/tabgen/ - tablet general

I haven't seen a discussion about tablets lately.

Is it because they are memes?

Have they become extinct after the domination of smartphones?

If not, what tablets do you use and what for?

Other urls found in this thread:

nvidia.com/en-us/shield/tablet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

IPad is the only decent tablet left and Sup Forums memes against apple so there is no discussion about them

Is it worth the price? What do you use it for?

This faggot is a paid shill and literally does nothing but shill these shitty products all day.

Well, Sup Forums veterans know how to spot them after 1 or 2 posts.

Ipads are fucking shit and lag to the point of being unusable if you apply any updates. Problem is, if you don't update it, all your apps stop working because apple forces devs to enforce allowing apps to only run on the latest crippleware ios version.

Go shill your fruity toddler toys somewhere else.

I use them as "placeable" computers. One sits in my living room and handles TV and movies, games, lights, etc. One is in my car's center console and does music, GPS, monitoring over OBDII and can even offer web access via phone tether. Yet another is in my bag for camping/hiking and has things like maps (terrestrial and stellar) and ebooks on it.

I know my phone can go with me to each of those settings and pick up the same tasks, but I find it convenient and a little more comfortable to already have the device there. It takes little money and almost no effort to just drop a tablet into place. Plus it splits my power consumption across several batteries which go a fantastic length of time between charges.

I have a yoga tab that I use to browse the internet at home when I'm on the shitter, or to read manga/browse Sup Forums on mimi at home. Trying to find more uses for it, maybe as the hub for a kodi server, but I don't really know jack shit about kodi or how to watch copyrighted shit on there.

Had a Galaxy Tab 4 7" that I used for textbooks.. wanted a screen bigger than my phone because I'm fucking blind, but didn't need it for anything much more powerful than reading pdfs.
Still used it even when I didn't have class anymore. Watched a lot of Netflix on it, as I don't own a TV and don't enjoy sitting at my desktop to watch stuff.
Later gave the tab away to my aunt who doesn't have a smartphone or computer.
Now my Netflix machine is gone and I want a new tab just to watch shows on. I keep putting it off because I'm waiting for something decent under $150 with more than 2 gigs of RAM.
Tablets are in a very strange place. Hardware isn't advancing for tablets like phones or laptops/2-in-1s though the technology exists..

I was thinking of picking up a tablet with an amoled display for textbooks. I figured it would be the best kind for setting at min brightness and with high contrast.

I'm looking for something cheap that I can slap LineageOS or AOSP on to display RPG pdfs on. Any suggestions? 7/8' preferably.

you can cum on the display much easier

hello there, why are you jizzing on your electronics. don't do that.

Samsung galaxy a6 is still a worthwhile purchase. I got one a few weeks back and it lets you do stuff like multi-window multitasking more or less the same way as a desktop if you have a kb/mouse.

Best biggest tablet to use as a second monitor and to draw on?

NVIDIA Shield K1
>pretty much AOSP with enhancements
>8"
>good update history (4.4 - 7.0)
LOS 14.1 officially supports it since a few days, unofficial builds were out for a few months
>has a dedicated hdmi port
fullHD display

cons
>no charger included
>somewhat meh battery life on use

All in all do i love this fucker.

Same boat I was in, had my eye on the TabS1/2 but they kept on creeping up in price nearing £300 last time I looked.

Settled on a newer tabA 7inch. It came out last year but it's got internals from 2008 or something, but it reads my comics and light internet use well enough, 8GB of storge is retarded though.

Amoled blows the price away and just for wanting hardware buttons on the tablet means I pay 20% more than competitors, but at this price range there is nothing good, even tried a couple of chinese 8inch tablets and although they're fun toys, there is always something that stops them from being day to day useable.

Cool, thanks. The battery life isn't an issue, as I'll only be using it at a table near an outlet. Where's a good place to pick up a used one?

Sup Forums is the wrong place to ask about tablets as it's frequented by Asperger's Syndrome sufferers who enjoy tinkering obsessively with computers.

Tablets don't really provide an opportunity for tinkering, as they provide slick, secure and reliable access to useful software applications (or "apps") without any complications, so naturally Sup Forums can't see the point of them.

Furthermore, Sup Forums posters tend to have oversized phones, which makes possession of a tablet even more pointless in their eyes. The concept of a book-sized device that you can use on train, bus or airplane without having to squint at has no merit to them since they very rarely travel anywhere.

If pushed, Sup Forums users may grudgingly recommend Windows tablets, as they have a "real" operating system. The fact that Windows is designed for computers with keyboards and mice, and is a terrible touch OS with barely any touch-optimised software, means that these "tablets" are really laptops without keyboards, running software designed for desktops.

Finally, you will hear mention of the Nexus 7 2013. A four year old device with poor build quality and no SD card slot. This is because a few Sup Forums residents dabbled with the device when it was new and exciting, and have refused to move on with the times.

Tablets are just shit. I've heard you can install Ubuntu on the Surface tablets, but it requires a bunch of hacks and the hardware is overpriced shit. ARM stuff at all is a fucking joke. Retards like fail to see that tablets (regardless of OS) are just giant phones without cellular capabilities that runs a poorly scaled UI made for smaller stuff. Tablets running mobile operating systems are awkward as fuck. Even the x86 ones run Winshit, which spies on you and crashes during updates. Just carry a big smartphone.

Do you know how to spot a shill? They use phrases like "xyz product is the best" and "xyz is your only option/choice". It's a sales tactic to try and corner a potential customer and rope them into making a purchase. They also post the same pictures over and over again. This is similar to how a company will have the same billboard all over or the same commercials playing over and over on TV.

I never had a tablet.

I have a Galaxy Tab S3, the 10.1in variant. It has a great screen, it's exactly what I want from a tablet but I miss my Nexus 7's portability.

Are there any 7 or 8in tablets worth looking at nowadays?

Im thinking of buying a Xiaomi pad 3, its a clone Ipad and has nice specks for its price, but has GPS missing lel.

Im doubting because im not 100% if i could make run a linux distro

He's just a retarded butthurt beta ugly permavirgin just like you. He wishes that he could ejaculate on a beautiful curvy woman's body, but he'll never do that and you'll never do that either. Also, I'm an intelligent beautiful woman. Those are facts. Get over it.

199,99$ new
nvidia.com/en-us/shield/tablet/

if you get a used one make shure it's a k1 and not a recall model, as it has a killswitch. (more on xda)
If the back where it sais "SHIELD" is silver, it's the k1.

Android tablets are fucking shit and lag to the point of being unusable if you apply any updates. Problem is, if you don't update it, all your apps stop working because google forces APIs to enforce allowing apps to only run on the latest crippleware android version.

Go shill your toddler toy robots somewhere else.

cuz they all get rekt by the ipad