SystemD

What's the deal with this SystemD shit?

Is it as insecure as they claim? Then why the fuck are distros using it?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/chiru-no/cloveros/releases/download/20170704/CloverOS-x86_64-20170704.iso
theregister.co.uk/2017/07/05/linux_systemd_grants_root_to_invalid_user_accounts/
theregister.co.uk/2017/06/26/linus_torvalds_slams_pure_garbage_from_clowns_at_grsecurity/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install CloverOS github.com/chiru-no/cloveros/releases/download/20170704/CloverOS-x86_64-20170704.iso

Fuck off.

Because younger developers are lazy shits having no sense of correctness, let alone integrity.

Someone should slap the shit out of those egocentric, narcissistic retards.

>Linking an iso
>Not a torrent for that iso
you disgust me

It's 400,000 lines of un-audited code developed by a company with close ties to the NSA (RedHat). You do the math.

This picture explains systemd.

>Is it as insecure as they claim?
No, it's just Sup Forums being ridiculous. The "bug" that probably got your attention would never get past even most minor testing such as "enabling the service" and "interacting with it in any way" because it would throw a warning onto your terminal

I bought the domain justsystemdthings.com a few days ago, anyone got any suggestions for shitposts?

Reason why distros are using it is because it's superior. These choices are made by people with experience and who probably get paid to maintain the distro. No amount of hippie loser turd crying is going to change this. Every time linux changes we do this, difference is systemd just became a meme. 99% of anti-systemd shits are complete memelets who don't know what a fucking init system even is and are repeating the meme verbatim and won't even know what to replace it with even if it were up to them.

If you disagree, you're more than welcome to fuck off to some hippieshit distro which dies in less than two weeks for the same reason as above - hippieshits don't know how to maintain a distro and they lose interest.

fuck off poettering

>If you disagree, you're more than welcome to fuck off to some hippieshit distro which dies in less than two weeks

Thanks Poettsy I'll continue using Gentoo like I have for the last 16 years

It might be, and that's part of the problem. As user
so eloquently puts: we just don't know. There's too much code running with too many rights.

You have nothing to worry about if you installed Gentoo.

It's positively AMAZING, and I do mean flat out stupendous, how stupid we ended up over this meme. I remember when people were losing their shit over grub2 from grub, taking the role of a windows user and unlike how they see themselves, being unable to read the documentation for 10 seconds to see that if they really wanted to, it's exactly the same except the config is auto generated.

You really have no counter argument except to call me the author of the software. You are a clueless memelet much like a chicken with its head cut off running around. Bottom line is I'm very glad this happened because it eliminates stupid shitty hipsters who don't really care about linux but just think they're part of some secret internet club. What's next, I'm part of the NSA right? Fucking amazing how stupid you are.

By the way, gentoo is and has always been a ricer hippie meme distro, not used by anything important and never will be, so you retroactively beat me to the punch.

PCLinuxOS is the best distro I've used up until now, and it uses SystemV, Void uses runit. SystemD is a huge turd IMO

Solaris made SMF to replace the old init 15 years ago, Linux still a lagging.

Yup in your opinion. Too bad nobody gives a shit about your opinion.

Big distros use systemd because it's the best. Repeat memes all you want, you're still just a bunch of loser hippies.

>systemd is superior thats why everyone uses it, not because everyone just copies what red hat does
>other distros run just as well if not better without it

Lots of people in here care and share my opinion. Your opinion however none of us care about, because your a nasty arrogant shill. Go away.

Its literal Linux cancer. It started out as a broken init system and metastasized into handling logging, dns, login and clock management and it does a crappy job with all of those. The design goal seems to be to re-invent Windows 98 on top of linux.

>everyone uses Windows instead of Linux because it's the best

>Reason why distros are using it is because it's superior.
No it isn't. It's conformity.
And alot of the biggest distroes went for the gnome turd as well, doesn't make it any less of a turd

Yes putting lots of complicated code into a process that can make the whole system crash is a great idea for stable server operating systems just like windows 95 , we too can suffer the ping of death. Definitely superior.

Its all got to do with gnome. At some point it demanded systemd integration. Ditching all other init mechanisms. It was pushed down your throat with no possibilities of alternatives. As most distros also include gnome, then most distros will include systemd.

So, if you want to escape systemd you either need to ditch gnome or go for an older version.

It's the cancer of Linux.

