Screwing with Worst Buy

Saw this today... you can turn in any old ass name brand shitstained working laptop and get 75 bucks.

tradein.bestbuy.com

We can bankrupt them with pentium 3s

I've got a couple of useless Core 2 Duo 12" Thinkpads that could be traded in...

I will use this information to purchase a new TV I've had in mind.

Your information is appreciated.

Maybe it's time to get rid of my old Inspiron 8000. Broken touchpad, it goes into cripple mode if you touch the CPU, CMOS battery is dead...

The fine print repeatedly says that they can turn down any trade-in they want. Neither the price calculator nor the terms give any indication that they'll give you $75 for "any old ass name brand shitstained working laptop."

This is some unholy union of retardation and astroturfing.

Limit of 1 trade-in per person

Then I'll bring a family member, you cock mountain.

You honestly think they'd be doing ID checks?

like you havent been disowned already

I might take this up, I have a Dell from 2005 that's got a busted fan, shit colors and no battery and I'd be lucky to get $75 for it.
I mean it would take more money to fix the fucker and its not worth it.

they did for me. apparently to take trade ins they have to have a pawn license - which requires them to check ID.

This. Why would they spend $75 on every smartass who comes in their store? They're obviously only going to accept stuff they can pass on to the reseller and actually make money.

there is a big thread on slickdeals. people are trading in stuff running win 98. hence why it is notable.

Hm that's interesting. Pretty unexpected for the yellow and blue jew to cut into their margins like that.

>be a mexican with 1000 cousins
>be the family member that does favors for all the cousins
>nearly all of them owe me at least a handjob or other favors
>buy every craigslist shit-top I can find for $20, install with an unactivated copy of Windows 7/10, depending on compatibility
>roll in those $75 gift cards
>bribe with happy meals and chicky nuggies if they bitch
>buy a baller fucking 4K 80" TV in no time

aw yeah

yeah but you're still a mexican

So?

kek'd

>have outdated xbone 360 that no one uses
>got it for free by switching to a service provider
>hasnt been used in 5+ years but not shitty condition
>mfw not even worth $20
expected more tbqh

>T23
>Your Estimated Trade-In Value: $0.00

Sweet. I'm going to trade-in this purple POS D250 atom netbook my daughter used to use. Almost threw it away recently.

>my daughter
tits or etc

does it have to have an os installed on it?

Sure thing. I'm old and can't into image uploading though. I'll just have them delivered to you. Keep an eye out for the white unmarked delivery van.

some people said the best buy employees didn't even power it on. for me they wanted to see it boot. you should be able to install linux or windows 7 (just without activating it)

This is the type of retarded ass shit a filthy spic would do. I bet it'll be your TV and the fifteen cousins that live with you, sleeping on your floor.

Just install XP or something.

>take in old laptops as best buy
>Give them to geek squad who is in bed with fbi
>Scan them for their data
>Plant gobment malware and release them back into the wild

Not playing in this game

wait- why they owe you handjobs?

Good thing I'm white and have incest for free

You don't know how shitty their mark up is do you. Even if literally every person did this, they'd still make money. This is just a gimmick to get you in the store.

Best buy is going to die along with other tech retailers because nobody gives a shit about holding it in your hands when you can literally save more than 40% even on the shittiest scummiest online store.

Store has the right to refuse for any reason
Also, those gift cards get tagged back to the original transactions.
Gonna get buttfucked at the register if you try it

This isn't about THEIR markup profits.

This is about us neckbeards getting rid of our surplus of cum-coated thinkpads from 2001 for some dank BB-Bux.

>Gonna get buttfucked at the register if you try it

I gave them an opportunity to get a little resale profit off of my shitty laptops. The transaction is complete: they have the laptop, and I have the gift card.

They aren't going to pull a 180 on me if they regret it later unless if they want a goddamn lawsuit.

And what do you think is going to happen? They're going to cut my gift cards and kick my ass out of the store because I'm theoretically letting my family pool together gift cards to buy a new TV for the living room?

This thread is just a Best Goy Jew jewing it up as usual, trying to ram through some kinda viral marketing

user, this is fraud, plain and simple. It co-operates neither with the spirit, nor letter of the deal. You may be allowed to keep the $75 Gift Cards you've accrued from doing such a thing, as Best Buy is not going to pursue legal action to prove you intended to evade the terms and conditions of the deal to acquire multiple gift cards for your own use, but keep in mind that any Best Buy store is fully allowed to deny you service, or deny any transaction.
There will be no lawsuit. If you try to sue them, Best Buy is just going to ram your asshole in by proving you intended to defraud them through their offering (which is to limit 1 per customer). These "trade-in" or "Account Credit" scams are not new, they're very old, and most judges will remember a time when people tried to get their families to sell junk cars to dealerships to qualify for cash trade-in offers, and they will not let it fly at all.
What's going to happen? You're going to present the cashier with a ton of identical $75 gift cards, she's going to get suspicious, call the MOD/Front-End manager over, they're going to look up the source of the gift cards, and tell you "You can use 1" and that'll be the end of it. If you try to buck the system further, they'll deny the whole transaction and kick you out. If you go to corporate, they'll pull the fact you had all those cards, and tell you politely to fuck off, before they ruin your life.

