OpenBSD has a history of over 60 years of development by highly knowledgable software engineers

> OpenBSD has a history of over 60 years of development by highly knowledgable software engineers.
>Linux was developed by a student 20 years ago.
>Linux's licensing claims "freedom" but is actually very restrictive, requiring developers to release subsequent software under the same licence.
>OpenBSD's licencing is TRUELY free.
> OpenBSD is known for stability - financial institutions, webhosting, government agencies all rely on the rock hard stability Open BSD provides.
>Linux: plagued by constant bugs, kernel panicks.
> OpenBSD's userspace is built alongside the kernel. Everything works well together. Documentation and code is consistant throughout.
> Linux: The kernel was built buy one guy and the userspace was built by a bunch of autistic hippies. Poor documentation and consistency.
> Clean install contains only the bare minimum - stays true to Unix design philosophy.
> Even "minimal" Linux distros come bundled with bloatware (systemd).

Besides it being the most "popular", I cannot see one reason why I should choose Linux over BSD.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mLwn_TbBntI
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics.
kristaps.bsd.lv/absdcon2016/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox#GPL_lawsuits
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney
a.uguu.se/3TbcgrQhcMeI.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>replacing your desktop os with a router os

wow look at all this bait

aren't we lucky

this

BSD sucks. Stop annoying everbody you fucking shill.

This

Unfortunately, both Free and OpenBSD's hardware compatibility still sucks. I wonder how much sony gives back to FreeBSD.
Currently Ryzen linup is barely supported and you have to disable powerd.
My polaris card is hardly supported as well. Of course, I can git compile the latest commits before installing X but I'd still wait for FreeBSD 11.X where all these are supported ootb.

In that case, if I am able to get my Wireless driver working I'd switch to freeBSD

Can we not?

BSD has been easy to build from source forever and the ports collection which makes building third party software just as easy, originated on BSD, while Gentoo is the only GNU distribution I'll use I don't see any reason to use it over a BSD, especially something like FreeBSD where you can use ports OR packages, you're not restricted to source only or binary only.

Not trying to throw shade, just my opinion. I don't hold anything against GNU or Linux distributions, they just seem on par at best.

Post my games.

No but seriously I have a wife and a newborn daughter. I don't have time for BSD like I used to. I need some software that just works.

>Boot OpenBSD
>No networking drivers

Truly secure.

>boot OpenBSD
>autistic partition scheme
no I don't see the poin of splitting the system in 20 partitions on a home system
>slow ass filesystem
it takes hours to install the base system, even fat16 is faster
>boot X
stuck with slow ass software mode on a 3 year old GPU

yep OpenBSD is truly amazing

>Age doesn't really mean anything when you've spent most of the time jacking off doing nothing.
>Linux has had over $10bn+ put into it by billion dollar companies
>companies actually sell hardware with GPL code all you have to is insert a waiver
>you can't spell TRULY, also apple and sony stole BSD for decades without giving anything back, no matter how hard you jack off this is not a positive thing
>Linux is known for - running 99% of the internet, being sold by vendors now
>openbsd's software works well because there isn't any of it
>Linux: Is built by thousands of people making money
>Nobody gives a shit about your hippie deprecated pseudo religion unix philosophy which was made in the 70s on less than 1M of ram, being first does not qualify you to dictate how OSes should be designed forever
>systemd is picked by distro maintainers because it's the best also 2GB of ram is $10

Reason why you should go for linux is because not only is it "popular", it is "the best".

Of course you won't do this because this is all just a game that has nothing to do with technology, you're a shitty fucking loser hipster and you'll kill yourself within 5 years once the pity welfare money stops.

>apple and sony stole BSD for decades without giving anything back
I wonder if people saying this do so in earnest. Apple pays the salary of BSD devs, contributes every year to the FreeBSD foundation, and has contributed a lot to Unix as a whole, not just its own platform nor FreeBSD, not to mention pushing patches back into mainline.

Sony contributes monetarily to the FreeBSD foundation and there are Sony corporate email addresses as well as Sony employee personal accounts in FreeBSD mainline commits. Sony specifically has contributed a lot to the MIPS and POWER branches and released a lot of tools early on around the time of UFS2, they've been a big player in Unix systems for a long time.

