/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UaoLs-Qowf4
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-j-r/th-x00-mahogany-massdrop/
en.goldenears.net/5351
en.goldenears.net/21225
en.goldenears.net/13934
en.goldenears.net/4490
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Holy fuck, user. At least find a new anime OP.

*snap*
Oh shit, which one of you was that?

The classics are nice once in a while, too. This goes for a lot of things.

Sorry user, I think I bent my Senns a bit too far.

Yo, I live in a shitty 3rd world country, searched everywhere and everything I find is the sony zx100/300 some philips shit, some overpriced yamaha and the akg k 52, should I go for some sony ones? Anyone has any experience with k52? Also, will use them to play games and watch may

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Miya-miya a cute. A cute!!

Ah man, it happens. But shit lucky for you everything is modular with the HD600! Only $90 for a new headband.

How do you girls deal with the wait for your packages?

Sleep 'till it arrives.

By riding the CC, of course.

>Budget
$300
>Location
USA
>Source
Magni
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Is anyone going to put uncomfortable here?
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
KSC75, DT880

Looking for a replacement for my DT880; its stress relief failed and the cable came clear out of the can. Would prefer something with a detachable cable to prevent this from happening again, and would prevent something with much less harsh sounding treble. My KSC75 honestly sounded better than the DT880s but I've been using the DT880s because they're way more comfortable and the KSC75 hurt the top of the ears after a while.

>$300, open, full size, neutral
This is the right timing for HD600. They're

Do the headband mod for your KSC75. Literally no need to spend hundreds of dollars on retarded memephones, just use EQ.

DT880 is completely modular and can be repaired.

If you want to buy a new headphone I recommend the HD600 (also completely modular).

>Looking for a replacement for my DT880; its stress relief failed and the cable came clear out of the can.
pics?

>its stress relief failed and the cable came clear out of the can
>harsh sounding treble
You're definitely not the first to report these issues with the DT770/880/990. HD600 is the perfect solution for your needs.

Pics or I'm calling bullshit.

Whoa man looks like everyone is recommending the HD600. I better get it. Thanks guys! I'll be sure to buy it.

[thank you ranjesh, 15 cents have been deposited into your account]

see:
I call bullshit, this is falseflagging. Post your broken DT880 so we know you're aren't shitposting/shilling.

No shit it's falseflagging. Sennshills are pathetic and stupid.

(I'm one of these recommenders)
Honestly, I'd put it on the amazon cart (protects price for a few hours) and go watch some youtube HD600 reviews. Buy with confidence, not just because it's popular in Sup Forums (well deserved imho, but you really should doublecheck).

Idol trash going to sleep. Good night user.
youtube.com/watch?v=UaoLs-Qowf4

DELETE THIS

Wait a minute, user... Are you trying to fool me into buying those "fancy" headphones again?

Official Pajeetphones manufacturer: mudheiser

Not only do the sound like POO, they smell like it too!

WTF?! Buy a pair of AirPods, you shitting stret pajeets! My god, they're more headphones than you'll ever need!

>wireless headphones that don't even stay in your ears
Whoever thought this was a good idea?

>Lose an Apple AirPod
>Have to buy another one
>Profit
This is almost a nice as the modular system Sennheiser did with their HD 6X0 headphones.

OK

What's the second best headphone in the world behind the HD600?

HD580.

Buy chinkphones from Aliexpress.

>its stress relief failed and the cable came clear out of the can.
The fuck is everyone doing with their headphones? The only headphones that EVER failed on me in any way are chink IEM's..
Call beyerdynamic and tell them to replace the cable and mod it to take a 3.5mm so that this doesn't happen again. Invest the rest into a second pair if you feel like you still need to.

>Topping D30 & A30 massdrop
>7 hours left
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on chinkshit guys. I probably don't even need the amp yet but fuck I just want to buy these and never worry about DAC/amps anymore. The small amounts of discussion I've read seems to say that it adds nothing to the sound which is great.

I don't know why I'm hesitating. It's only $185 for the stack, and I don't want the schiit stack because snake oil and their product(s) breaking headphones thing.

pic related (the guy switched out the opamps though), I don't see any red flags, not that I would be able to recognize.

Go for it dude. If you get a lemon, massdrop will refund you. The customer service is slow but reliable.

I remember considering a Topping combined DAC/Headphone amp/T-class speaker amp a while back. I decided not to pull the trigger after reading reports that it used a very noisy power supply. Do research to make sure these products don't also have noisy wallwarts.

well the reviews and discussion I've seen (so far) have been pretty positive about it. Build quality apparently really good which is what i'm surprised and still skeptical about.

but the review I'm reading is also saying
>Ok it is not as refined, and doesn’t have as wide a soundstage as some of the more expensive DAC’s out there, but for the price the features and sound really make it very good value for money indeed.
DACs affect the soundstage too? That sounds like bullshit.

Holy fuck the hd650s are amazing. Fuck you all

A DAC or amp could affect soundstage by having too much stereo crosstalk.

>I don't want the schiit stack because snake oil and their product(s) breaking headphones thing
>I don't want the magni 2 because schiit sells expensive dacs and the controversy around the 1st version of the asgard 1
I beg your pardon

>2017
>people still buy useless and outdated amp/dac stacks

usb interfaces were a thing over a decade ago
you know, the thing that literal professionals use to make music on their headphones and monitors

1. Have features not useful to me (mic inputs and such).
2. Not aesthetic.

there exist small variants without extra inputs or whatever

Yeah, they're called DAC/amps. Be they in a stack of some sort or not.

nope, single usb interfaces

most people here haven't even moved on to speakers so those things are overkill for them

man once I get my own house, I'll set up my own little studio with a nice piano and whatever hooked up together.

