/pmp/ Portable Media Players

Personal/portable music player thread /pmp/

Useful Guide(s)
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Rockbox 3.14 released, significant battery increase compared to 3.13. The battery increase was from the cpu scaling patches, which has been available on dev builds for a (long) while.
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics, examples News
• user shares a iPod Mini HDD replacement video • Fighter pilot user wants to listen to Kenny Loggins on long and boring flights, but it can not have wifi, bluetooth, FM tuner or a camera is suggested a Walnut V2 and a Benjie T1 • Astell & Kern mediaplayer looks like a stealth fighter • The Sony A1x/A2x is getting Rockbox support • user's Shanling M2 runs hut and the battery life is short • user plans on replacing the battery on his iPod (read the guide) Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/Xduoo-X2-Music-Player-Flac-Player/32276034517.html
aliexpress.com/item/FiiO-M3-Music-player/32584812322.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Oq6e6fPP2ho
massdrop.com/buy/ruizu-a50-dap
tomtop.com/other-multi-media-video-player-1319/p-v1584b.html
xvtx.ru/rockbox/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4c2u3a/the_xduoo_x3_dap_now_has_a_fully_functional/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

• user compiles list of x02-like players

Had tried these two:
>aliexpress.com/item/Xduoo-X2-Music-Player-Flac-Player/32276034517.html
>aliexpress.com/item/FiiO-M3-Music-player/32584812322.html
Being spoiled by Clip+ for 8 years, the UI and shuffle playback of those two feels horrible compared to it.

I need something to everyday life. Good battery life, good design, can read all my flac and sacd

I was in need of a player and already ordered Fiio x3 before I found this thread. Waiting it to be shipped now. Did I fuck up or is it decent one?

Is the Sansa Clip Plus worth the 50-60 bucks price tag considering the newer stuff you can get for that price?

I have a used fiio x1 and I absolutely love it

bamp

yes, since the new players don't differ feature wise from the clip+ and you get rockbox support with the clip+

Post photos of technology

I think it might be a cheaper option to look for the other players that support rockbox because it will be easier to find a cheap old one. or get a chink player. the clip+ is good, but I don't think any of the other supported players (unless they're ancient, are any worse).

my last living zune. bought it at launch, and still running well.

16gb? I can't find mine.

Worship me poorfags

do you have to use the zune software?

yes to both.
16gb feels very small now.
and i unironically liked zune software back then. now it's a mess if you want to do anything like updating. gotta setup a local server and trick the software into thinking it is microsoft, since they dropped the entire thing.
try to limit when i have to use the software now.

Get on my level kiddo

The software works perfectly fine, I recently did a fresh install of w7 and it still works

well might be my win10 install. had a ton more slowdowns and times i had to end the process

So few GB , but so comfy

it's great but:
>after a while the scroll wheel starts acting weird and is hard to select an album
>when it gets hot and you turn it on it does not recognize the sd card so you need to take it out and put it back in

apart from that it's a pretty nice device

youtube.com/watch?v=Oq6e6fPP2ho

>"new" rockbox release
Yay, now my 4th gen ipod might get a full day of use on the 750 mAh ifixit shitter i put in it 2 years ago.
Also, what is the cheapest per gb storage option for these? i want to get rid of the 20gb HDD.

The battery increase is only on the Clip line.
Cheapest option would be SD + SD-CF adapter + CF-ZIF adapter.
May or may not work.

I still have one of the original iPod Classics. Pics upon request.

Shit. Guess I'm going to get a 1200 mAh off ebay next week.
I'll have to do some research on those. It seems that the 4th gen greyscale is pretty forgotten in the modding scene though.

>W10

Well there's your problem

Best DAP under 100 bucks?

Serious question (pls not hate):

Why not use only phone?

b/c 2big, eats battery, no physical cuntrolls

Modded ipod classic bro, are you here? How many songs does yours hold? I'll finally mod mine on Friday.

Any other modded ipod classic owners?

used fiio x1

Physical controls is a big one. Another is people just enjoying having a dedicated physical device for it. Some consider it nostalgic, others think it's comfy, that kind of thing.

I like mine but after a few months of usage the god damn Micro USB no longer fucking works, can only charge out of it now

Really pissed.

>FiiO X1 2nd gen
vs
>FiiO X3 2nd gen
Is there any point in getting the X3 if you don't need USB DAC? I doubt there is an audible difference between the two in terms of their integrated DAC and AMPs, but I might as well ask.

