Old thinkpad laptop died. I have a career now so money is not an object. What laptop should I buy?

Old thinkpad laptop died. I have a career now so money is not an object. What laptop should I buy?

Any good 1080 i7, non gpu, 13.3 screen light weight laptop. I don't want a mac after feeling their shit keyboards.

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
amazon.com/Lenovo-20BG0011US-i7-4700MQ-Processor-Preinstalled/dp/B00HPR7K8Q/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oh and hopefully linux compatible. I had a dell laptop that was a bitch to get linux on.

DELL Latitude E7270

>I don't want a mac after feeling their shit keyboards.
That's hilarious considering you posted a laptop with literal shit-tier keyboard.

yeah i literally googled the first image on laptops.

Tuxedocomputers
Schenker Notebooks
System76
Librem (?)

surface

They are impossible to repair. See iFixit

by the time i malfunctions you'll probably need another one anyway.

grow up from gaymen and get a macbook user

does the XPS have a shitty keyboard? Really? How is the one on the Latitude E7270 by comparison?

I would rather like to fix it thank you.

xps 13

dont listen to this fags, watch/read some reviews on the internet

Just get some

Thinkpad X1 Carbon?
It's 14", but bezels are pretty thin and it's portable overall.
No. I've got an XPS 15 and the keyboard is pretty good.
People here will tell you that any keyboard is shit except super old thinkpads' ones...

What's a good laptop for game development (which means, 15" with high end i7 and powerful GPU) and with great build quality and comfy kb? Is DELL XPS latest fine?

XPS is not for gaming.

Also it's horrible with Linux.

Doesn't it have some good hardware? I've seen one with GTX 1050

Linux may be a problem though as I always use both Win and Linux in dual boot

>what is developer edition
also, debian works perfectly with my non developer edition xps 13

Except that chink laptop is gonna have some bs cherry trail cpu or some shit. I don't want that.

If money is not a problem buy a full spec Thinkpad P71

What's the difference between XPS and XPS dev edition? Is it safe to set the boot to grub and choose between win and Debian on your XPS?

Got the developer edition.
>fell for developer meme

Took months to get everything working with newest kernel.

Headset mic still not working though.

Dev edition ships with Ubuntu and has a (more) Linux friendly WiFi chip onboard which works out of the box. (mostly)

17 inch heavy ass laptop
Literally goes against the whole point what a laptop should be used for. Portability.

xps dev edition comes with a different wifi card that works without extra firmware install

i have both win and debian installed, to install debian you should go to bios, disable secure boot and set the sata operation to AHCI mode

A full spec P51?

So now having money is a reason to waste it on subpar overpriced garbage?
Buy another old thinkpad

>Also it's horrible with Linux.

You're fucking retarded. Any XPS in the last 5 years supports linux out of the box. You can buy it with linux installed from dell.

tried that 15.6 life and hated it. I would like 13 or 14 inch one.

>So now having money is a reason to waste it on subpar overpriced garbage?
So not a thinkpad? Face it the cpu is getting obsolete and the ram is still stuck in the previous generation. Not to mention people are jacking up the price to accommodate for the meme

Do it. Buy a developer edition with cuckbuntu 14.04 whatever.

Don't cry afterwards.

also
>suggesting a post-x230 Thinkpad
DELL XPS are the new Thinkpads, deal with it

Reviews can give you a picture, but don't blindly listen to them.

I tried out the xps 13 in stores and the keyboard felt like mushy shit. The Surface laptop has a much better keyboard if you can stand weird cloth stuff they put on it. It's comfy, but it won't be easy to clean and will probably look like shit after a few months.

How long have you had it? I'm really debating getting a new one with an i7. I'm REALLY scared about the coil whine though.

I didn't suggest buying a dev edition, it's really just a meme. I was simply stating that it exists.

Is it easier to get a double boot Win/Linux on Dev edition or on the standard one?

They're not wrong, new keyboards are shit compared to old thinkpads.

The XPS keyboards are average for modern laptops, I like my 2011 MBP's keyboard more than it. I'd put the Surface laptop keyboard ahead if you're buying something in 2017.

Honestly, the XPS keyboard isn't that bad, but the trackpad is fucking garbage.

>using the trackpad instead of a mouse like true pros

surface book is a freaking meme, it doesn't even close as a real laptop.

That's your poorfag concerns. OP has a real career now so he can buy a new laptop every few years like any normal person in a consumerism culture.

Not the surfacebook you twat, the surface laptop.

