/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - 144hz only
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2939&cmp[]=2660&cmp[]=3029
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yy2FkT
amazon.com/Red-4TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00EHBERSE/
amazon.com/dp/B01M1D7JVO
pcpartpicker.com/product/w34NnQ/intel-600p-series-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpekkw512g7x1
pcpartpicker.com/product/F9Gj4D/msi-motherboard-z170agamingm5
pcpartpicker.com/product/mn3RsY/phanteks-case-phes614pbk
pcpartpicker.com/list/RHzMNN
logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/product/V3mxFT/a-data-ultimate-su800-512gb-25-solid-state-drive-asu800ss-512gt-c)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for vega when

why is building a pc so disapointing today? everything is mb except the gpu

Trying to build a fairly inexpensive rig that can play some of my favorite older games. Not looking to run anything at 8k 6000fps, just wanna be able to play like borderlands and civilization at a pretty good resolution. I’d also like it to be fairly small, I’ve seen some of these cases at Fry’s that are the size of a nightstand and I really don’t need that either. I don’t know a lot about this stuff please halp me Sup Forums

Best place to get cheap windows keys that wont get revoked?

bought win10 pro for 25 shekels on kinguin

>>i7 7700k - 144hz only

Conveniently leave out that it's the best for gaming.

Read the op.
Follow what it says for budget cpu. What it says for the resolution you want while gaming.
I am not your mommy spoonfeeding you everything. Start by trying to understand and then come back and have people check your reasoning

Approximately 1 month before disappointment.

Shut up. I'm one of the guys that kept requesting it being added back for 144hz. But for current gaming its performance at 60hz is almost the same as Ryzen. And going forward games will start to optimize for multithreading more and more.

Standard pcbg hdd recommendation?

1/2 tb western digital blue, or Seagate or whatever is cheaper where you live

posted in last thread before it died, kek

Build in progress. I already have a GPU, PSU, 1 SSD, and an HDD. I have a linux machine for doing some light content creation but mostly use ffmpeg to convert stuff to different formats. Also the occasional audio recording.

The big thing for me is a MB with some expansion slots. I only use one GPU and I'm fine with that. I might want to add a capture card or internal audio interface so I can plug some microphones or inputs into it.

tl;dr
>motherboard recommendations

>mass AMD shilling
Can't make this shit up
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2939&cmp[]=2660&cmp[]=3029
Zen is weaker in single threaded benchmarks than fucking Excavator.
>b-b-but it's 3.6GHz vs 3.4GHz
Even if you adjusted the Ryzen's score to the same clock frequency, it still loses to the Excavator CPU by a hundred points.
What a fucking joke of an architecture. This is literally Bulldozer rehashed and marketed.

So what? Do you want me to recommend people with 60hz screen to waste their money on a 144hz CPU just because it's "the best gaming CPU!" and has "the strongest single core" and other buzzwords?
Different CPU are fit for different usages, the 7700k might be the best at gaming but it's a total waste of money if you don't take advantage of said performance, aka if you don't have a high refresh rate screen.

I thought they were both frowned upon here? Blues for being slower than other drives and Seagate Barracuda for being unreliable.

So im going to finally buy an ssd. Should i go for a 120 gb ssd and make it a boot drive? or should i go for slightly higher storage?

Please do not make claims about things that you know nothing about, especially if your sources for those claims are from a garbage unreliable synthetic benchmarking website.

>one of the most widely used benchmarking software in the world used to test desktops, laptops, and servers
>garbage
Sure thing, kiddo

Maybe mine is really old info then.
Blues are definitely slower than others but since most people are getting ssd's now for their main work or gaming purposes, I have no problem, personally, buying a bit slower drive if it saves me money

Is this salvageable?

out

Theoretically if you're autistic eno-
>broken transistors
nevermind.

>plebmark
>not trash
>t. tech illiterate
Go back to facebook.

>saw a 1080 for 1000€ today
>saw a 1050Ti for 200€ today
Miners need to fucking die already.

is this good for the price or can I go cheeper
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yy2FkT

No. It's a good build but with like 20-30 USD more you can upgrade it with a better mobo, 2400 RAM and 500W PSU for future upgrades.

