Typo/g/raphy thread

You must castrate yourself and consume your own penis if you:
>don't use LuaLaTeX whenever possible
>use only a single space after a period/full-stop
>use any of Times, Arial, Calibri, or Minion
>manually push enter/return multiple times to fake spacing between paragraphs
>manually push tabs or spaces to indent first line
>use any of single-spacing, one-half-spacing, or double-spacing instead of exact 120-140% of point size as line spacing

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomfe.co/tqdrttl.jpg
meta.stackexchange.com/questions/263575/double-space-after-period-obsolete
pandoc.org/
tablesgenerator.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>serif fonts
Into the fucking garbage it goes. You think you're fancy or some shit, faggot? Fuck outta here.

You know you can have good typography with sans serif fonts, right?

You know you can typeset with sans serif fonts in LaTeX, right?

Greetings lay-tech friendo. Learning LaTeX right now from the Luke Smith youtube channel tutorial series myself and immediately I can tell how much better it is than Word. That shit with the bibtex where it automatically gives the citations is made my dick into diamonds.
Also, Myriad Pro + Inconsolata master race.

See.. I'm just now learning how powerful latex is, and I want to write about something, but I simply have nothing to write. That's pretty frustrating. I want to write about operational security or something important like that, but I have nothing more to add to the topic that hasn't already been said. All this power is making me realize how little I have to say, and how incredibly unoriginal I may be.

I feel like compiling a research paper, and I'm not even in school. Anyone feeling this feel?

I would love to use Latex for all of it's features, but it's a serious pain in the rear to get it working with both Left to Right and Right to left languages in the same paragraphs.
Managed to get sometimes going with LYX but it's not comfortable enough

>You must castrate yourself and consume your own penis if you're not a severely mentally crippled autistic piece of neglected shit.
Yeah, I think it would be easier if you were to just drink bleach. You would also be doing the world a huge favor.

Lel terrorist

>LuaLaTeX
stopped reading here.

What's the Sup Forums way to make spaces between paragraphs?

>I want to write about operational security or something important like that, but I have nothing more to add to the topic that hasn't already been said.
You could always re-organise the mess of OpSec-related articles on the Install Gentoo wiki into an actually coherent and singular article about OpSec.

Why? LuaTeX is the TeX engine that is going to replace all other TeX engines.

What's with LuaTeX? Why would I use it when all the fucking online tutorials are in LateX anyway?

>t. autistic retard

\usepackage{utopia}

The source code is more readable this way faggot. I also make sure my lines aren't longer than 80 characters. Fight me.

Pro tip, if you want to use latex, before you start a research year / thesis, learn latex before you actually start because unless you are studying a meme major you won't have time to dedicate towards learning it.

>not just typing everything out in a single text document in Helvetica and screenshotting screen output
>or just handwriting for that matter
also what's wrong with a single space. that's how people handwrite. or Times for that matter

>few months ago
>workplace needed to hire a few new
>talked with the managers about the CVs received
>they said there were a few in formats they couldn't even open so they just deleted them
>ask them if they were in "latex" by any chance
>yes

So yeah, wanna get employed kids? Use formats that people other than Sup Forums NEET sperglords can open. PDF, ODT, DOC(x).

You know what's the worst? Fucking kiddies first hearing about LaTeX and then claiming to know everything about typography, completely ignoring that LaTeX is an ugly clusterfuck with Computer Modern probably being the ugliest font that people actually use. I mean, sure, I use it as well, but fuck you people. Just go fuck yourselves.

0/10. LaTeX produces PDF.

u dingus, serif are good, but

>times, arial, calibri (is sans)
are fucking retarded fonts for retarded people OP you retard don't recommend these you dingbat

>>don't use LuaLaTeX whenever possible

"don't use LuaLaTeX whenever possible"
-OP, 2017

pdf is the only acceptable format to use of those you mentioned

Libre office along with tables with no border is the quickest, easiest, non-autistic way to get the spacing you want. You just got into latex to pretend to be superior and you don't even use it for anything because you don't make any money.

How do I into plain TeX?

You need to distinguish between a document that is supposed to be printed/become a pdf and source code. There is nothing wrong in making your code readable, but there is in making shitty layout in your docs.

I am not able to choose a proper font for Windows.

Segoe UI is not that great to me, just saying.

/vspace{1cm}

Helvetica is nice.

/thread

Don't forget to tell him to /usepackage{geometry}

>typesetting in sans serif

If your shit isn't important enough to get printed, don't use LaTeX like an overcompensating brainlet

He will get an according error and figure shit out by himself

tru

What's LuaLaTeX and why should I use it?

I submitted my thesis this spring, typeset in LaTeX.

I liked that
>it supports pdf graphics
>custom page/float numbering
>easy crossref
>doesn't make me rely on an Endnote plugin that makes it crash every 15 minutes
>that math mode

But ultimately this is all just a bunch of nice-to-haves that I'm sure can be replicated in Word at lower time cost than the learning curve of LaTeX, so what is the actual point of LaTeX?

