/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Could wait for Ryzen 3)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with exceptionally good stock coolers. (with the exception of the 1600X) consider using them over any sub 35USD cooler.

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6mj9HN
legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-versus-amd-ryzen-1700x-14-game-cpu-showdown_192508/6
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3knWsJ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HzQ8cc
pcpartpicker.com/list/kQmyNN
it.pcpartpicker.com/user/IAmTheCheese42/saved/dqqTWZ
productchart.com/monitors/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the ETA on Threadripper?

>tfw a few people you know are building computers
>tfw trying to save up for a holiday
>tfw the urge rises

Will this actually make GPU prices go down?
Is this user right about the secondhand ones actually going under $150?

When Ryzen makes enough money to scope Raja out of the hole RTG dug itself.

august

Yes. We have seen that happen post Bitcoin crisis.

(you)

Thanks, any guesses about pricing? I'm assuming it'll be around $900 or so.

3 more weeks user. Better buy some lube.

the EPYC 16 core is $750 so prob something close to that

You need to do better than that once the benchmarks start coming up. Make up some excuses. Hype Navi again. Just don't make it poor volta k sweetie?

Do I use an SSD for My Os('s) and use a regular spinny hard drive for my files??

SSD for programs
HDD for storage

Thanks.

Lads any advice, just installed windows 10, now on start up it just crashes on the blue windows logo every time, tried changing boot order to boot from usb to reinstall windows and it just crashes on the same page, what can I do?

What type of crash? BSOD? Black screen and boot loop? Installed Windows 10 as in? Upgrade from 7? Fresh install? Give build.

Do mobos dump any significant heat into the case? If so, do itx boards run hotter (case cooling aside)?

Fresh install and it crashes on that image, it will either crash on that exactly or may say preparing automatic repair but will still crash,

build is
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6mj9HN

Why are they all holding the non-shielded part?
If they have goggles, why not a respirator? High vis jacket?

GLOVES?

The thing post with no problem and you are able to get into the Bios right?

Mobos do not contribute any appreciable heat to the case, no.
No.

Was about to get an Omen. Then got wind of shit like the pg35vq coming soon.
Think I've decided to spend half as much on a trial monitor I can pass off to a friend if/when I upgrade to something more substantial.

Question is, which should I do a trial of?
IPS or VA?
And, what res? 1080p is probably going to be the only option for meeting the

Install windows 7.

Yeah I can get into the bios fine

You know W7 is getting locked out of new CPUs right?

Wat.

It is a hard crash right? Could be SSD problem. Remove your SSD and install W10 on your HDD instead.

Just managed to boot up correctly, ssd still connected, now updating drivers, anything I should do to check what the problem was?

Event viewer I guess.
It isn't a BSOD so there is no error code we can help with.

Normie and GAMER friends alike decide they all need GAMING PCS, BRO this year, so I suddenly become the designated hand-holder. I refuse to answer questions on the most basic topics that get covered thoroughly on almost any guide in any medium (stuff like, not knowing what a socket is). Always point them to good websites at least. They always get miffed that I'm not their free Tech support but always come back later with their PCPartPicker List

"So is this good for over-clocking? I want to over-clock"
>Why do you want to over-clock
"What do you mean?"

All that happens is they build a $1500 rig, buy 1 or 2 games on Steam (that they usually already own for console), get bored, go back to console. What's weird is most of these guys are Android/PC Laptop people but the minute they sniff a fad they turn into the same "need the newest and the fastest parts for reasons". Makes me wonder why they really have been shitting on Apple for years for being "expensive" if they don't even know shit like: you need a power supply. At least when your mom buys a Macbook she can go yell at the guy at the Apple Store that her laptop doesn't work.

>I want to SLI!
>I want to RAID!
>I want to OVERCLOCK!

It's like the Diamond Ring for liberal boys.

Is this good enough to run modern games at 1440p 144hz?

You are going to need a 1700

Is it still worth to get a 1700 over a 7700k then? The price is pretty much the same between the two

Depends. 1700 is behind the 7700k when it comes to games but ahead in everything else.

Don't let morons tell you otherwise.
legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-versus-amd-ryzen-1700x-14-game-cpu-showdown_192508/6
Here are some benchmarks.

1700 is better than 7700k is almost every other aspects like streaming or rendering etc.

Did you upgrade_
Reinstall. Try using the one from the settings menu first.

Also note that the 1700 comes with a stock cooler while the 7700k does not so technically while they are the same price the latter is more expensive.

