/hdg/ Hopes and Dreams general

Hi anons, usually we end up talking about gloomy and pessimistic stuff here, like how we are botnetted and we can't do anything about it, about how Thinkpads aren't what they once were, about how our technology is used for bad things and how normies destroy themselves with misuses of it, but today I want to change the playlist here.

*plays Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen*

The last months have been literal hell for me, university was tough as shit and even my personal life basically fell to pieces. But they also made me think more about what really matters in life, and while I realized that relying on a "dream", meaning that dream is an obsession and it's all you have, the focus of your life, won't really help you, even if you reach that (you're delusional if you think otherwise), there's nothing wrong in having ambitions itself, and I guess we all have something that really made us love technology and wanting to study computer science related stuff.

As for me, even though my exam season started awfully, I'm managing to get one exam done after another lately, and I want to have the strength to keep doing so, so that in less than an year I'll wave goodbye to my college with a freaking degree in my hands. I want to graduate in no more than 6-7 months so that in the time between the end of undergrad and the beginning of the master I'll finally have some months to rest and work on my indie videogame project, and who knows, if that goes well I might as well start a real game dev career.

What about you, anons? What's your hopes and dreams now? Do you have any goal you really want to work on, even though life has kicked you in the butt and it's making you depressed?

Let's share them all here and pray (God or your waifu or Stallman, we're open to all faiths) for the strength to achieve them!

Bump. Cause this is not the thread you want, it's the thread you need.

Fellow gamedev here. My dream has always been to work at BioWare, loved their Mass Effect series and was really pissed off when Andromeda came out and was such a shit. I had lost all will to live lately, college was hard and I wasn't sure if I really could learn and apply all that stuff properly in a work environment.

Your post was very uplifting, I had no problems in my personal life and honestly I think I'm being whiny to complain about such frivolous stuff when people can have more serious problems and still face college like you did.

I guess I'll stop shitposting here and get back studying, that freaking assembly exam won't be an insurmountable wall if I apply seriously.

Hell yeah

Ill start going to uni for CS soon, and my dream would be to find someone who enjoys coding as much as I do and is willing to do some projects with me. I know I can find many ppl online, but there's just something really distinct/nice about actually talking to them, being able to just go over and look at his/(her) screen and figure shit out together. Some company is quite nice sometimes

I went here to shitpost, not to be reality checked...

I have no actual hopes and dreams, I only NEET in my parents' basement. But I will get a job. Eventually.

kill yourself

Yours is a really healthy goal user! Don't trust those who tell you finding people online is the same, you'll never know them as you know someone you share the desk phisically 9 months per year (reason why I like Sup Forums compared to shitty socials, here it's clear that communication knows where it should stop and doesn't pretend to be anything deeper than writing text on the same page). I've gotten myself lots of friends who love coding in CS uni, and I've worked on lots of school projects with them, as you say it's a wholly different thing to just work at each other's laptops and talk directly, I wish the best for you!

>Thread about not killing yourself
>user tells other people to kts because his life is sad and he doesn't have the strength to face it

I've achieved my hopes and dreams now, apart from the non-Sup Forums-related ones.
>Ex-NEET at 28
>Wanted an IT job
>Got CompTIA A+
>Found an IT job and was happy, then lost that job for no reason four months later
>Applied to hundreds more entry-level IT jobs
>Got nowhere
>Even interviews don't call me back
>Literally running out of companies to apply to
>Finally find a job somewhere
>Now I work in a data centre and have hugely varied experience that is very useful if I lose this job
>I've only been there a few months and already my life is turning around
>Never, ever give up, fellow anons

I want to work as a sysadmin and finally make some use of all of my UNIX knowledge. And make money.

This. Don't give up just because you're old, it's not like you're dead.

>another general
Little hopes, many dreams. 1 year into CS and can't really care about it, almost considering dropping out. Socially full blown retard, no interests, nor friends.

Does getting a job count as a dream?

My life's a shithole, I'm stuck in my shitty country and I have to do a lot of useless exams that I think have nothing useful to teach me for the real professional environment, and I still don't have the economic Independence to go away from my parents, college really sucks honestly. Having the goal of escaping is the only thing that drives me but honestly I don't know if I'll be happy even if I managed to, but at least if I have a goal my life maybe will be better than those hateful normies'.