>if they were in "latex" by any chance
If you don't know that latex produces PDFs as output you deserve not to get hired, although I very much doubt that this actually happened.
There is no "latex" format, such a thing does not exist, it is just plain text which can be compiled into other formats like PDF.

Also if you are sending a CV you use PDF and since Latex produces PDFs there is nothing wrong with writing a CV in Latex.

>math mode
>replicated in Word at lower time cost

Just no. Have you actually tried writing a mathematical text in Word. It is seriously suicide inducing.

>But ultimately this is all just a bunch of nice-to-haves that I'm sure can be replicated in Word at lower time cost than the learning curve of LaTeX, so what is the actual point of LaTeX?

Even if this was true (which it isn't): Why hasn't Microsoft done anything like this? For that matter, why isn't there a WYSIWYG tex editor as part of the libreoffice suite or the openoffice suite?

Fact is, right now LaTeX is the gold standard for the simple reason that it is fairly easy to use and produces the best looking documents.

That was a cute attempt, Sup Forums, but you still need to go back.

>Learning LaTeX right now from the Luke Smith youtube channel tutorial series
Same

Can I use LaTeX without lua? I want to avoid lua because it's shit. Until I find such an implementation that actually works with most packages I will continue using troff.

(External link because your hotpocket blocks* copy /b "file1"+"file2" "file3" type embeds):
a.pomfe.co/tqdrttl.jpg

Change .7z into .7z.jpg
You're welcome.

(*You guys should check out steghide. I think more images uploaded here need steghide hidden things to protest the no-embed rule. Triple bonus points if the content is highly illegal, and embedded into fresh dank memes so they spread.)

(External link because your hotpocket blocks* copy /b "file1"+"file2" "file3" type embeds):
a.pomfe.co/tqdrttl.jpg

Change .jpg into .jpg.7z [[FIXED]]
You're welcome.

(*You guys should check out steghide. I think more images uploaded here need steghide hidden things to protest the no-embed rule. Triple bonus points if the content is highly illegal, and embedded into fresh dank memes so they spread.)

[[DELETE LIMIT? I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ANYMORE. NO EDIT BUTTON == REPOST SPAM. I HAVE 500 STARKEKS AROUND SO TRY BANNING ME.]]

>Use only a single space after full stop
Wait, what? Sorry for my ignorance but how much space should you use?

I don't get this post, what does this has to do with latex?

>Change .7z into .7z.jpg
Why?

kill urself

It used to be the standard to use two
meta.stackexchange.com/questions/263575/double-space-after-period-obsolete

>use tikz to draw trees xDD
Don't fall for the meme, go for forest instead.

Eat shit double spacer. Enjoy your hideous text with fucking gaping potholes everywhere.

pandoc.org/

If you want to write in something like Markdown, AsciiDoc or reStructuredText (for "source code" that is also readable as plaintext) while still taking advantage of LaTeX typesetting/templates for PDF output, this program is perfect, and it's written in Haskell for extra Sup Forums points.

>double period
Every OS since 1990 has handled this appropriately without you needing to hit space twice.

>used to
Yeah on typewriters and gurm's DOS Wordstar.

>Not using vim to edit LaTeX while it renders in your mind

Amateur.

Glad that I learned about LaTeX before starting my master thesis. I shit you not some people wrote +60 pages on word. I can't imagine how they maintain all that shit. Anything higher than 5 pages on word makes me confused to shit.

What is the best IDE for LaTeX?

Surely you mean \usepackage{tikz}

You just define the paragraph spacing as the height and build a tree. As an added bonus you can add custom borders around your paragraphs!

do none of the listed.
my penis is safe.

You are an autistic sperglord if you use LaTeX exclusively. Literally no reason to use it for everything.

>don't use LuaLaTeX whenever possible
LaTeX only.
>use only a single space after a period/full-stop
I'm not a USA-ian.
>Times, Arial, Calibri, or Minion
Times and Arial are okay, don't know the others.
How can you distinguish at a glance when a new section begins?
>manually push tabs or spaces to indent first line
>using indent

>use any of single-spacing, one-half-spacing, or double-spacing instead of exact 120-140% of point size as line spacing
single spacing only

i am using caslon antique am i cool yet?

Oh, that's interesting.

Is there a better alternative to bibtex for bibliography management?

I used to do XuLaTeX for eveything for everything in college until I got fed with having to memorize the exact name of my over 30 or 40 .bib files I need for references per paper.

The only reason I use Word now is Zotero's search function. I can just type something from the title, or author or abstract and I'll get the reference I'm looking for inserted.

Is there something I'm missing from BibteX? Because as it is, it's practically just a hyperlinking service.

How do I use vim-live-latex-preview? I have it in my bundles folder (Pathogen) I can't seem to actually get it to work.

>you must castrate yourself if you "..."

You can't read.

Look into BibLaTeX, it's like what BibTeX should be.

Remember to use the Biber backend as well for all the features.

I use a combination of rst, custom themes, and some LaTeX. pure LaTeX is too autistic for me.

