened?

it shutdowns in 10 sec or less.... doesn't seem the fan getting faster

Only when playing games?
Check connection.
Make sure your GPU is properly connected.
If not RIP

Is it a hard shut down or is it a reboot?

Hard. Totally shutdowns and cannot be turned on for few minutes
Only when playing games that are close to recommend system. So a Starcraft or Diablo 2 runs without problem. But Serius Sam HD encounder or Dawn of War 2 auto hardshutdowns the machine.

Oh yeah, it seems only game. When using Autocad i didn't encounter this problem.

rip in pieces

I got two USB 2.0 cables in my case but only one connector in my mobo. How does this work. Does it matter?

Well, just connect one and only that one will work.

What should I do if u want them all to work? This was a fairly expensive mobo...

did you cheap out on the case? it should have more 3.0 than 2.0

Sice you have an exensive mobo, it should have at least 2X3.0 connectors.

~~things~~ n stuff

[spoiler]how bout this[/spoiler]

There seems to be plenty of "22 IPS panels at $100. Do you think they're worth as a quick upgrade? (to a five year old "22 TN). I'll get something nicer later on.

Yeah I got some 3.0 and some 2.0

I personaly cant fucking stand TN.

I wish OLED get's the color loss and oversaturation issues controlled when they hit mainstream audience, so I can pick a pair up.

you have to go back
>>>/8ch/

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7HN5EG0785&cm_re=Internal_USB_Hub-_-17-116-035-_-Product

it seems my no name power supply is kind of dead or something. After looking tho everything.

What's a a good toolset to build a pc?

All my case fans got these pin connectors. I don't really understand how to deal with them.

Either to the back of the case (preferred) to get that hot air OUT or up.
If you blow it down, you're just blowing hot air down on your GPU, and if you blow it to the front it will fuck up the airflow of the whole thing

You plug them in something like this (but not the CPU fan one)
Sometimes it's 3 pin instead

Lucky that your hardware isn't damaged.

I need a ips 1080p display that wont make me remorse buying it.

Any ideas?

>this goy thinks Intel(R) will lower the prices

But the cables got pins pointing outwards as well. They aren't like the cpu fan cables. Sorry for the stupid questions user. I'm almost done building my computer.

The pins in the first picture are for daisy-chaining fans together so you can use less mobo pins.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824009484

Is that so ? There is some cables that already is chained and but they all end with these cabels that got the pins sticking out of them. I'm going to run a game to see if they only spin under heat, but i don't think thats the case. I was also not able to find the LED cable for some reason..
This is a new case that costed a lot of money. You would think that everything was just to plug into the mobo...

I have 29UM67-P and it's bretty gud