Still get another semester before I get my associates for electrical tech, up to another year if I'm unlucky with classes. Can't afford to go full EE, don't have the grades to support it, and can't get financial aid cause I hit the credit ceiling. Hope there's decent paying work for techs out there. Working on projects to make myself look a bit better cause lord knows my grades aren't working in my favor.

Designed, laid out, and populated a real time audio spectrum analyzer. Working on an improved design that is swept tuned instead of using discrete bandpass filters. It will also use nixie bar displays instead of LEDs. I've already got the boost converter for the tubes working and some of the signal processing circuity but I'm having trouble with the design of the super-narrowband bandpass filter with very sharp roll-off. I probably need multiple IF stages but idk what LO frequencies I need and the bandwidth of the various IF bandpass filters before the final one which will be 20Hz or less. Beyond that I'm planning some RF projects but those haven't even been simulated yet.

I think I'm just destined to never get out of my dead end burger flipping career and into a real job. I don't even know what to do anymore.

Yes. Maybe one day you will get used to it and dream for something more, but you're on the ladder now and that's the hardest part. Well done. (Unless you don't currently have a job, in which case, do you live in Manchester, England? My employer is hiring)

Yes it does

My dream is to get a good job and give my family a pleasant and happy life. Nothing wrong with that. It's maybe the healthiest dream.

>Got CompTIA A+
I've been thinking about trying this. Right now I'm a hopeless NEET, and doing anything beyond flipping burgers until I work myself into an early grave feels like an unattainable dream.

No, unfortunately I don't live in Manchester.

What are the "useless notions" they teach you? And maybe you should fix other aspects of your life before thinking about dreams dude. Having a goal won't make your life any better if you despise everything in it.

I do DevOps now, I get to fuck around with Azure and manage servers and do a shit-ton of azure scripting. I'm happy with this.

But I'm severely disappointed that in 4 years of working for different companies, all of them are full of normies. No-one goes on reddit nevermind Sup Forums.

Hardly any of the devs have heard of Github, and the ones that have don't have an account. I talk about coding outside of work and I get weird looks

There were tons of losers in Uni, but none of them stuck it out. Away to be NEETs for life.

Don't be a NEET Sup Forums, the workforce needs more Sup Forumsimps

Heck you're probably an angsty manchild who hasn't even managed to solve his teenage battle with his parents

My college is full of normies, as you say they don't use reddit nor Sup Forums, use Facebook all the time, don't talk about computer science outside class use... At least it's not all of them but it's surprising how many normies are now in the industry. Probably it's because they heard it's payed well.

Like some useless economic terms only used in our country or useless algorithms exams that teach you nothing new

Pretty much. It's the go-to field. I'm starting to think if i want to be around similar folk I need to move to sysadmin work or something.

If you're at home all day, you can study at your own pace. Look up a website called Professor Messer; he has videos that will teach you everything you need for the CompTIA A+. It took me forever to actually study it all (over a year), but once you've learnt it, things will look a lot better for you. It won't guarantee a job, but it will make you stand out for the shitty IT support jobs that it's designed to help you get.

Woah, it's very hard to learn some terms in your language and translate them to english then! I started from Chinese and have no link at all with English but I didn't complain about this stuff, you're probably even european or something like that and complain about this.

And do you really think algorithms are useless? Good luck with code performance lol

Sysadmins are the true neckbeards. A friend of mine who's pursuing that career literally giggles when talking about Unix syscalls. It's funny how he was a normie when he started college but got more CS-geek as he proceeded.

A lot of people hide their power level. I would never discuss Sup Forums at work. Most of my colleagues are >le geeks XD, who love Marvel films and Game of Thrones, but are not Chads. I sometimes see posts on Sup Forums that could absolutely come from people I work with.

>Bump. Cause this is not the thread you want, it's the thread you need.
This.

Yeah when I mean normies, I mean in my college they're the >le xd game of Thrones marvel movies type, not normies as in Chads. Luckily it's not all like that cringeworthy breed, there are also some more self aware people, like some dudes who play Pathfinder or some guys who like prog rock. There was also a guy who browsed Sup Forums from his macbook in class and I made friends with him when I told him I noticed lol