Without any details I'm going to suggest a Ryzen 5 build, probably with a 1600 or maybe 1400 if you don't need the heat/performance of a 1600. GPU will probably be a 1050 Ti since you can't find anything else for sale without looking at secondhand merchandise.

Only at 1080p at over about 100 fps or so. Even then in some games its minimums are lower than Ryzen's and a 6 or 8 core Intel chip. For most people this is not an issue and it sacrifices a lot of multi-threaded performance compared to Ryzen.

Personally I go with WD Reds or Hitachi drives. Some Toshiba drives are excellent as well. I keep programs/games on SSDs for the most part.

To add, for SSDs I usually stick with Samsung NVMe when they're on sale, or Corsair Neutron XTi drives. Both go on sales a few times a year that I've seen so I'll get one then if I need one.

I would wait for Ryzen 3 to release, probably a better deal than a G4560.

I have an 850 evo as my main drive. The Hitachi all seem to be enterprise which means they're probably loud, no go for me.
What's better between the Toshiba p300 and a Seagate Barracuda? They're priced almost the same.

How big of a difference will 2 CAS make on 16GB of DDR4-3200? I'm paying $50 more for 14 CAS vs 16 in hopes it'll actually benefit my vidya but I want to ask in case I'm being a retard and could use that money toward peripherals.

>tfw using L100 DELL keyboard from long dead pre-builts

>tfw bought 48 GPUs in April

Oh I wouldn't say they're loud at all really, they're not 10k RPM drives or anything. Enterprise generally means they're more robust, have better longevity and can run 24/7 under high load or something like that.

It doesn't make a lot of difference tbqh, but 2 CAS is still better than jumping from 3200 to 3400 for example. But either way you're better off using the money on a better CPU, then you'll get a real, tangible, guaranteed upgrade.

I wouldn't pay for that delta in timing personally. If you were up at 20 or so, then yeah pay for the 14 but not if you're at 16.

recommend me some HDD. I'm not sure what's the best brand or even what to look at when picking an HDD
my specs are semi related I guess. having about 100GB of free space sucks

guys, whats the best ultra wide monitor? I have a HP 25ES but I want something new and huge.

what program do use to get this information?

Assuming you're using it for media, get something like a 4TB WD Red drive.

amazon.com/Red-4TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00EHBERSE/

Get more or less space as you need

Speccy

thank you

amazon.com/dp/B01M1D7JVO

can a mobo give any form of bottleneck for vidya performance?

thinking of a 1440p 144hz build with a 1080ti and a 1700, but amd's microatx mobo options seem to be a bit lackluster compared to intel's

just bought a 1050ti for 140$

Mainly it can limit your OC potential by not providing sufficient power or cooling to various parts of the mobo.

ive read about this. hit and miss kinda. do you have one?

makes sense. other than that, a really high end microatx build isn't an inherently dumb idea right? there's no massive problem with it?

it's just most really high end builds i see use atx motherboards even though people only have one graphics card and maybe 2 HDDs at most with no intent of something like SLI, so i don't understand why everyone keeps getting massive mobos and cases when they don't need them

I have a WD Blue and it's fine, can't hear it over the rest of my system. Can anyone attest to if the Seagate Barracuda is as quiet?

See It can and will limit your OC capabilities but it has no influence on the GPU.
>AMD mobos
OC differences will likely be minor and silicon lottery of the CPU will be a more important factor. You can OC a 4 or 6 core on most B350 mobos to 3.9GHz, 8 core is a different story.

Yes, I have one on my office workstation. I used to have a dual monitor setup but I replaced it with this.

I have a question.

Is this SSD compatible with this motherboard?

and is this motherboard compatable with this case?

pcpartpicker.com/product/w34NnQ/intel-600p-series-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpekkw512g7x1

pcpartpicker.com/product/F9Gj4D/msi-motherboard-z170agamingm5

motherboard^

pcpartpicker.com/product/mn3RsY/phanteks-case-phes614pbk

case^

Thanks. I've been googling, but these chiplike SSD's are so new to me. I don't know anything about them. I'm new to building. I hadn't built one since 2006. so if you have a better alternative, that would be cool.

