SCSI hdd - why so heavy?

My PC still has SCSI drives. Each weigh a ton more than a current SATA HDD. Why? The drives are 15k rpm server drives. Are they heavier because of the beefier motor or are they actually built to last longer?

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/extreme/233358-seagate-unveils-the-worlds-largest-ssd-60tb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have you filled them with data? Try deleting some unnecessary files to lighten them up.

SCSI is a dead interface bro. 15K HDD are extinct.

SSD media completely rapes their shit even budget models using SATA interface.

Spinners only existed because they are still cheaper and denser for bulk data storage.

HDDs have more predictable performance in enterprise, so your argument is invalid

No, HDDs are just cheaper and denser than SSD media.

That's why still exist in the enterprise world. It has nothing to do with performance. HDD performance have far less consistent then SSD media.

Once solid-state media reaches price and density polarity to spinners. HDDs will go the way of floppies.

Did their weight break your wrist you fucking faggot?

>HDD
>denser

extremetech.com/extreme/233358-seagate-unveils-the-worlds-largest-ssd-60tb

Seagate makes SSDs now?

>Once solid-state media reaches price and density polarity to spinners. HDDs will go the way of floppies.
lol they achieved those profit margins years upon years ago
and have far larger storage capacity limits as opposed to HDDs
retailers are just milking retards because volatile flash memory is somehow easily overpriced and sold to morons who don't know any better

More thermal mass and/or better build quality to support the internal mechanisms to a higher standard.

SCSi is far from dead. SAS (Serial Attached SCSi) Is very, very widely used. And will be for many, many years to come.

NVMe and Optane is what will end-up killing SAS. SAS will die as soon as spinner go the way of floppies.

It still has to reach price parity though

Yeah, someone looking at a workload going for a few million IOPS won't even consider HDDs regardless of their price.
Then you got companies that don't even give a shit about price and use these things for storage.

>saying this while tape storage still exists

They're heavier because of the shrapnel armor.
Ever seen a disk shatter while being spun at 15,000 revolutions per second? Those fragments are moving very fucking fast.

Tape is still the best medium for back-ups and archival data storage because it is cheap, dense and doesn't lose its data because you look at it funny.

And HDD is still the best medium for being inbetween the slow, dense archival tape and the fast, light SSD.
That's not going to change any time soon. NVMe and Optane introduce faster, more expensive, high level storage but for big data or supercomputer environments you are still going to need petabytes of fairly fast access storage below that.

>mfw reading this while having a 15k rpm SCSI HDD 1ft away from my dick

>SCSI = SAS / 15k still alive
Problem with SSD in the enterprise is its damn expensive. Consumer TLC or MLC don't have the longevity needed on busy enterprise systems where spinning disks do.

the original long scsi ports and the sata compatible new scsi ports are different things.

Try to install gentoo that might help.

Not even kidding, I thought my Wii controller got heavier when I stored Miis on it

>Are they heavier because of the beefier motor
yes
>or are they actually built to last longer?
yes

SCSI is hot-swapable. Good luck trying to achieve that with an SSD.

maybe if you have your sata set in IED mode for whatever reason

lots of platters man

scsi was for enterprise = lots of data = moar platters = expensive

you know that SAS SSD's exist right?

>SCSI is a dead interface bro.
The original parallel SCSI interfaces are dead, but the SCSI protocol lives on in SAS, UASP, iSCSI, FC, etc.

>15K HDD are extinct.
15K SAS drives are still being produced and used today, although only in the 2.5" form factor.

>SSD media completely rapes their shit even budget models using SATA interface.
Wrong. SAS SSDs can reach speeds of over 12gb/s with the third revision.

I thought because they have multiple plates

It's clearly because the higher spindle speeds increase the rotational velocidensity.

post pics of your pen*s on hot scsi disk please (nohomo)

u320 drives is still in use in legacy products, bank servers ect that people are too scared to upgrade from. New-old stock can go for some great money since they're rarely available now

15k drives don't use the glass-based platters, they're all some type of aluminum alloy. That has 0 chance of going thermonuclear at 15k. The leading edge is only going 130ish mph.

SSDs are perfectly hot-swappable. Some of the pins are shorter to detect disconnection.

ATA was about encapsulating SCSI commands and sending them over IDE cables. SAS is basically a full duplex SATA with longer cables. Everything storage is SCSI one way or the other these days.

the kinetic energy of the 15000 rotations per minute make it heavy

i like how it's pronounced "scuzzy"

You know... tape storage still does exist.
Plus everyone looks at the cost when thinking about storage in enterprise.
It is difficult to even convince those fuckers to use flash-cache and shit like that.
In my workplace (large storage server manufacturers) we still don't have proper tools to imitate failures of SSDs with nvme (just a rough script we did on our own).