In the rare event you're being genuine and not just doing this for attention, I implore you to look into these claims next time.

Thank you for your input, Rakesh.
20 rupees has been deposited into your account.

Yea it used to but osx (now macOS) is dead and no new advances over adding iOS features to it.

They are also not updating a lot of the core utils because they don't want to play with updated licenses so expect a flood of malware targeting this fact in the future

>Linux fanboy gets told
>Best he can do is call the other person an indian

>Linux is n-not a server OS
>LMAO OpenBSD is a router OS why use it on the Desktop? who cares if it has Firefox, Libreoffice and all the applications the average Sup Forumsentoomen uses?

Not an argument, not original.

>used to
Clang is relativley new and still in active development, it's been pretty popular, this has been beneficial even for hardcore GCC users as they finally have a competitor to compete against instead of simply being stagnant.

I'm still mad as fuck that nobody used launchd or a variant but years later systemd comes along and reinvents the wheel and nobody is happy.
youtube.com/watch?v=mLwn_TbBntI

Let's just say this were true. Point is what happens after they are paid - which is nothing. They push "patches" but it's only to help their proprietary bullshit. What did they "contribute", how are they "power players"? These are all just meaningless buzzwords. BSD is still stuck in the 90s, there's no software, no drivers - where is all this money that you're talking about supposedly going. Answer is nowhere outside where these companies profit.

(pretending to) Support any kind of BSD and you are supporting proprietary software. This is not technology, you're just a hipster because linux got too big and mainstream. Please stop posting.

I believe you're being disingenuous with me, as such I'm not going to read the rest of your post or reply seriously to it. If you make a serious response I'll make one too.

It might have software but no drivers

I use freenas and I'm eyeballing pfsense so I don't think I don't think bsd is neat

this so much, for example my AMD R9 290 works perfectly in OSX but it's useless in BSD as per wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics. Apple doesn't contribute anything useless back to BSD

>BSD
>literally one of if not the most used systems today
>milquetoast enterprise business tier OS
>hipster
wat

Did Apple write those drivers or are they written by a third party? Isn't it the responsibility of AMD to publish drivers for their hardware? Nvidia publishes drivers for Windows, Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD.

you mean the same one which has less than half of one half of a percentage point marketshare right?

"muh embedded devices"

Linux also doesn't do this I guess.

You can be a music hipster, this works out fine because it's just something you pretend to do for attention. When you are a computer/tech hipster you kind of end up with some bullshit 80s "operating system" with no software or drivers.

I can't wait for this thread to get big enough to see the "you don't *need* anything past a 386" shits show up. We need to eliminate welfare to stop this.

pfsense is also BSD based.

>avoid my post spacing

Why are GNU users so hostile and filled with anger, you even see them fight with each other.

Ya i know thats why I listed it as an example

Note: freenas is a server os and pfsense is a router os

I wasn't sure what you meant by this
>so I don't think I don't think bsd is neat

I use Linux because it has more support and packages. I'm a developer and that's important for me.

BSD isn't mainstream enough

>uses amd

I never understood how to get OpenBSD to run like a desktop. It's like i've been scaled down to a factor of 128 something-or-others. But everything else about it is fantastic and the sort of people who praise arch or gentoo on this website _for_lack_of_bloat_ would do well to look into it, as the most accessible bloatless distro that doesn't pain the user by making them setup their own sane defaults during installation. (And configuration is easy because the system is tidy.)

Here's why:
* Rust (no, seriously, this shit can't even pass its tests on any BSD, and it's now required to build Firefox)
* Steam and other binary blobs
* Somehow even worse graphics drivers
* vmm still has a fuckton of catchup to do

Frogposter has good points. Sup Forumsentoomen shall remain Sup Forumsentoomen

Never have and never will, all I ever hear from friends and acquaintances are complaints, the person in this thread is complaining about lack of drivers which has been a problem so large it's been a joke around here for years, it's a sad thing to see when there really is only 2 companies making GPUs and only 1 of them actually support them. I hate the phrase "you get what you pay for" but maybe it's true.

