You are new and want our advice? Use buyers template
>pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
Keyset wiki
>keypuller.com

previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2415
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2097
aliexpress.com/item/Plum87-gateron-mx-brown-blue-mechanical-keyboard-RGB-backlit-TKL-gaming-keyboard-PBT-keycap-87-tenkeyless/32598358025.html
geekhack
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

/mkg/ is autism

i like the other thread better

other thread is Massdrop spam.

How so?

OP image in that thread is the keycap set that Massdrop currently shills heavily. I got 3 fucking emails about it yesterday.

You'd only know about them if you used massdrop yourself.

what kind of an argument is that, spammer? yes, I'm subbed to their emails but never bought anything. their shit is way overpriced.
go back to spamming other forums... gotta make your rupees somehow.

you have to sign up just to browse the site

>I'm too retarded to put ?mode=guest_open in the URL

now try browsing the rest of the site pajeet

>#signup triggers a signup form
Wow who would've guessed.

kill yourself

can't see prices that way, butthurt retard.
anyway, fuck spammers. let's talk keyboards!

what;s the consensus on this? worth it or are the keycaps a deal breaker?

>other thread is massdrop spam
>OP image is from md but the posts aren't about it at all
>This thread full of MD shills
Really makes you use more than 10% of your brain.

>>This thread full of MD shills
it's the same shill from the other thread.

>tfw when you are retarded and accidentally didn't look at shipping costs
>tfw you bought a 30$ used keyboard with 35$ shipping

hmm touch typing at key br, having trouble with R, is it for index or middle? i find both to be always fighting for R.

also im having trouble going back to home row every word, do i have to do this?

>hmm touch typing at key br, having trouble with R, is it for index or middle? i find both to be always fighting for R.
index

>also im having trouble going back to home row every word, do i have to do this?
no, might be a good idea to do it in the beginning while you're learning, but do whatever works for you

the tada68 guy who wants new tkl here

what about KUL ES-87 with mx greens and blank black enjoypbt keycaps?

i really like it on pictures

The Rantopad MXX I ordered just arrived, and being my first mech ever I'm quite pleased with the build. Was having a tough time finding an 80%, brown switch and blue backlight keyboard, so I got an RGB one and I'll just set it to solid blue. Might prepare a mini review later if anyone is interested.

cant find any info on the keycaps, so im assuming they are shitty, shiny abs caps

get thicc pbt keycaps and you are set for a long time, unless you wanna try blue switches

I'm not an expert by any means, and I'm not at home right now, but from what I saw they seem to be ABS sadly (the ABS guns I used to play airshit with feel similar). Otoh, some people report standard sized keycaps, so in theory I can swap them down the road.

Oh and I went in on browns willingly. I do got a tester previously, and I prefered the tactile, but more lightweight and quiet switches

Got this beauty today from amazon. 80 euros refurbished. Did I do good /g?

Should... should we tell him?

I knew there was something fishy here. Bring it on, friend.

im not your friend, pal

yeah sounds good

i'm not your pal, buddy

I'm not your pal, buddy.

The non-flashy Logitechs are fairly good. I actually prefer their own Romer-G switches when it comes to backlighting as it doesn't just flood light everywhere and keeps the light directed a the keys. Shame the are using more Cherry MX now. But 80 euro for a refurb is pretty expensive. I guess that's why you're called yuropoors.

Fucking copy cat :( we were sharing some memberberries for two.

I'm not you buddy, pleb.

The regular price is 90 euros. It was 10 less because the box got a bit scratched in shipping. But it was unopened, seems to work fine for now.

I actually like it for now :D

I'm not a pleb, scoundrel.

>:D

Shit, I blew my cover.

This just arrived yesterday

I find myself wishing I had got a keyboard with a backlight though.

The most german keyboard ever.

you just need better keycaps that just need the monitor light for you to be able to see them

this might be one of worst keyboards for the money in 2017

You fucked up, enjoy your permanent cheap ABS keycaps. Hopefully you won't get key chatter issues from the dual leaf contacts.