Source: I was the media manager for a District 56 Best Buy.

>use multiple gift cards during checkout online
>Media Manager a best buy can suck it

"spirit of the deal"? no, there's only technicalities.

If I tell my family about the offer best buy has, and they each trade in a laptop, then gift the giftcards to me, this is in no way illegal.

They are individuals just like anyone else who can take advantage of the deal. you are complying with the terms plain and simple. they are individual people turning in laptops according to the offer.

what they do with the gift cards after the transaction is not under the purview of best buy. because the cards are THEIRS. transaction is complete at that point.

I really highly doubt the fact about "tagging it back to the transaction" just because there is nothing preventing any individual gifting someone else they have rightful ownership of.

I think you forget that Best Buy has decided for themselves what they will and will not accept.

the whole concept of trade ins is that only value is exchanged. the idea is that you give them $75 worth of resale value or equivalent for a gift card. THE BUSINESS HAS DECIDED WHAT THEY WILL AND WON'T ACCEPT, THIS IS THE ACTION THEY CHOOSE

and that's where it ends. after the gift cards are given, it is fair game period

>comply with all initial terms of trading in laptops for gift cards, hence the multiple family members
>laptops approved for resale, gift card exchange made, transaction complete
>attempt to use multiple gift cards to purchase a product in the store
>"nope, that's fraud. get the fuck out"

>I was the media manager for a District 56 Best Buy
>I was the media manager
>I was
>was

ok

We wuz managers at Best Buy an sheiittt.
Go for it Hector.

>then gift the giftcards to me
then give the giftcards to me

people trading in 20 year old computers

fucking burgers, I'm so jelly rigth now

kek you are retarded m8, I've done it before, store clerks don't give a fuck as long as the card is legit, you can go larp somewhere else pal

it's like being paid to be an american

>What's going to happen? You're going to present the cashier with a ton of identical $75 gift cards, she's not going to give a fuck because her job stinks.

Fixed that for you.

t. former cashier

did anyone try this today? I need to know if it works

Planning on trying this later today.

I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad X61s and X60. They're bottom line specs, not worth more than $60 if I even sell it right. Luckily, I have a shitload of 1GB/2GB RAM sticks and useless 40-80GB hard drives which are just enough to get it booting an unactivated copy of Windows 10, which is apparently all it needs for trade in "inspection".

If those fags can bring in an old Pentium III for $75, I sure as hell can get something for these Lenovo laptops.

Gonna bring a family member or two if it's just one computer per person. That's not a problem.

Pretty much what would happen as long as you're not buying gift cards most people would get a pass

let us know how it goes

Garbage

not related but i went into best buy a few days ago and they had the rx 580 listed for $380

it looks like this is only for laptops

Heading to the Best Buy now.

Wish me luck, sempais

Update: traded two shitty old X60 thinkpads. I just put in an unactivated install of Windows 7/10.

I got a $150 gift card And a $75 coupon for that's a Samsung laptop. Can confirm, all they did was power it on, look at the Windows boot screen, scanned my fingerprint, and gave me the card. They said I could even bring in up to 3 laptops a day until the promotion ends. I went in alone as well.

>scanned my fingerprint

what

It's for tax auditing purposes. They check your ID and do a fingerprint scan. This is to make sure your laptop isn't stolen. Don't be a Tyrone.

>$150 for two X60s

Noice!!

>3 laptops a day

HOLY FUCKSHIT

Welp. Looks like I'll be trading in my t69 for 75 buckaroo my dudes

>3 laptops a day
>HOLY FUCKSHIT

Shit, I going to start hitting up thrift stores on my lunch break then dip into best buy every evening after work to collect my free $225.

What a time to be alive!

wow that sounds like a great idea

This might vary between stores, because the terms actually say 1 laptop per person.

It might ultimately depend on how few fucks the employees actually give. Try to mingle a little.

Traded in a super old beat up chromebook today. $75 ez.

i wish i didn't fall for the recycling meme a few years ago. i turned in 4 laptops for nothing... just so they wouldn't clutter my house.