God Microsoft is worse than Apple at product naming

I'm not gonna take a mouse to class to use on a tiny desk while I take notes.

I think it'd really be the same honestly. The dev edition is $100 more than a loaded vanilla version. Which is kind of ironic because one of their selling points on it is something like "don't overpay for an operating system that you're not going to use"....

I've seen a few anons in this thread mention that the dev edition has a different internal wifi card that plays nicer with linux. This is the first I've heard of that and would like to see some proof.

There was a fairly lengthy thread not too long ago about the XPS 13 dev edition and nobody mentioned that. It was my understanding that there is literally not difference besides the OS installed.

In fact I remember an user from that thread saying he got the regular version and was running arch or debian on it just fine.

I'm really looking at getting one it's just the horrid coil whine puts me off. Other than that it's the perfect laptop. Dell isn't replacing for coil whine either. It seems the coil whine issue is more prominent in 13's versus bigger models.

Every laptop made in the past five years seems to have the same shitty mac style keyboard. There's no escape.

>thinkpad laptop
>I have a career now
ergo propter hoc?

>mac style

XPS 15 9560 and T420 owner here.

I got the XPS 15 specifically because it has actual real usable i/o unlike everything else coming out with only usb-c.

Thing to remember about the XPS series is the 13 is more like a 12in laptop and the 15 is more like a 14in laptop. Due to small bezels and other small form factor stuff.

Keyboard is definitely usable. It's not as comfy/cool as my T420 keyboard but it works and does the job.

Very nice. So the vanilla 15" could really be the definitve laptop for game development and hacking, having both the horsepower and a good build quality, other than good support for Linux.

Yeah man. If you look at all the reviews, XPS is so close to being perfect. That's why the coil whine issue is even more aggravating because it's like the only thing possibly wrong with the laptop. Other than the weird webcam placement, but who really uses their webcam.

But overall yes. Unless you're in college, most uni's have really small desks and a 13 would be superior to a 15 there. But that's it.

I'm in college but I'm used to placing my crappy 15.6" there which also has a lot of bezel, so it would only be an improvement from this. Furthermore if everything goes fine I will take this damn degree in less than an year from now and it won't really be an issue.

It seems anyway that the newest power supplies (at least on the XPS 15) solve the coil whine. Let's hope they solve it on the 13 model too as I know lots of people who are better off with that, and I can definitely suggest XPS as the ultimate laptop.

are you getting paid for this? it's literally macbook air tier

Good shit. Yeah I was thinking about getting one from costco or something because they're a little cheaper than dell, and they return or exchange stuff without hassle unlike dell in case I do get coil whine. Only problem is I wouldn't be able to customize one quite to my liking. I wanted to ball out on that gold one

Far from it. I think you're the real shill here.

Macbook Air tier means great imho

okay apple hasn't updated it anymore but it was a great machine

Try Vaio or Alienware.

>money is not an object
I dare to doubt that seriously

nearing 2 years now
coil whine is memes, or at least my model doesnt have much of it, it is only hearable when theres library tier silence and when something is moving on the screen, no one who isnt particularly listening for it would hear it and youd have to be really autistic to be bothered by it

You most likely felt the keyboards of the 2016 models. The newer ones are much better, believe me. They're clickier and provide better feedback.

Buy the MacBook Pro and don't be a retard. Don't fall for the WannaCry OS and the terrible build quality of the Dell.

Horrendous trackpad, shit speakers, coil whine , webcam under your ballsack and many other issues...

Nice sources

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

amazon.com/Lenovo-20BG0011US-i7-4700MQ-Processor-Preinstalled/dp/B00HPR7K8Q/

You are welcome user

That or an Elitebook, anything else is garbage.

dude you're getting a dell

>Old thinkpad laptop died
Thinkpads never die. They just get replacement parts.

my motherboard completely fried so....

Good if you need the Macbook Air form-factor but don't expect a particularly good typing experience. Same for the X1 or any thin laptop.

Still, better than the Mac Book Air.

That's a 15.6 inch screen you dip

HP Chromebook 13 G1.

Dual USB C ports.
13.3 inch 1920x1080/3200x1800 screen.
16/8/4 GB of RAM.
Pentium and Core M3/M5/M7 fanless processor.
Metal lid.
Among the best backlit keyboards you can buy on a laptop today.
12 hour battery life on a 3 cell battery.

It's only downfall is local storage. Up to 64GB ECC drive.

So replace the mobo

Grow up from the Apple meme. Macbooks are shit.

I call bullshit. which one?