Whenever you ask such things, keep this proverb in mind. It's up to you to decide who the stupid people are.

Mix of multiple factors:
- it paid/bullied/took over critical projects like udev, forcing people to either fork them or use systemd.
- Gnome is huge. Modifying it to not depend on systemd would be a massive amount of work. Gnome is developed by the same people as systemd and hard-depends on it.
- Redhat are part of the board of most popular distros, so they dictate what they use.
- Downstream distro are typically resource-starved and can't handle maintaining branches of half their repos for systemd-freeness.

It's textbook embrace-extend-extinguish, really. The current phase is extinguish.

Funny, i was just going to make a new thread here about theregister.co.uk/2017/07/05/linux_systemd_grants_root_to_invalid_user_accounts/
I guess that answers the op question. lol

systemd has bright goals. the problem is they put an incompetent retard in charge whose track development record is Pulse Audio which is still a bug fiesta after 13 years and avahi which is used by 3.5 people around the world at any given time.

(((gnome)))

(((systemd)))

Fuck off.

Besides GNOME, what other software has systemd as a dependency?

Because isn't insecure as they like to claim. It's only a temper tantrum by small vocal minority that believe in "philosophy" who really is guidelines to create software efficiently given the technical limitations of that era.
I have some criticism too. The developers of systemd have too much featuritis. I don't blame them. I blame Redhat attempt to make linux work like a sane operating system in short time.

It's a tarball that makes working with your OS a bear and serves no real purpose.

>Has to be used by something important to be good
You're not very bright are you?

is systemd the coffee or the poop?

The irony of this quote is that's not how averages work.

Good. This will bring order to the Linux environment.

>Is it as insecure as they claim? Then why the fuck are distros using it?

Are you implying Linux people care about security?

What gave you that crazy idea, when the biggest clown in the Lunix circus rejects security.

theregister.co.uk/2017/06/26/linus_torvalds_slams_pure_garbage_from_clowns_at_grsecurity/

What you expected of a comedian?

I remember that thread. Damage control at it finest.
The bad part of that is that Linus is celebrated and quoted by edgy wannabe hackers.

Linus is a clown, at least that part's accurate. The only reason why his death wouldn't be the catalyst to make linux non-shit is that he's also somewhat helping in defending linux from the SJW advance.

GRsecurity indeed are clowns though.

I'll take a guy like Linus whose got integrity even if he's sometimes wrong over the idiots who sell access to their shitty patches that crash the kernel when there "might" be a security problem.

Linux probably will die for a serious security issue merming the confidence on that kernel before that millenial gender studies landwhales will put a finger on it.

Linus is literally 100% of the time wrong. Not even 0.0000001% of the time is he right. Every single thing he says, every single thing he does, it's wrong. That's the problem. He hasn't even remotely earned the right to have the attitude he has.

I like how you are parodying the people that say that Linus is always 100% right, but come on.

If that were true he'd have been deposed as BDFL for quite a while now.

Linus is often right when it comes to shit he knows like the Kernel. It's when he makes large and vague statements that he's full of shit.

Honestly I don't mind the concept of systemd, it's the developers who are fucking retards.

Kinda like when they hijacked the debug kernel flag and caused systemd to spew out so much garbage it hung Linux on boot.

Daily reminder that systemd will not be necessary if GNU/Linux wasn't the shitfest that it is.

OpenBSD users pls go

word

Well, to make a long story short:

>people (rightfully) noticed linux boot procedure is a clusterfuck
>devs decided to make it better
>devs decided to make it one monolithic system
>half of the whole linux community started to say "this is not what we had in mind"
>devs turn out to be huge narcissistic assholes (inspired by Linus "Fuck You" Torvalds)
>devs don't give a flying fuck about the community
>SystemD is done and since it's comfy and get pushed by others it gets introduced in some distros
>SystemD grows like cancer
>infects each major distro
>gets deeper and deeper into the dependecies
>start to become more of an operating system than what it was intended for
>it's too late, we can't stop it now

That's basically it.
Now for your other question:
>Is it as insecure as they claim?

Yes and no.
It's open source, but it's huge and hard to reason about.
There were sever security holes in the past.

The company employing the SystemD guys is know for being in bed with the NSA. So personally I wouldn't be overly surprised if there are backdoors, but they are probably disguised as bugs for the "plausible deniability".

I forgot the name, but there is a discipline in hacking where you create security holes that look like they were accidental, so even if someone finds them nobody will know they were planned.

