/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598-cs
audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
amazon.co.uk/d/PC-Headsets/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4-Mac-Mobile/B00JJNQG98
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00LP3AMC2/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is there any audible difference between DAC X6 and Schiit stack?

Help me decide Sup Forums

E-Mu Teak, Fostex TH-X00, or HE-500 (used)

Best earbuds to buy that aren't super expensive, have great sound quality and don't dig into ears?

It's hard to answer this without objective measurements of both, but probably not.

X00 for that clean nigbass.

Would shallow-insertion IEMs be OK? Earbuds typically completely lack bass.

How do you know if your headphones are underpowered?
Does an amp only increase loudness or does it increase signal strength?
(Those are 2 seperate things, right?)

>How do you know if your headphones are underpowered?
They don't get loud enough. That's it.

That would be fine.

What's your price ceiling?

Wood is generally a poor choice of materials for headphones as it's generally more resonant than polymers.

I'm not sure what else to get. my SHURE SRH840 is a few years old and working fine but it might kick the bucket any time.

what should I get as a precautionary replacement? studio monitoring, musician.

$120-130USD

The thing that almost always breaks on headphones is the cable. Yours has a detachable cable so I wouldn't worry about it breaking.

actually, SHURE SRH840s are kind of notorious for having the plastic hinges break after a while. Mine broke and I had to use some plastic epoxy to fix it.

yeah it still works, I like it, and I'm blindly brand loyal to SHURE now but I'm just curious what else I can get.

>Budget
Anything below $300
>Location
Canada or USA(can ship them to family)
>Source
Audio Jack
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very important.
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones

>are kind of notorious for having the plastic hinges break after a while
Oh, like DT770/880/990.

AKG Q701. Wonderful open air headphones. Remove the bassport seal if you want nigbass. 190 on eBay.

Ath-50 if you want a sealed can. Great sound for around 110.

>closed
>neutral
Good luck.

K612 > Q701/K702
ATH-M40x > ATH-M50x

>listening to harman curve equalized cans after years of flat bass only
Feels dirty, man.

To snap or not to snap; the headband or the hinges. That is the question.

DT250.

Fuck, I completely forgot about the DT770's underappreciated, vastly superior cousin. Yeah, get those.

Hello /hpg/ I want to buy over ear headphones which don't require an amp sound good and are reasonably priced.

What is Sup Forums approved other than Ath-m50x

>M50X
>Sup Forums approved

SHP9500 or HD558

Need more info than that

OK but what is Sup Forums approved?
My budget is =< $150
>shp9500
I'm not buying Philips shit
>hd558
I will look into this.
What info do you need?

HM5

M50 has not being Sup Forums approved fora few years now, user.
Anyway, try to fill the form on Op, it helps given suggestions, also, be aware that we are getting massive shitposting latelly, so just write down any models people might recomment here and go research on them for yourself, otherwise you will get caught in a "it's perfetct/it sucks hard" cycle.

Open or closed and sound signature help.

>not buying Philips shit
What's with the hate? X2 was pretty popular around here not long ago.

More info
Budget
=Location
Sent ;)
>Source
??
>Type of headphone
Over ear headphones
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
High for lots of usage and long listening sessions
>Sound signature
Neutral?
>Past headphones
First fair. I also own a MEEAUDIO M6 Pro which I swear by

Er4s

the isolation on these is better than bose's top of the line model from my personal experience (using triple flange tips)

>/hpg/ hates the DT 880
Eh, I've had mine for years anyway. Should I just trade them in for the HD 600? Anyone else with experience with both? I'm kinda in the mood for something different anyway.

Spend $50 more on DT250 80 ohm.

Closed senn 598 cs or DT770

>>Location
>Sent ;)
>>Source
>??
>>Comfort level
>High
>>Past headphones
>Ear dildos
You sound like a newfag normie cuck. At least tell us your location and your source, user.

Had experience with both, what do you want to know exactly?
Don't take that "/hpg/ hates X" seriously though, lot's of shitposting here lately.

Depends on what you like; they're pretty much polar opposites.

HD600 are a lot more accurate. If you do go that route listen to them a lot until you get used to them. Any new headphones may sound wrong if you're used to one headphone too much.

No amps pls n thnxs
Pretty pricey shit user
I have a entry level chinkshit dap that can also act as a DAC so that's what I plan to use as my main listening device

DT250 80 ohm won't require an amp. The 250 ohm ones will. They're the only closed headphones I can think of close to your price range which are both neutral and extremely comfortable.

Where can I get some of these?

anything with similar nigger bass levels to the v-moda m100?

What's your personal preference and why?
I'm one of those joyless idiots to listens to everything, I've always leaned toward the more neutral stuff. DT 880s are about as flat and boring as people said when I was reading reviews, but that's what I like. I've been leaning toward more fun headphones lately though, I've heard the HD 600s were warmer so I wanted to try it.
Okay thanks

>DT 770s
>>$150
At least we now know you don't live in America. Now tell us your country; not your exact fucking location.

Stop trying to help that piece of shit.

If you really want to warm headsets, bump it up to the HD650. HD600's are known for neutral and not warmness

HD 598 Cs are garbage closed-back headphones. Would not recommend.

Hell?

IMO, all closed/neutrals are garbage at the price range, but he wants closed.