Yeah I'm probably going to buy some blank key caps for the alphabetic keys and have them in white, with red WASD keys because I'm a gigantic faggot

Why?

>I find myself wishing I had got a keyboard with a backlight though.
Eeeeew! Lights on a kb are disgusting.

Your should be wishing that you had gone with a the true pro model.

Anyway, excellent choice nonetheless.

>Your should be wishing that you had gone with a the true pro model.
I can't find the {}[; %$&* by touch (yet).

Tbh as I typed that and looked down at my current keyboard and realised that I've had the backlight disabled for the last two years. I'll be fine. Might get some plain white keycaps though

Lads, I think I might be a raging homo. I walked into Best Buy more than half a year ago and tried out some Corsair board with those "silent" linear switches. The thing is, I can't stop thinking about it. I want to get linear switches with the smoothest stem, put thick PBT caps on em, and start typing a million words at once.

>I can't find the {}[; %$&* by touch (yet).
if you have an IQ over 100, I'm sure you could learn some keystrokes. don't be a fucking dolt. learn how to type.

>Tbh as I typed that and looked down at my current keyboard and realised that I've had the backlight disabled for the last two years. I'll be fine. Might get some plain white keycaps though
I prefer darker blanks caps because they don't show any sign of dirt or dust. go with black or dolch dark gray PBTs for alphas.

I used to have a corsair strafe with mx silents, was pretty happy at the time.

Now typing on a topre clone (plum 87) and even happier, shits godlike.

Good point, modifiers in white then?

If you just care about actuation distance, just get a Topre board that can change its actuation to like 0.1mm.

If you just want the smoothest switch, get Gateron Clears or Reds.

doesn't matter. just use whatever comes with your alphas. most will give you a whole bunch of extra keys because no one really sells alphas alone... don't waste money on extra caps.

das has gone down in quality and they started using cheaper switches but teir prices stayed the same.

with that said, at the price they are asking, there are better options.

How much voltage does a led mech keyboard need?

I have a bluetooth adapter, battery powered, but it cant power my keyboard with 5v.

there's no problem with reds in itself. its when people make misinformed decision because of gaymen meme. but i suggest buying a switch tester from amazon and then return it so you can get a better idea.

i thought i didn't like clicky until i tried greens. also blacks feel comfy

the one he got still has cherry mx switches

btw fuck this captcha, why am i even on this site, fuck everything

Logitech 810 or Leopold FC750R?
Speed corsair so fast for me, but corsair brown so slow for me.
What cherry i need?

FC750R and
>"fast" "slow"
what the fuck do you mean are you retarded

Probably referring to the weight required for the key press. MX reds would be fast, MX greens being slow. At least that's how I interpreted it.

yep this
no you

So I'm back at home, and mind you, I'm still a novice regarding mech keyboards. But seeing the keycaps, I think I can safely say
>well shit

BUT, and there's always a BUT, this meh keycaps, and the fixed feet (and to an extent the complicated system to set the backlight, at least when driverless) are the only issues I'm finding so far. In general I think I like what I got for only 70€, and that is an rgb keyboard with a sturdy ?aluminium? chassis (at least compared to my old rubber dome), and Gateron switches.
Now first of all, give me an hand here, these look like standard sized keycaps right?
One thing that pleased me is seeing a fat usb connector for the keyboard, and notched at that, so it fits snugly under the dedicated slot under the keyboard. I did test standard usb connectors in it and they still fit relatively tightly, so no issue replacing it if the cable fails.
As for the keys themselves, they do feel nice enough (while they're still new anyway), have not much play, and save for the spacebar, virtually no rattle.
Speaking of which, the spacebar feels very tightly secured when I try to pull it out, would like to see how it's secured underneath to see if it's easily swappable. Is this normal behaviour?

It sounded like he was saying he typed well on silver/speed switches and badly on browns, in which case I think reds would probably be the closest you can get in most premade baords since silvers are uncoomon.

I can give you a choice based off of brand alone.

Logitech
>crappy Romer-G switches
>crappy ABS thin keycaps

Leopold
>actual Cherry switches
>usually PBT keycaps

Leopold is a good brand, and you should never under any circumstances get a Logitech board. A fucking Razer board is better now.