Name 3 use cases where a Microsoft PoOffice product is better. Excel does not apply.

So, you are telling me I should learn LaTeX to write my thesis?

>Excel does not apply

Sure, exclude the thing that has a million use cases that linuxfags like yourself go so far as to emulate Windows in a VM just to get Excel to work. And LibreOffice and OpenOffice don't offer nearly the same spreadsheet capabilities as Excel.

Excel is the one thing that totally trumps not only the freetard "solutions" but actually also trumps LaTeX. Although it should be said that LaTeX was never intended to do spreadsheets

>I used to do XuLaTeX for eveything for everything in college until I got fed with having to memorize the exact name of my over 30 or 40 .bib files I need for references per paper.
your editor should be able to help you with autocompletions. if you use sublime text look at LaTeXTools. See pic related.

Biblatex is nice and you should try and use it if you can (some of the more obscure citation format styles aren't supported), but having a bunch of bib keys and not being able to memorize them has nothing to do with the typesetting engine or the bibliography engine or any of that.

i hate office but having to caveat your own retarded demand makes you the obvious faggot in the interaction.

Latex can be learned by any english speaking person in a few hours so the time investment argument is bullshit.

The math mode in word is close to identical to latex, the only difference is latex is easier to edit, where word requires you to type it again.

The reference system is really good though.
Having content distributed into several files makes it harder to share, but much easier to work with and it is not like sharing it is impossible.

you should absolutely learn latex to write your thesis for a number of reasons:
- subfile compilation in latex is much, much easier than working with a bunch of different word documents (you can have a latex document that compiles perfectly fine on its own that also serves as a chapter in your overall thesis, which will make getting feedback from other people about a thousand times easier).
- typesetting in latex is all frontloaded, by which i mean once you have it sorted out, you virtually never have to think about it again.
- citation management is much, much better with bibtex and biblatex than anything you can tie into word. i have colleagues that use mendeley online and whatnot and i laugh at them when conference deadlines come around and mendeley goes down.
- you can use git or other version control software to manage and track changes. git services like bitbucket and github also serve as reasonably viable backups that also make browsing the history really easy.

i wrote my undergrad thesis in word and (almost) all of my grad papers in latex and the undergrad thesis was like pulling teeth. just the citation management would have profoundly changed my experience, to say nothing of *everything* else.

>Having content distributed into several files makes it harder to share,
just put it all in a git repository or something.

You mean like automatically converting some numbers to dates because reasons?

>Excel is the one thing that totally trumps not only the freetard "solutions" but actually also trumps LaTeX. Although it should be said that LaTeX was never intended to do spreadsheets
why would you even drop in this point? you know that this is comparing apples and oranges. do you want people to take you less seriously, or what?

I know, but this is still "more work" than sharing a single file.
We used git in school to collaborate with everything from software to documents and it was fine.
Before uni, I used word for school projects and we usually wrote sections separately and then combined everything in the end which admittedly was more work.

just like with latex, it's more work up front, but less work down the road (particularly if you adhere to the style of work that git supports). but you're right that there are more things that can go wrong right at the outset, and that can be a huge pain in the ass.

LaTeX + Auctex + Emacs is the best way to work.

I use pic related.

it's always funny when overleaf and/or sharelatex go down around a conference deadline. these services offer only marginally more functionality than you should be able to get with much more robust local software.

why are we so determined to flirt with downtime? we had the whole fucking thing worked out and now we're going back to this retarded shit

My favorite font is GE inspira

I have to caveat it because fucking morons will respond "EXCEL LOLOLOL" and then admit that LaTeX isn't even in the same ballpark as Excel in the same post. People exactly like this fucktard.

So again, name 3 usecases where a Microsoft poOffice product is better than LaTeX. Excel does not apply.

Kile if you are on linux

> castrate eat penis
cutting of the penis is emasculation, castration is just the testes

What about Winblows?

this
>hs reports, using word, half the time spent on formating the 5-10 formulae, putting them in and not making the report look like shit
>college, prof wants us to write reports on latex, brief 2 hour intro, learn it yourself. Never looked back

kile is still good enough to warrant the bloated install (kde for windows)

>emulate Windows in a VM just to get Excel to work
Are people really this upset with wine they do this?
The only area I have found where it doesn't work is stuff related to the clipboard.

Is there a more efficient way for making tables in latex than:
>make table in excel
>copypaste to tablesgenerator.com/
>press generate and copypaste code to latex

org-mode

I am even agreeing with you about the fact that LaTeX is better than word. But caveating out the thing that is sure to beat LaTeX still makes you look like an idiot

Real world says hi, nobody uses you autism bullshit.

Had I not caveated it out someone would have replied with Excel/Spreadsheets like an idiot. Office pajeets don't understand that a typesetting environment isn't comparable to a fucking spreadsheet. You have to preemptively filter them out.

What about helvetica

Word processing: WORD
Typography: InDesign

AuTiSm: LaTeX

samefagging this hard

Can I see the result in realtime or do I still have to recompile the docunent every time I make a change?