Also, does anyone else think the X3 still looks better than the new X1? The X3 is just a brick with some controls on it. It's fantastic.

I'm just worried about price/performance compared between the two. The X3 is almost double the cost and I really wonder if it's worth it.

the x3 might have more power output, and there's the dedicated line out if you're using an external amp with it
>does anyone else think the X3 still looks better than the new X1?
Yeah, I agree. I absolutely LOVE how the 2nd gen x5 looks, I want to find a used one for like $150 and have that be my endgame
>The X3 is almost double the cost and I really wonder if it's worth it.
I doubt it, the best thing to do would be get a used fiio x1 for like $50 if you're money conscious, most of the 2nd gen x1, but for half the cost

The amp circuitry of a Shanling M2

>KZ ZS3
>Sony A15, Clear Bass +1

Fuck, it's like having subs in your ears.

I've got a Jelly smartphone arriving in the next few weeks, cost me $75 to back on Kickstarter. With its tiny size, micro SD slot and the fact that it runs full Android I think it'll make a amazing PMP, whether I end up using it as a phone or not

>Jelly smartphone
what

Supposedly the smallest 4G smartphone ever made. Should be arriving late this month or in August. Will give /spg/ a review when it does

I got an old 2.8" phone too actually.
But laggy Android 2.2 on low specs and shitty audio isn't my thing, so I can't really use it for anything.
Also no physical controls, though its inline control doesn't lag like my newer phones funnily.

The Jelly's on 7.0 and has 2gig RAM. The processor isn't specified though so I'm not sure what to expect from that

Give me 1(one) reason why you havent bought the ruizu A50 HD on massdrop massdrop.com/buy/ruizu-a50-dap

I have an old V1 Sansa E200 series MP3 player that needs a new battery (which on a quick check of Amazon seems to be a minefield of batteries with no reviews or with 25% having 1 star for not functioning) and cable, the hardware doesn't support more than a 2 GB micro SD (though Rockbox does if you use a separate device to transfer the music), and it needs to be taken apart for cleaning every ~2 years now due to the scroll wheel. Would I be better off just replacing it at this point?

>buying anything from masscuck

No cameras allowed where I work, so can't use phone

Because the Shanling M1 is superior.
Hell the thing is obviously a M1 clone. The chinks are copying other chinks now.

>2017
>not playing it loud and proud

Why hasn't someone crowdfunded a badass open source PMP project? The components have to be cheap as fuck now and you could probably even build it to run Rockbox natively without too much issue. Both the hardware and software are no issue, so all one would really have to provide is a compelling design…

What MP3 players are people even going with now days that the Clip has been discontinued? Is it just Chinese shit and used Clips/iPods?

Amazing deal on the XDuoo X3 DAP, you can get it at half price for $50.99 with the coupon HXFXDU60. As a reminder there is a Rockbox port available for it.

tomtop.com/other-multi-media-video-player-1319/p-v1584b.html

This post looks like an advertisement.

Not enough interest

删除这个!

Wrong board, frogposter, take your ebin maymays and gb2/b.

Nano 3rd gen reporting in.

>we will never get the zune phone the size and shape of the zune HD.

Why do all phones these days have to be fuckhuge tablets? Does anybody even like those?

Retard here, I have a bunch of music on iTunes. If I were to buy a Fiio player, how would I go about loading my music onto it? I looked at Fiio's website and it looks like the player I want supports AAC.

Every player nowadays supports AAC

Don't have a smartphone

No, I kinda wanted to but it seemed too much of a hassle and expensive (would need 2x 180gb sd card to hold my music) so I just got a clip sport instead. I kinda regret.
Will there ever be a new player coming out that might support rockbox?

>touch screen
what even is the point then?

>Will there ever be a new player coming out that might support rockbox
Literally 10 posts above

I would get it if only it had a longer battery life. 8 hours is not enough.
By the way does anyone know if rockbox will automatically merge the file listings if you use 2 sd cards? I mean the simple file browser, not the database thingy.

Ah yes I actually knew about that one.

Hi Sup Forums, since my Android phone's preamp sucks, would using a Fiio X3 as a DAC for it improve sound quality and volume? I would also use the X3 as a standalone PMP, but it would be great if I could use it to listen to stuff from Spotify and Youtube decently, expecially now that I'm not going to be around home for a couple months.

Would it be better to go for the iPod these days over the Clip, considering the iPod seems to have the best spare parts availability?

You mean the ad for the PMP that isn't actually listed on the Rockbox website?

Also, advices on how would I actually use it as a phone DAC would be nice.