As someone who works at geeksquad, I can confirm, when you go to customer service to do the trade in, as long as it powers on you're good, the most they'll ask is to see that it has the specs you're saying it has

have many people been taking advantage of this offer?

Do you guys give a shit about how old the laptop is? Is there a spec-cutoff?

Most I was asked for my thinkpads were just "how many gigs" and "what kind of CPU".

Tbh I dunno, it's not really a 'new' offer, it's been how we do trade ins for a bit now. I don't think people in my area seem to be smart enough to do it? Ive never seen an influx of shitty laptops getting traded in

Like I said the trade in is done by someone at customer service, most likely they won't know much about computers in general so they just need the name of the processor and the RAM to punch into our system and you're good.

Very rarely has one of the people at CS called me or a co worker over to verify that it has what the customer is saying it has, and the worst that'll happen is I'll say yes if it's good or if not I'll say no and you walk away no harm done

I have a laptop that has a dead battery, it will only turn on while plugged in, but still works well enough. Am I still able to get this offer?

mine was in the same condition. i just told them i didn't have time to charge the battery, so the employee plugged it in, checked that it booted and gave me the $75

Will this work if I installed gentoo?

What's your guys' take on a 15" MacBook Pro with a funky internal monitor connection?

The MacBook Pro boots up normally and all buttons work, it's just that a loose monitor connection on the logic board is causing some green dots to appear on the screen. I'm currently trying to fuck around with the cord inside so it doesn't do that shit.

Site estimates I could get damn near $350 credit for this piece of shit I've had sitting in my closet for a year that I've been meaning to fix and flip for profit.

It "technically" works...?

they don't really seem to go through things with a fine tooth comb. employees seem to be only interested in it powering on. Though it wouldn't hurt to change your background to some kind of green gassy field or forest so the dots aren't as noticeable.

Try adjusting the color settings to raise all blacks by about 10%. This kind of artifact usually appears in areas that are pure black.

Goddamnit, now is the worst time to be a not-American. I want to collect free money too ;_;

>implying there are working laptops at thrift stores

Sometimes you get lucky with that shit.

I'm sure beat buy will send our 25 year old laptops to your shitty country for "recycling"

The green artifacts does seem to happen to the blacks on the screen. Jiggling the cord around affects the amount of green dots on the screen.

How do you adjust the color settings to get those blacks raised by about 10%? All I see is calibration profiles in the Display settings.

Good thing the last piece of shit I bought there was a USB drive in 2008 then.

Whens the promotion ending?

Gonna try to trade in my old Dell Latitude PP01X tomorrow. Pentium 4, 1gb RAM, running Debian.

July 15th

cool

I just tried to get my of core two lappy to boot earlier today, but I don't even get the charging led lights anymore. Thing was unused for 3 years since my sister stopped using it in favor of her iPad. Wish I could get away with stealing those X60s I know my work has awaiting the recyclers. Too bad there's a camera outside the closet.

Debian is stuck at a black screen unless it's in terminal. I have no cds to do a fresh install and I have no ways to connect it to the internet to try to update it. Is that enough proof to show it works?

i'd imagine a lot of people would equate a plain tty as being "broken", better get some kind of gui going

some people have said best buy didn't even power theirs on. if there are questions, you can just show the clerk the terminal and type commands that give a lot of output and explain that "it's linux".

let us know how it goes

Best Buy getting raped

what's the benefit to bestbuy? do they refurbish and sell suitable ones?
not at all familiar with best buy, but i thought it was just like harvey norman or dick smith or whatever, which only deal with new stuff

they are certainly losing money on this. from what i gather there are two methods of accepting a trade.

1. BBY employee selects the actual model number of your computer from a list of moderately recent computers

2. BBY employee just enters the specs (brand, processor, ram, and OS) into a much simpler form

The second method is how we are turning in 20 year old junk computers for $75 each. These computer show up no where in the trade in lists for method 1. I have no idea why this is allowed. Maybe that geek squad Sup Forumsentooman can offer deeper insight.

I believe it's supposed to have the original os or the upgrade to
For example if it came with windows Vista, it needs to have some version of Windows, but I'm not 100% on this one

As others suggested, typically they shouldn't take that or not for full value, however if you do some sneaky stuff like change the background to green you might be in the clear

You should be fine as the other user said

Hi friend, yeah that's basically it. They don't make money on these. We aren't going to sell 99% of the trade ins. The only hope for value retention is that the $75 is store credit so you have to spend it at best buy it's not free cash, but they won't ever make $75 off that piece of junk you trade in. I think it's really just another thing to push people into getting a new computer with us.

Sorry, to be more specific, number 2 is more accurate. Usually what they do is try to find a model number, punch that into the system. If that doesn't give anything then just do the specs