Also watch out for the AMD shill in this thread. Make your own decision and do your own research.

Bullshit. The 1700 doesn't perform appreciably better than the 1600 in games unless you're streaming or shit.

All i have been reading always says that for 144hz the higher clock of the 7700k is the best option

>1700 is behind the 7700k when it comes to games but ahead in everything else.
aren't they practically the same in 1440p and above?

Are liquid metal thermal compounds worth it?
I'm thinking about getting Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, but I'm worried it's gonna dry out like Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra does and it's going to stain my cooler.

Read the review I posted.

That is true which is why the shill removed i7-7700k from the OP.

how does this look? forget the shit PSU i already have a 650W

You already have a HDD/SDD?

am i missing something? the review you linked shows 1700x being better in most of the games expect far cry in 1080p.

multiple

I want to have a home computer slave. My goal is good computational power for cheap. The thing will mostly stay at home and wait for me sshing into it to make it compute shit I don't want to compute on my laptop (this is mostly machine learning stuff). As of now I don't want/need a GPU, but I will probably consider it at some point, but not right now. I need:

>16 GB of RAM at least
>Reasonable Linux compatibility
>HDMI out would be nice just in case
>Should have a small (~128 GB) SSD for scratch and OS, beyond that I will see how much I need, maybe nothing at all.
>Somewhat small in size

I haven't build anything since 2006, but from what I gather, if anything, it got a whole lot easier since then. I have no clue what is cool atm, so please tell me

Yeah but they used a 1700x there, which is more expensive and comes without a cooler.
I know that its just an oc'd version of the 1700.
But that means there will be less room to overclock afterwards.
So supposing i can overclock the 7700k to 5ghz or close to it, the performance difference to the 1700 which can't be overclocked much past the 1700x level becomes noticeable right?

I'm not an intel shill. I love rooting for the underdog both in cpu and gpu.
But when it's a question of money i need to make the right decision of picking the best option

Tweaked my list, anything glaringly stupid here?
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3knWsJ
Summer temp peaks at 25C/77F, not planning to OC at all, tower's pretty well-ventilated and I have the CM 212. I'm good cooling-wise, right?

Glaringly stupid things:
The motherboard is extremely overkill if you dont plan on overclocking.
The cpu could be swapped to a 1600x since it gives similar performance in 60hz gaming and much better productivity.
The ssd is larger than necessarty but if you feel like you want the space then sure.
The psu is too big especially since you dont plan on overclocking. You could be good with a 550w or 650w if you really want to be safe

Just get the Ryzen 7, at 1440 you're very rarely going to be CPU bound.

The issue i've always seen raised though is the 144hz being a problem of lower clocked amd cpu's, not the 1440p

>glaringly stupid
>6700k

Got it in one

i'm this guy

I changed a few things.
But dude if you want help on this board, follow the op:
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?

Without knowing budget or objective people can't really help

It's only an issue if the FPS is CPU bound which is unlikely the case at that resolution except in older titles but odds are that you'll hit 144fps in those anyway.

You're talking about a situation that happens incredibly infrequently in corner cases. At this point I would struggle to recommend the 7700k except to people that primarily emulate certain consoles because they absolutely require high single threaded performance and likely will never scale due to the emulation authors being lazy or incompetent.

Would you recommend the 7700k if you could find it discounted by 120$?

Sure, I guess so at that point.

Okay thanks.
I found a combo deal by asus that gave a 120$ cashback with a 7700k

whats Sup Forums's opinion on ASUS DUAL RX 480 8GB GDDR5 256bit?

if you can get one for a good price, it's great at outperforming the GTX 1060 6GB. Don't pay more than $270 for it though

I guess 2500 CND budget limit since that's about where I'm at now and I'd rather not go any higher.
I regularly play a few stupidly large (60GB+) games with long loading screens and use a few art programs, which is why I want extra room on the SSD.
Monitor is 1080/60hz.
I know I said I'm not planning to OC at all, but I like having the option of attempting it in the future once I'm more familiar, so having a board/PSU capable of it appeals to me and I can accept the cost (and 750 was only like $15 more than 650 so hey).
I'm leery of a Ryzen since they're new and I've seen a couple mentions of them not being optimized for vidya. If you could elaborate on that aspect for me, I'd appreciate it. 1600x also says no fan/cooler. Would the CM 212 cover that?
Thanks for your time user, I was trying to keep my posts minimal but I suppose that's idiotic if I'm expecting someone to go over my list.