Forgot about those, thanks

Fucking summerfags make me angry

>Wanting messy bassy ever
DT770/Custom Studios
TH-X00
Both of these are so much better. X00 being a lot bassier while being detailed.

>What's your personal preference and why?
My main headphone is a DT880, i like how the extra treble makes easier to spot some problems in a recording, makes it easier to fix them (one of the reasons i like the V6 too), i also find the bass to be more pleasing than on the HD600, sounds a bit closer to what i like when i'm the one playing (to be honest i think headphones don't do justice to bass, but it's good enough).
I wouldn't mind having a HD600 as main headphone though, they are closer to neutral overall and the warmish signature is less fatigating, also, imho DT880 has a larger stage but HD600 has better imaging, i find the later more appealing.

Bottom line: try to test it somewhere, if you like what you hear there's no reason not to go for it, both are pretty good can't go wrong either eay.

can we stick to one goddamn thead for once

What do you mean, user? There are only two threads right now and the other one is already dying.

We traditionally start a new thread when the old one hits bump limit.

Butthurt Sennheiser shill made another thread 20 mins late, claiming the other to be a troll thread. His thread still didn't make a difference on shitposting in the end, but at least the got to make his own special /hpg/ thread.

Alright, if you're mentioning warmness on the HD 600 and love the neutral sound too then I might stick to the 600 instead of the 650. Sounds like the move I was looking for, thanks.

According to measurements the HD650 is much warmer, not sure if that's what you are looking for, can't speak much about the HD650 though, never tested it, but i'm glad that it helped to some extend.

You'll find the HD600 warm enough if you're used to the DT880. The HD650 is too warm.

Highly recommend you find a place where you can test both headphones to see what you like more.

Agreed.

This. /hpg/ is fun and all, but it isn't a place I would look for suggestions with expensive headphones.

It's just shitflinging. HD600 and DT880 are very similar, the DT880 just has less upper midrange and is brighter. It's nice how so many headphones exist with so many different signatures. While the HD600 might be neutral, those who want more treble detail will opt for the DT880.

Excessive treble =/= detail

Recessed treble doesn't help either ;)

Looking to upgrade from my Fiio E10k, I heard the OBJECTIVE2+ODAC is pretty good. What are your recommendations : I have a pair of DT770 300 ohms and soon a pair of HD6XX from Massdrop. I'm also not looking to go crazy, maybe like 150$ to 300$

The E10k is demonstrably transparent as a DAC. You do not need to upgrade in the DAC department. If you want more volume/headroom run the E10k's line out into a Magni 2.

Why don't you niggers just buy a pair of $1000 headphones and free yourself constantly fighting whatever sub $250 shit is the best

That would mean literally no shitposting

Because the HD600 are the best full-sized headphones in the world at any price.
asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044

Had teaks
Used they're pretty hard to find, new they're expensive and have little to no customer support
The TH-X00 are going to be much easier and cheaper to buy used, fostex also has infinitely better customer support than E-MU.
With that said, I wouldn't recommend the platform. I have a pair of LCD-3s, and planar bass is so much better than what the teaks/TH-X00 have to offer. I've never had Hifiman, but I've heard bad things about their company. I've heard similar things about audeze, but at least mine have a 3 year warranty.
Hope I helped.

Eh? See what I mean? Literally no shitposting!

And i have the biggest dick in the world

I have an HD600 running out to a Schiit Uber 2 amp while using a Fiio E10K as the Dac. Is there a point or audible difference in upgrading the dac so I can stay schiit with schiit?

Zero point at all. E10K is accurate enough as a DAC where any technical improvements will be inaudible.

It's not bad, but the isolation isn't the greatest.

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598-cs

I don't think you can use the E10K as just a dedicated DAC. I think you're running two amps through your audio chain

What's the best solution for powering both headphones and speakers with the same device?

AV receiver with optical/HDMI input.

audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

It would cost you a bit more than $300, but it's worth it to get something future-proof.

That's what I'm running right now, and I've heard people say that HDMI gives the best quality but I fucking hate how it makes me output a second monitor I don't want to use. Is there any way to only get audio over HDMI? I'm pretty sure there isn't, but that's my only problem with my current solution and I'm autistic enough to want to change it.

PS Sprout, TEAC AI-101DA, SMSL AD18, Emotiva Audio BasX A-100

E10K has a line out.

I just want a pair of headphones for my PC, my old pair broke. Just for gaming and talking, preferably good quality sound and voice. PS4 if it works otherwise don't care. Around the 50 euro mark I guess.

Any recommendations?

I see, my mistake.

amazon.co.uk/d/PC-Headsets/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4-Mac-Mobile/B00JJNQG98

hmm bit pricey but thanks anyway user

That is the absolute only one I can recommend in that price range. You should try checking to see if you can get it cheaper than that on ebay

MDR 7506, K553, HM5, M40X

th-x00 purpleheart

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00LP3AMC2/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

E10K for $36? This might not be legit, but I thought it would be worth mentioning

HD600's treble is perfectly on point with harman's target curve. It's the best treble response I've heard on any full sized headphone.

Some reviews claim the DAC-X6 sounds warmer.

O2+ODAC hasn't been relevant in years, especially since you have to pay extra to configure it to be less retarded and the designer is kill so they're stuck with the design due to copyright.

>REDLANFU
>Just Launched

I wouldn't do it.