Link me to one.

And they're still DAC/amps cause guess what, they got a DAC and they got an amp.

Does the HD in Sennheiser phones stand for "Huge Disappointment"?

no, it stands for Huge Definition

Yes.

DT for Beyerdynamics stands for "Dangerous Treble"

What about AKG's K?

damn...

>Budget
0 - 150 USD
0 - 300 AUD

>Location
Melbourne, AU

>Source
phone, bluetooth. choice is good, so a wired optioned bluetooth would be preferred

>Type of headphone
over ear

>Open or closed
closed

>Comfort level
very comfy, for travelling

>Sound signature
neutral

>Past headphones
pic related

I dont mind buying used / pre-owned. noise cancelling is a plus, but if the seal is good enough, then i wont complain.

Kill (yourself)

What's the general consensus on Denon headphone amps?

Huge Disappointment 600
Dangerous Treble 880
Kys 701

Amazing.

m40x

Sony's MDR?

/hpg/ shitposting can do wonders when done correctly

He asked for comfy.

m40x with new pads

This looks really ugly to me for some reason, but I'm looking at the ebony fostex and they look nice.

still
>non-detachable cables without modding

What's the consensus to using wood for headphones though? Cracking/deformation sounds inevitable especially in places with winters. I mean you can treat it like a guitar but that sounds like a pain.

Wood is generally a poor choice because it's generally more resonant than polymers. Sennheiser's extensive research into the HD800 determined that certain polymers are the least resonant headphone manufacturing materials.

is there a plus to it at least? Like nice to have a wooden headphone in a repertoire just for whatever uniqueness that may give? Or by resonant do you mean just a noisy/interfering mess? I guess that would explain my that innerfidelity guy says the wooden headphones were better sounding on low volumes.

I laughed louder than I should

It's most likely that the effect of wood instead of plastic is inaudible. As long as it doesn't affect the usual measurements - FR, distortion, and to a lesser extent CSD - it shouldn't matter at all.

>is there a plus to it at least?
Just aesthetics. Resonance is literally a form of distortion as it's not part of the original signal.

Bass resonance can take a long-ass time to completely decay, as I'm sure you've seen in CSD measurements. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra bass resonance certain woods can create can be audible.

Well I'm not sure if these particular headphones have been measured, but if they have, the CSD graph should let you know that. If the CSD shows an all clear, then it doesn't matter.

One example.

Like I said, it varies from headphone to headphone. It's illogical to draw conclusions about EVERY wooden headphone based on one.

diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-j-r/th-x00-mahogany-massdrop/

>It's illogical to draw conclusions about EVERY wooden headphone based on one.
Of course. That's why I've used:
>generally
>certain woods

There's not really enough data to even suggest a trend, or to say that wood is a "poor choice".

I can understand getting modi 2 uber for the optical input but what's better about the magni 2 uber?

Speaker pre-outs.

at the moment i'm tossing up between the D30 + A30, the DAC-X6 or the Fulla 2

Does anyone have any other recommendations around that price range? this will be my first amp/dac, for my K271 mkiis

It takes external power, not from the usb port, which supposedly makes it better

I read that wrong. It has pre-outs, a different chasis, and more power.

>K271 mkiis
I have AKG K702s and I barely get to 2 or 3 (out of 9) on my E10K DAC/Amp. The Fulla2 will be good enough if it's anything like the E10K.

I'm more inclined to believe that DAC/amp is a whole marketing meme. I don't really hear a difference between my E10K and my onboard audio. Granted I have a newer mobo so maybe my onboard audio was just great in the first place, but the headphone amp requirements that people parrot around are usually overblown.

in more cases I'm guessing some people just like how their DAC or amp color/distort the sound of their music. I just joined the D30/A30 drop myself just to see if I'll even hear a difference.

The plastic Denon D2000, which is a nearly identical design to the D5000, is significantly less resonant than the mahogany D5000. Mahogany is definitely firmly on the denser, less resonant side of woods.

Perhaps one pair was faulty. Or perhaps the design of the chamber changed significantly between the plastic and the wood. You don't know.

Here we have four extremely similar designs from Audio Technica:
en.goldenears.net/5351
en.goldenears.net/21225
en.goldenears.net/13934
en.goldenears.net/4490
The wooden one is the most resonant.

Look at the FR curves. Very different headphones. Again, multitude of reasons for differences.

Can you use the walnut v2s as a desktop DAC/AMP ?

Lower scores are better.

Congratulations on making your e-penis larger, user! Thankfully, headphones are subjective.

Dangerous Treble and Kill Yourself BTFO

>770 recommended more than 880
>770 recommended more than 650
Opinion discarded.

Why the fuck is B&W on that list? What the fuck is this, user?

Fuck off with your shilling.

>tfw no headphone loving gf

>Beyerdynamic shills literally on suicide watch over one user who didn't like his pair's treble and build quality

*snap*

Yes, that's what Beyers do.

Man, at least put some effort into your shitposting. Are Sennheisers this drained on creativity?

>Are Sennheisers this drained on creativity?
>he thinks I'm a sentient headphone

The headband or the hinges; that is the question.

When a snapheiser snaps, it sends plastic shards everywhere at up to 300mph or 482km/h. Snapheiser's don't just have shitty sound, they're a health hazard. Beyerdynamic uses safe plastics which rarely snap and are never hazardous.

>t. Snapheiser
Proof or you're lying ;)

>Beyers
>not health hazards