Now you won't see me promoting Intel or Nvidia but you won't see me using anything else.

(I did not intend to call it a distro. I just go into the state of an idiot when typing. Polite sage.)

FreeBSD doesn't have these problems. Step it up OpenBros

>Intel or Nvidia
>Needing to pay extra to get firmware to use hardware already there

Rust has the same issue and the Linux compat layer for binary blobs is shoddy to say the least. bhyve is just a little less of a meme than vmm right now.
If you want to do virtualization, you need kvm on Linux, Hyper-V on Windows or ESXi. The BSD crap just can't cut it.

>reddit spacing
Not OP, but please lurk more or remember what website you're on, grandpa

I just finished compiling linuxfromscratch on an hyper-v type2 machine, I have to say I'm impressed by the performance.

>GNU users are hostile
>says this in a thread about how SUPERIOR BSD is
If GNU users seem hostile, that's only because there are so many of them. What's your excuse?

What's the alternative, get all the hardware and run nothing on it because there's no support?

The D in BSD is distribution, I see no problem in calling their flavors "distros". Also sage is inherently polite, it's certainly not inherently impolite.

>the BSD crap just can't cut it
I strongly disagree if we're talking about virtualization. Solaris and now Illumos are dominating the market when it comes to virtualizing at every level, from full on hypervisors down to Zones if you want to consider them in there. I honestly think virtualization is overdone anyway, people really should be isolating more and virtualization less, things like jails should be the standard to strive for. That's a whole side topic though.

BSD is used by Apple. Linux is used by IBM, Google, and even Microsoft. How do you explain that?

>claiming superiority is considered hostile
What universe did you come from sweetie?

Don't let them know that we know, just ignore.

If you're not joking, all of those companies use both and more. Microsoft used BSD for almost everything all the way up until they released azure.

I'll amend that. Why are BSD users condescending assholes?

>asking questions is condescending and bad
Why?
>assholes
There it is again.

>Linux's licensing claims "freedom" but is actually very restrictive, requiring developers to release subsequent software under the same licence.
>OpenBSD's licencing is TRUELY free.
So the only caveat in getting a free OS is you must keep it this way?
I don't see how this is a problem for anyone. All software should be free.
> OpenBSD is known for stability - financial institutions, webhosting, government agencies all rely on the rock hard stability Open BSD provides.
Cool, but doesn't matter for desktop users though.
It is the same as the super computer argument.
>Linux: plagued by constant bugs, kernel panicks.
Is it? I have been using it for a decade and it has been stable for me.
> OpenBSD's userspace is built alongside the kernel. Everything works well together. Documentation and code is consistant throughout.
Consistent documentation, config files and coding style is nice, would definitely want that if I was developing on a ton of parts I just take for granted.
The gnu coding style is so ugly I don't want to be associated with it at all.

>All software should be free.
Cool. That's not how business works.
If you want your code to permeate the business sector to make life better for everybody, you need liberal licensing. That's the reason why a lot of modern crypto code by djb et al. are put in the public domain.

Not OP, and this is anecdotal, but I have 2 machines that Linux is not stable on but FreeBSD is. One of the machines won't even boot on versions higher than 2.x and the other one panics under memory load. Didn't want to invest the time in diagnosing them, installed BSD to see how it would do and it's been fine for years.

kristaps.bsd.lv/absdcon2016/
>Secure CGI Applications in C on BSD

Why are BSD shitters such memes?

>secure C CGI applications
>shitters
wat
would you rather people just use node and shit?

Did systembsd ever become a thing? I'm using logind for something, and I really can't be fucked writing BDSM-specific code.

>wanting the inevitable shitstorm of buffer overflows and undefined behavior with signed integer overflow
>wanting to use no libraries to simplify the boilerplate for you

>I'm too stupid to use C
>Therefore everybody is too stupid to use C
Typical webshitter attitude.

Probably, if not just write your thing and if it's worth it someone will patch the systemd specific things for you. I wouldn't worry about it.