Not my first time building computers but i don't think this deserves a thread of it's own.
Does anyone still use fanless cpu coolers?
i can't find much information about them online.
anyone have fanless cpu cooler recommendations?
up to 190mm tall and cannot take up the first pci lane.

Ryzen has no problems with gaming...

If you do absolutely anything more than just playing videogames, and especially considering you're playing at 1080p 60hz with a 1080 ti, i recommend going for AMD.
The architecture is new so not everything is perfect, but it's going to save you money.

If you don't care about money and you're fine spending 2.5k then your build is fine.

But i would still recommend changing the cpu/motherboard.
A ryzen 1600 is essentially the same as the 1600x but it has a cooler and is a bit underclocked. If you absolutely would not want to attempt overclocking then get a 1600x.

If you are ok with overclocking a bit, the 1600 comes with it's own cooler and it's pretty good.

You picked 3200 mhz ram which scales much better with amd rather than intel. so that can stay.

The SSD and HDD are fine.

So in total. 200$ saved which you can spend on anything you want. Do your own research into the motherboard and if it fits your needs.
See if you want to get some case fans, 2tb of storage an additional cpu cooler instead of stock if you want heavy overclocking.
Do your own research into the PSU, i really don't think you'll need the 750w one, but if you have doubts go for it.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HzQ8cc

ryzen is fine for gaming but not as good as intel cpus with higher clock speeds. 1600x gets 6 cores to 4ghz while a 7700k gets 4 cores to 4.6ghz. games prefer fewer cores with higher speeds.
not all cpu coolers support ryzen, it's a new am4 socket. some motherboards support am3 socket coolers. i know that at least one of the asus rog coolers do.

What this guy said is pretty dumb.
It's true that games so far have not made use of multithreading. But all you need to do is go look at benchmarks and you'll see that the avarage fps is pretty much the same between amd and intel at this level.
The i7 6700k is just a dumb purchase. At slightly higher cost you can get a 7700k which has impressive clock speed, and at a lower cost you can get a 1600 or 1600x which have all the benefits of extra cores and extra threads.

I recently bought a 7700k but just because i got a good discount and i've seen it recommended for 144hz. If i wasn't going for this or i hadn't found that discount, i would have gotten a 1600 or 1700. And i do almost exclusively gaming,
You said you do some content creation so the extra threads of AMD will definitely be beneficial.

Is this a good mom-proof build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/kQmyNN

My parents are moving into a new house next month and leaving me their old one. My mom asked for a new desktop for her work, mainly needs to use excel and some company private toolkit to help clients. I'm hoping I can just build it and install what she needs and hopefully she doesn't install a virus since I live and work far from where they're moving to.

Do some 2.5" SSDs run hotter than others? Are there any differences in temps between brands/models?

>The i7 6700k is just a dumb purchase. At slightly higher cost you can get a 7700k which has impressive clock speed
Oh wow, .2GHz is so much more impressive. Just conviently forget that the 7700k overheats without even overclocking it.

Not really.

There is a reason why i didn't recommend it for him.
I bought it because i'm okay with delidding and overclocking.
The 6700k is just a dumb compromise between a midtier processor and a hightier one. It has the cost of a high tier but not the performance

Overclock a 6700k to 4.2 and voila. You now have a 7700k. So impressive.

Looks OK, might want to wait and see if Ryzen 3 is a better option but otherwise it's fine

Yes you have a 7700k for 10$ cheaper.
Except you cant push it to the same levels that the 7700k can achieve by just spending 10$ more.

Lest you want to burn down your house but whatever. The 7700k is practically a 6700k overclocked anyway since intel was too lazy to make any real changes.

AS i said. Delidding and good cooling make it manageable. Listen i'm not an intel shill. I prefer AMD. But i just really don't understand the point of paying 10 dollars less for a lower clocked 7700k which will reach a lower overclock, using old z170 boards.

Aight, after consulting this and some archives, you've won me over. Thanks for the help, user.

Glad to be of help. Pass it forward by helping other people in whatever subject you know more than the average about.

so I'm trying to build budget workstation pc for under 1400 bucks NOT FOR GAMING

mainly for maya octane render and autodesk/cad inventor

I thought about using a ryzen 1700x cpu and 2-3 graphic cards

so I can buy nvidia quaddro's k4000 for 300 each or gtx1070 for 450 each

now normally I know quaddro would be more suitable for those workloads but given how new those the gtx's are I'm not so sure if they still can hold up to them

any tipps guys?