I was planning to only post about the backlight if asked about it, but fuck it I have it ready anyway.

Backlight looks very uniform, which pleased me, and color me surprised and relieved, it HAS onboard memory. So if I plug it off, or turn off the pc, it saves the backlight setting, and doesn't become a christmas tree when booting up.
But setting it up is...interesting. Well it is fully featured, that's for sure, but also complicated as fuck.
Score 1 for the keyboard first of all: hitting the Fn key lights up in white any keys with available functions, a neat little feature I think. But ok, here we go:
Fn+F10 seems to switch between single color and multicolor setting. I say seems, it shows slightly different behaviours depending on the lighting effects.
Fn+F11 cycles between the different lighting effects, such as color waves, breathing, turn the light off, etc. This doesn't have the solid backlight by itself, I'll get to that in a second.
Fn+F12 sets what the lighting does with a key pressed. It can be turn the light off on that key individually, send a color wave across the keyboard, towards the key, or do nothing.
Fn+Arrow Keys set a constant background color, even when no lighting effects are activated. Start with Fn+Up Arrow, and the whole keyboard turns off, set the amount of RGB using Fn+The other Arrow keys (the light up with each color accordingly, you can even mix colors, it is RGB after all), and Fn+Up again to exit this mode.
So, to achieve the solid blue I wanted, I had to set:
>Fn+F10 - Single Color
>Fn+F11 - No lighting effects
>Fn+F12 - Do nothing on key press
>Solid blue background

i'm considering buying one
where did you get it for 70 euro?

Those caps are as thin as thin can be, you really should change them ASAP.
Having a USB-A connector instead of Mini is pretty cool. Those LEDs look weird as fuck, and hopefully don't interfere with something in thick Cherry profile.

Check if the spacebar uses Cherry stabilizers or just wires. I have a feeling you're going to have to "push" the wire off the spacebar to remove it.

So a friend gave me this, and in theory it would be really nice except the membrane keys are absolute fucking mushy garbage. My $10 curved microsoft membrane kb feels better. This is supposed to be used for gaming, but I'd take greens over this. They're heavy AND mushy.

Is there anything at all I could do to mod this? Or would I be better off making my own from scratch? Do you think I could realistically reuse the casing and replace the guts with my own PCB, switches, and controller, and perhaps retain the use of the joystick and maybe even the screen?

>tfw forget picture

Ebay, from a store that's claims being owned by Drevo, at least from their pamphlet. If I'm not mistaken, it's the only store selling the RGB version of the MXX there anyway. They also sell it with Blue and Black switches, Red seems to be sold out, shame really, my cousin wanted one with red switches after seeing this one.
Btw I was the entire time praying it wouldn't be seized by customs, but lady luck was on my side for this one.

I'm looking for a nice Mechanical Keyboard full size. Black preferred with white back light. Or RGB that includes white. I really want haptic feedback where it's very clicky but is pressed down semi easily.
AMAZON LINKS ONLY

Sadly I'll need help on this, my knowledge is limited. No wires to be seen, are these the fabled Cherry stabilizers?

If you are le pro gaymer and think something like this would actually be useful, might as well get the nice one from razer.

what it this keyboard and keycups?

How much do you want to spend, lil nigga?

No one responded to you last time because there's absolutely nothing you can do to "mod" it. You'd have to make 3D printed caps, 3D printed plate, wire all your cables to a controller and lose the screen and joystick, and that's only IF that small plastic case can hold the wiring, switches, and plate.

Or you can just make one of these.

That's the KUL ES87. Dont know the keycaps.

Nice, that looks like an aluminum plate too. Decent keyboard, but you need to swap caps.

My cousin bought it recently, against my tries to sway him off, but anyway, yes it can be modded with switches, there are a couple tutorials floating around in Google.

Nice, thanks. I've been thinking about caps for a while, but for now these will have to suffice. When the paint starts to rub off I'll see about grabbing some nice pbt keycaps.
Thanks again.

