Sup Forums's thoughts on personal cloud storage drives? What are some reliable ones/brands?

Sup Forums's thoughts on personal cloud storage drives? What are some reliable ones/brands?

It's shit
Just get a NAS instead, either a decent new one or a good used one

Why get this instead of an old used server?

>personal cloud storage drives
what the fuck is that?
a networked hdd?
exactly. what is the difference?

doesnt "cloud" mean it's on the internet and not a personal drive?

Just get NAS.

Shit.
Personal cloud drivers is just a NAS, and those ones you find in department stores (like OP Pic) only have 2 drives. You can only do RAID0 (shit) and RAID1 (shit).
Save your money, build your own server or buy a 4+ bay Synology/QNAP

Wtf? Isn't that just running your own server?

$300 gets you a 72GB RAM Dual Xeon x5650 R710 that will cost between $6-$12 a month to run in electricity. Get the LFF for 6 drives or 2.5" for 8 drives.

Don't buy any of the buffalo products. Get a Synology instead, they are expensive but worth every penny

>be me, got buffalo Livestation 2tb
>filled to the brim with Blu Ray tv shows
>power goes out, try to turn it on and nope.jpg drive is not on the network
>mfw drive firmware got corrupted because of the power surge

UPS

What does the world's largest package delivery company have to do with that?

setting aside the 'cloud' meme it's a reliable network storage device. i've got 2 which i use to automatically backup all my personal files, os images, and store all my home network media content (for use with a plex server).

I do believe that you're just ignorant of what it means so I'll explain, UPS in the technology world means Uninterruptable power supply, not United Parcel Service. As a U.S.P.S mail carrier I initially shared your thoughts as to what it meant.

i use a buffalo WZR-600DHP and synology DS116 and am really happy with both

That's a router not a HDD w/ethernet port

Wrong UPS.
UPS keeps the NAS on after a power surge / power outage so that the NAS can properly shut down. Pretty neat devices, and could've saved your buffalo.

I'm going to hop on this tread real quick
Here's my plan:
>get small 2 drive raidbox, set up as mirroring
>get a pair of 2TB HDD for it
>get a raspi to run private cloud server, considering ownCloud, open to recommendations though
>put the whole shebang on my UPS
Thoughts? I got a bunch of extra google drive space for from my phone awhile back, and it ran out recently. I don't feel like paying for someone else's storage space when HDDs are so cheap these days.

Remember that the rPi has a shared bus between the USB and the ethernet, everything will be painfully slow

>uninterruptible power supply
For those wondering. Basically a backup battery pack.

What's shit about raid1?

Some have a tidy house and want to invite friends over.
Not anyone is willing to have such a nasty cum rack of an old server in his living room.

Thats why some want to use wd mycloud.

I'll second this and add on, do not buy WD unless you are a "typical unintelligent average consumer". Their devices are tailored to that user. Go synology if you want a real nas.

wouldn't it be simpler to get a 2-bay nas that can do owncloud?

I hate fucking 2.5 drives as someone who pretty much has only 3.5 drives. My current servers are old ass 9th gen dells, and im a europoor so it seems to be much harder to find a more modern server for reasonable cost, and everytime I find one it has fucking 2.5 slots, reeeeeee. If I can't find one with 3.5 slots I might as well not buy it as I still need to run at least one of these old shits which can do other jobs too so a newer one would be a waste of money and power
Why rack server manufacturers these days hate us who have 3.5 drives

Is there anything else that would be better that uses roughly the same amount of energy?

there's like a billion cheap ARM SoCs

>ARM SoC
Thank you :3