>Purpose:
144hz 1440p gaming. Most likely no rendering or streaming or things that would make AMD a clearly better choice
>Country:
Italy, sadly.
>Budget:
Around 2.5k including monitor.
Currently over-budget because of ridiculous GPU prices here now. Waiting to buy until i get a good deal on a GPU or monitor.

Also i know the rgb ram is not a smart choice. I'll get non rgb if i can't find good deals on the GPU and save 20€. I just really like the look of that kit.

I'd just appreciate if you could glance at it and see if you see any glaring errors or possible changes.
Also what is the recommended ram speed? Is 3000mhz enough or is it best to go a bit above with 3200?

Some more reasoning behind choices:
I got a 110$ combo deal on the cpu/mobo, that's why i picked it.
I like the look and style of the case, and the room for watercooling.
SSD for OS and a few games, 1tb for storage with room to expand later on.

I don't know what aftermarket 1080ti to buy. Pricing is cruel in Italy due to import and sales tax, waiting to see if prices go down a bit or if i can find a deal on a ~700€ card

it.pcpartpicker.com/user/IAmTheCheese42/saved/dqqTWZ
Link

I'd get a Noctua D15 for better thermals for cheaper instead unless you're a homo that cares about look

Check out Acer XB271HU. It is the competitor and alternative to the PG27Q. It is slightly cheaper and might shave dollars off your budget.

For the 1080ti get Asus, EVGA or MSI.

You might have seen from the ram that i'm a bit of a homo. But i'm one of those weirdos that likes the look of noctua fans so that's not the biggest issue
Additionally all the benchmarks and comparisons i've seen show that that aio perfroms pretty well and above the noctua 15, while having a little room to expand to a waterblock on the gpu.
But yeah i'm still deciding and debating on the cooling aspect, thanks for the input.

Yeah that gpu pick is really temporary, it was the least expensive aftermarket when i originally made the list.

Thanks for the monitor suggestion. I'll update the list

>pretty well and above the noctua 15
Nah it's usually very close / or even outperformed
It's definitely true that it leaves you less room for the waterblock, but if you remove the 5.25" bay then i'm fairly sure you should have enough room to put it in there, pic related

>Nah it's usually very close / or even outperformed
Couldn't post both pictures at the same time

productchart.com/monitors/
Here us this to pick a monitor.

Rumor has it base will be $850, according to partners motherboards will be pricey though. Probably similar to the price difference on X299 boards.
One thing to keep in mind is how much less hassle an air cooler is. I personally had an antec H2O 920 and by the end of it was happy to replace it with an NH-D14. Pump grinding issues, water not getting pumped through due to rad placement, etc. With the noctua you should just be able to slap it on your PC and not worry at all. It'd perform 95% as well while being a fair bit more manageable in my opinion.
As for monitors, if you want to save a bit of money it might be worth checking if you can get a good deal on a Dell S2716DG. They're 27" 1440p 144hz TNs (really good TNs) with gsync and go for $600 CAD here on sale all the time.

Sorry i meant to write pretty similarly or above*. Not saying it's a very noticeable difference.
Also the gpu waterblock comment was referring to being able to expand the AIO cooler i picked to allow a gpu waterblock.
One of the things i've been thinking about has been to slowly work on watercooling. Start with an AIO for the cpu. Expand by adding a waterblock to the GPU using the built-in pump of the AIO, that while small and limited, should be enough.
And later on remove the AIO and create a custom loop having already purchased the GPU waterblock.

I think my reasoning makes sense but i also agree that it would be cheaper and just as effective to buy the noctua

You guys shouldn't buy a 7700k right now. Coffee Lake is near with 6 cores i7. Either hold on or go R7 1700.

t. 7700k owner

Thanks had never heard of the site before.

Yeah i see your point on the hassle. I don't know maybe i'm romanticizing the coolness (no pun intended) of watercooling. Plus as i said in my response to the other guy i have this maybe dumb plan of adding a gpu waterblock as a midway step to eventually going for a custom loop.

That monitor here ends up being the same price as the IPS ones, so unless i find it on sale i'd prefer an IPS panel.
Thanks anyway for the response

7700k and 1700 have very different strengths, if you consider one you shouldn't consider the other because they can't be swapped in the same usages

>The wait memes
Yeah I love waiting for Vega so much. I love waiting for stuff so much i got priced out of the entire midrange cause some fucking pajeet AMD shill told me 2 months ago to wait for Vega. Fucking wait meme needs to die.

Just Wait for volta :^)

>Coffee Lake is near with 6 cores i7
At lower frequency and near identical IPC.

>near identical IPC.
What, you expect improvements?

This PSU any good?