Name any non-trivial C program that has not been affected by at least one buffer overflow vulnerability.

What are you even saying my man, turn the memes down.

Have you heard of this thing called Linux?

CVE-2017-7477, buffer overflow.
We really don't need to import this class of vulnerabilities into the web stack.

I was working on some wayland related shit, and (the possibility of) non-linux support is a goal.
However, trying to manage TTYs and all that shit is annoying, because basically every OS does it differently. If I can use logind, I don't have to do shit.

BSD license is the cuck license.

>I get more freedom from the BSD license than the GPL
fastnig

I was obviously goofing, a non-serious post gets a non-serious answer.

Nice try Stallman but you're never going to shake the cuck brand off, no matter how much skin you peel off.

Free to be a cuck and let anyone have their way with your code, yeah. GPL bulls don't have this problem.

>GPL bulls don't have this problem
See also: grsecurity

BSD also has a non-shit package manager unlike every single Linux distro out there (Gentoo tries with its Ports clone but doesn't cut it)

See also: every videogame console, macshits, phones, etc

>take your GPL product
>put it in my product
>don't even make any changes
>sell it
>contribute nothing back
>laugh my way to the bank while you get nothing
The only non cuck license is a proprietary one, anyone who says different is fooling themselves and anyone who squabbles over this doesn't actually care about freedom.
If you do care about freedom why go half ass, MIT or bust. If it wasn't for global law bullshit it would be public domain or bust.

>not setting your own partition scheme
>use zfs :^
>gpu acceleration is bloat

>mfw I sue the shit out of you and make bank

but OS X uses gnu utils....

Sue me for what? The GPL allows this, I could even sell YOUR product if I wanted, I don't have to do anything. Someone post that one site that does exactly this.

More importantly, lets say you did have reason to sue me, expect a major headache and tons of travel and legal fees, FSF only pays some of it and if they win they get all of it.
Most famous case (the rare times the FSF actually does anything)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox#GPL_lawsuits

I'm pretty sure that's their point, the GPL doesn't prevent this.

>GPL allows this
Not GPL3.

>GPL3
Truly the worse license on the planet

>impossible to be cucked like it was in the past and like BSD is everyday
Pretty good if you ask me.

because mah gaymes!!!
That's why I use Linux

>GPL3
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 3 times, shame on me. I ain't reading that long as fuck "freedom" license again. The summaries I've heard make it seem like something a crazy person would use for their hobby project that would never see any traction because you legitimately can't use it without fear of legal repercussions, even if in practice there's no chance of you getting sued because nobody will actually get caught violating the GPL and if they do nobody is going to do anything about it. GPL v3 may as well be renamed to "RUN AWAY".

You're cucked out of your rights the second you even so much as look at GPL software.
"Freedom" is defined as "look at this giant list of clauses stating what you can and cannot do".

I'll listen to but ultimately disagree with opinions on why some think this is better but I will never take people serious when they try to pass this off as freedom.

Requesting citation of v3 change.
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

>cucked out of your rights
Outside of forcing GPL onto software that incorporates other GPL software, and neuters DRM, I'm not sure how GPL cucks you out of anything.

>outside of these exceptions I don't know how you can claim it does these things
I'm not even trying to be patronizing but this is why people don't take the GPL seriously.

> BSD is a cuck license!
> Even though all BSD variants keep improving and getting better and better each release
Can somebody explain this to me? nobody has any reasons whatsoever to contribute back into BSD yet it's a thriving community and the project keeps moving forward at a steady pace

Didn't you read all those posts since 1999? FreeBSD is dying, for real this time, no really it's dying for sure this time. It will be dead soon. How can it be alive when there hasen't been a contribution in decades, how can they afford to pay the bills with no donations. Really a shame that this is the reality. RIP BSD.
>some people still believe this bs after multiple decades

It's a more aggressive method of promoting free software. Are you really defending the use of proprietary licensing and DRM on this board?
BSD people say "maybe if we ignore it it will go away"
Stallman people say "you will look up and shout 'save us!' and I will whisper 'GNo'"