>Would it be better to go for the iPod these days over the Clip, considering the iPod seems to have the best spare parts availability?
No idea. Repairing ipods should be no problem for the average Sup Forumsentooman, no idea about the sansa clips but I think they're repairable too.
>You mean the ad for the PMP that isn't actually listed on the Rockbox website?
There's a 3rd party port
xvtx.ru/rockbox/
I wonder why it's not just integrated with the main rockbox branch.

Pic related
>be me in car with family
>parents getting gas
>plug in and turn on
>put playlist on random
>brother says "hey why does user get one and not me?"
>he has super new phone at the time
>tune out and fall asleep
I miss those days.

>3rd party port from some random Russian site
I think I'll pass until it gets mainlined.

If it works it works, there's a huge thread on it over at head-fi.

Sure, but you still need to go through the source to check for malware, unless they don't provide the source like pajeet Android ROMs.

You're the wrong ipod classic bro. There was another who already made the mod. He chose the sata mod.
You could have gone for 3 x 128gb micro sd.
I chose 2 x 128gb + 2 x 200gb but I forgot there's a song limit, so I probably messed up by not getting just 4 x 128.

?
where the fuck do you work?

Anywhere manufacturing/healthcare/government/boss paranoid about dem spies

>song limit
what?
Afaict if you just use the normal folder browser (not some database shit) you can have unlimited songs, no?

The iflash site says users report a storage limit of ~50000 tracks.

Hm that sucks, I don't have 50k mp3s yet though.
Maybe I should do it after all, I was planning to return the clip sport anyway since the headphone jack crackles a bit.

Anyone got a good theme for the xduoo x3?

Walkman E-series. The thing feels like 50 cents in the hand but it sounds surprisingly good for a budget model, even with the included headphones.

I did a thing.

I have 4 x ipod classic with 22k each + another with aboout 33%, and I've been dreaming of having all my music in one pmp for years.
Now I sold two and hopefully I can merge three if enough songs were in all three of them.
If you have the same dream go for it.

In fact, i did 2 things.

From a review:
>Slow and Clunky Performance - The player takes around 12 seconds to start up. When browsing files for the first time, there is a delay while the player loads the contents of each folder. The delay varies depending on how many songs are in each folder. I sort my music by genres such as Jazz, Rock, Metal, etc. My largest folder is Metal which takes a good three seconds before opening. This may not seem too bad, but consider that this delay will occur every time you turn the player on.
>Intro Cut Offs and No Gapless Playback - This is the most severe flaw in my opinion. Every single song has the first second cut off. This is the same as skipping the first second of each song. Gapless playback is also absent which means an additional half second delay between songs. A lot of the albums I listen to have songs that transition seamlessly into the next. This immersion is completely destroyed because of the delay and initial cut off.
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4c2u3a/the_xduoo_x3_dap_now_has_a_fully_functional/
How the fuck is this acceptable in 2017? My old ass Sansa E200 had gapless playback.

Rockbox fixes most of the problems

That's great! Will use as a OP pic for a next thread.

pulled the trigger on this one

So I ended up with a Walkman E394.
It's clearly a budget model and feels like a plasticy piece of shit in the hand, but the DAC is remarkably good for how it feels. Barren feature set, but as a simple little hunk of plastic to play music it does the job. Not sure I could ever recommend the thing, certainly not at the RRP it demands here in Australia, but it does the job.

half the price and the only obvious thing it's missing is bluetooth far as I can tell.

it's not, you control it with the dial and it has physical buttons on the side

I've got an A series one and it's pretty nice. I looked at the E series and the low memory and lack of support of microsd and FLAC turned me off. Looks like its got great battery life compared to everything else

Because of the local market being basically dead I didn't really have any nicer choices. It feels a bit cheap for anything with the Sony name on it or a Walkman logo on the back but in terms of audio quality there's really not much to complain about. Good simple little player but it's overpriced. And yeah, a supposed 30 straight hours of playback is pretty damn nice.

I'm looking for a portable music player

Not sure what prices are like in the US but I think there's a semi-premium Walkman that fits that bill. Not sure about the expandable storage, though.

Could I use my old phone as a regular PMP?

I have Xperia Z3 Compact just lying around that I usually just use for hotspot on the go, and it also apparently supports active noise cancellation headsets

I really don't mind bulkiness because I always found the regular ipod touchs to be too tiny and thin

That rules out all chink shit.
Only nip and gook DAPs remains.

I use my old fire phone in airplane mode with Pulse player as a PMP. Gets the job done.