Thanks.

Is a 980ti used for 300€ a good deal?
What about 340€?

Thanks, just wanted to be sure. I plan on buying the R7 1700 but since Microcenter is out of them I'll move up to the X for $30 more. Don't think there's a reason to move up from there even though my budget allows.

Read the manuals and fuck off back to plebbit you retarded faggot.

>Is this SSD compatible with this motherboard?
Yes? It has an M.2 slot in there, it's not like there's a restricted QVL like with RAM and it's not like Intel SSDs are shady chink shit and wouldn't work with their own motherboards
>and is this motherboard compatable with this case?
Yes, mobo is ATX and so is the case, it'll fit.

What are you building by the way?
And please stop spacing your lines like a redditor, it's very suffering to read.

> fuck off back to plebbit
I don't visit reddit. I did read the specs. I'm not seeing what you use to check compatibility on these newer SSD's. I'd always had a disk drive.

Normally over 300 wouldn't be a good deal because you could just get a new 1070 for a bit more.
But currently there's not many options, so go for it I guess.

I'm sorry. I'm used to doing that to send emails. Thanks for letting me know. This is what I'm building. What do you think?

pcpartpicker.com/list/RHzMNN

why not just fucking pirate then? at this point pirating is just more safe than buying a cdkey from some shady site and hoping it doesn't get revoked.

Never had a problem with Kinguin myself

That's good on it's own but what's the specific usage for it? Just gaming?
A 1080ti is quite overkill for 1080p144hz, and for a few bucks more you can get a Noctua NH-D15S (the S is important) which performs very very similarly even though it has only one fan (and room for a second like the D14 or even a third)

>Seagate Barracuda for being unreliable.
it was true few years ago and only for 1 specific model. other than that it's a dead meme that only technologically illiterate people believe in.
toshiba/seagate are good picks for hdds.

i heard p300 are marginally slower than seagate, but also quieter and since hdds are meant for storage i'd go with toshiba

i don't have a problem with kinguin it's just you gain literally NOTHING from buying a shady cdkey rather than pirating and using an activator.
you're just giving money to some russian ivan who got it for free or stole it.

I switched it out for an NH-D15.

It's just for gaming. I intend to upgrade the monitor later on, but needed something budget for now.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/RHzMNN
either upgrade to monitor 1440p144hz / 4k or get a cheaper gpu (there aren't any tho)

I would go with a 144hz 2560x1440 monitor if you have a 1080 Ti. And at that point you should also go with Ryzen 7 since you will hardly ever have a CPU limitation in games.

So I brought my 1080ti and monitor over to my friends house for the fourth.
Turns out a g4560 and 1080ti is the way to go for 4k. Everything ran at 60 fps just fine at 4k ultra.
If I could get my money back I would just go with pic related because there's literally no difference as my 4k monitor is only 60hz.
Just something to cook ur noodle I suppose.

Anons I was finally approved for NEETbux and I want to get a vidya PC but I know nothing about computers, I've never personally owned one, I don't even know what each part does, how do I into computer.

I want something to play mil-sim vidya like such as Red Orchestra 2 and Squad since I've wanted to play those for ages but can't on console, I'm also gonna use the PC for spending excessive amounts of time on Sup Forums and some other non vidya stuff like 3d modeling(wanted to do that ever since I tried CAD software on a high school PC) and maybe buy a drawing tablet to try to learn how to draw.
Also hentai games.

Pls help me stop being a dumb console pleb/phone-poster

>going forward games will start to optimize for multithreading more and more
I remember telling people this 10 years ago when I built my first PC.