> Implying everyone on this board is a stallman follower looney
Consider finding a rope strong enough to support your obese body and hanging yourself from a reinforced steel beam

Not an excuse and not an argument.
>maybe if we ignore it it will go away
This isn't even the mentality, it's simply this
>we ignore it
How about you write software and you write software, no political nonsense, no legal nonsense, no ethical discussion, no business concerns, just software, you write it, people can use it if they want to, that's it, it's that simple. Why complicate it? Why actually fight with people verbally and legally? I'm dead serious when I say this, the people who advocate GPL look like people who don't actually care about software to me, they care about some meta layer on top of software, they'd rather argue about ethics than write useful software that's meant to be used, and they damn well don't give a hoot about freedom when they systematically try to isolate themselves from everyone else on the planet and make things as complicated as possible under some guise.

All this for what, who does this even benefit in practice, not in theory, because in practice more liberally licensed software seems just as fine as the alternative without any of the headaches for developers.

Rude but funny.

The reason why this happens is because we currently have enough free resources on the planet to devote to welfare and otherwise pity money which is what you, as a hipster, survive on. Only when you have this kind of time, is when you become a hipster. Right now you have it pretty good because we happen to have enough to allow welfare to exist.

In just 30 years or so, we're not going to have enough space and resources for you unless you can give something back. General public perception of being willing to give away free money is going to start seeing a massive decline. You will have to earn it one way or the other and we all know you won't be able to. After your time is up we'll pick up eugenics and competition again as you won't seem worthy of being alive and will be liquidated. Nobody wants to pay for you spending 8 decades butt diddling on IRC pretending to be a cuntrarian, the deal is that right now you happen to be able to pretend that you can't work. This isn't going to work for much longer and you will be liquidated.

Hipsters are so, so so worthless, which is why we're here right now in this thread. When the general public becomes wary of resources becoming limited, hipsters will be the very first to go.

I don't know why you quoted me in this and I'm not even bothering to read past the first sentence. Did you make a mistake?

In one Lunduke Hour it was said by FreeBSD developer that Sony gives back a lot because it wants new FreeBSd versions to already have their patches so they don't have to patch it for every release.

Just because they are not obligated to give back doesn't mean it's not convinient to prevent patching every release.

My message to all GPL advocates
a.uguu.se/3TbcgrQhcMeI.mp4

You don't have to be a Stallman following looney to understand why some people wouldn't want others to take free software, lock it up behind proprietary shit, and fuck consumers with it.
>we just ignore it
That's why BSD is the beta cuck license.
>I don't care about ethics so that means no one should
I don't have words for this.
>they'd rather argue
GPLv3 simplifies this greatly and makes arguing unnecessary. If you want to use this GPL software, great!, but you have to play fairly. It's okay if you don't want to, but you can't use this software.
>make things as complicated as possible
>isolate
What are you not understanding about GPL's ACTIVE approach to free software? Is it really that hard for you to fathom that someone might actually care if someone takes their work and uses it unethically?

You had the opportunity to convince me why I should care, why this non-existent problem is supposedly real and something I need to worry about, but instead you just spouted funny meme words. Good contribution, I hope you licensed it under the GPL for all 0 people that want to make copies of it.

>I care about ethics in software so that means everyone should
I don't have words for this.

If you don't care about ethics you're subhuman. Bottom line.

Not an argument. Is shitposting all you're capable of? That's not really ethical.

>reply to me with a shitpost
>i reply to you with a shitpost
>"is shit posting all you can do????"
EPYC posts

I'll translate my post into something you can understand at the bottom, skip ahead if you can't understand some of these words.

Explain to me how inquiring for more information is shitposting you moron, you still never made an argument as to why someone should care about this supposed issue and specifically what aspects they should care about. You're not going to either because there is none or you're incapable of forming your opinions into a statement, you open your mouth but only KEK KEK KEK comes out, I guess it's all you're used to.

I also like how you asserted that just because I don't like to limit the rights of people while threatening everyone else, that means I'm somehow unethical.

translation: meme meme meme do do da da why aren't you just like me?

Does cuck get filtered when it's in lowercase? That's pretty funny.