>$150 or less preferably
>U.S.A
>cherry red or similar linear switch
>ANSI
>TKL, bonus if it has a numpad but not necessary
>RGB backlights
>current KB is a quickfire tk with blues and blue only back-lighting
ultimately I've been leaning a bit towards this mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2415 but I'm honestly not a fan of the keyboards aesthetics overall, although it is the only keyboard I could find that fits what I want outside of that (especially with the PBT keycaps)
Can anyone vouch for this keyboard/recommend something better?
I was also considering this thing mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2097 because I like the way it looks, but the faux rgb backlighting and ABS keycaps are a bit of a turn off

Read again
>my friend gave me this
Incidentally, he did so because he got the nice one from razer for himself. Personally I'm wouldn't to spend money on that, but since I have it now, might as well make the best of it.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Seems possible if you're in love with the general shape and feel, but definitely not worth it for me.

I have a Ducky one and I bought it specifically for the minimalistic case. I went for the one with dye-sub PBT keycaps, and as far as keyboards go its great. It has a steel plate which helps give the plastic case a lot of stability making it hard to flex, and the keycaps are very thicc at 1.5 mm. There are plenty of other software features since the keyboard is mostly programmable, but there is no dedicated software to help you program it. It kinda sucks that Ducky raised the prices on all their keyboards by 10 bucks since they were so popular, but I think its still worth it.

all backlit keyboards will be shitty looking, the good keycaps don't shine through so you should have pure white leds if anything, but you don't even need a backlight when the keycap has good visibility like

oh and if you don't need the backlights then consider the following, it's programmable and comes with thick pbt cherry profile keycaps

aliexpress.com/item/Plum87-gateron-mx-brown-blue-mechanical-keyboard-RGB-backlit-TKL-gaming-keyboard-PBT-keycap-87-tenkeyless/32598358025.html

that keyboard looks pretty great, only issue is I've never tried a gateron switch
Which gat would you say is a good facsimile for cherry reds? Or even something in between reds/blacks

Just get a tada68 with 35g gateron clears. you don't need RGBT gaymer leds. A white backlight is just fine.

Anyone know any quality keyboard base for modding but with alternative layout such as the swedish querty?

Filco

How expensive and memey do you want to go? NerD keyboards are a place to start, or GH60 if you want something for sub 100 bucks

gateron red is like cherry mx red but smoother

also look at gateron yellow, but i'm not sure which version of gateron yellow they're selling, probably the newer one, but the first version of gateron yellow was heavier than black

>Recently, I acquired a custom 60% board with Gateron Yellows, and I really like typing with these switches. In marked contrast to any Cherry mx switch I've tried, Gateron Yellows feel just about right -- they have an actuation force of 50g - 55g (about the same as Gateron Blacks but lighter than Cherry Blacks at 60g - 65g), but their bottoming-out force of ~65g is less than that of Gateron Blacks (~70g) or Cherry Blacks ~80g.

>There is some confusion about Gateron Yellows, because apparently there was an earlier version that had a very high bottoming-out force -- these were dubbed "Super Blacks", which were very different from the current generation of Gateron Yellows.

geekhack
.org/index.php?topic=81434.msg2220671#msg2220671

oh they actually say the actuation force on the aliexpress listing

>--3) Gateron switch actuation forces:
> Gateron mx brown/red/blue: 45g;
> Gateron mx yellow/green: 55g;

swedish layout is just the ISO physical layout with different keycap legends

Have a board with gat greens and they sure as fuck aren't 55g, they're much heavier than cherry blues.

>programmable
>thick good pbts
>good choice of gat switches
>rgb
Why is this barely shilled compared to the tada68? Only downside is that it's a bit bigger.

guess it didn't reach meme status

have the topre clone version, it's pretty damn good

Compared to the TADA
>The keyboard isn't programmable
>The LED version has these shitty laser etched keycaps
>with less switch options
>And shitty 3mm LEDS.
If they actually cared they'd spend the extra money and use 2x3x4 leds or SMD leds like the TADA

>thick
>can see the LEDs shine through
nice memes

>buying a keyboard with leds
what are you, 12?

>RGB
Kill yourselves fag boys