Fortran

What does Sup Forums think of modern Fortran?

Who ?

Welcome to Sup Forums, summerfag. Please remember to lurk 4 or more years before making your first post on this board.

You're fucking retarded.

quit being a faggot and use fortran 77

Are you a physicist?

Waste of trips

Wasted dubs

no because it's 2017

waste of sequential dubs
checked

one of my profs (math dept) does government work for the chair force and he uses forchan

wait, they released new version after Fortran 77?
Had to learn it in Uni during the 90ies.

Outdated language with no real use because the business owner is a 60-something, smug fat white guy who might've interned at IBM at one point in his life and he won't let go of the past.

what performance benefit does it have, except for its handling of aliasing in pointers? why can't we bolt on the same thing on C with some compiler directive?

Fortran the strongest

>Fortran
Kind of useless unless you're an engineer.

t. js/electron """""""coder""""""

Wtf is it nearly 2000 years old? I thought programming was a new thingy

t. web faggot.

lol

i'm not a coder at all. i probably wrote 300 lines of code in my life, all when i was in high school. now could you please answer the question?

Anyone who isn't an engineer is useless.

That's the one they were teaching us in hs all those years ago. Only internet in the class was through gopher.

Fortran is the opposite of C, Fortran is better optimized than C because it has safe bounds checked arrays and safe pointers. People have this false impression that Fortran syntax is complicated and only meant to do math programming. It actually has normal Pascal-like syntax, its very easy to learn, its a good general purpose language. The reason C killed Fortran is that operating systems on computers were very primitive and allowed a program to control hardware directly, obviously C is easier for bare metal programming than Fortran.

FORTRAN90 was the first language i ever learned. it was for intro compsci in university, around 2011 i believe. we wrote a bunch of programs in FORTRAN and then in the 2nd half of the semeter, translated them all into C.

i think it's good because i mostly write in python and javascript now, but it was nice to get a good grounding in the "classics" beforehand. it's nice to know a bit more about what's going on under the hood.

the python module numpy (aka what you use to do any serious number crunching) is a bunch of wrapper for FORTRAN and C scripts

Python is retarded, it should die already.

I've been studying Fortran this summer in preparation of the the coming semester. It seems pretty comfy for my purposes! I need something to math the shit out of matrices fast, and Fortran will do that. Or so I am told, especially with LAPACK.

My only issue is I've been messing around with more modern Fortran, 90 and up I think. The versions whose code doesn't look like a trainwreck. But unfortunately I think my supervisor wants me to be using Fortran77. Is there any good reason to do one or the other? What are some good resources for F77?

Fortran is only useful for super computers. Unless you do some huge project it's usually not worth the effort. Only scientists learn fortran these days

What an idiot.