Hilarious allegations friendo. Been in the circus all your life huh.

I guess I just like writing patches better than complaining about people who do.

>in the past
From day 0 to just a week ago absolute clusterfuck critical security holes the size of uranus are being found. The kind of fuckups that even undergrads don't do. How does poettering react? CLOSED-WONTFIX

Mostly of these supposed bugs are people complaining because they don't like pottering anyways.

>CLOSED-WORKSFORME

Http redirect to the most recent critical security bug for it

>binary logs
systemD is cancer and it doesn't solve any problems that other init systems didn't already solve (i.e. openrc).

OpenRC didn't resolve any problem that systemd didn't solve before.
Also
>still is employed with sysvinit
>is reimplementing things that systemd has before
All because the gentoo developers are a clusterfuck of muh special snowflakes.

So anons, what will i lose from NOT using systemd?

the nsa

The ability to even.

Time

not using bootstrapcdn would be a start

Time.
Compatibility.
Modern and relatively sane linux.

How do averages work?

then what works better than pulseaudio?

This. Fucking checkmate.

systemD "features" are just bloated crap no one needs. I'll be just fine on sysvinit.

>no one needs
>because I don't need it
Ok, Kevin.

Name something useful systemd does that other init systems don't do.

Systemd IS linux for all intended purposes.

Someone would say jack. But using jack in the way the anti-pulseaudio drones want is like using nuclear bombs to demolish a old building.

Still better than Windows.

>that fallacy
wew

Unifing linux for the best.

>muh unity
Go back to Windows then. Distros don't need to be "unified."

>because I said it so
Go back to your special snowflake distro.

We must unite Germany under one flag.

Unified Germany was a mistake.

You're the one asserting that unity=good. The burden of proof is on you.

>le burden of proof maymay xD
Study some logic outside for that jew Sagan. You can also prove me wrong outside ths stage.

>Big distros use systemd because it's the best.
How is it the best when it is trying to become Windows?
>Repeat memes all you want, you're still just a bunch of loser hippies
It's not about being hippie. It's about freedom of choice. And systemd ruins it by making applications as systemd dependency.

>No arguments
Enjoy that Lennart cock and those security holes.

t. Finn

I actually agree with this.

>no arguments
Enjoy your brokeness

>It's positively AMAZING, and I do mean flat out stupendous, how stupid we ended up over this meme. I remember when people were losing their shit over grub2 from grub, taking the role of a windows user and unlike how they see themselves, being unable to read the documentation for 10 seconds to see that if they really wanted to, it's exactly the same except the config is auto generated.
Are you making the assumption that people here are of one collective hivemind?
>You really have no counter argument except to call me the author of the software. You are a clueless memelet much like a chicken with its head cut off running around. Bottom line is I'm very glad this happened because it eliminates stupid shitty hipsters who don't really care about linux but just think they're part of some secret internet club. What's next, I'm part of the NSA right? Fucking amazing how stupid you are.
How's it feel to be a Zerg, Kerrigan?
>By the way, gentoo is and has always been a ricer hippie meme distro, not used by anything important and never will be, so you retroactively beat me to the punch.
But it does end up as an all-purpose distro with the power given to users to choose.

switching to openrc has actually been less painful than I thought it would be.

>i don't know how the fuck windows works, but I hate it, so will compare systemd with windows

Works on my machine. :^)

>lack of alternatives means product is perfectly good
You're not very smart, are you.

No, I'm legitimately asking. You're complaining that pulse is buggy but I can't find anything less buggy. I would honestly like to know of an alternative.

but grub2 is worse than grub user. i miss menu.lst desu.

alsa is a built in audio driver nigga. don't know why you need a server to handle audio when the kernel can handle it just fine.

>>Gnome hard-depends on SystemD
Pretty sure Void Linux managed to get new versions of GNOME working without using SystemD

So you're fine with everything will depend on systemd? What if Lennart says "systemd will die because I say so"?

Nobody developed an alternative to logind, like ConsoleKit anymore, so they dropped it from their code cause that.
You can thank the guys who are very busy crying about muh sysvinit and creating new distros instead of coding alternatives to systemd and their infrastructure.

There isn't. Pulse had a lot of time and effort put into it, so people reasonably expected it to unshit itself sometime soon(tm) and didn't waste hours trying to compete with a theoretically good product.

>open source project will die because one developer will stop committing
Summer couldn't be over too soon.