I'll tell you what.
Add me on discord and you will have full access to my vast, autism fueled, knowledge of every piece of computer hardware.
In exchange you must help me get the neetbux

lurk more and google and read the OP
also I don't know why this isn't included in the OP

logicalincrements.com/

finally got my ryzen 1600 build ready

shit is cash

need a 144hz monitor tho

any recommendations for ~200? i keep hearing bad shit about a lot of monitors i'm finding in that price range(they're old, shit colors, too expensive)

can anyone explain to me why you need an i7 over an i5 for gaming? Seems like everything I read is telling me that CPU isn't the bottleneck for graphics and seem like i5 is still hella CPU for 2/3's the price.

also don't fall for the intel meme; you can get double the capacity ssd for literally the same price. the difference in real-world performance will be minimal compared to sata drives like su800 (pcpartpicker.com/product/V3mxFT/a-data-ultimate-su800-512gb-25-solid-state-drive-asu800ss-512gt-c)

g4560 still bottlenecks 1080ti only in 4k it isn't as noticeable

read the op

sorry to break it to you but it has already happened user.

>logicalincrements.com/
it was removed because their recommendations are shit.

hyperthreading being used by modern games

1080p btw

i aint rich

I would guess because cable management and airflow are extremely important in most high end builds.

>you should also go with Ryzen 7 since you will hardly ever have a CPU limitation in games.
I chose the 7700K with respect to the games I currently play. Benchmarks from Rust show that the game performs better with the 7700k as opposed to the Ryzen 7.

I rolled with a FX-6350 or whatever last time, so may be interesting using intel for the first time.

What's a discord?

I hear it mentioned occasionally but never bothered looking into it, how do I add you?

ah I thought HT was ultimate meme tech myself. Any games really using it?

>G4560
>1080Ti

i5 cpus are dead, user. ryzen r5 outperforms them and still has more cores than i7.
also check benchmarks on youtube with cpu usage. you will see i5 getting close to 100% usage, which results in frame drops and stuttering, while i7 and ryzen will have power to spare due to having more threads (and cores in case of ryzen)

I too would like to know how I can get neetbux.

not much choice for ~200. AOC G2460PF is currently $203 on amazon.

Hey anyone explain to my child brain whether a 4k monitor can play shit at 1440p or will it look weird? Would it be better just to do 1080p since it's a linear pixel density adjustment?

And before you ask, I'm not buying a native 1440 monitor because I prefer 4k for doing actual work on the thing.

Read the OP for basic information you pervert
Then come back to us with a specific budget

How important is it to stick to the motherboard's QVL? For ASUS I see 2 motherboards, one for $150 that doesn't have the specific RAM sticks I want to get but I can find them on the $240 board which is a little close to my processor cost (1700X).

>how I can get neetbux.

I don't know, I didn't do it myself, mommy helped me apply, I just had to tell some nice lady on the phone I was a dysfunctional hikikomori autist who'll kill himself if he has to get a job, then go take an IQ test with a psychologist.

>will it look weird?
Yes it will
>Would it be better just to do 1080p since it's a linear pixel density adjustment?
Yes, however that depends a lot on how it's done. For some monitors will do other things than simply displaying the pixel four times so it might end up blurry still

QVL is mostly important for high frequency RAM, if it's not in at worst you risk not being able to boot, but often the RAM will just get downgraded to lower speeds.

if it's not on qvl then it probably won't work at max ram speed, for example 3200mhz memory might work only at 2400mhz.
also why do you need asus mobo? asrock and msi are better picks

>muh gayming

Good monitors under $200? I only use for WoW and internet.

I thought it would be a setting in game. You can tell your monitor to pretend that it is 1080p

(Sorry dumb question I'm sure, but I've never actually had a desktop, or a non mac for that matter. Forgive me, I was born into a family with a dad who subscribed to mac world).

4k is GPU bound. The more you lower the resolution the more apparent the bottleneck will be.

Yeah, and you were right. Games back then used a single core. The games of today use four minimum when talking more complex titles. A lot won't even run on CPUs with less than four threads any more, which started several years ago with Far Cry 4 and Dragon: Age: Cisquisition in late 2014. Many even use more than four, which is why i5s suffer from such garbage frame times and lows compared to i7s.

It's a chinese botnet chat/voip program that lets you have big group calls for free and have things similar to IRC rooms but with persistent chat history, inline images, emotes, custom voice channels etc. Uses good audio codec.
Make an account and add Vidas#1240